Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

ca. 44 IBU

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,101 | Ratings: 5,207
4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

If you aren't a pilsner drinker or have gone away from the fizzy yellow beers, don't let this one slips through your fingers.

Look and feel is definitely one of a German Pilsner. The taste is very smooth, creamy and balanced. There aren’t any off-putting notes like stinkiness or bitterness. Very subtle flavors keep coming out through the mouthfeel. Very easy drinking, doesn’t leave you wanting more. Definitely something you should experience to see what a true pilsner should taste like.

4.8/5  rDev +18.2%

On the lighter side of golden, and bright, with a fluffy white head. The nose is full and floral, like a bouquet of fresh flowers, which enlivens the spirit. It's presented alongside a pleasant grassy (even minty) aroma. The strong hoppy flavor is somewhat surprising for the style, but works well on top of the bready backbone. The finish is wonderfully dry, clean and very dry in fact, but with spicy, lemony notes that linger on the palate.

This is, I think, a great American beer, one which takes the traditional Pilsener style and transforms it into something new, especially with its bold hoppiness. Especially lovely in the warm summer weather. Don't get me wrong, I love the big beers too. But Prima Pils is my highest rated beer.

4.68/5  rDev +15.3%

Appearance:
A rather cloudy beer with some protein haze, unexpected for style. A light golden color, OK. Good carbonation, head retention.

Smell:
Amazing, pils malt and continental hops, in perfect harmony. No esters, fusels, diacetyl or other flaws.

Taste:
Clean grainy taste, followed by lingering bitterness. A tad more bitter than most German Pilseners, however this is probably closer to traditional style than modern german pilsners. I am going to give a 4.5 here.

Mouthfeel:
Crisp and lovely.

Drinkability:
Jesus, I am not sure I can think of a beer that is this drinkable. I could have 50 or 100. Ok... 5 or 6.

Great Pils. If it were clear, it'd be almost perfect.

4.75/5  rDev +17%

I got this beer on tap at Victory's Brew-pub a few months ago...

A: Nice champagne color -- pale bronze, almost pearl, with a nice head and excellent froth.

S: Hops, hops, & more hops. Herbal undertones (mint, sage, rosemary) and perhaps a little pine sap. Overall, really pronounced, and rather intense (maybe some clover honey too?)

T&M: Upon smelling the beer, you'd think it might be "heavy" -- wrong, what an excellent job. This beer is light, crisp, and refreshing. The hops are really there, but the subtle malt balances the bitterness, creating a dry, but friendly brew. There is a hint of lime zest on the finish that really adds to the refreshing nature of this pils.

Overall -- fantastic. Probably my favorite beer on the market. I like to see a hoppy beer that isn't too thick and gritty. Good job by Victory. The bottle is nice, but having this one on tap makes a world of difference. I've enjoyed it with Cajun/Creole fish dishes -- remarkable! I'd definitely recommend this to someone who finds IPAs a little too much to handle.

4.45/5  rDev +9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Clear, pale golden hue under a well-lacing one finger head.

Smell: Caught some tart apple, and a huge floral hops aroma.

Taste: The tart apple sure enough hit first, and opened up to reveal some subtle pale malt. The hops really dominated though, with a delicious floral bouquet.

Mouthfeel: Crisp and tart, with medium carbonation and a nice, dry hoppy finish.

Drinkability: This is a great Pilsener. It's very flavorful, and downplays the grassy, hay-like quality usually found in the style. It's got a great burst of hoppiness that is delightfully unique. Top marks from me.

4.39/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A light yellow lager, with a strong head upon it that seems to last quite a bit. Really nice Belgian Lace on the side of the glass as the head dissipates slowly. It is a little more opaque than others in the lager line, and if judged, this would likely be a mark against it.

Aroma: There's a strong hit of hops here, even a bit of floral-ness along with it. (Hey, is floralness a word?)

Taste: It'd be a little arrogant of me to say that this is what a pilsner should taste like. Let me instead say that this is what I imagine a pilsner should be. Stong hit of bitterness right up front that slowly fades away. Then the essence of the hops comes into play, with the bitterness intermingling with some floral tastes and some orangey-citrus hints in the background. If there's a malt or grain here, I'm not finding it, but I don't think that's the point of pilsners. I'm not a fine of bitter beers, but this one has a nice complexity about it which I find intriguing.

Mouthfeel: Brighter than most pilsners, but the effervescence quickly fades. Probably the weakest part of the beer. But still better than most.

Drinkability: If you're a fan of pilsners, this might be one which needs to be sought out. It's complex and far more interesting than other pilsners I have sought out. Not watery at all. A very good beer.

4.7/5  rDev +15.8%

Bright gold with just a bit of head. A small amount of lacing appears with each sip. And sip I did. One glorious sip after another. Clean and full of hops. There was great joy in finding that classic pilsner taste that I love after cracking this open. The hops are potent, not over the top. The mouthfeel is crisp and tangy, balanced with a nice malt warmth. The finish is a hophead dream. The taste buds tingled with joy, allowing for a nice pause between sips to savor the flavor. Good stuff.

4.57/5  rDev +12.6%

This is a beer I drink on a weekly basis but have never taken the time to review. I've had this both on draft and bottle many times. However, I think a fresh keg is the best way to experience this brew. So I will review based on that experience.

A: A bright golden yellow with a slight haze. Foamy white head which settles to 1/2" with some basic lacing. Not particularly beautiful, but good for the style.

S: Floral hop notes with some pepper, lemon zest, and biscuit notes. Very clean and refreshing aroma. No noticable sulfur which is a huge plus in my book. Hands-down the best aroma from a lager I have experienced. Overall, the aroma is of medium intensity.

T: Spicy bitter hops with some lemon and cereal flavors. A nice dry grapefruit juice flavor at the finish. There are many particular flavors in Victory's lagers which I can not put my finger on. However, I could pick one out blind anyday. Unbelievably refreshing and complex.

M: A nice light body with rather strong carbonation which I prefer for this style. Highly drinkable and a great session beer.

O: This has been, and will most likely remain, my favorite lager. Victory is a true master of lagering. And I normally hate most lagers!

4.22/5  rDev +3.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a nice golden yellow color with a nice white head. Seems like what a Pils should look like.

Smell is like the hay I used to haul as a kid. Minus the sneezing! There are also some hops mixed in there.

Taste is excellent. Very smooth and buttery and buscuit like with a hoppy finish that lasts in your mouth a while.

Mouthfeel is light and buttery.

Drinkability is very high. I've never tasted a pilsner this good before. One of my go to brews from now on.

4.1/5  rDev +1%

This one was served a light straw gold with a small but dense head of foam. Lace formed nicely on the sides of the glass.

Malts had some buiscuty aromas and flavors but mostly hops were present but not overpowering at all. Good balance. I did get the spicy/peppery/some floral notes in the nose and on the palate typical of german style pilsners. Dry and a little bitter in the finish. Not watery at all as one might think when looking at it in a glass.

High drinkability rating. Very refreshing. Great beer for warm summer days. Quaffable for sure.

4.3/5  rDev +5.9%

To sum it up very briefly, this is an outstanding, crisp pilsener from Victory. The mouthfeel is light and smooth, and the beer isn't very filling at all. The taste is somewhat hoppy, but I didn't find it to be aggressively bitter. I thought it was more of a smooth and subtle bitterness, which makes this a perfectly drinkable brew.

Highly recommended. I've only had a handful of pilsners but so far this is my favorite.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%

Pours a beautiful pale slightly cloudy yellow with some blue-green highlights; a good, not large head with some lacing.

Sweet, bready malts, grapefruit, yeast, and herbal notes - camomile especially.

Taste is a beautiful Americanized version of European style - bready and yeasty with some strong but not overpowering citrus notes (grapefruit and lemon), herbal notes (lemon balm, hay, camomile, thyme), and a mineral finish.

Has a light feel with solid carbonation.

Perhaps my favorite everyday drinking beer. Light, affordable, available year round, yet complex and intriguing.

Love this beer. Love it.

4.13/5  rDev +1.7%

Sight: Poor a nice clear and bright yellow. Small head into a chilled glass.

Nose: A pleasant hop nose straight forward with fruit on the back. A little grass and lemon of note

Taste: Great depth for a pils. A good presence of hops that is mild but enjoyable. Nice citrus notes and a long lasting finish of balanced bitterness. Grass and dryness on the end.

Feel: Crisp and dry. A nice sense of body.

Drinkability: A good effort on a German pils that is a nice medium body lager and a great drinkers beer for the spring and summer months.

4.34/5  rDev +6.9%

Got inspired by the BAs for this one. First time I saw it, so I picked one up. Had a bad experience with Victory before, but BAs convinced me to give the brewery another try. I was not disappointed.

A - average blond, clear lager color, mild carbonation - at least less than expected.

S - delicate hops

T - Great! Very refreshing. Floral, bitterness from the hops, more than any lager I remember drinking.

M- Thin, less bubbly than expected. I'm satisfied with it.

D - Excellent. Would work well with BBQ or any hot summer activity. This is a beer that easily qualifies as a "thirst quencher when mowing the lawn" for the BMC crowd, but it actually tastes good! Kinda like SNPA meets crisp pilsner, to put it in broad terms.

GF stole the glass from me and liked it. She says " Whoa..taste like tecate, but weird..with..like a bitter honey taste??"

I'm not sure how the hops would work with Korean or Japanese food, but it might be a good candidate if you're cooking korean ribs instead of Hite.

2.73/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance: Poured a nice golden color with a little haziness. Thin white head that dissipated pretty quick.

Aroma: Had a bit of an odd smell. Some hay and some citrus from the hops, but something else that I can't quite identify, but seemed off.

Taste: Not too bad at first, a bit of hoppiness, but left a bit of an aftertaste.

Feel: Light to medium body.

Overall: Best by date well past and probably contributed to a lower quality. I expect more from Victory Brewing. I've always enjoyed their beers and needless to say, I was a bit disappointed that I had picked up a beer with an "Enjoy By" date from a little over a month ago. Will definitely have to try this again.

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Judging from the high ratings and increasing popularity in "Imperial" and Belgian styles, we Americans validate a good beer by its specific gravity and ABV content. Not me.

I'm looking for an Old World (read German/Czech) pilsner. While a good, fortifying drink, Prima Pils does not come close to being a true Pilsner. It's more American ale than even a lager, let alone a pilsner.

This beer's potential is most likely in its water, as PA is founded on limestone, like northern Germany, Poland and the Czech Republic. However, Prima's yeast does not convince me that this drink is bottom fermented. Nor does the thick yellow color convince me that this is a pilsner: it's too malty; it's too strong.

It's a good drink, but it's not subtle and refined like a true Pilsner.

Someday, an American pilsner will come; it's not here yet.

2.99/5  rDev -26.4%

A: Clean and light with a fair amount of carbonation and a good head

S: Hoppy, bitter, but with a definite skunk undertone

T: Clean, a bit bitter and refreshing, a bit of a limestone or brine flavor.

M: Crisp on the palate giving way to bitterness

D: Not the lightest pils, but definitely a decent session beer.

This is a pretty decent pils minus the smell. Would find this especially refreshing on a hot day.

4.05/5  rDev -0.2%

A little hoppier than a typical German pils, but for my tastes that's a plus.

Very pale, translucent color and very noticeable lacing. The noble hop aroma is not significantly more that a typical German pils, but the actual hop flavor and bitterness is. Light going down and a lasting impression left.

A lager alternative for hoppy pale ales. And a treat for anyone looking for quality craft lagers. Hats off to Victory!

4.03/5  rDev -0.7%

poured from 12oz. bottle into pint glass. Crystal clear golden/yellow with damn near perfect carbonation. low head retention but good lacing.

grassy slight hop nose with a slightly sweet undertone.

very balanced flavor with just the right amount of hops. the grassy note comes through perfectly with a half dry finish that I like.

the carbonation dances nicely about the mouth to introduce the subtle but refined flavor that makes this beer to every nook and cranny. but once it is down the hatch the aftertaste is almost as enjoyable as the sip.

very, very drinkable. nuff said.

3.75/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

An all around solid brew. This beer strike a good balance between floral hops and a mild, grainy malt. Finish is dry and you are left with a mildly bitter aftertaste.

3.83/5  rDev -5.7%

I picked a six-pack of this up at the brewery. It's a good pilsner. I am not a big pilsner fan, but I would have not problem serving this to company. I believe, on a hot day, I could down a few of these. It's worthwhile picking up a six-pack of these. Victory's stuff is just consistently good.

4.18/5  rDev +3%

Aroma: The aroma is clean with flowery notes and hints of malts.

Appearance: The beer poured bright yellow and brilliantly clear with a tall white head.

Flavor: The initial taste had a bitter bite and herbal notes. As the beer warmed up the flavor became crisp flavor. The malt's presents increased and rounded out flavor.

Mouth feel: It has a light body, mild carbonation and medium dry finish.

Overall Impression: A clean beer, in line with style guideline. Over all the beer was enjoyable beer to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: A solid golden color. I got a dense, white head to start but its seemed to have whisked away rather quick. I'm also seeing some active carbonation vines.

Smell: Quite hoppy with grassy aromas.

Taste & Mouthfeel: Very crisp. The hops are there up front and in the back. Not overpowering at all though. Quite delicious. A good balance of bitterness to me.

Drinkability: Well, the easiest way to put this is that this is my 5th one tonight. I would pull the trigger on the 6th but I wanna save it to savor at a later date. Good beer. Very enjoyable. I'll definitely pick this one up again.

4.2/5  rDev +3.4%

Glass: pilsner
Nice clear crisp light yellow beer with a thick soapy, rocky head. Floral and piney hop aroma with a slight grassy smell and a hint of yeast.
A slight bit of Malt in the front followed by a very strong piney hop bitterness.
Thin and light bodied mouthfeel with a sticky hop texture. Very active carbonation and a strong hoppy finish.

4.02/5  rDev -1%

Light straw and just a hint of haziness on the pour, but minimal heading and a few lacy remnants. The aroma is lovely noble Czech hops with a hint of sweetness. This sweetness is carried through with the taste, which is more full and developed than many pilseners I've had. It's mild and smooth, but hits with spicy notes. Mouthfeel is fizzy and light, with a generally clean finish.

Ok, I'm not a huge fan of the pilsener style. I like funkier punch you in the face ales, but this is very good and very drinkable. Give me a six and a warm day, and I'll call this one all sorts of good.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown