Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.1

Reviews: 2,632 | Ratings: 5,877
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Black as a moonless night, the storm king rears up its head into a turbulent froth and slowly settles to a tan whisper. I’m intrigued.

Pungent earth tones and chocolate notes swim up and fill my head as I inhale the roasted barley and sweet smokiness. I smell the damp, Northeast woods and faint mist of the forest.

I pour the dark elixir into my mouth. It is smooth with deep roasted low notes. I am satisfied. As it cascades into me I’m left with a sweet bitter honey afterthought that lingers and slowly dissipates as I reach for another sip of this delicious stout.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

How remarkable -- a beer that actually stands up to (and surpasses?) all the hype that it's afforded.

Aromatic complexities that boggle the mind. The musty comfort of a wet, day old sponge underlies dark chocolate, raisinets, and toasted crackers. A distinctly flame-kissed fragrance hints at the impending roasted bitterness.

And it arrives in glorious fashion. Heavy molasses cookies meets flambéed cascades. Finishes with a swirling roasted bitterness that leaves a lingering astringency reminiscent of chewing on wood and an aftertaste that just won't quit.

I could have had 3 of these. How is that possible?

So, so good.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from 12oz bottle(Enjoy Mar 16 11) a pitch black with a medium sized head of foam that shrunkly quickly but left a solid layer with lacing.

The smell is all roasty at first and then really hoppy with alcohol notes present as well. Holding my nose to the glass for a bit longer, I notice there's some chocolate there too.

The taste comes at you from 3 directions: There's a very nice roasted malt-chocolate bite that hits me first followed by a hop bitterness that stops this brew from ever getting too sweet, nice.. and for me, there's just a touch of the alcohol noted in the smell but dang, it makes me think, this is 9.1%abv? How dog gone smooth for a RIS but it's not due to lack of flavour; 3 directions? Yeah but...they all come together and make for a most enjoyable sipping experience!

Bottom line: I need more of this stuff!!

Thanks to jwc215 for this sample!

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12oz bottle with bottled on date of oct 31 (Halloween night) 05. Pours a jet black color with a tan head on top with about half inch of size. Very nice looking. Consistency of warm honey.

Terrific aroma. Lots of fruity and citrusy hops. Alcohol aroma and chocolate. Huge coffee aroma as well. This is a wonderful smelling beer that makes me very eager to jump in and drink this little piece of heaven.

Where to start. Fresh hops taste. Huge on the coffee. Chocolate. Dried plums. Very fresh tasting. A wonderfully tasting and complex beer.

Perfectly creamy body and nice hop bitterness. High alcohol content but extremely drinkable at 9.1%. Glad I bought this. I am also cellaring two bottles for sampling in one year and two years. We shall see how the flavor evolves and changes and improves/ gets worse. Laters.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Initially had this on tap at the brewery. Oh.so yum!

Very dark and velvety color. Virtulally no head. Aroma is roasted coffee with toffee and toasted notes. What a delightful smell this beer has!

This beers taste is chocolaty and roasted. Also a very strong alcohol/ethanol flavor. The hops definitely force their way to the front of this beer like nobody's business.

at 9.1%, this beer is amazingly drinkable. I have enjoyed this beer countless times, and intend to enjoy them countless more. Good on you Victory. This beer rocks!

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

A damn good russian imperial stout. Not much to say about it then to say it's almost perfect. From a beautiful black with a tan head appearance, a very aromatic nose, and full of flavor to the smoothness and balance of the beer overall. It's a great beer and I'll be warming myself up in the cold winter months with this stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is an amazing stout. I love the blackness and the overall intimidation this beer brings. The nose is quite nice. It has a sweet and powerful smell to it. The head is tan and lasts for the entire pint. The beer is great by smell and appearance alone. The taste is phenomenal. The Victory crew does a great job of masking the alcohol. There are a lot of roasty, chocolatey flavors that are prevelant at the front of this beer. The hops are definitely American and make this stout a nice treat. The malt is great in that it doesn't ever give up. The body holds for the entire beer. Drinkability is great being that the flavors are so good and the alcohol is masked. Definitely deserves to be in the top 50. Cheers.

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Lawsy, what a beer. Pours a jet-black turgid brew with a lacy tan head. Smell is of dark chocolate, espresso, and whipping cream. Taste is sheer immaculance. At 9.10 ABV this baby packs quite a wallop. Head-to-head with Stone's Imperial Russian Stout as the kings of this genre. Staggeringly good...

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Who spiked my stout with IPA? This one's a stout with velvet gloves on roids lashing out on unsuspecting strangers. I'll never believe for a minute that this is over 9%. Like a cover of "Smooth Criminal" sung by Johnny Lydon, the hops bite covering up a more sinister intoxication. I'm usually a weary of wild experimentation of styles, but the massive hop infusion creates something new and wonderful. Eight cheers.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I drank a lot of stout's in my life, but I have not sampled a huge variety of Imperial Stouts, but this is wonderful.
Poured a deep chocolate that I can't even see through holding my eye right up to the glass which is just in front of a light bulb. Creamy chocolatey 1.5 finger head which remains around the rim and small marble size bubbles on top.
Smells of sweet and dark chocolate, mocha, roasted malt, coffee, and alcohol. I have a small cold so I cannot get the nuances.

Tastes of chocolate, malt, and coffee with a even bittery hop finish.
Very nice beginning bubbly hit with a bitter aftertaste that lasted for at least 2 minutes. Alcohol so well hidden I cannot pick it up anywhere but, in the smell. This takes the cake for me! I am so happy I picked up a sixer on my trip to Chicago (Binny's) over the Holidays! My wife even picked it out and surprised me!

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

I don't have much more to add, which hasn't already been said. Nice bottle design. You notice after pouring that the beer is actually darker than the bottle.

Pours a deep dark black. Cascading effects are cool, ending with a thick tan head. Very...slowly...dissipates into a creamy ring that laced the glass to the bitter end.

Thick and juicy, like a homemade coffee drink. Charcoal, chocolate and the roasted malts come rushing in, just to get a rocket punch from some hops that tame them so nicely.

Chewy greatness.

Yes I would have a couple. Happily, I bought a six-pack this week. Has gone well with dessert, by itself, and with a thick steak.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Sampled from a 12oz bottle with a Bottled on stamp of Sept 26 02. Sampled on August 13, 2003. Sadly this beer will never seen it's first birthday.

Poured a pitch black with a big, frothy caramel colored head. The head faded in about two minutes to a thin, bubbly covering. With a quick swirl or through drinking this stout leaves rings of lacing that don't seemd to want to cling to the glass.

Aromas of bitter coffee, malt, toffee, earth, and hops rise from the glass like the bird on the bottle.

The first texture is creamy and full bodied on your tongue. It is quickly followed with toffee flavors, then bitter coffee, caramel, malt, and a slight hop bite at the end to wash away any hints of sweetness. Finishes clean and dry, but leaves the mouth watering for more. There is little to know taste of alcohol and with the exception of the label there is little to indicate it's 9.1% ABV.

I wonder, since this is bottle conditioned does it just get better with age? Sadly I will not know for some time as this was my only bottle.

I'm glad I had a friend provide me with a sample. I'll have to return the favor.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

12oz bottle with "best by April 27, 2012" - so its likely less than 3 weeks old. Poured to snifter.

A: Dark black/brown, no light through, very dense. Nice espresso crema head that forms pillowy with large bubbles on top, slow dissipation with some serious legs. Head holding upwards of 10-15 minutes, this one is staying around. Ends with a nice mocha-colored covering with nice lacing that decorates the glass.
S: Espresso, brunt wood, smoke, sharp hops in the background. Coffee is fairly dominant. Very hoppy - citrus notes on top of the malt are wonderful.
T: Stunning. Melted chocolate, dark chocolate, espresso all dominant. The hops really sharpen it, keep it original. Finishes a bit bitter, not quite as clean as I'd like. Alcohol is not apparent - 9.1%, no way.
M: This is a really creamy, wonderful stout - with the head on top its initially the same sensation as drinking an aerated milkshake. Nice and sharp finish, really creamy body that is so smooth.
D: This is a great stout, and I'm excited to have this brewey now distributing in GA. Creamy, espresso, chocolate and hops - what else do you want? What a great way to start a Thursday afternoon off with 2 Victory's and a Dogfish to try!

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Is this a stout or a black IPA? That's what I and I'm sure you will be asking after you try this for the first time. I was afraid after having a Cigar City Jai Alai and a Cpt. Lawrence Seeking Alpha that I wouldn't be able to appreciate the taste and hopiness my coworkers said it had but lo and behold, it's the hopiest beer I've had all night. Very different but in a great way. 93/100

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Wow! Pure opaque black with a huge coarse black head. The aroma is fantastic dark burnt malt and slightly sweet. I don't know if I'm drinking beer or a cup of some of the best coffee I've had all week; crisp, balanced, and punchy. It has the body of a dry, bitter stout and the noted 9.1% ABV on the label is not detectable in the mouthfeel, smell, or taste.

A truly fantastic stout. In contrast to other stouts, I could probably drink this all night. Well, I could probably drink this until I fell over.

Bottled 10-14-05

Appearance: Jet black body, large tan head, good retention.

Smell: Chocolate, both milk and dark, alcohol vapors, and a slight acidity, very nice.

Taste: Overflowing with dark roasted malts, espresso, which culminate in a fine hop finish, a finely crafted RIS.

It had been over 2 years since I last cracked open a storm king, but this remains a very good, if not great, beer.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Victory Storm King Imperial Stout pours a deep black with a big mocha head that leaves some lace in the glass.

smells of chocolate-like dark roasted malts and licorice.

the taste is rich and creamy with dark bitter chocolate, coffee, and a certain 'burned' taste that reminds me of charred wood used to grill food with. the hops are bright and floral in the end. alcohol is apparent throughout, but not overbearing. this is an excellent imperial stout

mouthfeel is chewy and creamy, though leaving the mouth dry, and tasting like i just bit into some dark chocolate.

this is an easy drinker for me. tastes overflow with dark, bitter chocolate and floral hops. what's not to love?

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Pours a black, thick, and a gorgeous head, deep tan, wonderful lacing in arches down the glass. Aroma of nice roasty bean, coffee, sweet chocolate, molasses, brown sugar, very very nice. Taste begins sweet with chocolate and brandy perhaps, then comes the espresso and a bittering from just enough hops and almost too agressively roasty malt. Also, there is some dark fruit, like a brown sugared apple or something. Basically, the mouth is the greatest feeling under heaven, smooth, creamy and the slightest carbonation and pleasantly warm down the throat. This is one of those rare, wonderful beers that you take a sip, swallow, then continue to 'drink' it as you swallow the residue in your happily salivating mouth. When I think of stouts, this is what I hope for.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

It was a dark and stormy night!

This, the tongue-in-cheek beginning of many a Peanuts Snoopy novel, now seems completely apropos of my experience with the Imperial Stout from the court of Victory called Storm King.

A thundercloud of foam the color of dark coffee stain sits brooding over the inky black liquid I've just poured from bottle to glass. The beer below the thunderhead is an absolutely opaque black velvet. Even held up to the lamp the only discernable highlight is a sliver of garnet tracing the conjunction where beer meets glass. Some carbonation is visible rising through the column of obsidian brew, just barely enough to counteract a cloying sensation later on.

I'm totally unprepared for the aggressive surge of fresh hop fragrance that assails my nostrils followed by a pleasing wave of roasted malt aroma. The effect of this is impressively suggestive of broiled grapefruit covered in caramelized brown sugar recently pulled from the oven.

As the foam recedes leaving a swag of lace I raise my glass and sip the sable libation. Immediately I'm embroiled in a tempest of complex, luscious flavors of strong, rich dark espresso with bitter chocolate shavings, assertive grapefruit hoppiness, malted chocolate milkshake and burnt toast with black currant jelly that conceals the high abv. The mouthfeel, if there is a fault to this beer, is almost syrupy. It is huge, satisfying, and oily and goes down slick leaving a stickiness on my lips and a splendid, showy, bitter coffee aftertaste that is surprisingly smooth, demanding and utterly captivating. It lingers on the palate for what seems an eternity.

This is a storm I'll be happy to weather again and again.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Wonder what everyone's talking about? Then go get one. Or ten. This is an amazing brew from the boys at Victory. Most recently had it on tap at their brew-house. Pours with a great caramel colored head and a nearly opaque body. Smells of chocolate, espresso... Taste is amazing for an american brewed beer of this high ABV. Alcohol is balanced beautifuly. There's just that hint at the end reminding you it is there. But it takes nothing away from the rich flavor of roasted hops, coffee and chocolate. Damn this is good stuff!

Review #400.

Victory has come to Wisconsin and the arrival of Storm King was the one from the line that I was looking forward to finding most and finally being able to try. I had already sampled Hop Devil, Golden Monkey and Old Horizonal after finding them in Chicago a few years ago, but it was Storm King that elluded me until now.

A thick brown head sits atop a body that's as black as a moonless, starless night sky. Aroma of expresso, cream, sweet cocoa with hints of dark fruit and alcohol. The mouthfeel is full-bodied and luscious. Introductory flavors of sinful dark chocolate and burnt malt. Expresso coffee and cocoa follow. Assertive (but balanced) hop bitterness towards the back sets this apart from most other Imperial stouts. The 9.1% alcohol is barely detectable which makes this an even more dubious offering. One of the best, for certain.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Color: Pours a jet black color with the consistency of motor oil with a decent mocha-brown two finger head.

Aroma: Roasty with strong coffee aroma. A hint of chocolate and licorice in the aroma as well. Hops stand out well but do not seem to be overpowering.

Taste: Starts out with a decent roasty bitterness followed by flavors of coffee, chocolate and licorice. Hops are just right and seem to add to the smoothness of this.

Mouthfeel: Roasty, bitter and thick with a creamy consistency. Muted coffee/chocolate flavors. Little hop bitterness.

Drinkability: Very smooth and simple. A straightforward RIS that hits it on the spot for me. Alcohol is just right too. I would recommend this as an introduction to the style. I would also rate it higher than McNeils RIS because the hop bitterness does not overwhelm the palate.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Thanks to Malto for this sample. My god , the head looked like a Starbucks exploded into a full gale making me realize that this stout was for the big boys or girls. It smelled like a cross between Old Crusty and Rogue Imperial Stout mixed together; all plums, alcohol, hops and tobacco.

The taste was to say the least intense; big, nay huge hops with a backbone the size of Texas. I love Barleywines and so was not overwhelmed by the complexity and in your face profile of this beer.
Yeah, cellaring would smooth things out but I loved this beer.

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Pours the darkest of blacks with absolutely zero light coming through. A gorgeous fluffy mocha colored head rests lightly above the storm below. The light fluffy head contributes wonderful lacing down the sides of the goblet. God, this looks yummy!

Smell: Sweet chocolate and coffee malty goodness. The roasted character is highly prevalent in the nose, and it smells delicious. Some hints of alcoholic esters fade in and out as well.

Taste: Roasted coffee and espresso goodness be found! The sweetness is well balanced by the bitterness of the coffee and the roasted malts. Some twinges of oatmeal also are present.

Mouthfeel: Thick and chewy. This is definitely a solid RIS. It coats the tongue and mouth, and leaves a very strong coffee and espresso aftertaste.

Drinkability: Its 9.1% ABV is on the lower side for some of the richer RIS's, and its coffee flavor is definitely on the high end as well. If either of these factors are not high on your list of wants, this might not be the RIS for you. Personally, it's exactly what I want from an RIS: rich, creamy, chewy, malty, bitter, yummy goodness!

4.63/5  rDev +12.9%

Appearance: Pours a dark, opaque black with just a little allowance of light and dark tan/brown head.

Smell: Strong burnt malt/bittersweet chocolate with hints of both coffee and hops.

Taste: Caresses your tongue and coats your mouth with a thick, rich flavor that seems like all the best potential flavors ever in any stout have combined here. From rich expresso notes to the smooth chocolate tinge, this is one kickbutt stout.

Mouthfeel: Next to absolute perfection. Medium to Heavy body that goes down perfectly smooth. The smoothest and easiest quaffing imperial stout I've ever tasted.

Drinkability: Warming alcohol is quite well hidden. The 9+% alch can sneak up on you....be careful - I won't have more than two of these in one sittng (anymore) as they do start to seem heavier after one..and as experience has shown, even more so, after two. A stunningly great beer, for certain, and one I always buy a case of on trips home to PA.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown