Moonglow Weizenbock | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Availability: Fall

Added by taez555 on 12-01-2001

Reviews: 742 | Ratings: 1,447
3.68/5  rDev -8.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark reddish gold into a Unibroue tulip. The narrow neck contributes to a massive three-finger head that lingers.

Smell: Sweet dried fruits, with a little peppery spiciness sneaking in at the end.

Taste: The fruits dominate the taste as well. The spiciness is a little more pronounced, and coriander comes in to join the black pepper. The odd thing to me, though, is that the wheat seems completely overpowered by the rest of the flavors; if I wasn't looking for it, I wouldn't have noticed it. I suppose I was expecting a little more balance, although I freely admit that I don't have much experience with this style.

Mouthfeel: Notwithstanding the foregoing, I like the mouthfeel. It's a little heavy, but it works for this.

Drinkability: Definitely a late evening sipper.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

What a great beer. This unique brew pours a hazy orange with a bright glow. The head is average. The aroma of this beer is incredible. It made my fiance(sp?), Beerhater gag from ten feet away. The aroma is a funky, yeasty, fruity, spicy kick in the nuts. The taste is a spicy complex mix of sour cherries, tart apples, and bitter grapefruit with a balancing malt sweetness. It all goes down pretty easily with a medium body and warm alcohol. There is no hop flavor or aroma, just enough bitterness for a bitter finish after the sweet and sour flavor. This is a fine brew. Last year I was unfamiliar with the style when I first tried it and was blown away by the crazy flavor when I was expecting a strong hefeweizen beer, but this was quite different.

4.35/5  rDev +7.7%

Victory has yet to dissappoint.

Served: Bottle, poured into an ale glass.

A: Creamy, thick, 2 inch head. Stuck around fairly long with a off-white with a tan hue. The body is a dark amber.

S: I can smell the malts and spices. Reminds me of a witbier, just slightly heavier.

T: The spices and malts are there. The ABV adds to the flavor no doubt about that. Good stuff.

M: Starts out mellow with a witbier flavor then finishes with a mild spiciness.

D: Even though I dished out $11.00 for this six pack, I'm glad I will be able to enjoy the other five instead of wishing I never purchased it. It's a nice beer to sit down and relax with. Has a lot of character.

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Came in an 11oz pour a dark copper with a thin white head that died to just a wisp.

Smells of wheat and grain is about all I could get, possibly honey or sweetness. The taste is almost all Belgian, citrus mostly lemon and some honey sweetness on the finish.

It was slightly syrupy on the tongue with the sweet aftertaste, a nice sipping beer but not all that complex.

4.1/5  rDev +1.5%

A tree bark colored beer with a good off white head that lasted a long time. The nose was bread-like; yeasty, grainy and wheaty. There were some aromas of pear and overripe apples. the taste was real clean and the wheat flavors dominated. Same fruit flavors as I smelled were present in the beer. Good mouthfeel, well balanced carbonation and a nice balance to the flavors of wheat and mild hop background. The beer finished dry and after some time the residual hop flavors really came out. A long finishing beer that was quite enjoyable

3.85/5  rDev -4.7%

Appearance: Poured a very cloudy, amber with a small head that became a mere white ring around the glass... looked like a glass of shaken, instant iced tea.

Aroma: As expected, big spicy cloves and musty bananas, with just a hint of apples and honey.

Taste: Nice. Spicy cloves up front, sour apples in the middle which slowly developed into a lemony, twangy finish like a lemon drop, with just a mild bitter thing happening. For the most part though, it definitely gets sweeter and sweeter as you drink it; all of the flavors constantly intermingle with an orange blossom honey taste the entire time. Tends to be a little cloying though. The high ABV was noticeable at the finish... it shot right up through my nose post-swallow. After only a few gulps on an empty stomach, I began to feel a warming in my gut as well. The ABV is never overwhelming though.

Mouthfeel: Very carbonated, full and smooth, warm on the tongue... A real mouth full.

Drinkability: I drank this very quickly. It's a tasty brew. I could easily have another. A good fall brew overall.

4.25/5  rDev +5.2%

First weizenbock, but I did purchase Aventinus at the same time so that will change soon.

I think I had this first one a bit too cold so I let it warm up a bit. As I did I was not disappointed

Pours a hazy orange brown with thin white head that leaves light lacing on the edges of the glass

Smells mostly of banana with estery alcohol notes and sweet malt.

Smooth and tasty. Wheat backed up by some sweetness. Banana flavor is at the center with some nice alcohol warmth.

I don't think I would drink a 6-pack of this, but I will continue to buy Moonglow. Really a nice change from a lot of hefe's I have been having. I think I will enjoy the style

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

12oz from Hoosick in Troy.

dark, good bit of amber foam to be found with a good pour.

strong scent of dark fruit, dark sugar. dark malts.

taste reflects the scent, dark fruits, candi sugar.

mf is reasonable for the style and ABV. not obvious that it's 8.7. the sharpness on the teeth is reminiscent of aventinus weizenbock.

not too drinkable. 2 would do it for me. but a nice warmer for a cold autumn day.

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

Look: Dark orange color, like a lava lamp with suspended yeast flakes, head dissipates quickly, light lacing

Smell: Bananas, cloves, cinnamon, dried fruit

Taste: Up Front: Tastes like banana bread with walnuts. Finish: The bread lingers, little spice, alcohol present

Mouthfeel: Happy thick mouthful of chewy yuminess!

Drinkability: It has a great flavor and you can't tell it's almost 9% abv, too heavy for session beer

Overall Impression:I am not a big wheat beer drinker, but this beer kicks ass and has a comfort food feel that makes it a good beer on a snowy day!

4.87/5  rDev +20.5%

Just a little slice of heaven this one is. Had this on tap at the Victory brewpub en route to the Beer Yard. God, am I glad I stopped. Victory really proved itself to me with this beer, because before I wasn't really a fan. I realize now how fortunate I am to live so close to one of the great American breweries. *gets a little veklempt, wipes tear from eye, takes deep breath*

Okay, I'm gonna review this one from memory (taking notes on beer is just not something I'm prepared to do just yet. Somewhere I have to draw the line. Maybe I'm just in denial of my beergeekdom.)

Beautiful copper color. Rich bananna, yeast, and pumpkin pie spice aroma. Taste is not unlike a Belgian dark strong ale, but this has a lot more body and is much richer. An explosive symphony of flavor. Describing the taste too much just won't do it justice. Alcohol is not noticeable in the flavor, but you can tell that this is a sipper. If you have actually taken a minute or two out of your life to read this, do yourself a favor and get this. Actually, drive to the brewery and get this on draft. Yeah, you may live in Nebraska, but you're a beer geek. You don't have anything better to do.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

cloudy deep burnt red color of aged pennies. significant caramel colored head recedes to a small collar. intensely fruity aroma of tart apples and ripe bananas with a medicnal phenolic undertow. sparsely carbonated yet still full and lively on the tounge. solid fermented wheat backbone with more banana and green apple flavor in the middle. muted bitterness, dryness comes more from the peppery phenolic character. goes down easy despite its size, just a hint of alcoholic fire in the finish. one of the best seasonals victory makes. world class.

4.6/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: About a 1/2 finger gingerbread looking head - with some okay retention and lacing. Body is a lovely dark honey with mahogany accents. Lots of sediment floating around in this guy (whoops, didn't realize).

Smell: Nose is very malty, with notes of ginger, clove, and wheat toast.

Taste: A ton of malts up front in this one - lots of caramel and gingerbread flavors. Also notice some sweet sugar in this guy. The end has the slightest of hops to provide just the right balance from this one going over the top.

Mouthfeel: Smooth medium bodied with some nice stickiness at the end.

Drinkability: Incredibly light and smooth, and had no idea the ABV was as high as it is until I was writing my review. A really light beer, but certainly warming. Alcohol is completely masked, and I would've put this in the mid 6's. This is one of my new favs.

4.7/5  rDev +16.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Served on tap in a 20 oz mug. Now who is driving me home?

Seriously, this is a great beer. There isn't a thing not to like. It has that fruity estery quality I associate with Belgians. It s color is that of a good scotch ale. You can tell there's alcohol in here - it's 8.7% but it isn't overpowering. Its head is fairly thin with just a slight ring as I drink it down. What else do you need to know? If you haven't had this one and its available, snap it up!

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

This was my first weizenbock and I was very impressed with Victory's offering.

The smell was raisin with banana in the background.

The taste was fantastic. Very sweet with the dark fruit coming through nicely. There was a slight bitterness near the end that balanced the sweetness.

The finish was long without any bitterness...just a very enjoyable sweet bread.

Overall, this was an awesome beer that I will continue to buy and enjoy!

3.66/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into pint glass:

Look: Pours an amber color with a head that quickly dissipates. Very little to no lacing present.

Smell: Heavy notes of banana, maybe some dark fruit, clove, malty.

Taste: Lots of banana present along with clove, malts, wheat. This beer might be more fitting in the fall on a cool autumn day.

Feel: Medium bodied.

Overall: This type of beer is not my style but wanted to try due to high rating. I haven't had many weizenbocks so not sure how this rating stacks up against others of this style out there. I would give this beer other shot maybe after trying some others of this style to see how it stacks up.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

This beer was a cloudy dark copper orange in color with a good head of beige foam that shrunk to a thin layer and left some lace.Typically active weizen carbonation with lots of bubbling.
Smell was standard weizen aroma of banana and clove with a bit more malty sweetness present.
Flavor was a bit more tart than expected with tastes of banana, clove and tart apple fruitiness blended into a caramel malty character. Fuller, creamier mouthfeel than a typical weizen, with a lasting finish.
Nice beer and very drinkable, tasted like a cross between a Belgian dubbel and a German Weizen.

4.32/5  rDev +6.9%

Picked this up in a six pack with the help of BA reviews. I wasn't disappointed a bit. I am a Hefe fan and wanted to try something with a little more oomph than a summer Hefe. It poured a beautiful copper/orange hazy color. The smell hit me immediately. Bananas and clove. The taste was phenomenal. It improved in taste as it warmed a bit. Surprisingly drinkable with an 8.70% abv. I could easily drink three or four of these over the course of an evening. I continue to love the products Victory puts out!

4.13/5  rDev +2.2%

This is a good one from Victory. The color is nice- a dark red- orange, and the aroma is nice and spicy, sweetish but not really sweet. Then the taste, well that's quite nice as well, it makes me smile. I seem to either smile or make a horrid face with beer- I'm not a professional... Yes, Moonglow tastes spicy, almost a sour fruitiness to it too. It's very drinkable, it feels soft in my mouth, and I tend to forget about the alcohol content in this stuff. So they definitely did a good job with this seasonal.

3.82/5  rDev -5.4%

I don't think that aging my Moonglow in the cellar did this beer any favors. The bottle said "Enjoy By" Aug 29, 08, so a year later I thought I'd give this a whirl. Looks fine when first poored, with a nice orange base and a rocky tan two finger head. But the head quickly fades and with little visible carbonation, the beer looks more like an uncarbonated cider. The nose is sweet and a touch of alcohol pokes through occasionally. The taste is also sweet with a slightly prickly carbonation that leads to a dry peppery hop finish. A little odd actually. I'll have to find a fresh one to compare.

4.2/5  rDev +4%

Not quite what I expected from Victory but a good beer nonetheless. Pours a dark reddish-orange with a head that really seems to sneak up on you. Smells sweet and sugary, and a little wheaty. The taste is a lot more complex than it seems at first--it evolves from almost unreasonably sweet to grainy and alcoholic, bearing a faint hint of apple cider. The sweetness quickly fades from the aftertaste leaving bitterness on the palate.

Of the seasonal brews I've had this year, Moonglow is certainly one of the best, but it is also the most expensive, hands-down. I bought it thinking that, being a Victory, it had the potential to rock my world. In the end however, I wish I would have sought out a store that sold it by the single, instead of $11 for a sixer. Funny how I can say this is both one of the best beers I've had recently and one of the most overpriced I've had ever. When you think about it, buying good beer can be really funny sometimes.

4.42/5  rDev +9.4%

Poured this one into a Duvel tulip. Nice deep orangIe/ruby color, with a bit of haze to it, and a nice tan thick head toppping it off.

I love the smell of this one: dark fruits, plums, wheat, biscuits, bananas, malt, vanilla.

The taste is full and complex, giving much of what the aroma hinted at: dark caramel malts mixed with a lot of different fruit varieties, and a bit of that classic weizen flavor. The finish is nice, with a bit of sweetness, though not cloying.

Mouthfeel is full and smooth, with moderate carbonation.

This beer scores well on drinkability. A lot of complex flavor packed into a beer that goes down quite easily. This is more in the style of dark weizenbocks, like Aventinus.

3.57/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours with very little head that quickly dies to a thin, patchy cover of slick-looking, tiny grayish bubbles with zero cling. Carbonation is visible despite the murk of yeast particles suspended in this sienna or iced tea-colored liquid with foggy orange highlights. Aromas of gingerbread and dried banana chips with hints of dried apple, clove, and bubblegum are initially pleasant, with a big finish like vanilla extract. Prickly nosefeel full of acid and spice is a bit thin. And then, everything gets washed out by alcohol. This is just a hint of things to come: flavors bitter with clove, sweet like bubblegum being slathered on banana bread, hints of raisins, and alcohol. Aftertaste is a vise grip of nutmeg, clove, SenSens, and alcohol. Intense, tingling mouthfeel practically numbs the palate with carbonation or... could it be... ALCOHOL? Surely, intrinsic flavors are being masked here. At 8.7 abv this is a one-at-a-time type of beer befitting an autumn afternoon, but other than that, somewhat heavy-handed. Complex for sure, but what's the point when it's got a body like mouthwash?

4.3/5  rDev +6.4%

A: Billowy, dirty white, three-finger head rises off a hazy, dark copper-brown body. A pretty, coating lacing holds to the sides of the glass.

S: Solid spicy banana-bubble gum wheat beer smell. Sweet smell fills the nose and melts in the back of the mouth.

T: Tasty banana bready flavor hits the mouth first and turns sweet in the aftertaste. The malt and wheat sweetnesses combine together wonderfully.

M: Some light carbonation and a medium bodied feel. The lasting impression however is the coating sugary syrup that wraps itself around the tongue.

D: I went into this beer with low expectations not wanting to judge this based on the only other weizen bock I'd ever tried, Aventinus, but this one held up to those high standards. So much so I don't think I'll need to buy another Aventinus unless I'm ever in Germany.

Served: in weizen glass.

4.08/5  rDev +1%

Appearance - reddish brown in color; a little copperish.

Smell - malty in aroma, i can smell a little caramel in it.

Taste - smooth, very smooth. great balance of both malts and hops in this variety of beer.

Drinkability - i never had a weizenbock, but definitely enjoyed this one

3.45/5  rDev -14.6%

Pours a very cloudy caramel color with a small light tan head -- active carbonation and quite a bit of sediment in the bottle. The aroma is very sweet and floral, with almost honeysuckle tones. It has a very nice, full mouthfeel that was far less "bubbly" than I expected from the appearance, but the taste didn't work for me. Not that it was bad -- in fact, it was almost a "pretty" taste that reminded me of spiced liquid flowers. But it was way too sweet for my palate. It was fairly easy drinking, I suppose - -and it might be interesting to try it on a hot summer day, but the sweetness would discourage me from more than one.

Moonglow Weizenbock from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown