Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Prima! It’s a German exclamation of joy. It’s a recognition of accomplishment. It’s what escaped from our lips the first time we sampled this mighty pilsner recipe. With heaps of whole flower European hops and fine German malts, we achieved the bracing herbal bite and smooth malt flavor that we sought. Prima… an exclamation of Victory! Prost!

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,275 |  Reviews: 2,115
4.26/5  rDev +6%

Serving: Served in a pilsener glass....of course!

Appearance - This pours an appealing straw gold with a bright white cap. Carbonation is seen streaming up the sides of the glass. Some nice lace down the glass.

Smell - Nothing but pale malt and hops. Smells great.

Taste - Sharp hop flavors and a clean malt base. Nothing but flavor. This is a classic tasting pilsener.

Mouthfeel - Light, crisp, and clean.

Drinkability - Light malt and plenty of hops. Crisp and clean. A great session beer that is very drinkable. I look forward to this one on a hot summer day.

3.57/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a transparent golden color with a fluffy white head. Smells of hops and light malt, very crisp scent. The taste echoes the scent, good hoppy and light malt flavors, very refreshing. The mouthfeelnus medium with strong carbonation. This is a drinkable and enjoyable beer but I don't ubderstand why it scores as highly as it does. It's a great German pilsner, but there are great German breweries that are doing this style much better and have for many years. This is a good American version that I quite enjoyed, but there are people out there who can do it better.

3.65/5  rDev -9.2%

Golden lemon in color with gobs of thick bubbles feeding a white spongy head. The beer is mostly clear but does have a slight foggy appearance.

The nose is simple but very complete and well done. Fresh malts with lemon and floral hops. Very nice and a perfect example of the style.

Taste is like the nose but slips down the scale a bit because of an overall mustiness that I believe to be from the hops. They taste almost powdery and it's hard to get over. The good news is that the malts and the lemony floral flavors do materialize and make it enjoyable. Its just not as clean as I would like.

Mouthfeel like the taste is just above average in my book. The powdery taste also translates into a dryness that I just don't dig. The carbonation is spot on and light body really makes this one an easy drinker. All in all no real badness here. Its a satisfying brew and one that you can drink again and again.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%

12 ounce bottle poured into a flute. I received this in a trade with RamsFan81. Thanks Kurt! Enjoy by date of March 1, 2011 printed on the bottle. Two fingers of bone-white head sit atop this brew. Retention is moderate. The beer is a soft pale golden haze. Lacing is spotty down the wall of the flute. A small amount of carbonation can be seen through the glass.

The aroma is crisp and sharp. Big lager fragrance jumps out of the flute. Sweet hay greets the nose. Some floral hops are detectable. For such a delicate style of beer it is surprisingly aromatic.

The taste is very interesting. Hops sting immediately, coating the mouth with a soapy bitterness. Sweet grassy notes subtly emerge to be replaced by a more grapefruit-like bitterness. As it lingers in the mouth, the hops develop into something more floral in nature. These floral flavors combine with the sweet grassiness to form the aftertaste. It's strange to think of a pilsner as a hop bomb but that's what Prima Pils is, for better or worse.

In the mouth, Prima Pils is light bodied and crisp. Carbonation is moderate and appropriate to style. I could wish that it finished a little cleaner, but that is a mild complaint. 5.3% ABV goes undetected. Drinkability will depend on your taste for hops and European-style lagers. Personally, I'm not a hop-head but despite the strong hoppy bitterness I still found this beer to be incredibly drinkable. It's a very cool twist on an age-old style that I would recommend to fans of pale ale and traditional lager styles alike. Prima Pils is very well done.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

This was the best of the night for me. Pours a pale, hazy, unfiltered yellow, nice stick. Smelled of hops and lemons and flowers. Tasted lemons right away, balanced hops, this is a crisp and inviting pilsener with the right amount of bitterness and is highly drinkable.

3.13/5  rDev -22.1%

Not as big a fan of this beer as everyone else on this site seems to be (or of the brewery in general), but that's what this is all about: people talking about their own experiences and going with their individual palate. First off, the the color is an opaque yellow which I feel should be reserved for unfiltered wheats. This appearance seems out of place. The nose is definitely this brew's highlight. It has a nice noble (earthy, dirty, subtle) and spicy hops. The taste is where things go array again. Off the bat, I get lemony flavors, again as if this were some type of summer wheat. It then seems to try to finish dry like a pilsner should, but the bitterness is a touch too weak to pull it off.

Overall, this is not what I am looking for in a pilsner. I want crisp, hoppy, refreshingly drinkable, not muddled, citrusy randomness with an wheat-like, dense mouth-feel.

4.42/5  rDev +10%

A pale straw yellow with a fluffy pure white head. Nice bits of lace on the glass. Smell is bed of pale malt and crisp spicy hops. Pepper and grassy with lemongrass notes. Some citrus as well. Taste is not you average pilsner. Sweet malt with a bit of dough. Some yeast based breadiness. Firm and spicy hop finish with a bit of grapefruit and a lightly sour dryness. Crisp light feel is softly carbonated. Super quenching and drinkinable. An excellent session beer and anything else you may have in mind.

4.19/5  rDev +4.2%

Golden straw and transparent when poured this beer is off to a good start for the style. The head lingers as just a covering but very clean and bright white in color. Carbonation is not present throughout the body, which is disappointing, but a great aroma makes up for any shortcomings in the presentation. Very clean malt profile with light floral hops. Just a touch of lemon zest and sweetness in the background. Lager yeast and breads in the bouquet take center stage.

Very bready in the flavor. Biscuit present. Definitely yeasty with a bit of astringency. The light citrus in the nose doesn't show up in the taste at all but instead this brew is more and more malt forward as it approaches room temperature. Overly light carbonation gets marks down on this dry finishing Pils.

4.65/5  rDev +15.7%

I stock up and put this back when I'm visiting the midwest; easily towards the top of my 'wish they distributed on the west' list. I've had plenty of these and am reviewing this one in particular in a pilsener glass.

Nice dense white head of about 3/4 inch which after shrinking leaves a nice layer of retention behind. Somewhat cloudy yet still transparent. Pale straw yellow in color. Thick lacing.

Simple yet effiective pale pils nose; lemon, grassy hops, and pleasant bready yeast.

Bready yeast, grains, and lots of citrusy hops. Taste is full, especially for a pilsener.

Medium body and quite sessionable. Perfectly carbonated with a lasting finish of the lemon/yeast combo I now know as Prima Pils.

To me, this is going to serve as the benchmark for all pilseners out there. Just that good!

4.32/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Been looking forward to trying this for awhile.

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Enjoy by Feb 7, 2011. Big, inviting hop nugget on the front label.

Appearance: Head is a thin white layer. Beer pours almost Mountain Dew-ish yellow from the bottle, but settles as nice light golden color in glass. This beer is fairly cloudy in the glass, not typical for the crisp, clean German pils versions I am used to.

Smell: Fairly clean with faint citrusy hop smell.

Taste: What strikes me immediately about the taste is how dry this beer is. As far as trueness to style goes, the folks at Victory are dead on with this German pils. The hops are noticeable, but by no means overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Again, very dry with crisp carbonation. This beer almost finishes like champagne.

Drinkability: No problems here. Definitely a refresher for the summer (yes, I realize it is Jan 17).

Overall: My humble opinion here, but taste and mouthfeel-wise, Prima is an extremely fair representation of a beer style that is popular nationwide in Germany, but has few accurate imitators here in the States.

4.92/5  rDev +22.4%

A - Straw gold with a bright white cap. Plenty of carbonation streaming up the sides of the glass. Great clarity. Leaves nice sheets of lace down the glass.

S - Herbal and grassy hop notes lead the charge, along with some lemon. Tons of grainy pilsner malt fills the background to make up the best smelling pilsner I've ever had. It's clean and smells so delicious that it's intoxicating.

T - Sharp hop flavors are the first thing I can taste, and on such a clean base it the earthy herbal and grassy flavors don't have to compete with much. The grainy pilsner malt comes in after that, countering the hops and really riding into the finish. What's so good about Prima Pils is that it has a sharpness to it that makes the beer so lively instead of falling flat like some others do.

MF - Light body that dries in the finish that still manages to be lively.

D - If it weren't for the powerful, fresh, grainy pilsner malt, the hops would overwhelm the beer and make it feel like too much. As it stands, it's incredibly refreshing and one of the best beers in the country.

I could and have drank copious amounts of Prima Pils. I'd love to drink a better pilsner than Prima Pils, but until I make a pilgrimage to Europe, I doubt that'll happen. And even then, we'll see.

3.74/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

appearance: Hazy dark yellow. Slight off white head. Thick lacing.
smell: Citrus and floral with just a hint of malt.
taste: A slight bitterness that isn't quite balanced enough for my taste. The citrus and floral are there. This is a very highly rated beer. Maybe just my palate.
A nice session beer. Will have to try again in the heat of summer.

3.76/5  rDev -6.5%

I've been just over a year now getting to know all different kinds of beers, so with this being my first official review please bare with me.

I've found that I tend to be a bit more partial to ales, however this is one Pilsner that I was able to enjoy more and more with each sip. When I poured Prima into my snifter, I first noticed the cloudy straw color that was that became very inviting. I've had quite a few terrible Pils. that came out very champaign like and almost as clear as water. I was disapointed that the head of the beer disapated rather quickly.

The smell was probably what the minimum should be for a good Pils.

I very much enjoyed the crisp hoppy tast which lingered in my mouth for a bit.

I would say that being one who tends to lean towards the darker and more bitter, I was pleasantly suprised and do intend on purchasing Prima in the futer.

2.25/5  rDev -44%

12oz bottle
Served in a pilsner glass

A - The body is pale yellow in color. The head is white in color and stands two and a half inches tall.

S - The aroma is grassy and grainy with a whiff of lemon from time to time.

T - Wow! The hops are more than I expected. I get a lot of bitterness with some slight metallic taste.

M - It feels thicker than a pilsner. I get a mild chalky feel on my tongue.

D - I'll just say I'm glad I didn't get a six pack.

3.07/5  rDev -23.6%

A: A hazy lemon/grapefruit color. Very large white head on top.

S: Piney grassy hops, perhaps a touch of floral. Slightly earthy with a bit of bread in the finish.

T: Earthy and piney bitterness right off the bat. After that it doesn't seem to go anywhere else. The bitterness is almost too much, and I don't get a strong noble hop flavor from this.

M: Light in body, and the carbonation seems to be lacking a bit.

D: Meh overall. Seems like it is a miss on the noble hops, the bitterness is too much, and it lacks the clean crisp flavor I expect for this style. It seems like everyone goes gaga for this beer, but for me it is a pretty big miss. Thought I would give it a second try and I am still not impressed.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

The straw to pale straw body and exceptionally white 1 1/2 finger head look sooo inviting.

So much aroma: floral hops, slight maltyness. Dare I say I smell that yeasty Victory smell? Thats in the best possible way of course.

This is everything you could hope for in a Pilsner. Bright hoppy overtones over a subtle malt background. The two ingredients are perfectly merged.

Nice clean dry, yet full bodied (for a pilsner) mouthfeel. A bit of sweetness lingers on the finish.

This was poured from a cold 22 oz bomber into a chilled fluted Schlitz glass. I admit this to a group who largely shun a chilled glass, as do I, but this was perfect tonite. Man, I feel like a rugged workin' American man with my chilled glass!

Golden and slightly cloudy/hazy with a good looking pure white head. Smells of spicey hops, malts, and it has a grainy aroma to it. This brew has a distinctly bready feel to it at first sip, which leads into an abundance of spicy hop flavor, a fresh,earthy and grainy taste, a biscuity malt profile and a slight sweetness. This beer tastes fresh, has a nice refreshing feel to it, and follows up with a crisp and slightly bitter aftertaste. It's a masterpiece.

2.73/5  rDev -32.1%

Appearance: Poured a nice golden color with a little haziness. Thin white head that dissipated pretty quick.

Aroma: Had a bit of an odd smell. Some hay and some citrus from the hops, but something else that I can't quite identify, but seemed off.

Taste: Not too bad at first, a bit of hoppiness, but left a bit of an aftertaste.

Feel: Light to medium body.

Overall: Best by date well past and probably contributed to a lower quality. I expect more from Victory Brewing. I've always enjoyed their beers and needless to say, I was a bit disappointed that I had picked up a beer with an "Enjoy By" date from a little over a month ago. Will definitely have to try this again.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

P - 12 oz brown bottle, 'enjoy by' date on lower label. nothing on back side of bottle. individually bar coded ?? all neck labels are off centered to the left...

A - slightly cloudy golden in color, bright white head bubbling from below throughout, sticky lacing.

S - spicy citrus aroma

T - very hoppy bitterness, dry to semi-sweet long lasting aftertaste.

M - extremely fine abundance of carbonation when cold, less at warmer temps.

D - Ill finish the 6 pack before I switch back to Becks

Notes: not bad for Pennsyltucky

4.27/5  rDev +6.2%

barcade in brooklyn.

a. pretty light pils look. lovely thick easy head on top.

s. really nice fresh floral hoppiness here.

t. oh i like the taste! its really really floral, and the citrus on the tip of the tongue mixes with the bitter floral finish really nice. this is victory at its best i think.

m. smoooth, has enough carbonation to freshen the palate but leaves a nice rich tasty layer.

d. very drinkable. strong in flavor, but refreshing in its character. recommend above storm king any day

4.45/5  rDev +10.7%

Sixtel in kegerator @12psi

A - Very light and clear golden body. Nice 1 finger head drops pretty quick.

S - Light grainy malt base with herbal, grassy, citrus hop nose.

T - Favors bitterness but well balanced. Again grainy Pilsner malt is met with grassy herbal hop flavor. Simple but loads of flavor.

M/D - Light body, ends dry. Super drinkable, maybe a touch bitter for some but great to me. At the top of my list for American interpretations of the style.

Fairly hazy honey color, fine white head with a decent top and some visible carbonation. Pretty beer looks. Aroma is of herbal hops dominance and a background of fine German pilsner malts. A little woody, some hops citrus there too, a little biscuity. Good balance in the nose. Taste is a great crisp balance of the pale malts used and a aggressive hopping style, there is a pretty hoppy pils. But it never becomes too much or one sided, the malts are always there to mellow it out. Distinctly bitter finish with a slight resiny lingering. Body is a little bigger than your average Deutsch pils. Carbonation is subtle and pleasing. Drinkability is good, too, Prima Pils makes a dangerous trifecta of smells, tastes and looks.

Quite good, my first Victory Brewing beer and I am impressed.

4.37/5  rDev +8.7%

the joyful pilsner, prima!

poured a very appealing light, but deep golden yellow with a finger of head that fell down after a fast minute to a thin layer of white bubbles.

smell is of sweet ripe, sticky resinous hops with something else that i can't quite define yet. i love the extra hop smell and taste with this brew.

oh the flavors are here and here to stay. that classic hop flavor associated with victory accompanies pleasant citric rinds and goes slightly sweet and dry finishing with the balance of a ballerina

mouthfeel is fairly thick for a pils due to the resinous hops but i am a fan which is why i grabbed the case. probbly wouldn't drink more than 4 maybe 5 in one sitting, but as far as drinkability goes it certainly has plenty of it. a good unique pils to try, but im sure there are better and i will find them

3.53/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Definitely the best pils on the planet. Just an outstanding crisp pils with an advanced pedigree of flavor. Buy this one in a case with confidence. Great in a bottle and the ultimate is to enjoy one on tap at the brewery restaurant. Geat job Victory!

3.45/5  rDev -14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A - Yellow beer, little bit cloudy, small head that leaves a little bit of lace.

S - Nose is a bit more potent that I was expecting, with more hops than most pils. Pretty sweet smelling as well.

T - Crisp, sweet, clean, decent hop balance. Taste is pretty light, but it is a pilsner, and packs some taste in there that I wasn't quite expecting. Better than average.

M - Light, crisp, moderate carbonation, little watery.

D - Pretty drinkable session beer, a good one to have at a wedding and other occassions where the macro and craft guys mix.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown