Prima Pils | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Prima PilsPrima Pils

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: German Pilsener

Prima! It’s a German exclamation of joy. It’s a recognition of accomplishment. It’s what escaped from our lips the first time we sampled this mighty pilsner recipe. With heaps of whole flower European hops and fine German malts, we achieved the bracing herbal bite and smooth malt flavor that we sought. Prima… an exclamation of Victory! Prost!

Added by Todd on 07-27-2001

Ratings: 5,307 |  Reviews: 2,124

4.12/5  rDev +2.5%

Pale corn yellow in color, fluffy head with good retention, very pronounced herbal nose with a decent dose of summertime New York City subway (aka sulfur), pronounced herbal bitterness that overpowers the malt on the palate, very bitter herbal & vegetal finish. A very hops-centric Pilsner-style lager, with pronounced herbal & vegetal notes that tend to overpower the malt, a strong option for those among us who enjoy hops-centric beers .

Reviewed again March, 2015. Fresher, crisper aroma and flavor (while still maintaining the strong hope flavor reminiscent of German pilsners, but with an American twist). Better than I recall/ remember, perhaps the best German-style pilsner in America?

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.18/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

This is one of the most highly regarded American made Pilsners out there. I'm doing a re-review of this one. I've revisited this beer 2-3 times over the last year and although my pallet is more tolerable of hop bombed double IPAs and such, it has lost its tolerance for this over-hopped and bitter pilsner. I just don't find this beer refreshing nor easy to drink, both of which is a mandatory requirement IMO for this style of beer. I still respect it to some regards but there are several other pilsners now that I would prefer over this hop bombed pils.

3.35/5  rDev -16.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

A - Golden yellow with little carbonation and a thin ribbon of white head. Very thin lacing and head fades quickly.

S - Nice hoppy floral notes from the Noble hops.

T - Hop bitterness abounds through out - more so than I would expect from a pils. I'm getting very light grapefruit notes. Hop-dominated aftertaste is quite pleasant.

M - Very light carbonation for this light-bodied brew.

O - Not bad but I'm not crazy about it. Really not a beer I would go for again unless I'm stuck between this and a bunch of PAs and IPAs.

3.5/5  rDev -12.9%

4.08/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

3 yrs in Germany... I went through a lot of German Pilsner. Two years after returning I have found an outstanding replacement. I saw this beer on a BrewDogs episode and luckily my Total Wine carries it.

Hop forward like the better German Pils. Nice pour, good head, and color. Feels a little heavier than my favorite German pilsners but is very close. It has quickly become a great beer to come home to.

I have recommended this to a few die hard pale ale friends because it is a little more refreshing and they all keep it in the fridge now.

4.5/5  rDev +11.9%