Love Belgian Beer?

ca. 44 IBU

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,074 | Ratings: 5,120
3.51/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Taste similar to a porter with 159 calories per bottle at 5.3% ABV. Not a fan of this similar porter style taste. The aftertaste is strong/bold, a bit better than the average. You can taste the hops and malt strong and it has the heavy feel of a Guinness with less calories. This pilsner is good but not for me.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Lemon yellow slightly hazy brew with a thin white head that quickly recedes to a fine smoky haze. A good swirl does, however, bring back a good cap. Quite a few wet arcs lace the glass.

Smells clean and refreshing, but pretty weak. I can smell sweet grains and some thin hops.

Tastes much better than it looks and smells. Very big acid hop presence that borders on sour. Lemon rind and unsweetened grapefruit are unaccompanied by any sort of balancing malt. Very acrid and astringent. This brew is like a sharp biting blade of tart hops.

Mouthfeel is appropriately light and quenching. Good carbonation level....not to bubbly like some pilsners. Drinkability is somewhat lessened for me due to the very acidic and sour hop profile...but strangely I found myself craving another.

This is not a bad beer. I like it for what it manages to accomplish, but it's not my cup of tea (glass of beer?)

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Pour is straw yellow with a dusting of white head on top. The aroma is crisp malts, a bit of biscuit on the edge.

The flavour starts out flowery, and gives way to a solid biscuity middle. The floral aspects hang out on the back of the tongue, adding some depth without taking over. Slightly astringent on the finish, but overall solid taste.

The mouth on this is about what one would expect, not very thick, some hop action but not a tonne. The drinkability is also par for the course, I would have given it a bit more love here but for the finish.

The bottom line: Victory has put together a solid take on the style. This would easily be up into the 4.0 range if the finish was better though, as the front and middle segments of the taste are easily in that rating category for the class. Altogether, given the price this one probably won't be in my regular rotation, but I would try it again if I ran into it on tap.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Aroma is slightly sulpher tinged and sharp with hops. Lemonade yellow with a huge three finger thick head that is frothy and bubbly. Fore is grainy/malty with a lot of sweetness from that malt. Hop profile is lower than I thought it would be. Definitely a great warm weather beer here as it is quite quenching.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Nice head, nice carbonation, good looking pilsner.

Aroma you can smell a couple feet away. Sweet floral smell.

Bitter hoppy taste at first, followed by sweetness.

Full bodied for a pilsner, stingy aftertaste.

This is a lot like the moonlight lunatic lager.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Pours a clear golden color with a 1/2" rocky white head. Lots of effervescence. Clearer than the last time I had it.

Aroma: Generally spicy pilsner-like smell. Smells pretty similar to Summerfest, perhaps a touch spicier.

Taste: Hoppy arrival, hoppy across mid-palate. Big, bitter finish - dry. Painfully bitter on the finish (for the style).

Mouthfeel: Mid-to-lightweight body; a touch less carbonation than I typically associate with the style.

Overall: This is lightyears better than the last bottle of this I had. That one was clearly off (always check bottle dates, and thank you Victory for having them). Still, if the goal is a clear, crisp, easy-drinker, this is off the mark. The hops on the finish are just too strong. In terms of enjoyment, I'd put Mama's Lil' Yella and Summerfest (both Czech) ahead of this.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured a clear golden yellow with a small head that quickly disappeared. Generous lacing left streaks down the sides of the glass.

Subtle hoppy and skunky aromas.

Taste was somewhat hoppy with hints of citrus and spices coming through as well. Slightly bitter aftertaste. Crisp and refreshing.

Very easy drinking.

Definitely more flavorful than your average pilsener but overall not much better.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Poured from bottle into pint glass.

A- Golden straw color with a thick head and very active carbonation.

S- Light grass smell with a grainy backround.

T- Light lager taste with a nice hoppy backbone.

M- Very light feel; very crisp.

D- Oh so drinkable. Would make a great BBQ session beer and I will test that theory soon...

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Serving from a 12 ounce bottle. Appearance- very pale straw colour with a slight haze. Head comes and goes quickly. Nose- grassy spicy hops. Taste- quite spicy in the front end, which quickly dries out into an aspirin like bitterness in the finish. Malt is very clean- a little bready. Carbonation is medium. Its tasty- just seems too harsh for this delicate style.

12 oz bottle into pint glass

A - Bright yellow, ever so slightly hazy, with plenty of active carbonation. A little half finger head that dissipates quickly into a wisp. Not really the kind of color I like to see in a beer, but spot on for the style.

S - Yeasty and dry, almost a bit Belgian in character. There is a slight slight touch of bitter hop hidden in the back. Also present is a sweet citrus (orange or tangerine?), but only a bit. Almost smells like a Belgian wheat beer crossed with a Pils. Unique.

T - Sharp initial sip. Very crisp pine and floral hop flavor. Malty and perhaps a bit of toasted bread. I really really dislike the (earthy? certainly very bitter, but in a bad way) aftertaste, which is a shame since I like the rest of the profile.

M - Light body with some nice carbonation. A bit dry, which I like.

D - It takes a lot of getting used to for me. I enjoyed it half the time, and half the time I felt like I had to force it down. Some may suggest this is a pilsner for IPA fans since it accentuates the hops, but I just can't really enjoy it. I've never been a fan of pilsners, but thought this would convert me. It didn't.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

A: Rich golden straw with tough of chill haze. Okay size head with fair retention and pretty good lace. Not fancy or outlandish, but spot on.

S: Nice firm noble hop aroma – grassy, floral, herbal, and softly spicey. Doughy malts in the background with just a touch of grainy sweetness.

T: Rather hoppy and bitter for a Pils. Opens grassy and herbal with a fair bit of spice and quite a bite. There is briefly a splash of mildly sweet doughy malts. In the middle hops transition to spicey, earthy, and strongly bitter. A clean, scraping, cleansing bitter. Only well into the finish do some resin and hop oils come out. There is also a hint of lemon throughout and a slight astringency poking though.

M: Enough body to let you know there are some malts here. Despite the slightly narrow and thin taste this appears to be a frogs hair over medium body with CO2 pretty well matched. Start semi-dry and goes to quite dry. A bit palate cleansing. A touch astringent and even puckering.

D: More like, “A bold pilsener beer.” Very firmly bitter & hoppy. Almost unbalanced. More of a challenge to the palate than I usually think of for a Pilsner. May be pushing boundries a bit, but at least in ain’t no macro swill.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

A-Poured a clear golden-apricot color w/light head, retaining a thin cap and leaving faint tracing.
S-Aromas of flowery hops, light malt, and wet-dog.
T-Light malt. Taste is crisp and clean. Aftertaste is bitter hops w/nice tart, citrus bite, but the sour taste lingers in mouth for a long time, and gradually turns unpleasant.
M-Good carbonation backbone with lighter body. Decent for style.
D-Light on the palate and easy to drink. Very refreshing.

Ba Review #119
Served On: 02/03/2012
Glassware: Pilsner Glass
Labeled ABV: -
Date/ Code: Feb 12, 2012

This was mixed in with a sixer of home brews a buddy dropped off to me.

Look: Poured a bright golden yellow. The beer was very clear and had good carbonation. The head was a thin layer of white spongy foam.

Smell: Crisp and grassy aroma with some hints of spice and lemon peal. A faint malt was in the background.

Taste: The taste certainly was of a quality pilsner. First was some grassy citrus with a well pronounced lemon peal note in the middle. Finish was a quick hit of malts and then into a slightly bitter-sweet aftertaste of the grass and light citrus.

This is an excellent take on the style. I would have expected nothing less from Victory. This one would convert any BMC drinker for sure.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

I’m not sure exactly what to think of this one…I like it, but there’s just something that I don’t like about it. It pours a slightly hazy golden color with a huge rocky head that seems to never die down. It leaves a thick, sticky lace all over the glass. There is high amount carbonation that seems force the aromas right up your nose. Aromas are filled with sweet hoppy goodness, spices, and citrus peel. The taste packs a big punch of citrus-like hops. I think this might be a little to bitter for my taste. It’s a good beer, but I don’t think it’s my style.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A- Like a macro lager. Clear, golden yellow. Typical looking for a beer.

S- Floral hops and musty grains! Not a clean smell, if you know what I mean. Very different for a lager, even a German Pils.

T- Hoppy! The hops imparts a spicy quality to the beer. Moderately bitter finish. Carbonation is very tingly on the tongue.

M- Almost a medium mouthfeel. But overall this is an easy drinking beer. The bitterness is making it hard to drink.

This was an ok beer, Nothing special. I don't think I'll buy this beer again. It's a little too bitter, and not refreshing enough for me to warrant keeping this around.

3.47/5  rDev -14.5%

On tap at the Purple Onion, Saluda, NC.

Pilsner? Really? It certainly looks like a pilsner in the glass, but beyond that, I wouldn't even peg it for a lager, let alone a Pilsener. To me it was much more reminiscent of an IPA or an APA. That being said, it's a great beer in its own right. The palate was somewhat thin and sulfurish, and the nose somewhat sweet, but I'd gladly have more. Nice session beer if they have it on tap. I doubt I'd buy a 6-pack, though.

When I want an American-made Pilsenser, I think I'll stick to Trumer.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - this pils pours a very pale straw yellow color, with a full finger of rocky pure white head, moderate carbonation swiftly ascends to the top

S - a sweet malty aroma, with a great hoppy character pushing through, the faint citrine aroma of lemons sneaks in the nose at the end

T - very hoppy, much more so than i thought from the aroma, sweet mlats are more subdues and the lemony citrus flavor is more pronounced, very tasty

M&D - dry and balanced, very tasty , im not too experienced in the way of pilseners, but this seems like a high quality one, very easy down, a nice brew, as is the pattern with Victory

3.47/5  rDev -14.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

brown bottle poured into a pilsner glass
a: Clear golden yellow with fine light to average carbonation. A gentle pour yields a finger of white head that dissipates after about 5 minutes leaving a decent amount of lacing which holds nicely to the glass. Pools of foam also tend to remain on the surface of the beer.

s: Nothing sticks out. A little biscuit balanced by a very subtle floral hop aroma.

t: Again, well balanced with a slight but noticeable hop bite. Smooth maltiness provides a hint of chewiness to the beer. Hops on the finish which is appealing as it lingers however I'm not getting floral as in the nose. Not nearly as hoppy as some have opined and definitely not citrusy. Maybe slightly more piny or herbal.

m: Very light body with the bubbles providing a slight tingle. Again I notice a "fine" quality to the bubbles. Doesn't look like much but I kind of like it. I think this works nicely against the malt too, tying the flavor profile together. I would like a bit more more carbonation in this beer.

o: Have to say I'm a bit disappointed with Prima especially after reading that it is among the absolute best in the style. Same as with Sierra Nevada Summerfest which is nice of course but also fails to impress me in any way. Certainly nothing bad to report but while interesting, also a little underwhelming at its price.

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - pale, hazy straw. an inch tall, fluffy white head retains itself for a fairly long time. mild carbonation visible.

S - strong but balanced aromas grainy malts and earthy European hops.

T/M - just like the nose the flavor is made up of a well balanced combination of pale, grainy German malts and flowery, earthy hops. the rich, and slightly sweet malts make up the front of the beer while the hops take a subtle back seat. very refreshing, but the flavors are a bit boring for me. light bodied, mild carbonation.

Overall - not one of my favorite styles. this is a decent, light beer for the hot summer days and a good interpretation of the style.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

12 oz. bottle poured into a pils glass.

A-Very clear golden color.Huge head and lots of bubbles.

T-Sweet and stout,I couldnt taste the hops in it.

S-Sweet smell,I coulnt tell ya what kind of smells other then being sweet there are in it.

M-It attacks your palate,I think its a typical pilsner,much better then Budweiser.

D-Good "session" beer,as I drank more, it grew on me.I dont really care for many pils but I liked this one.It was a good change from other beers ive been consuming.I would have this again and I reccomend this to any beer drinker.Kudos to Victory!

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a hazy straw yellow color with a substantial, fluffy white head. The aroma is an interesting combination of lemony acidity and some musty yeastiness. The flavor likewise features a combination of musty, earthy, and lemony hop characteristics, with a light biscuity malt presence adding some subtle sweetness. The fine, soft carbonation is pleasant and helps to make this one go down easily.

Overall, although this bottle was only about a week away from the end of its suggested 'best before" date, it still provided a bright yet earthy flavor profile that was a bit unexpected but quite nice. I'll have to keep my eye out for a fresher sample, though, to get the full effect of this renowned pilsener.

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Something is amiss with this current batch of PP

Normally, PP is accentuated by a aggressive hop spice from noble hops. However, this latest batch is more of a citrus, fruity hop. Good for an IPA, not good here!!!

If I were a betting man (and I am!) I would wager that Victory has switched hop type here. I hope it's just temporary, b/c it's really done the beer a disservice and I'm rating this current batch accordingly...

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

a: finger-thick head quickly thins to a light layer and ring, clear gold color, bubbles abound
s: mellow hops dominated by malts
t: grassy, bitter hops are constant/dominant, slight hoppy finish balanced with malts
m: light to medium body with mouth-full of carbonation
d: i'm not a big pilsner fan, but this was a pretty solid beer

3.46/5  rDev -14.8%

Pours a crystal clear, extra light straw color. Fluffy white head is well supported. Aromas are wheaty, spicy hoppy, and slightly skunky. Body is quite heavy for the style (alcohol?). Hops aren't as forward as I anticipated. Reminds me of a pretty standard American Pils. It's clean and refreshing, though I'd like a bit more carbonation. Exp date of June 28th, 06.... I feel this is a much better brew when fresh. Bitterness doesn't come in any more so than an Urquell, but it is appropriate. Overall, a bit of a dissapointment, I anticipated something more enlightening by the previous reviews. Blue Paddle is local and a mere equivelent.

3.45/5  rDev -15%

On tap at the Hopleaf.

Pale yellow like so many other macro lagers. Minor lacing that sets this apart somewhat. Grassy, grainy aroma, not better than bottled samples i've had. Flaccid appearance, looks anemic for a PIls.

Mild bitterness on the palate, could use a bigger hop kick to it. Engineered to appeal to macro drinkers, surely. Not snappy, kind of dull overall. Fuller than usual due to a nice level of carbonation. Simple and non-intellectual, drink by the six-pack.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown