Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: German Pilsener

Prima! It’s a German exclamation of joy. It’s a recognition of accomplishment. It’s what escaped from our lips the first time we sampled this mighty pilsner recipe. With heaps of whole flower European hops and fine German malts, we achieved the bracing herbal bite and smooth malt flavor that we sought. Prima… an exclamation of Victory! Prost!

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,272 |  Reviews: 2,115
3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is one of the most highly regarded American made Pilsners out there. I'm doing a re-review of this one. I've revisited this beer 2-3 times over the last year and although my pallet is more tolerable of hop bombed double IPAs and such, it has lost its tolerance for this over-hopped and bitter pilsner. I just don't find this beer refreshing nor easy to drink, both of which is a mandatory requirement IMO for this style of beer. I still respect it to some regards but there are several other pilsners now that I would prefer over this hop bombed pils.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Golden yellow with little carbonation and a thin ribbon of white head. Very thin lacing and head fades quickly.

S - Nice hoppy floral notes from the Noble hops.

T - Hop bitterness abounds through out - more so than I would expect from a pils. I'm getting very light grapefruit notes. Hop-dominated aftertaste is quite pleasant.

M - Very light carbonation for this light-bodied brew.

O - Not bad but I'm not crazy about it. Really not a beer I would go for again unless I'm stuck between this and a bunch of PAs and IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3 yrs in Germany... I went through a lot of German Pilsner. Two years after returning I have found an outstanding replacement. I saw this beer on a BrewDogs episode and luckily my Total Wine carries it.

Hop forward like the better German Pils. Nice pour, good head, and color. Feels a little heavier than my favorite German pilsners but is very close. It has quickly become a great beer to come home to.

I have recommended this to a few die hard pale ale friends because it is a little more refreshing and they all keep it in the fridge now.

3.25/5  rDev -19.2%

2.88/5  rDev -28.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Since returning from my first trip to Germany, I been in search to replicate the experience of enjoying a German Pilsener. The Prima Pils fits that category.

Pils tend to have a short shelf life and maybe the bottle was dated but it wasn't the experience I was hoping for.

A- Pours a straw or pale yellow that has a slightly hazy hue with a hardy medium to heavy head.
S- The balance was lacking overly floral and with some hops upfront followed by slightly sweet, grainy malts.
T- Tastes clean, and crisp upfront, a little to bitterness in the middle, finishes light, dry and sweet.
M- Medium + bodied for a pilsner with medium to heavy carbonation.
D- drinkable and not too filling.

Prima Pils from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown