Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Prima! It’s a German exclamation of joy. It’s a recognition of accomplishment. It’s what escaped from our lips the first time we sampled this mighty pilsner recipe. With heaps of whole flower European hops and fine German malts, we achieved the bracing herbal bite and smooth malt flavor that we sought. Prima… an exclamation of Victory! Prost!

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,324 |  Reviews: 2,129
4.23/5  rDev +5.2%

Served on tap

Appearance: clear, bright yellow, small creamy head, leaves a little lacing down the side. Light straw color with lots of tiny bubbles streaming up.

Smell: Nice hop spiciness comes out in the nose. A little bit of biscuit-like malt with some subtle herby flavors.

Taste: Starts out quite mellow. A little light, sweetish kind of pleasant bready malt, then followed immediately by zesty spice. Finishes out bitter with a lingering and surprisingly strong bitter aftertaste. It's nice though, it helps to cleanse the palate for the next eager sip.

Mouthfeel: bright and bubbly but not too harsh. Just enough pop to really complement and bring out the spicier side of the brew.

Drinkability: Very pleasant beer with a lot more assertive flavor than I was expected (it was welcome). This was only my second pilsner and I found it quite delicious and bold without being overbearing. Understated grace.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured into a pint glass from a 22oz bottle.

Note: my bottle was past the best by date by 7 months, so it's possible/probable that this would have been even better if it were fresher.

Has a nice citrusy nose. Small but nice rim of head. Mildly cloudy (unfiltered) looking. Smells obviously like a Pilsener but with more pizazz than usual. "Mmmm...mmm" were my first comments. This is very nice and refreshing and certainly not boring. Nice amount of hops but not overpowering. I like this quite a bit, usually this style is terribly boring to me, this is definitely not. In general the taste is very light with a mild citrus. Noticed an interesting earthy flavor in the finish for a minute which was kind of nice. I'd be very happy drinking this beer on a hot summer day. I believe this is definitely the best Pilsener I've ever had.

Just a side note, this is an excellent pilsener but in general I prefer Stouts, Porters, Barleywines, etc. which I find to be much tastier and more my style, so while this is one of the best Pilseners I have had this is nowhere near my favorite beer.

4.13/5  rDev +2.7%

A - Pours a slightly cloudy bright yellow with one finger of white head on top with good retention. Visibly very bubbly.

S - A nice blend of pale malt aroma with some hop citrus. Some fresh cut, grassy field aromas, too.

T - Lemons and hop bitterness are right up front followed in back by some sweetness from the malt. Some pine needles in here as well

M - Medium bodied, nice carbonation. Dry in the finish.

D - Very crisp and refreshing, like a good pils should be. Would be great in the summertime, after a day of yard work (drinking it in the shower). May have to start buying more of this puppy.

4.02/5  rDev 0%

12 oz into a pint

A - Pours a bright golden color. Strong head formation, light white in color which breaks down to a film. Does have some light hazing.

S - Strong pils malt nose, and a light backdrop of noble hopping. Some yeasty notes are present.

T - Starts off with a sweetness of piles of malt, combined with some pilsner malts. Some bitterness builds mid-stream, but I would call this a malt forward beer. Finishes with a strong bready pilsner malt flavor.

M - Strong carbonation bite. Full bodied beer. Leaves behind a light oily texture.

D - Very drinkable beer. ABV is manageable. Flavors aren't overwhelming. Not filling.

This beer accomplishes the pils style as best as any I've had.

3.21/5  rDev -20.1%

12oz bottle bottle poured into pint glass

a-crystal clear straw color..one finger head that fell quickly..some lacing...

s-a little vegetal and hops but not too much else.maybe some bready malts

t-much like the nose some vegetal up front followed by some bitter hops...the the malt comes in

m-thin and watery even for a pilsner...seems a tad over carbonated for my taste...

d-could drink a few of these based on abv and its not terrible but why when there are other better beers out there

i liked victory a lot when i first got into craft beers but the more i have them the more they seem mediocre at best with the exception of yakima twilight

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Allow this beer to sit for a few minutes after taking it out the fridge. When served cold straight from the the fridge, the hops seems to dominate, but as it gets warmer the malts become more and more pronounced and allow for a great balanced beer.

A- Pours a bright gold color, with a half inch head that recedes leaving a ring around the glass, a patch of foam in the middle, and lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- earthy, bready, grassy, with a hop smell balanced by malt

T- Malt first, and then a very strong hop taste that balances the malt and overpowers it just a little bit, and then the malts come back. malty yet bitter aftertaste.

M- Lots of carbonation, medium body, smooth and crisp.

D- This is a very complex pilsner, and has a great balance of malts and hoppy bitterness that seems to trade back and forth in your mouth. One of my favorite beers.

4.03/5  rDev +0.2%

Light straw color with 1.5 finger white head. Aroma has just a hint of lemon flavor to it, the smell is very crisp, and seems like it will be refreshing. Noble hops are also showcased. Taste is indeed crisp and refreshing, the lemon aroma is indeed in the flavor as well, also getting some grassyness. Hoppier than other Pils I have had, but I like it! Nice medium mouthfeel rounds this one out.

Overall this is a great German Pils, im not a huge fan of the style, but this is for sure the best one I have had.

4.05/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours from bottle to my glass a solid yellow/light golden color. Beer is topped with a single finger fluffy white head layer, that fades to substantial ring within a few minutes.

The nose brings aromas of crisp floral hops, and other earthy smells, like fresh rain and dry hay. Hints of banana and lemon grass are also present.

At first taste, I notice more hay and dust like flavors, but still very clean and crisp tasting. Very light on the palate and carbonated perfectly for the style. Truly a refreshing beer on a warm Sunday afternoon.

Very pale yellow color with a fantastic tall long lasting white head
Not crystal clear, but doesn't need to be

In your face hoppy aroma and flavor, unusually hoppy for a pils but works great.

medium light body with a pleasant aftertaste.

Very drinkable.

Well made and refreshing.

3.9/5  rDev -3%

A: pours an expected light, golden color with visible carbonation and about 2 fingers of light, fluffy head. A nice looking pilsner.

S: flowery hops, malt, other earthy notes

T: malts & hops right up front with a nice smooth, dry hopped finish. Has all the typical pils tastes & whatnot, but this is among the most polished pilsners I've ever had. Not really my thing, but I can appreciate good work when I taste it!

M&D: very light & smooth, among the best pilsners I've had. Easy to session, but again this is not really my style of beer. Can't imagine anyone not loving this beer if they're into the pils style.

4.35/5  rDev +8.2%

Gotta love the singles selection at the LCBO. Been meaning to try this, but the 6 pack is fairly pricey so I've been hesitant.

Pours a light golden hue, slightly opaque. I initially thought that the beer had gone south, but other reviewers have noticed the same effect so it's all good. One inch of fluffy head, dissolves into a thin layer. Lots of sticky lacing, good retention.

I have a bit of a headcold (hence drinking), so my nasal capacity is a bit compromised. No matter, because the nose is quite strong and detectable even in my sad condition. Very hoppy, with lemon and other citrus coming through. A bit of bread too.

Wow, this is one hoppy pilsner, but man is it good. The hops come through a bit later, as it starts off a bit sweet (honey), but then the bitterness takes over. Very crisp and refreshing, with lemon and rich, juicy hoppiness.

About right mouthfeel for a pilsner, well-carbonated. The bitterness sticks around on the tongue for a minute, but doesn't overstay its welcome.

One of the finest pilsners I've had in years, which is saying something because generally I find pilsners to be rather uninteresting brews. This one certainly inspired me. I'll definitely be back for a sixpack in warmer weather. A great patio brew, I'm sure.

4.6/5  rDev +14.4%

A - Slightly hazy, pale golden color. About a 1" fluffy pillowy (if thats a word) head. Bubbles rising like crazy. Looks really carbonated. Lacing is wonderful and just sticks around forever. It's about 5 minutes after my first couple sips and it is just stuck to the glass. Hasn't even slid down an inch.

S - Very fragrant. As soon as I poured it I was hit with a lot of citrus. (Grapefruit and Lemon) Also some honey.

T - Grassy malt is the first taste. Leans a bit more in the sweet department rather than bitter in my opinion. The flavor from the hops actually has way more bite than you would think from the smell. Definitely didn't think it would taste this way at all. Really hoppy for a Pilsener. After the original hops taste begins to subside I found myself left with a lemon taste. A lingering grain taste sticks around for a decent amount of time after a taste.

M -Medium-bodied. In my experiences with pilseners this seems to be a bit more bodied. Very well carbonated but not to the point it's bad.

D - Very refreshing, and crisp. I'm going to cut this review short so I can finish this beer now.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Standard brown bottle, label as pictured above.
Pours a pale golden color with a solid white head, good retention and sticky lacing. the aroma is of floral hops, a toucg of lemon citrus, and some biscuity malts. Refreshing and clean smelling. Some more floral hops in the first taste, followed up with grainy malts. Slightly bitter hop finish with some more citrus.
Mouthfeel is crisp, and well balanced. Clean, slightly dry finish, very drinkable. I can now see why this one has such high marks.
Overall, a great pilsner, would be great on a hot summer's day.

Note to Self: Ranked #1 German Pilsener when I tried it.

4.29/5  rDev +6.7%

poured form the bottle to a pilsener glass, had a big bright white head, that stuck around till the last drip. The beer has the color of honey, alot of carbonation. Smells of herbs and flowers, the hops bring the aroma together. the beer is nicely hopped with a medium body although it is lighter in color the body is not laking. this one is well balanced and goes down easy. crystal clear, refreshing and a very good beer.

4.39/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a slightly hazy pale yellow in the glass with a brilliant, dense white head. Nice, strong smell of spicy Saaz and Hallertau hops invade your nostrils and demand attention. Alternately spicy and floral hops dominate the palate and there is a strong but pleasant bitterness in the aftertaste. Quality pale malts are there but fairly lean and take a backseat to the hops fireworks going on in the foreground. A hops lovers Pilsner.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a pale golden straw colour with a 1.5 finger dense white head that displays solid retention and sticky lacing.

The nose is filled with fresh floral hops, buttery and biscuity malts, and a subtle but excellently placed hint of citrus. Smells very refreshing.

A nice dose of floral hops upfront that is quickly followed up by notes of buttery malts and biscuit and finishes bitter with citrus and herbal hops.

Mouthfeel is crisp, clean, and very well balanced. Drinkability is easy and highly refreshing.

Overall, an excellent pilsner. I'm not a big fan of the pale colour these German pilsners pour, but that goes with the style and I have no complaints in any other category. It's very refreshing and would be great on a hot summer's day. This beer is excellently balanced and the citrus notes added to the mix is what really made this beer stand out to me. Two thumbs up.

4.15/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours as you would expect - pale yellow with a white frothy head that fades after a few minutes and leaves behind minimal to moderate lacing. Aroma is pleasant - a bit citrusy and grainy. I have to confess - I didn't notice the hops in the aroma, but boy, I sure noticed them in the taste. The immediate blast of hops was a big surprise, but a pleasurable one. They're not overwhelming, but definitely a surprise for the style. Behind the hops there's the zesty citrus and malt. You get the bitter, and then you get the sweet. Makes for a very crisp and refreshing taste. There's also that bit of a "chemical" taste that I tend to get in pilseners - almost like cleaning fluid. Mouthfeel is nearly spot on for the style - thin body and generous carbonation.

Very enjoyable pilsener - my favorite to date. Very refreshing.

3.85/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass

This beer pours a clear golden color with a respectable amount of foamy white head. The head subsides quickly and leaves a minimal amount of lacing.

The hops hit you in the nose, hard, but not in a bad way. Once I got past the hops I notice a hint of lemon zest, vaguely citrusy. I am starting to get excited about trying this beer

The hops are definately evident from the first sip. Slightly sweet, mildly bitter, maybe a hint of grassyness. A little weak on the malt presence. Very refreshing, crisp, I am pleasantly surprised.

Light, crisp, a slight tingle of carbination on the tounge. This has the right mixture of flavors and is easy enough to drink that it keeps me coming back for more. I would like to see a slightly larger malt profile, as there is just the slightest hint of bready malts. Just a little too hoppy for me to consider it a traditional example of the style, it seems like alot of American breweries tend to over hop thier pilsners.

This is a good summer beer, easy to drink, clean, but still has enough character to be enjoyable. Not my favorite example of the style

3.54/5  rDev -11.9%

Picked this up to see why it was ranked #1 among German Pilseners on this site. After paying $9.50 for a 6 pack I thought that this had better be damn good for this price, wrong. Although a decent beer it is far over priced and over scored by other reviewers. Prima Pils was far to carbonated, its carbonation was that of Busch Light which does not boast flavor only drinkability. For the style it has too much hops. To me it tasted very similar to Summit Pisener where you can get 12 for this price. All in all not that bad but why people rate it so high for this style?? I would call it American style hop pilsener.

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Clear gold colour, moderate head, steady stream of bubbles. Good looking beer, head settles to a heavy film and leaves spotty lace.

A very nice pils with grass, bread, and hops in the nose and on the palate. A bit of a spicy bit and a nice bitter finish. Comes across as very fresh in character.

Nice drinking beer thats definitely worth a go.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured a clear yellow with two finger white head, spotty lacing. Smell: bready, spicy, grassy, lemon citric. Taste: grassy, spicy, lemon peel, leafy, lightly bready. Mouthfeel: light bodied, prickly carbonation. Excellent pils, hoppy and refreshing. Hadn't had one of these in a long time, excited to see Victory in FL.

4.67/5  rDev +16.2%

A- Clear, bright yellow with more pronounced coloration and head retention than many BMC's that claim to be in this style.

S- Hoppy and sweet at the same time, with a bit of grainy malts in the background.

T- This hit me like a semi. It was the hoppiest pilsener I've ever had, and I had a side-to-side comparison with Long Hammer, and this was actually stronger. Lots of floral hops, with strong citrus notes and a good malty background to bring some balance.

M/D- Light crisp body with medium carbonation, it went down entirely too quickly but would make a great session beer.

4.2/5  rDev +4.5%

Poured from a 12-oz bottle into a DFH specialty glass.

Pours a clear lemon drop color with moderate carbonation that pushes up a fairly thin bubbly white head that leaves a little bit of lacing as it quickly dissipated.

The nose is full of citrus and floral hops combined with a sweet malty aftersmell (invented that word). Good stuff.

My first real pilsener (aside from Miller Lite's claim to fame), this is pretty impressive. Plenty of citrusy and floral hops up front balanced out by some paler malts, all balanced awesomely on a backbone of crisp, dry, smooth body.

Pretty damn sessionable if you ask me; tasty, clean, moderate ABV, and not a killer on price compared to some other of Victory's brews. Another solid one from the folks at Victory.

4.09/5  rDev +1.7%

I was very excited to try this beer as i have heard many good things about it. It is rated very high here so thats a good thing. It pours great and has good lacing. The beer has a great smell of hops and citrus. The taste is also good with mouthfeel and drinkability rounding it all up

4.52/5  rDev +12.4%

a - pours a brilliant bright amber color, one-finger white head with retention around the edges and decent lacing, pretty clear with only minimal suspended sediment

s - lots of citrusy hops on the nose, orange, grapefruit and lemon, mixed with a nice grainy and bready malt aroma

t - big citrus burst up front with lots of grapefruit and lemon, mid-palate is domianted by the bitterness mixed with graininess from the malt, finish is lingering grain and bitterness with hints of lemon, no alcohol evident, incredibly tasty and hoppy for a pilsener

m - medium-bodied, quite a bit fuller-bodied than your typical pilsener, moderate to higher carbonation, quite dry finish

d - incredibly drinkable, combines the refreshing nature of a pilsener with the interesting tastes of an IPA, the bitterness makes it somewhat more harsh on the palate than the typical pils, but the taste more than makes up for it

Finally getting around to reviewing this beer after having probably several cases worth of it at this point. Too bad more brewers don't take a cue from Victory and make a hopped-up pils like this.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown