Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

ca. 44 IBU

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 5,252 |  Reviews: 2,108

4.12/5  rDev +1.5%

Pale corn yellow in color, fluffy head with good retention, very pronounced herbal nose with a decent dose of summertime New York City subway (aka sulfur), pronounced herbal bitterness that overpowers the malt on the palate, very bitter herbal & vegetal finish. A very hops-centric Pilsner-style lager, with pronounced herbal & vegetal notes that tend to overpower the malt, a strong option for those among us who enjoy hops-centric beers .

Reviewed again March, 2015. Fresher, crisper aroma and flavor (while still maintaining the strong hope flavor reminiscent of German pilsners, but with an American twist). Better than I recall/ remember, perhaps the best German-style pilsner in America?

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.18/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is one of the most highly regarded American made Pilsners out there. I'm doing a re-review of this one. I've revisited this beer 2-3 times over the last year and although my pallet is more tolerable of hop bombed double IPAs and such, it has lost its tolerance for this over-hopped and bitter pilsner. I just don't find this beer refreshing nor easy to drink, both of which is a mandatory requirement IMO for this style of beer. I still respect it to some regards but there are several other pilsners now that I would prefer over this hop bombed pils.

3.35/5  rDev -17.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Golden yellow with little carbonation and a thin ribbon of white head. Very thin lacing and head fades quickly.

S - Nice hoppy floral notes from the Noble hops.

T - Hop bitterness abounds through out - more so than I would expect from a pils. I'm getting very light grapefruit notes. Hop-dominated aftertaste is quite pleasant.

M - Very light carbonation for this light-bodied brew.

O - Not bad but I'm not crazy about it. Really not a beer I would go for again unless I'm stuck between this and a bunch of PAs and IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

4.08/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3 yrs in Germany... I went through a lot of German Pilsner. Two years after returning I have found an outstanding replacement. I saw this beer on a BrewDogs episode and luckily my Total Wine carries it.

Hop forward like the better German Pils. Nice pour, good head, and color. Feels a little heavier than my favorite German pilsners but is very close. It has quickly become a great beer to come home to.

I have recommended this to a few die hard pale ale friends because it is a little more refreshing and they all keep it in the fridge now.

4.5/5  rDev +10.8%