Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

ca. 44 IBU

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

Reviews: 2,077 | Ratings: 5,134
3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Poured into pint glass. Pours a crystal clear gold with a perfect white head and nice lacing. Aroma is crisp, with a good balance of spicy doughy yeast and Saaz hops. Flavor matches quite well, with a pretty strong hop resin bite for a Pils. A little strong on the carbonation, but this is a great lively summer brew. Just hearty enough to not be classified as watery, but light enough to session.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

A very light and crystal clear beer with a distinctive pils taste. Balanced flavors with moderate bitterness and dry enough finish. Very drinkable, hoppier than an average pils, good carbonation levels, very quenching. However, I have to question whether it's true to the style. Perhaps not all that traditional. And more than that, I have to question whether I really love pils in general. After all the incredible APAs and IPAs and German wheat beers I've been drinking lately, the pils taste just put me in the mind of the old BMC crap.

I recognize that this is a well made beer and perhaps I will return to it at a later date. But this isn't up my alley at the moment.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

The beer pours a very pale gold color with a lacey white head. The aroma is of pale malts and hops. It has a very bitter scent. The taste is decent. It is light and refreshing with quite a bit of hop flavor. Again, the beer has a very bitter taste. The mouthfeel is good. It is a low bodied beer with good carbonation. The beer drinks well, but it has a lingering aftertaste that may deter some from having more than one.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Pours a decent looking clear golden color with a thick white head and a little lacing. Smells of grain and citrus hops and tastes much the same with plenty of hop bitterness and a little biscuit or grain in there. Medium mouthfeel with a thick carbonation. Drinkability is alright.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

A- Pours a nice straw-gold color with dense, 2-inch, white head. Bubbles cascade up from the bottom of the glass. Laces well.

S- Lemon zest, light malt in the background. Nothing too strong, but pleasant.

T- Slightly lemony, light light malt in the background-somewhat biscuity or wheaty. Hope bitterness, giving an almost sticky dry finish. Hops are present, but not like they would be in an IPA or something. Piney. Not sure I like this, but not sure I don't.

M- Medium bodied, with medium carbonation. Slick with a dry finish.

D- A little sticky (for me) to put a bunch down, but good to enjoy one or two.

3.58/5  rDev -11.8%

Prima Pils on tap at the Falling Rock. The beer was golden yellow and clear. The head was white and loosely packed. The smell was earthy, dirty, hops. Some mineral too. The taste was also very earthy and slightly crisp. This might be really good for the style but I don't like lagers so I don't know. This was a good choice for a hot day however.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a pale golden with a thin white head... there's a slight haze to this one, and bubbles of carbonation rise like champagne in my glass. The aroma is of a fresh pine forest. As for the taste, there's hardly any sweetness here, with only mild notes from the grain. The effervescent bubbles build on my tongue, followed by grassy, piney, floral hop flavors. The tangy, bitter tannins linger in the finish. Make sure you get your nose into the glass as the hop aroma truly enhances the hop flavor.

Overall, a nice strong presence of hops in a beer that's lighter, crisper and more approachable than a big IPA for a malt-lover like myself. These aren't the citrus/grapefruit hop flavors so loved by many American brewers. These are the hops of a classic European pilsner punched up a few notches. Though not exactly smooth in my book, it's relatively drinkable.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Presentation: Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Nonic 20oz pint glass.

A: This beer pours a very light yellow color reminiscent of BMC beers, but with a nice 2 finger head. No lacing whatsoever, but nice bubbles throughout.

S: Smells of slightly citrusy hops which I like, but the Pilsner bitter is there too which I'm not as large a fan of. The smell is the best I've encountered for a pilsner though.

T: For the style I think it's the best I've had. The hops are present, but I wish more so. The bitter pilsner flavor takes over when this beer is cold. As it warms the taste improves (for me at least) and there is a slight citrus here as well. I wish there were more and less bitterness. More malt would be good too, but earns high marks for creaminess. Finishes clean.

M: Extremely good. Very creamy and coats my mouth in a way I like.

D: For the style it's highly drinkable, this just isn't my favorite style of beer. For a pilsner though I have not had one better and would drink it again.

3.57/5  rDev -12.1%

Pours a transparent golden color with a fluffy white head. Smells of hops and light malt, very crisp scent. The taste echoes the scent, good hoppy and light malt flavors, very refreshing. The mouthfeelnus medium with strong carbonation. This is a drinkable and enjoyable beer but I don't ubderstand why it scores as highly as it does. It's a great German pilsner, but there are great German breweries that are doing this style much better and have for many years. This is a good American version that I quite enjoyed, but there are people out there who can do it better.

3.56/5  rDev -12.3%

Had this one day before its "expiration" date. Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pilsner glass. Color was a clear but pale gold, could have been a bit lighter and brighter, but not bad. Head was big, white, fluffy, rocky, and left lots of lace everywhere. Tons of bubbles swirl around and up to lend support.

Smell is fairly non-existant--the only thing i can really smell is some skunky suplhury notes which actually work to its advantage. I feel bad reviewing this as the hops have diminished quite a bit. I will definately re-review when i try a fresher one. Taste is somewhat dull--mostly malt but there is still a nice bitterness from the hops. Mouthfeel could have used a bit more carbonation, most of my bubbles got used up in the swirling display of co2. Drinkability is good, very good in fact, especially if it is fresh and you like hops.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

It pours a light gold-tinged yellow. Its ever so slightly cloudy. Big 'ol sudsy head is almost gone in a minute. There is slight lacing. Nose is strong lupulin and sulpher. It is off-putting at first, but continued quaffing titilates.

Taste starts off bitter, but not as much as the nose led me to expect. It gives a nice zestyness that complements the higher carbonation level. Sweet malt comes to the surface almost immediately but is pushed back by the bitter hops, which have a slight lemon character, but are really mostly just bitter. Toward the finish a bit of that sulpher comes out, but does not linger unplesantly in the mouth.

Mouthfeel is nice for the style but may be a tad thin, also the carbonation fizzled a bit quicker than I'd prefer.

3.55/5  rDev -12.6%

Poured into a 3 oz sampling glass.

A: A deep golden/copper hue, darker than I was expecting. Short head retention.

S: The aroma was a powerful PILS, compared to other more balanced out PILS.

T: The full bodied taste was nice while drinking a handful of light summer ales. Although there was something not quite right with the overall taste. A bit too over powering for a PILS, most people found this least enjoyable, but I felt that it was a bit over done for the style. But hops were present. . > good thing.

M: A great mouthfeel for a PILS, much better that a light yellow lagerish PILS

D: Good beer for a summer tasting, by adding a nice contrast to the lighter beers we had sampled. Good beer, but not one I would buy a six pack of, maybe a single for a tasting.

Notes: Sampled at a beer tasting at Bliss in Wauconda, IL. Compared to many of the other summer beer we had tasted, this one was the most potent and full bodied.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A- Very bright yellow and not quite transparent. Head is minimal and bright white.

S- Fresh grassy smell. Hops, hops and more hops. I can see where this one is going.

T- Lively taste of fresh hops. Pilsner is just not my thing; a little too harsh. Pine and citrus excite this one.

M- Very bubbly and decent carbonation. Mouthfeel is one of this beers best qualities.

D- Again, I am not much on the strict, pilsner beers. But, if that is what you like, I would find this beer delightful. Not bad, but the harshness of the taste would get old to me.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Pours a light sparkling yellow-gold with a medium white head. Aroma is light and sweet hops, just slightly grassy.

Taste is a bit corny, sweet light malt. Sweet body with a hoppy bite that follows the flavor. A nice dry Saazy sharpness lingers into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel is very light and drinkable. A good attempt at an aggressive pilsner for a US brewer, but I'd still prefer the Czech versions.

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours pale amber with a small fading head.
Nose shows spicy hops in abundance, with some soft green apple and grape notes in the background. Also noticeable phenols along with bready malt.
More bready malt as a flavour, also some spicy hops and piney notes. Finishes with a pretty assertive bitterness.
Nice moderately-light body, could use more carbonation though.

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%

Pulled from my beer journal:

Reviewed in early May 2011 out of my Deschutes Pilsner Glass

A: Really bright golden color. Very clear with a nice head. Lots of lacing too.

S: Smells sweet and malty with a surprising shot of hops. Loved it!

T: A very sweet malt beginning that lead to a big hop flavor that I enjoyed.

M: Light to medium body with a lot of carbonation

O: Not my favorite style at first, however this beer was good. I can definitely appreciate what they were trying to do here.

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%

Slightly hazy (?) light lemon yellow with just a hint of gold hue. Medium white head reduces quickly to a thin cap. Light lacing.

Aroma is more balanced than I expected. Malty with a spiced fruit (citrus) quality and grassy hops.

Aroma is more malty than the flavor. There's a quick flash of malt to start, then a transition into a mild fruity (citrus zest) hop flavor with a touch of pine. It's the finish where the hopping really asserts itself. Looong bitter finish which goes grassy and drying.

Mouthfeel is smooth and crisp; a touch creamy.

Not bad overall; drinkable, though overrated in my opinion and certainly overpriced.

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

The Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company was a pleasant surprise. The beer had a light yellow appearance. It had a smell full of hops and floral notes. The beer had a lighter body mouth feel. The taste was light and earthy with hints of hops. This was a very nice Pilsner.

3.54/5  rDev -12.8%

Picked this up to see why it was ranked #1 among German Pilseners on this site. After paying $9.50 for a 6 pack I thought that this had better be damn good for this price, wrong. Although a decent beer it is far over priced and over scored by other reviewers. Prima Pils was far to carbonated, its carbonation was that of Busch Light which does not boast flavor only drinkability. For the style it has too much hops. To me it tasted very similar to Summit Pisener where you can get 12 for this price. All in all not that bad but why people rate it so high for this style?? I would call it American style hop pilsener.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz bottle.

A-Straw colored with filtered clarity and a decent foamy head that laces nicely.

S-Wow..a pils with real hops. Hops and grassy..decent.

T-Clean, crisp, refreshing and hoppy, for the style. I'm not a huge fan of pils, but trying to be objective here. A decent effort.

M-Well balanced overall.

D-Good beer for a summer day, but not something I'd go out of my way to try again.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had on tap and it poured a straw like color with a foamy haead that was gone quickly. Smelled hops and than more hops. Taste was not what I was expecting and maybe that is because i'm not well versed in the style. My problem was the overwhelming hop flavor. Sometimes hops are over done and IMO this is one of those instances. Finish was almost metal tasting. Beer was light and well carbonated. Not my favorite beer. Probably won't come back to this one as there are too many other beers that I like a lot more. But I still think this is a great brewery...just not this particular brew...maybe the style isn't for me???

3.53/5  rDev -13.1%

Prima is an excellent Pilsner. I drank it on a buss trip to the Victory Brewing Co. which was three hours from my hometown. The mouthfeel was easy and smooth and no harshness in the after taste. I'm thinking that it is the little twist that Victory puts in to make it their own. Cheers!

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As pilsners go this is probably the best around, at least in my neck of the woods. It pours a golden color, a bit sharper than most pilsners. Smell is mild. It has that grainy pilsner taste, but goes down fairly smooth. Has a bit more hop flavor than most pilsners, but overall the taste is pretty smooth. Not the best Victory has to offer, but you'd be hard pressed to find a better pilsner. I didn't enjoy it quite as much as I was hoping, but I think it's just because I don't like that grainy pilsnery taste.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Crystal clear which is great for the style. Pours a somewhat dissappointing 1 finger head with signs of overcarbonation. Sub Par lacing.

S: Grassy hops, yeast, and green apple.

T: Doesn't have the the super grainy pilsener taste that I am used to. The hops are very assertive in this beer and define the taste. More bitter than your average Pils. A grassy and grapefruit hop flavor combination. I think the taste fits the style more than most highly hopped pilsners. The flavor isn't 100% there though and the beer drinks a tad too watery.

M: Light and borderline watery. Dry finish.

D: Good but not great. I'd probably forget about it if it weren't made by Victory.

Overall I am a huge fan of Victory, but this one fell a bit short. The hops and color are good, but everything else is lacking. Mouthfeel is too watery, like a crossover brew. I'm not impressed by this one.

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Slightly foggy golden/straw colored with a very white colored thin layered head. Nice flimsy retention and an alright lace as well.

The freshness and yard-work come through strong. Hoppy, piney and lemony.

Bitter and strong, that has a biting character of hops. There's an underlying fruit character that's similar to grapefruit. Crisp, dry and sports a long aftertaste that is kind of hit or miss with me.

This is a rather good German beer that I would rather have than a Budweiser; it's sessionable. It's a strong tasting beer that I'll recommend, but probably not encounter again for quite a while.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown