St. Victorious | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Doppelbock

Availability: Spring

Limited seasonal draft only release. Doppelbock brewed w/ smoked 2-row German malt from Bamberg.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 03-27-2002

3.28/5  rDev -19.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Victory- St Victorious

Served up at the 10 year anniversary party.

Appearance- dark mahogany brown with a decent fluffy head.
Smell- sweet molasses, sugary syrup, and malt.
Taste- sweet syrupy malt with hints of molasses and cherry.
Mouthfeel- a little to thick and sweet for me. Although smooth and warm on a cold evening.

Overall- a decent doppelbock, just too sweet.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

dark amber with small head that laced well

Smelled fresh and bright. it had a floral fragrance as well. had a slight smell of rubber bands too.

tasted slightly spicy (pepper or ginger maybe)

carbonation was good

fit the style well, but apparently just not really my style. i wouldnt decline an offer for this one, but i wouldn't seek it out either.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%

A pretty rustish red with a small beige head. Honey-smoked ham and caramel-coated chocolate in the nose with an intimate aroma too from the fresh hoppaging. The flavor starts the same and then just kinda deflates. It certainly doesn't carry through like I was hoping that it would. Leaves the mouth a little skanky. Too bitter? I think so. Too bland in the end? I think so. This is a decent beer, but not what I expect from a doppelbok. Give me more flavor.

3.3/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

Single from a mix-a-six pack. Poured into a standard pint glass. Dark auburn color with orange highlights. Thin head, which is a bit of a letdown. Smell was malty and boozy. Taste was pretty decent, lots of malt flavor. The biggest gripe I have with this beer is the mouthfeel. Extremely sticky on the palate, and the alcohol profile is way too up front. Not a beer that I would want to have more than one of. An average beer, but not overly enjoyable to drink. The best-by date was 2011, and if I had a second bottle, I would try aging it. Just doesn't seem ready to drink now.

3.33/5  rDev -18%

Grabbed a blind beer from the fridge.... This one came courtesy of nlmartin in the Blind Beers #4 BIF... The beer is consumed and reviewed blind-- without any knowledge of the style or brewery.

Poured into my New Belgium Globe glass.

Pours a rusty brownish red... Light beige head of less than 1 finger settled quickly and left little lacing... I'm totally unsure of the style from the looks of it-- but I'm guessing over 8% ABV due to the poor head and retention...

Smells like swiss miss hot cocoa... and some fruits? Hard to pinpoint what it is exactly... A hint of roasty, almost-but-not-quite coffee comes into play. The fruit note reminds me slightly of Nyquil-- but like a mix of the red and the green together. I suppose "medicinal" is probably a flaw in most cases, but it isn't a complete turn-off... Still having a hard time figuring out the style-- perhaps a Scotch Ale of some sort?

Ok.... Taste says this is a lager. Actually, the finish says lager. It is crisp and clean, no hints of esters or other "yeasty" notes... So I'll cross off Scottish Ale from the would-be suspects... Well, if my guess on the ABV is correct, and it is a lager, then I don't have too many options, right?
The taste is dry. Really dry. Bitter, dry, powdery cocoa... No notes of dark fruit, but there is a roasty quality that I would compare to cheap coffee. The finish is crisp and clean-- and VERY dry. No real hop notes-- unless they are responsible for a VERY slight earthy quality I seem to find just before the swallow.

Think of the most cloyingly sweet beer you've ever had-- this beer is that beer's polar opposite. This is so dry I feel like I need water.

In any case, I'm betting this is some sort of bock. Probably an American attempt at the style. The body is medium/full with low carbonation... Not bad. It has a little gritty character that keeps it from scoring really high for me.

Overall-- this isn't bad, but it isn't really one I'd pick up again. It drinks pretty easily.

Reveals bottle to be... Victory- St. Victorious Dopplebock...

Hmmm... Ok. So this is another in the long line of Victory beers that haven't "wowed" me. This is decent though, so it definitely deserves a C+/B-, which is respectable. I have another bottle of this kicking around somewhere-- so I suppose I'll revisit this one and edit the review if I deem fitting.

A-3.5, S-3, T-3.5, M-3, D-3.5

3.33/5  rDev -18%

A: Dark brown in color with a big billowy head. The head is a mixture of cream in caramel in color. Rather nice. It lingered and lingered and left behind several nice patterns of lace.

S: I was expecting alot of malt and I got it. Nice rich sweet malts. Tons of caramel and toffee with a hint of roasted nut.

T: Hints of dark fruit and brown sugar. Tons of malt. A bit of as well not over the top in any way.

M: Medium to full bodied.

D: Not my favorite style but drinkable nonetheless.

Overall: Not a bad brew, just not my cup of tea. This one has a solid malt character both in nose and taste. Being a hop guy I can probably not appreciate this as much as many. That being said, it's a pretty good beer, rather good for a doppelbock.

3.36/5  rDev -17.2%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, bald monk giving the peace sign on the label. Nice description, as well as a best by date in 2008 listed on the label.

Appearance: Pours a very dark reddish brown with a great offwhite head. Nice retention and lacing.

Smell: Aroma is a bit odd - a bit of cooked vegetable and roasted malt, some caramel, and just a bit of sweetness.

Taste: Medium to thick bodied, lots of flavor subtleties going on here. Heavy on the malt flavors, bready, some caramel and toffee.

Overall impression: Hmm.. this one is interesting - plenty going on here, but I'm not sure if I like the total package. Glad to have tried it though, and happy to see it on the shelves in Colorado, even if it is for a pretty steep price.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

12 oz bottle. Pours a ruby red with a creamy off white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is very subdued - some sweet and smoky malts.

The flavor is sweet and sugary candy and some dark fruits followed by a grassy bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium to full with nice carbonation.

Overall, a decent beer, but nothing too special. I'd go with Fort Collins' Rauchator over this any day.

3.38/5  rDev -16.7%

The pour into my Mahr's Der Weisse Bock glass, not even terribly hard, raises a towering 1.5 inch head that settles visibly. It's a medium-light tan, and leaves virtually no lacing. Below, the body is a lovely deep ruby-brown. The nose is a bit acidic and malty, but not as much as expected. There's also a normal, grainy lager scent. The taste is sweet and malty, with an obvious alcoholic kick. Despite being a lager, it has a bit of a berry flavor to it. Even with the alcohol coming through as it does, the taste works for me. Not great, but good. The mouth is on the thick side, close to being syrupy, but in a good way. The carbonation is perfect. A workable DB, but not among Vic'ry's best.

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Amber colored beer with a quickly fading head.Aroma is mostly caramel with subtle fruits.Taste is also caramel with some bread and fruit.Overall a decent beer that is nothing spectacular but something that you would probably buy more than just once!!

look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep brown in color with a slight head. Somewhat hazy. Low aroma-somewhat metallic and sharp. Malty enough flavor but has a real homebrew like wang to it. Somewhat nutty taste. Ok body. Overall I am not very impressed. I prefer the helles/maibock from Victory. Rather average for me to be honest

3.39/5  rDev -16.5%

Nice dark amber-orange. Clear. Very little head; absolutely no head.

Strong metalic aroma. Very little sweet malt. Disappointing.

Better flavor; malty and full bodied. There is good hop balance and enough carbonation to keep the sweetness in check.

This would be a good D-bock if the smell could be rectified.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

Really good looking beer. Thick frothy tan head that takes a while to settle to a 1/4 inch foam. Dark amber, almost like a belgian dubbel. There isn't much carbonation, maybe due to the thick style or the large ABV. It smells thick with malt and it sort of has that amber-lager-hop smell at the end. The taste wasn't quite what I had expected. I think it tastes more like a bock with a lot of alcohol. It doesn't have that deep, bold, rich sweetness that I enjoy in a doppelbock like Ayinger's Celebrator. It is a well put together beer, but it needs more depth.

First Victory beer I've had that I didn't feel was a great representation of the style. That's alright, 5 out of 6 so far is much better than most breweries.

3.41/5  rDev -16%

From notes

A - clear dark caramel brown with some red highlights. Small white head, no lacing.

S - strong bready malts, hints of caramel and a bit of alcohol sting.

T - sweet malts. Toast. Some mild hint of cherries. Long warming alcohol finish.

M - medium bodied. Low carb.

D - decent beer. Fairly drinkable dispite it's high abv. Paired very nicely with some pizza.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

12 ounce bottle to a pint glass
A: I poured it really hard and got only about a half inch of tannish head, and it has fallen in the time it has taken to write this. The beer is a chestnut brown. Very standard. Not very impressive.
S: Nutty malts round out most of the nose on this beer. Light coffee and caramel flavors are noticeable.
T: Hmm, hazelnut and toasted breads. Not as strong with flavor as I would expect. Very simple IMO.
M: Pretty good, a little low on carbonation but smooth as hell. Definetly the high point of this brew.
D: Well I could buy this...or I could spend a few more dollars and get some Celebrator or Korbinian...sorry, the latter wins. I don't know what it is about me and victory, their beers just never live up to the hype.

3.42/5  rDev -15.8%

A - Garnet tint through a deep brown, one finger of head that doesn't last. No lacing.

S - Malty, mostly caramel with some coffee, lighter-bodied malts and a touch of smoke. A bit of dates and black pepper sneaks through. Its a pretty interesting mix. Although, oddly enough, it almost smells like sausage at times.

T - A bit of smoky caramel malt flavor. The aftertaste is a lingering smoked spiciness with a bitter finish. Abv is present, but only faintly.

M - A bit of gummy film is left in my mouth. It is thick and creamy, not too refreshing though.

D - Victory is a good brewery, I go into every one of their beers with an open mind, but they have never lived up to the hype. This is no exception. Please don't mistake me, it is a fairly good beer. It is just in no way exceptional and in some ways pretty average. It is easy to drink, especially for the strength, but entirely unsessionable, unless of course, you are looking to have "one of those nights" or to be "that guy." Then this would do just fine.

3.44/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz. bottle

Pours a beautiful chestnut brown with a rich ruby hue. A small tan head fades to the edge of the glass. Mild lacing.

Very unassuming aroma. Light scents of caramel malt with a slight fruitiness. Also, some alcohol is also present.

Taste is sweet and malty upfront with some nice caramel and fruity tones. There is also a noticible smokiness before a slight hop bitterness appears. Finishes sweet with a light lingering bitterness and a hint of alcohol.

Full body, ample carbonation.

A solid dopplebock and easy to consume.

3.48/5  rDev -14.3%

Very excited to try this beer once it became available in my area; just a few weeks ago.

Poured a nice dark brown/burgundy color in my goblet with a slight tan colored head that didn't stay long, but left behind a touch of scattered lacing. Aromas of malt and alcohol dominate with the faint odor of astringent (Windex or other cleaning substance); not entirely appealing, but above average. The taste was rather watered down with little complexity as the malt didn't seem to have any dimensions. The alcohol was present and worked well with the malt. Felt rather thin in my mouth. I wouldn't mind having a few in a sitting, but it's not nearly as flavorful, complex, or interesting as other doppelbocks I've had. To me this was more like an altbier or unbalanced amber ale rather than a member of the bock family.

3.5/5  rDev -13.8%

Bottle: Poured a medium brown color ale with a large off-white foamy head with good retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of caramel malt and light toffee is enjoyable though not necessarily what I was expecting from a doppelbock. Taste is also dominated by sweet caramel malt notes with light toffee notes as well. Some notes of banana bread would have complemented well this beer. Body is about average with good carbonation and no apparent alcohol. Well done though lacking usual ester.

St. Victorious from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown