Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Prima! It’s a German exclamation of joy. It’s a recognition of accomplishment. It’s what escaped from our lips the first time we sampled this mighty pilsner recipe. With heaps of whole flower European hops and fine German malts, we achieved the bracing herbal bite and smooth malt flavor that we sought. Prima… an exclamation of Victory! Prost!

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,303 |  Reviews: 2,124
2.26/5  rDev -43.8%

12 oz bottle poured into pilsener glass.

Pour yielded a thin white head that left decent lacing. Beer is an attractive sunflower gold with very active carbonation streaming from the bottom.

Aroma: standard German Lager smell of sour and grassiness.

Mouthfeel: for all the carbonation the mouthfeel is a little flat and lifeless.

Taste: hard for me to get past the astringent herb bitterness followed by a soapy aftertaste. Beer improved slightly as it warmed but it really seems like this a beer that is over-hopped, but not with Cascade or Centennial but rather with German Noble Hops. The bitterness overwhelms my taste buds completely.

Notes: I've had 5 bottles of this and has not grown on me. Stoudt's Pils seems immediately more enjoyable. Prima Pils is almost a drainpour for me.

4.1/5  rDev +2%

Enjoyed last night while sitting by the pool. Poured into a pint glass...

A - Pale golden-yellow color. Pure white head forms about 1.5 fingers thick and recedes pretty quickly.

S - Straw, malts, wheat, flowery hops, some citrus, and some more earthy, grassy hops.

T - Crisp, clean beer. Grassy hops add a nice earthiness to the pilsner malts. Slightly dry finish with some hop bitterness.

M - Lighter bodied beer with moderate carbonation. Very clean and crisp on the palate.

O - Great beer that is extremely refreshing on a hot summer day. Worth picking up a 6-pack anytime you have some summer relaxing to do.

3.58/5  rDev -10.9%

A very light and crystal clear beer with a distinctive pils taste. Balanced flavors with moderate bitterness and dry enough finish. Very drinkable, hoppier than an average pils, good carbonation levels, very quenching. However, I have to question whether it's true to the style. Perhaps not all that traditional. And more than that, I have to question whether I really love pils in general. After all the incredible APAs and IPAs and German wheat beers I've been drinking lately, the pils taste just put me in the mind of the old BMC crap.

I recognize that this is a well made beer and perhaps I will return to it at a later date. But this isn't up my alley at the moment.

4.22/5  rDev +5%

Light fizzy head, mostly clear golden banana color.

Nose lots of nice malts, straw, toasty wheat, light grassy floral hops.

Taste clean and crisp, nice toasty pilsner malts, light straw grassy floral noble hops with a decent of bitterness. Drier finish with a long bitter hoppy crisp finish, touch of spicy hops too.

Mouth is slightly lighter bodied, decent carb.

Overall very drinkable, crisp and refreshing, nice pils malts, nice noble and bit of american hops, great pils.

4.38/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this a few times now and recently had the chance to have it on tap. It's a beautifully clear golden beer with a classic frothy, white head. Wheat and honey smells with a wheat grain cocktail taste with the same honey sweetness tying it all together. Mouthfeel is almost chewy. It's a highly sessionable, wholesome beer with great aspects all around. Such an easy A.

Can't like pils and not try this beer.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

poured from bottle into pint glass

A - pale golden yellow, bright white head that fades fairly quickly leaving tight thin lacing on the glass

S - flowery, citrus hops

T - hoppy with a mild sweet maltiness laying underneath

M - light, crisp and dry

O - A refreshing pils prefect for a warm summer day, clean and smooth leaving you wanting more.

I have had this beer before… and I REALLY like the mouthfeel on this brew. But after reading about this, and hearing it compared to Miller Lite it might change my thoughts on it. Oh, probably not. It smells good, it tastes good, and has SO much flavor to it.

The beer smells incredible, and has a wet, yet dry nose to it. Beers like this make me think of walking the streets in Europe. The beer in Europe is better, but perhaps it’s because it’s Europe. Now, what’s this beer taste like?

The beer starts smooth on the front of the palate, and slides down the back of the throat smooth, and crisp. Then, after all that a VERY dry aftertaste hits you. Going back to this, comparing it to Miller Lite, it’s not even in the same category. The bad thing about this beer is I could chug it! I just can’t get over that aftertaste and how dry it stays.

The beer doesn’t have a very big ABV, but that’s okay. It doesn’t need one. The beer is just so good. Plus, the aftertaste sticks around forever. I just love this beer. I might call this a summer beer based on the taste of all the summers I am having this season. Regardless, I love this beer.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

A- yellowish gold, about an inch of foam. Not much retention. Poor lacing.

S- somewhat flowery. definitely has that "miller lite" pilsner aroma.

T- deeper flavor than I expected. Good balance of hops and malt.

M- smooth, great body

O- Not too shabby. Good session beer.

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%

appearance: bright gold, moderate head, lots of bubbles. very nice.

smell: grassy hops

taste: more bitter than some other pils i've tried, but very well balanced. the hops stand out in this one.

mouthfeel: it's a bit heavy for the style. when i think of pils, i want something light and refreshing and cold. drinkability is lacking because of this.

prima pils is good overall but i find i actually enjoy sam adam's noble pils much more.

Poured from bottle into a pilsner glass.

Color is golden straw, thin head that dissolves quickly to sides, some left on top.

Smell is citrus, hops, and yeast.

Taste is citrus and honey, bitter long after.

Mouthfeel is prickly with carbonation.

Overall, a decent enough beer, but I was led to expect better. Good as a beer, but I don't think it represents the style.

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

This beer pours a slightly hazy golden straw color wig a thin white head the dissipates rather quickly. The smell is earthy hops and a slight malt presence. The flavor is dry and slighkty bitter from the hops with some malt and earth qualities to it. The mouthfeel is well carbed and dry. Overall the most enjoyable pilsner I have had

3.73/5  rDev -7.2%

22 oz. bottle poured into a mug.

Appearance: Pours a nice, clear golden straw color with visible carbonation. Fluffy 1+ finger white head has good retention.

Smell: Mild aroma of straw and light florals.

Taste: Light grassy flavor with a lot of lemon. Some honey sweetness comes in towards the finish, and then the aftertaste is a bit bitter.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and generally smooth (not very grainy), with moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: ABV is fine; aftertaste bitterness is a bit much after some time.

A nice pilsner, but a bit too much lemon and bitterness. Nevertheless, one of the better ones I've had that's been brewed in the US.

3.37/5  rDev -16.2%

12 oz brown bottle with pry off cap. Date stamped best before 17 July 2011. Poured in a pilsner glass.

White head is 1/8 of an inch on the pour and recedes to a thin ring around the edge with a couple of islands. Thin lines of lacing here and there.

Aroma is all citrus hops with a little biscuit in the background. A little different for a german pilsner.

Taste is all citrus hops. Tastes like a pale ale. Little bit of biscuit and malt in the background.

Very smooth and light mouthfeel. Tiny pin prick carbonation is light to moderate.

Not sure what to make of this as it really doesn't remind me of a german pilsner, but it is interesting. A good beer for a hop head, but if you're a pilsner fan, this may not be up your alley.

3.87/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a light straw body with a rocky white head but smaller than I expected only 1 finger from a smooth pour. Retention falls away very quickly and still leaves a nice amount of lacing.

Bales of hay with some lemon, spice and citrus. Very bright, grassy hop profile with a touch of lemon zest.

Nice clean malt bill, fresh straw, slightly bready, keeps things afloat until the hops come in to carry this one away. Grassy and herbal hops yet very bright with some peppery and lemon notes. Finishes with a breezy drying feel and refreshing bitterness on the end.

Moderate lager body, found it to be under carbonated, strange for the style perhaps a break in the seal. Finishes nicely, crisp and slightly bitter.

Lots of hops for a pilsner which is why it's so unique. Bright beer, perfect finish, crisp and slightly soapy. Flavor brings more to the table than most other lagers in its class. Not gonna dock it for carbonation though. Another solid beer from Victory.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

A single bottle to try.

Pours a light cloudy gold. Head went away and left lace and a ring

Nose is noble hops and lemon with grain.

Taste is about the best pilsner I have had. Hops, lemon, pepper with tartness, but not alot of tart.

Mouth feel is nicely carbonated.

Overall a very enjoyable refreshing beer for a summer day.

4.41/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

355ML bottle poured into a Ayinger Celebrator chalice.

BBE 11 MAY 2011

A- Pale blonde body with a moderate haze. Head is 2 fingers and rocky. Retention is average with good lacing.

S- Fresh cut grass, zesty lemons, citrus.

T- Lots of citrus/lemon up front. Reduces to a creamy dry finish, crisp and smooth. Hop bitterness lingers to the death.

M- Moderate carbonation and body. Clean lager feel

D- A lovely flavour profile. Doesnt look the part for me but certainly stands up in the nose and taste! Easy drinking excellent clean pils

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

A- This beer poured a straw golden color with a great head. I poured it into a pilsner glass and it was super nice looking. The white head was glimmering in the moon light on a wonderful summer night.

S- Smells of bread, citrus, and straw wafted to me. I immediately wanted to try this even more than before I smelled it.

T- Lots of bread and citrus flavors. The yeast was pretty back-seat in this beer but was evident if I looked for it. The hops made this pilsner awesome. The hop bitterness was more than what I expected from a pilsner leaving me satisfied.

M- Light and crisp. This beer was highly carbonated and extremely refreshing. I loved how the carbonation really cleansed my palate and finished dry from all the hops present. Wow, really nice.

O- Probably the best pilsner I have had. I loved how refreshingly smooth it was, yet, provided an unexpected dry and bitter finish from the hops. Attractive looking, smelling, and tasting - I would say this is a must try summer beer. You won't be unsatisfied.

4.17/5  rDev +3.7%

I found this single 12oz brown bottle in the " beers for clearance" bin at the Binny's liquor store in Plainfield, IL for just .99¢. Had I known it would be this good, I would have picked up more. The front label has a picture of a hop plant on it, which is very appropriate considering that hops are very prominent in this beer. No freshness date, but there is a small paragraph about the beer on the side of the label.

The beer poured a cloudy grapefruit yellow color with a fast rising head, so watch your pour. 3 fingers of white head rises quickly to the top, but it only lasts about a minute and leaves only spotty lacing on the glass.

The smell is full of flowery hops along with a touch of lemon. I also picked up some toffee like sweetness when I swished it around.

Big European hop flavor but not overpowering. There's enough pilsner malt in here to keep it balanced. Grassy, herbal, and spicy all at once. I love the flavor of this one.

Somewhere between light and medium bodied with moderate carbonation. Nice clean dry finish.

Another masterpiece from Victory.

3.8/5  rDev -5.5%

I did not enjoy this as much as Sam Adams Noble Pils, so, I could not rate it as high, but this is still an excellent beer.

It has a definite bitterness to it. So be prepared. But it is damn good.

Golden in color, good carbonation.

Floral and citrus aroma.

Overall, a crisp, hoppy and refreshing pilsner.

3.98/5  rDev -1%

Poured on-tap and served in a pint glass, the beer is a bright, flourescent yellow coloring with a huge amount of carbonation. There was a light, foamy white head across the top. There were light aromas of toast and lemon. The flavors were effervescent and sharp, keeping the beer very light. Lemon essence and toasted malt, with slight sour and hoppy green undertones. The finish is a bit musty and lingering, with astringent, drying, puckering and any other adjective that is slightly uncomfortable, but appropriate for the style.

3.11/5  rDev -22.6%

Normally, when I write these beer reviews, I like to try to create a picture for the reader so he/she knows exactly what I'm visualizing and knows exactly those thoughts that are going through my head. Regrettably, however, I just don't think this beer is worth the time to do that. So, instead, my review will be succinct and exactly to the point.

Tasting notes from 6/16/11. On tap at Stone and poured into pilsner glass.

Appearance: Pale gold with some turbidity consistent with partial filtering. Turbidity gives the beer an added and attractive peach-like element. Traditional white-colored head that poured about 3/4 inch thick to start but eventually receded to half it's original thickness; head remained full and intact across the entire surface of the beer throughout the tasting.

Smell: Short-lived scents of lemon, floral, and grass that eventually gave way to one of stagnant well-water. Reminded me of the kind of scent one experiences when touring an unsanitary working microbrew. I ended up having to close off my nostrils for a majority of my sips.

Taste: Luckily, the sudden transformation was not immediate, so I was able to enjoy (albeit for a short while) the delightful flavors of lemon, earthly grass tones similar to oleocanthal in an extra virgin olive oil, hops, and orange peel with first few sips. Then the beer began to taste exactly like that stagnant water smell described earlier, and, to put it delicately, that's all I'm going to say about that.

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied and a little more carbonation than I would have liked though. Never did like the taste of well-water rolling around in my mouth while growing up.

Overall: This one will probably come out to about a 3.2, and I'm actually being quite generous here. I'm sure by now you know what I thought of the beer overall, so I need not say more. Pity because I actually enjoy this style quite well. However, I am going to give this beer the benefit of the doubt and will promise to revisit it...just as soon as I finish off my mouthwash and give the scars left behind some time to heal.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Appearance: Pours a faintly cloudy golden color with a good amount of carbonation and head.
Smell: herbal hops predominate here
Taste: Grassy and herbal hops assault quickly with a little citrusy zing in there as well. Base malts are a bit bready, though dominated by the hops. Clean, dry aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Medium mouthfeel with the expected hop burn.
Overall: Hoppiest pils I've ever had. Doesn't deviate from the pils profile- just a boatload of hops.

4.7/5  rDev +16.9%

I was very surprised at the quality of this beer. It has a hint of dark burnt chocolate flavor and a overall wonderful taste. The after taste runs away too quickly, making you crave for another sip! Carbonation is perfect, appearance and smell...perfect again. I believe the high quality hopps and pilsner quality brewing technique makes this one of the best beers I have ever had role over my tongue! Victory makes some other very good beers....But this one is their best!

3.79/5  rDev -5.7%

A preface: Pilseners are not my favourite beers. That being said, I try to approach this with an objective mind and rate it based on it's quality and not just based off my own taste preferences.

It poured a hazy straw colour, with a white head that dissipated pretty quickly, leaving very limited lacing (alliteration!)

The smell is light and hoppy, with a citrusy backbone that finishes almost a little sweet/floral.

Drinking it follows the same theme from the nose, with the hops leading the way with a light spicy/citrusy undercurrent. The flavour is primarily in the first swish through the mouth, though the second act gives way to the faint floral notes from the nose, while the finishing aftertaste is the hoppy bitterness that sits with you for a little while.

It's a lightly carbonated beer, which goes down pretty smoothe, but nothing particularly notable.

Overall, it's a beer that I can enjoy drinking if it happens to be around the house, but I would not seek it out. If you really like lighter beers with an undeniable hop profile, you might like it, but it's just not my cup of tea (or beer as it were). don't shy away from it, but not something you necessarily need to go on a mission for

3.62/5  rDev -10%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Aromas begin with a light lemon citrus and subltle amounts of dry grainy/pils maltiness. Smells quite fresh and clean (if that makes sense).

The tastes begin with hops right out front; lemon zest combined with grassy bitterness and flavors. Light pilsner maltiness is the perfect canvas for this hop bill. A nice combination of citrusy flavor and hop bitterness to go along with a fuller than normal body and a crisp, dry finish.

Overall I really dont enjoy Pilsners (and I really didn't enjoy this one to be completely honest), but I can appreciate how this is a stellar example of an Americanized pilsner. A staple (or should be) for any light German beer fan who wants a nice American hop twist.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown