Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.1

Reviews: 2,622 | Ratings: 5,848
Reviews by bkaj21:

1.86/5  rDev -54.6%

Short and dirty..did not like this. I love Impy stouts and this one disappointed. There was too much hops on the front and bitterness with no point. The malt was in its own right one dimensional. Coffee came through a little bit but was overwhelmingly beat back by bitterness and alcohol. Not pleasant and very hard to drink. Of all the Stouts I have had this was my least favorite. I tried to give it a chance, but after choking down four of these in an attempt to better appreciate it, I gave the final 2 away to a friend of mine who is a macro drinker because he will drink anything to catch a buzz. Not only will I not seek out again, I will advise against trying it.

3.2/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Definitely a black IPA rather than a stout. If being judged as a stout it fails miserably, buts it's a good black IPA. I'm confused, but the bottle clearly says Stout.

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a thick, pitch black with a HUGE 3 inch chocolate milk colored head. Dense head that lingers for the duration of the beer. Sticky ring lacing on the way down. Absolutely beautiful. Smell is of dark fruits, sweetened coffee, and cocoa powder. Taste is of burnt espresso/coffee, bittersweet chocolate, and slightly sweet cherry/plum. A lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue after each sip that stays with you for a while. Carbonation is good and does not take away from the thick, creamy feel of this beer. Overall, this is an absolutely delicious RIS that I will be revisiting again. I am glad this comes in 12 oz. bottles as the 9.1% ABV can sneak up on you.

3.81/5  rDev -7.1%

Can't believe I've never reviewed this beer, so I figured it was time. Best before June 6th, 2016. Served in a Surly Darkness glass.

A - Pours with a finger of dark than foam that slowly settles to a thick, creamy, cap, leaving behind glass-coating lacework. Body is black, with maybe the faintest dark brown shade to it.

S - There's a lot of hops here - plenty of earthy pine and grapefruit character. Underneath, there's some semisweet chocolate, caramel, roasted malts, licorice, and a touch of char.

T - Taste is a mixture of tobacco, baker's chocolate, caramel, roasted malts, and a hefty dose of herbal hop bitterness in the finish mingling with some espresso and char. The transition from sweet mid-palate to bruising bitterness is somewhat abrupt.

M - Carbonation is too high - please turn it down. Body is medium, and somewhat light for an RIS, although it's not unreasonable for a 9.1% brew. Otherwise the texture is smooth and the finish is sticky, with some obvious resinous hops lingering as well. Light warming alcohol presence.

D - I imagine this was really unique and provocative six years ago. Unfortunately there are many Imperial Stouts that do the same trick better these days. Easy to drink, and certainly one of the 'classics', but Victory seems a bit like a dinosaur these days.

1.65/5  rDev -59.8%

Pours a deep brown with a giant head which is receding slowly but surely. The head is a light tan color, sticky in some places and quick to recede in others.

Smells super hoppy and oily. Barely getting any malt character at all on the nose. Getting dark malt scents now that i've let it breathe for a bit. Head is really really sticky in some spots. Not a bad looking brew.

Slight malty sweetness up front with touch a caramel but besides the mouthfeel, the rest of this beer tastes like a double ipa. Lots of oily and citric hops present on the back of the tongue along with a good amount of bitterness.

The hops actually lend to a good deal of the beers flavor, i'm getting grapefruit and even pineapple notes. Alot of flavors are present, but i dont think they all blend well at all.

Am I wrong for not wanting a hop bomb out of a stout?

2.33/5  rDev -43.2%

Appearance: Black with a quarter-inch chocolate-colored head.

Taste and smell: Malty and roasted, espresso, brown sugar, surprising hop kick in the finish. Pretty acrid and harsh.

Mouthfeel: Not as chewy as other Imperial Stouts; somewhat thin. Medium carbonation.

Drinkability: Not a fan of this beer, it's rather acrid. I recall it being enjoyable a couple years ago, but I can't say that I like it anymore.

I was not expecting the bitterness you would expect from an IPA. Besides that, I really liked this beer, and could only think of pairing it with a nice slice of chocolate cake.

3.16/5  rDev -22.9%

Look: Absolutely wonderful. Pours like Guinness.

Smell: VERY pungently spiced, bitter, strong.

Taste: Like a kick in the mouth! Perhaps its the very high ABV, but this beer is a VERY pungent, very sharp, robust flavor. You take a sip and need some time to recoil.

Feel: VERY thick and little carbonation, like a Guinness, but leaves a strong hoppy aftertaste.

Overall: I'm not sure. It's far too pungent for my taste in stouts/porters, but if you like really bold, intense beers, this may be for you.

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

Had a very nice head that stayed until the last few drinks.

Had a very nice nutty coffee smell to it. Head was a dark milk chocolate look to it.

First taste had a very coffee hops bitter taste that gave a very hard kick to my taste buds, probably from the 9.1% alc. Every drink after that became much more bitter to where I couldn't almost finish the last few drinks.

Seemed very thin and had no point to the bitterness.

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Very bitter, we were highly disappointed due to all the incredibly high ratings. Bought 12 and handed them out. No one in the office liked them. Don't believe the positive hype on this. This is a beer for IPA and other bitter beer drinkers. If you don't like hoppy/bitter beers, avoid this.

3.6/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: Black, good tan head. Kinda comic-y font and unappealing label. W/e.

S &T: Nice thick roasted chocolate malt. Minty pine sticks to the background on the nose, but jumps up to the lead role on the palate (why??). The chocolate is still there, but irreparably marred.

M: On the thinner side, but still has that nice oily quality without too much prickly carbonation.

O: Good, but why the big hops? Can't we have a totally non-hoppy beer nowadays? Keep hops where they belong! Or at least let me know that I'm verging on black IPA territory.

3.39/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Brownish/black.. definitely not inky.

Small tan head.

Moderate carbonation, bummer. Fizzy upon sipping.
Getting roasted malt and not much else, bitterness on the finish.

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

L- Pours a beautiful deep black color with only very slight red tinting around the glass. 1 inch creamy, espresso colored head.

S- Roasted coffee, dark chocolate, burnt brown sugar.

T- Follows the nose, with some bitter roasty hops coming in and pairing with that deep, rich chocolate sweetness in a decadent, bittersweet glass of heaven for stout lovers. Very very bitter, the kind of bitterness that lingers on the tongue for hours afterward, and a pleasurable palate wrecker. Hides the ABV very well though. This isn't a beer for the faint of heart, but there's an amazing layer of sweetness hidden beneath the bittering hops.

F- Fairly thick body, much more full bodied than expected. Slight carbonation, pretty creamy.

O- One of my top 5 stouts of all time, and possibly my favorite when all factors are considered. This is an absolutely beautiful creamy, sweet, bitter masterpiece that is a bit more like a black IPA than a traditional stout. I don't care what you call it though, I just think it's amazing.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

I have been waiting a long time to try this beer but never got around to picking up a bottle until recently. I regret the decision to finally pick this up the other night, but I am very thankful I only picked up one, rather than the whole six pack.

The beer looked good enough: dark, nice head

The beer smelled only slightly better than it tasted. Smelled like charcoal, alcohol, and maybe a hint of berries (which is the reason for the extra .5 over taste).

The beer tasted terribly - I choked this thing down. Alcohol and charcoal awfulness.

The beer had mouthfeel that was disappointing- much, much too thin for a stout of this alcohol content. I might be scoring it higher here, since he taste and aroma were so bad and the mouthfeel, by comparison, was much better.

This beer was just not good. I wil never try it again, and I recommend that you do not either.

3.83/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a Duvel snifter glass.

A - 4.50 - Pours jet black with a decent head potential, forms a finger of medium tan colored head. Low head retention, dissipates quickly. Spotty lacing left on the glass.
S - 4.50 - Malts, dark chocolate, currants, black strap molasses and a touch of coffee.
T - 3.25 - Too much hop profile, needs to be aged out. Medium sweet malt, chocolate and currant upfront which is pleasant, but quickly fades into a black IPA reminiscent hoppy bitterness that lingers for quite a long time on the palate and in my opinion, quite frankly has no place in an imperial stout. Really takes away from the experience for me.
F - 4.25 - Good mouthfeel. Decently thick.
O - 3.75 - Fresh, this thing drinks more like an triple imperial black IPA than an imperial stout. It has the qualities of a stout upfront, but sadly the hoppy finish really takes over. I feel this one needs a lot of time to age out that hop profile and may be revisiting this review a year or two down the road from now.

3.93/5  rDev -4.1%

This is a tough category in that it pleases lots of reviewers who give them top reviews.
Well marketed with wide distribution, Storm King is easy in the top 10 reviewed, yet its ratings are not in the top 100.
Despite having a 92, I find it undistinguished... principally because the burnt malt and hops steal the show.

This is listed on the "1001 Beers" and, arguably, should not be there.

2.54/5  rDev -38%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Ouch, a very harsh beer. There are remnants of something big here, a overlooked work of high art, a great dream... but no more than remnants.

It begins with the visual claim to and bold evocation of the form of the imperial stout. Perhaps ,to some, the imperial stout is unsurpassable, known as a grand effort and gesture in brewing, the longest throw. Storm King's owl icon art paired with the Victory Brand label deliver a formidable nod in this deep, dark beer tradition and aesthetic, one shared and partaken of by many, as evidenced by the thousands of hads on this drink. This beer is opaque, dark, black. It fills any drinkware quickly, and like oil. At pour, a 3 inch, tense, dense, slow boil of foam appears, tan-brown and perpetually lingering. Smell-wise, there is much promise here. Familiar, metallic, astringent aromas bound forth, heavy hops and malt, very complex and balanced, leaning here towards Russian Imperial style in figgy, oaky, vanilla smokiness yet still aggressively hoppy. Taste is where it all goes down for me in this Pennsylvania beer, and not necessarily in a good way. The flavor, if you will, comes on very well, very strong, porter-esque and buildling, and then just kind of flops. Pine, hops, malt, and brazen, syrupy, molassesy, yeasty, worty tastes take center-stage here. Unfortunately, despite summoning all of these exciting notes, what came next to tongue and mind was a seriously unpleasant, out-of-control black pepper, and way over-roasted malt. Now, again, I like the olefactory elements of this beer, which pulled the taste up from a serious 0 to a 1.5, but where the smell promises, the taste under-performs. The alcohol scrambles and overwhelms to compensate and fails. The taste itself brings nothing to enjoy for me over the course of one of these 12 oz'ers. The flat, thin, sourness both introduces and gives way to a slick, pulpy, rind-y mouthfeel, with a bit of an elmer's glue problem of an after-presence.

Speaking of bottles, considering the notably low carbonation of this beer, I thought if poured into a nice new can-glass (maybe foolish), maybe it would mellow out towards something like a nitro feel? Nah, it just went flat :(.

By now you may have gathered that I didn't love this beer, and after a 4-pack, I didn't really have any beatific experiences to relate from or while drinking it. But look, just because I don't love it, doesn't mean I hate it. In fact I even like it, because I like all beer, but in this review's frame, I would not considerate to be among the pleasurably drinkable strong beers. Overall, this is not really a recommendable imperial stout, by me, at this point in time. Maybe tweak this one, Victory? Thanks for reading, and keep on, fellow stout/imperial stout lovers!

2.02/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

Black coffee is all I got.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

What a great find to see this on tap at the Spring House Drafting Room,pours a deep black with a light moch head that leaves some small traces of lace.Aroma is alcoholic and chocolaty with some burned fruit aromas,taste is of roasted malt and alcohol with some dark chocolate hints and even a little tar-like flavor as well.A real complex beer and way to easy to drink for the style I can see why the high marks are given.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

Appearance: a pure black pour with a nice looking, dark tan head..

Smell: the nose just oozes of cocoa and espresso bean. dark unsweetened chocolate is underneath it all, just waiting to pop out.

Taste: i found the taste to be somewhat toned down from what the nose had prepared me for. still, a nice cocoa flavor with light hints of espresso bean and mild chocolate. very smooth body that ends nicely chalky and heads towards a bitter and dry finish. Was that orange in the mix too?! Hmmm, seemed like it to me.

Mouthfeel: very very creamy and rich...but not full or heavy. very nice staying power with flavors lingering nice and long.

Drinkability: a top notch stout. greay nightcap or dessert beer....or hell, whenever. right now i'm enjoying it on a cold winter day. This is a classic.

4.75/5  rDev +15.9%

I had tasted this on tap several months ago, but only had a sample-sized half pint. Therefore, I was very excited to have a whole pint of this all to myself.

My Storm King was delivered by the wonderful bartender at Monk's in a tall pint glass. This is one of the darkest stouts I've ever seen. It's pretty much black. Dark black.

For those of you that are fans of the hop, this is the stout for you. There were hints of coffee, chocolate and mystery fruit. This is a very complex beer.

4.6/5  rDev +12.2%

Appearance – This poured an amazing pitch black color with the most beautiful Imperial head that I have ever seen. It literally took 15 minutes to go down. It pitted impressively and left the most detailed lacing on the planet. The head itself was very dark, well beyond tan, and absolutely gorgeous.

Smell – Man, this has it all. The hops come out right away, letting the drinker know that this is a well-balanced IS. The rich espresso bean is top notch, and the chocolate compliment is very exciting. This is not your typical corner store candy chocolate. This is more of your hard to find someplace in the heart of San Francisco type of chocolate. The espresso is very rare as well, making this Victory offering a find indeed.

Taste – Man, is this a big-un! The huge espresso and absence of coffee is very unique. Somebody worked pretty hard to put this brew together. It is extremely rich, and the espresso flavors are underscored with a beautiful vanilla and oak tinge as well as a monster sugar profile that only the Gods could love. This is quality at its finest.

Mouthfeel – Close to full-bodied in the mouth and very chewy. This one was very quenching and dry yet enticing and cloying. Absolutely no sense whatsoever of the high ABV.

Drinkability – Can I drink one SKS every night for the rest of my life and not be too offending to other BAs? This stuff was awesome and definitely lives up to the hype.

Comments – I did a trade with OldFrothingSlosh and this was just one of several beers that he sent me. I couldn’t believe the exclusive “Top 50” membership included in this swap. Big, huge, thanks to a true BA who filled my coffers (and cellars) with some of the best beer on the planet.

PS: This marked my 500th review, and I was glad to share it with the BA community via a beer provided to me by a wonderful standard-bearer of the site. Cheers & Beers!

Update – As I am now well past my 1,000th review and over a year has passed since I rated The King, I thought I’d give it another thoughtful taste.

It is still one of the most drinkable “big beers” on the planet, and its balance is impeccable. Although I’ve had other stouts that have caused me to rethink my idea of “full-bodied” (I’d say this is definitely not full-bodied now) I’m raising the Drinkability rating by 0.5 and officially calling this one of my favorite beers of all time.

4.65/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: Jet black beer, thick as pitch, thin mocha crown, decent stickiness and retention. Very syrupy looking.

Nose: must and earth, citric acid, rosted grains, coffee and chicory.

Taste: Complex malt character. They’re big and roasty. Coffee, dark chocolate, bitter chicory, molasses, dirt, and dank wood. Subtle dark fruit comes through the finish.

MF: Thick yet smooth as silk worm’s cocoon. Hints of citrus balance out the big malts.

Drinkability: Really dangerous. This one goes down too easy for the ABV and style.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown