Moonglow Weizenbock | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by taez555 on 12-01-2001

Ratings: 1,451 |  Reviews: 742
2.97/5  rDev -26.5%

reviewed from notes

Appearance: Pours red/orange with a cream white head that dissapates a little too soon.

Smell: It has a sweet aroma, which is it's best quality. I can pick out molasses, a fruity hops and at 8-9% no wonder I get a whiff of alcohol too, but it doesn't take away so much.

Taste: A slight hint of alcohol is recognizible first followed by the molasses and malts with a fruity plum essence.

Mouthfeel: It's too light bodied with such a malt presence, I find it kinda weird.

Drinkability: The alcohol takes away from the sweet nectar of plums and molasses which would make this more drinkable than average. I was expecting more.

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%

A - Orange-ish hue, somewhat cloudy, lots of "floaters" in this one.
S - Carmel aromas, nothing that jumped out at me
T - Carmel taste upfront, alcohol aftertaste/backend
M - Medium body, light carbonation
O - At first I wasn't a fan of this specific beer, but each time I have one, it continues to grow on me. First time with this type of beer and I'll definitely try this beer or a similar kind again...

3.01/5  rDev -25.5%

First off, did anyone else see the little ghosts on the bottle, or was it just me? Anyways, I must say, this is one beer with mixed reviews from me. The appearance was stellar. It was a murky amber color with a beautiful head. The head was super thick and very frothy, which lasted quite a while. The smell was a mixture of many things. It was very strong in the area of fruits, like citrus, plums, and grapes. It was also had a subtle pumpkin pie smell to it. This also came out in the taste, which had both clashing together. I thought it was waaay to sweet and was more like fruit salad, than beer. I am definately going to stay clear of this one. I usually am a huge fan of what Victory puts out, but this one was stretchin' it for me.

3.02/5  rDev -25.2%

Pours a hazy brown-amber, with a four finger dark tan head, well carbonated with constant streams of bubbles rising through the glass. Did not lace at all.
Great aroma, sweet malt, banana, spice, wheat note.
Sweet, very sweet taste, very fruity, apricot, orange, apple juice, a cherry note.
Medium feel, too cloyingly sweet for me

3.05/5  rDev -24.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.75

Interesting. Would not choose to drink it again.

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

This one pours a light brown color with a small head that doesn't stick around long and doesn't leave much lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of citrus in it but nothing from the weizen part of it. No spicy yeast or banana or clove. The flavor has a lot of citrus and a decent malt, but seems very thin and metallic. Unimpressive.

3.09/5  rDev -23.5%

Moonglow is (was?) my first Victory beer. What an introduction!
I tried this last night during a Beer tasting held in the Rock Bottom, Long Beach.

Pours a deeply turbid, murky, orangey color, which troubled me a bit at first. Head never appeared, was present or even attempted to develop, a disappointment that with the hazy look made it resemble part unfermented home brew.
Nose, well without a head to hold it in place the aromas leap of the glass, up your nose and instantly reminded me of the smell of Banana flavoured milk I drank in the UK when I was a child. Some Cloves and a little fruitiness are there as well, but the bananas are over powering and dominate the beers smell.
Taste, again Bananas, but I also got Vanilla, Spices (incl. Cloves) and some Lemons. Minimal carbonation and a medium mouthfeel give this beer a somewhat light lacking feel. Hell, I only realised this beer was 8.7% when the Brewer at the Rock Bottom pointed it out – until then, at a guess, I would say it was only 5.5-6.5% tops. The tastes are quite complex, but I found the beer a bit “sickly” to be honest. Finish is sweet at first but draws to a dry conclusion.
A strange beer that perhaps I do not understand fully.
I shall return another day, Victory Weizenbock, when maybe I do!

3.11/5  rDev -23%

Package: 12oz. crowned, brown bottle. Nicest of Victory’s 12oz. labels depicts a New England farmhouse in a dell, framed by a blazing sunset. Ghostly skulls float above. Notations include: “Best before Sep 11 04,” “unfiltered,” “8.7% ABV,” and “bottle conditioned ale.”

Cost: Various singles and sixpacks from Bottle King and Finger Lakes Beverage

Presentation: 16oz. Shaker pint at ~50º

Appearance: Lighter than most of its peers from Aventinus, Ramstein, and Erdinger. Pours a turbid reddish orange and generates a substantial, fine-gauged head, that’s a bit darker than off-white. It resolves down pretty quickly, but leaves a nice sticky sheath on the walls of the glass. The body has a remarkable glow to it, really setting it apart from most beers I’ve seen and evoking a real sunset. Tiny particles can be seen bombarded around the hazy liquid by the rills of tiny bubbles. Another Victory beer that stimulates close inspection.

Smell: Promises a nice drinking experience. Strong clove and banana notes suffuse the bouquet. However, there are also some discordantly sharp, phenolic and alcoholic volatiles in the nose.

Taste: Now I can see where the discordant aromas come from. This is surprisingly harsh on the palate. There’s a lot of tart, citric, notes to this that clash with the sensations of over-ripe banana and pineapple. Sort of a sweet-and-sour experience. I could easily detect the alcohol in this as well (something it has in common with the V-series beers). Finishes shortly with a bit of a sour note.

Mouthfeel: Despite the apparently fine carbonation, this seemed a bit thin and rough on the palate. Some swirling tamed this a bit, but there were definitely some rough edges that are only made more apparent by the slightly sour tang.

Drinkability: I have to score this fairly low, because of the prominent alcohol notes, thinnish body, and overall discordant flavor profile.

Backwash: I’ve waited quite a long time to review this beer, because I thought my original samples were spoiled. Oddly, the first place I found these was from Finger Lakes Beverage. Subsequent purchases from Bottle King proved no better however. Now I am pretty confident in writing that there’s something inherent in this beer that I don’t like. First, it doesn’t really taste much like the other bocks I’m familiar with. It’s lighter in color and body, and more tart. There is a definite fruitiness, but it’s compromised by that sour backnote that ruins the experience for me. I will likely not buy this again, unless I see it on draught.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

Pours a foamy tan head of about an inch that settles quickly to almost nothing..a cloudy/murky gold in color...the nose has a sour apple nose and a faint wheat aroma...the taste is thirstquenching but it is a very sour apple flavor with little else emerging...It has an OK malt backbone, but I expected more of a spiciness and bananna flavor as well....very good but well below Aventius in my opinion....

Bottled Aug 25, 2005.

This smells like cloves and sweet bananas, tastes like spice bread. Really pretty beer, the lack of filtration gives a nice orange clody hue.

Tastes great, although heavier than I was expecting, a fine bock.

Wow, I can feel the heat in my stomach from the ABV on this one.

3.15/5  rDev -22%

I think this is my first weizen bock. It pours a light brown color, maybe a dark tea color. The nose is odd. There seems to be hints of orange peel and some spicey yeast tones. There is a lot of metallic flavor in there. I don't like it a lot. The orange flavors are also in there. I don't know about this one. The feel is somewhat thin and drinkability is not all that good. I don't think that victory is doing a good job with this one.

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown