Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

4.1

Ratings: 5,263 |  Reviews: 2,111
1.75/5  rDev -56.5%

1.96/5  rDev -51.2%

I don't really get the (relative) hype on this beer. If you want a Pilsner with no flavor, I guess it's a good choice, but there's much better craft Pilsners out there.

2.11/5  rDev -47.5%

Pours a pale gold color with a white foamy 2 finger head with decent retention. There is a strong smell of overly bitter hops, perhaps too strong, and bread malt. Also smells somewhat like feet.

The taste is also bitter, overly bitter in my opinion. The malt tones down the hop bitterness a little. Light bodied, well carbonated. Fairly poor drinkability. Not my favorite Pilsener. I will avoid this in the future.

2.21/5  rDev -45%

this was over hopped to my palate and had a strange aftertaste of bitterness that was not enjoyable. the normal bitter refreshing characteristics are gone and the overly bitter exotic tastes come through in a way you do not want to drink them. This made Urquell's taste seem amazingly more refreshing and enjoyable.

2.22/5  rDev -44.8%

Smells just like a miller lite. Probably good if you like the style. I don't so thought it was god awful.

2.24/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Bottle: Poured a clear golden colored beer with almost no head. Carbonation is really weak which seems to be a problem with some of the Victory that I had lately. Aroma is quite subtle has I would expect of a pils but the taste is way too sweet for a pils. I’m guessing they put too much of cascade hops in this. There is some way better pils out there.

2.24/5  rDev -44.3%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - The body is pale yellow in color. The head is white in color and stands two and a half inches tall.

S - The aroma is grassy and grainy with a whiff of lemon from time to time.

T - Wow! The hops are more than I expected. I get a lot of bitterness with some slight metallic taste.

M - It feels thicker than a pilsner. I get a mild chalky feel on my tongue.

D - I'll just say I'm glad I didn't get a six pack.

2.26/5  rDev -43.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Pour yielded a thin white head that left decent lacing. Beer is an attractive sunflower gold with very active carbonation streaming from the bottom.

Aroma: standard German Lager smell of sour and grassiness.

Mouthfeel: for all the carbonation the mouthfeel is a little flat and lifeless.

Taste: hard for me to get past the astringent herb bitterness followed by a soapy aftertaste. Beer improved slightly as it warmed but it really seems like this a beer that is over-hopped, but not with Cascade or Centennial but rather with German Noble Hops. The bitterness overwhelms my taste buds completely.

Notes: I've had 5 bottles of this and has not grown on me. Stoudt's Pils seems immediately more enjoyable. Prima Pils is almost a drainpour for me.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown