Moonglow Weizenbock | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Alströms:
4.4

Ratings: 1,455 |  Reviews: 744
4.79/5  rDev +18.3%

A - Pours a hazy, light brown color. Head quickly dissipates with spotty lace.

S - Very fruity (bananas), with smells of cloves, spices and yeast. Notes of wheat and malt as well.

T - A bready and fruity taste that blends nicely with the wheat and malts. Yeasty as well. Not overly sweet, very delightful and extremely well balanced.

M - Medium bodied, rather smooth tasting with a nice finish. Hides the alcohol very well.

O - I found the Moonglow Weizenbock to be an amazingly tasty brew. Victory makes some excellent beers and this is no exception. Refreshing and delicious!

4.78/5  rDev +18%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

4.77/5  rDev +17.8%

Got a growler full of this stuff about a week ago. Quite delicious. My first thought was "saison" but after a few more sips, I was enthralled that a weizenbock had such a strong and wide variety of flavors.

Quite tasty, if you get a chance to drink it, do so.

4.76/5  rDev +17.5%

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

I found myself looking at cases of this at my local distributor, but somehow I had to hold off until I could be sure that I wanted a full 24 bottles of a somewhat obscure brew (durn ya, PA ! ) However, $28 later I can say that it was worth every cent. The Moonglow is the ultimate chill evening beer, as it is guaranteed to warm you with its 8.7%. It pours a deep reddish brown with a whispy yellow-tan head. The smells are of banana, clove, and vivacious fruit. The taste is very strong, beginning with a fruity blast of again, banana, along with other organic aromatics. The finish is tart, and leaves a slick feel on one's pallete. Not surprisingly, the aftertaste is very reminiscent of another big abv Victory beer, golden monkey. The thick fermented wheat taste is what lends the slight sour finish. I can't get enough. The complexity of this brew is what really stands out for me though. I enjoy beers that challenge a pallete, and just because it doesn't taste like my Hop Devil doesn't mean I'm apt to write it off as being 'less than what I expect from Victory'. I love this beer. It has everything you could ever want. Let it warm to 60 F, sip it slowly, and let the flavors interplay. Take your time and enjoy this one, then hide a few to age and pull them out when you need a treat on a cold day.

4.75/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a Chicago Bears pint glass. I could have gone for the appropriate glassware but hey the Bears were playing (and losing).

Aroma: RICH melanoidins with some wheat yeast spicy phenolics. Hints of green apple, maybe a little sulfur, and possibly banana.

Appearance: deep orange-ish amber, appropriatley cloudy with a persistent off-white head and damn nice lacing.

Flavor: WOW! As with the aroma very rich melanoidins backed by just enough hop bitterness for balance and same spicy wheat yeast phenolics. Delicious!

Mouthfeel: full bodied and luscious.

Overall: never had this beer before, have been wanting to try it, and lo and behold four-packs are on sale for $7.99 at Jenny St. Market. This is quite possibly the best weizenbock I've ever had and is certainly up there with Aventinus. Just a wonderful beer: prost!

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown