Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Storm King StoutStorm King Stout

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Reviews: 2,619 | Ratings: 5,836
4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Purchased multiple times at Consumers Beverage in Buffalo. A sixer is totally worth the $10.

Foam Factor: Poured silky smooth with a tan head that eventually gave way as it warmed. Black, black, and more black. No light penetration here.

Skunk Factor: Changes over temp range. Starts out strong, in your face, and hop-like. As it warms, becomes more refined as chocolate and nut- like notes kick in. Finishes coffee-like, a tad bitter, and craving more. I truly enjoyed the taste progression.

Tongueland: Tastes as it smells. The flavors that emerged really balance this beer. Imperial is a superb trip down stout lane. Untill this point, I prefered an oatmeal or cream stout. Imperial has regulated those to breakfest fare.

Chug Factor: I sipped this all night long. The 9.5 % ABV reminded me that this was a beer an hour product. I passed up the opportunity to play beer pong to drink this. Another night, we had a keg of Canadian. I passed on the Canadian (a rarity) to sit in the corner and engage in lively conversation about the quality of this beer. Made me want to get a pipe and some loafers and sit in front of a fireplace and act refined.

Bender: This has made me feel overall pretty good about life. Here in Buffalo, there is nothing worthwhile going on in the winter except for the day that Storm King arrives. I have it on my calender. A great way to relax and take some time off from plastic cups.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

This beer is sampled at room temp.
I pour the brew into my snifter. The beer pours pitch black with a 1 inch creamy tan tightly packed head foaming up easily. The head also fades slowly to a surface layer in my glass. Aroma is a mixture of grassy hops and roasted malt, very balanced nose!
First sip gives me a creamy texture and slightly bitey carbonation. Flavor is twangy sweet like a baltic porter up front and then earthy hops in the middle, while the finish is roasted malt and even brief hits of chocolate. This beer is incredibly well balanced and easy to drink. No hint of the ABV. A great beer that is even better than I remembered!

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

This is my fifth beer from a six pack. poured from the bottle into a glass. Appearance is dark brown to black wiht a two finger chocolate colored head. Aroma is roasted malt, not overpowering, in coffee and expresso notes. There is alos a light citrus or pine aroma that blends in well and doesn't overpower the malt. This beer is well balanced. The flavors of the roasted malt and the hops do not overpower each other and blend well together. Expresso and citrus notes present in equal force. Finish is relatively clean. Mouthfeel is heavy to medium, but thinned out by some of the oily feel of the hops. Drinkability is great for a stout of this type. I could have three or four in one sitting. The clean finish allows for this.

Overall, one of the better stouts I have ever had. Great strong flavor and exceptional balance.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Served cask'd, in a tulip glass, at the Great Lost Bear. It's an opaque dark brown liquid, with a big tan foam head. There is lots of rising carbonation in the glass, that slowed and finally disappeared. Some clinging carbonation remains on the sides of the glass. The aroma isn't as strong as I expected it to be. It can detect some roasted malts and some chocolate. Perhaps the cask format has limited it's aroma? Wow, what a stout! I can see why this used to the top ranked beer here. It starts out creamy and slightly sweet, with a kiss of chocolate. I swallow, and the bitter malt flavors come out. It's not a coffee bitterness, per se, but more of a roasted whole grain flavor. After swallowing, there is a coat that has a dark chocolate combination of sweet and bitter that lingers on for a long time. This is a very smooth medium bodied beer. Not too much carbonation; at least it isn't overbearing. There is a lot of coat left behind, which can sometimes be a problem if it is sticky or too sweet, but this really works well. Overall, this is a very drinkable beer. The high ABV is completely hidden, as is the sweetness put off but the amount of malt in this beer. This really is a great beer, and I'm very glad I could try it on cask. I've passed over the Storm King bottles for other stouts a number of times, but no longer. This is a great, readily available beer. It's worth reconsidering if you haven't had any in a while.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Pours a thin, but creamy off-white head. The beer is solid black. The aroma is slighly sweet and a little hoppy. Fantastic taste. Grainy and complex. The alcohol taste lingers a bit, but it's still very drinkable. A tiny bit is lost in the bottle (compared to tap) but it's still an amazing beer.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Twelve ounce brown bottle. Bottled on 1/28/03.

Pours viscous, solidly black with a dense dark tan head. Head lingers for quite a while before settling down.

Nose is filled with roast and citric pine loaded hops.

Dark chocolate, licorice, espresso, dark fruits - plum and raisin. Hoppy citrus bite cuts right through all those dense flavors. Just a bit of grapefuit in there, too. A slight perfume like character surfaced as it warmed.

Full bodied, with a long dry finish. Went great with creme brulee.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

A- black body with a quickly leaving small coffee colored head and nice lacing. cant ask for anything more from a stout.

S- huge scent of roasted malts, bitter chocolate, and mild coffee.

T- roasted malts, coffee, toffee, chocolate and others i cant finger up front with a hoppy finish. very complex and extremely well balanced. great

M- Thick and chewy while still being smooth

D- possibly my favorite beer, and its available all year by me!. I couldnt believe i havnt reviewed this one before on one of the many many times ive tried it. if you havnt tried this before, i strongly suggest picking it up. i could drink this all night and look forward to more tomorrow. highly recommended.

About two years on this bottle of Storm King. Bottles on date says Nov 14, 2005

12 ounce bottle, snifter glass

A - Brew has a vicious black color allowing no light whatsoever to pass through. About two fingers of tan head up top.

S - Big malty smell. Dark chocolate sticks out the most on the nose.

T - A very nice taste here. The hops that are very prevalent in young Storm King have faded, leaving the chocolate flvaor as the lead. The chocolate is followed by some residual sweetness. Finally, a bit of coffee like bitterness pokes around and lends itself to a nice aftertaste.

M - Nice feel here. Not as huge and full as some Imp Stouts but a good firm body.

D - I am loving this brew, and am probably drinking it too fast. This has really held up well. Tastes great and goes down way too easy for 9.1% ABV.

Notes: Two years may be the sweet spot for Storm King. I have a couple more of this vintage so I'll try to hold off on them.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

12-16-04 Bottling, poured into a tulip.
Pour is a dark black with a big tan head that slowly dissipates leaving a lot of lace. Looks yummy.
Aroma has some roasty notes in it, along with some citrus and some hops. I can pick up the alcohol, which doesn't surprise me at this ABV.
Taste, though, is amazing. Sweeter than I expected up front with some raisiny and orange-rind notes, but it gradually gives way to a very nicely nuanced roasted-malt flavor with a roasted/coffee finish. Hoppier than most huge stouts, but I think this balances the big roasty flavors extremely well.
Medium/creamy mouthfeel with just the right amount of carbonation dancing on your tongue. Much lighter than the designation and the ABV would make you expect, giving it a nice drinkability and smoothness.

Overall: Wow. That's what all the fuss is about, I guess. By far the best stout I've tasted in the last couple of years; I feel it takes all of the best qualities of stouts with none of the common drawbacks. If you want a big, balanced stout, look no further.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

Wow. This beer pours out a burnt motor oil black. I had to hold it up to light and tilt it so that I was looking through a very thin layer of it before I could see any brown. The head was thin but long-lasting, colored a nice tan. The smell was of coffee and dark chocolates. A very roasted smell. The taste was slightly sweet with a nice balance of hops, bitterness, and roasted malts. A very well balanced beer that warms up nicely (and warms me up nicely).

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

A - A dark, mahogany brown. A little tan head, not much.

S - I smell the hops and malts. Not overwhelming.

T - Awesome! Alcohol is fairly strong, but not as much as you would expect from a 9.1% abv. I taste the malts at first and then the hop kicks in at the end. A little bitter but not too bad.

M - High carbonation. Fairly thick.

D - Excellent. I will buy this again.

4.68/5  rDev +14.1%

I had this out of a 12 oz bottle that was dated Jan. 20 2004. Served the Storm King Stout in a pint glass.

The appearance is a very, very dark jet black. There is really cool cascading going on after the pour and sip on the side of the glass. Instantly there were smells of chocolate and mocha aromas.This brew smells sweet and plentiful.

The taste of this stout is delicious. Beautiful blend of hops and malt. Robust dark chocolate flavors burst through with complimentary sweetness. This imperial stout (9.1% ABV) is so smooth and drinkable. I can't believe how fast I drank this beer. Stouts of this power usually take a little bit of time to consume, but this was very enjoyable.

Highly recommended for fans of imperial stouts....this beer has all the bases covered.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've been trying a lot of Victory brews lately, the latest being the Storm King Stout.

I poured this into a glass from a bottle. It poured with minimal head, and appears jet black, with a slight transparency if held up to a light, hinting that it is not as thick as most imperial stouts.

Smells of piney hops, coffee, chocolate, and malt.

The initial taste is coffee and chocolate, but over time, with the bitterness from piney hops following. While definitely a hop heavy imperial stout, it's very well balanced and there's nothing offensive here.

It goes down extremely smooth for any beer and especially for an imperial stout, and is not nearly as thick as most imperial stouts are either. I was expecting something much thicker from an imperial stout, and I will say it was quite a pleasant surprise.

Overall, this is a great, unique imperial stout I will definitely buy again. It's not too far from a black ale because its extra hops and not as thick as most imperial stouts, but still definitely an imperial stout, and a very good one at that.

It's also very high in alcohol content. The official ABV is 9.1%, but it felt more like 11%, and the fact that it goes down so smooth doesn't help.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%

LOOKS Pure Blackness. A Dark Stormy night.
Has a chocolate mousse head that's in no hurry to fade.

AROMA Deep....nutty,smoky,fruit (raisin + prune) hop buds,roasty,toffee,coffee....a LOT happening.

TASTE A Robust Malt lead that then seems on the border of Darkest Chocolate and darkest coffee. The Hops are there and as the malt side fades,there's a rich resinous hop finish.

with Storm King,sweetness is only suggested. The Malt side is doing DARK THINGS, robust things,there's a flash of brown sugar or a stray raisin but the hops and the blackened malts step up to keep it serious. Like a Storm.
Not my first visit with this King,so I'm less surprised this time. The Hop side is big and zingy for a stout. As it warms the chocolate/malt side does gain and dominate. If you lean to the Hops/Dark IPA side,do it colder. It's then a different beer...also exceptional. As it warms up the malt side,a few sweet touches show. The Malts and Hops tend to merge into a flavor like those fancy high cocoa % chocolates...and then theres a lingering hop finish All good.

Mouth...this is 2 beers in one. I like to start it cold and not hurry. THAT is the magic of this one. It starts of as a cold and intense DIPA and a few minutes later is a different brew as the malt side tilts the balance and eventually comes to dominate.

plenty of body here. Big finish of deluxe hops with the bitter dark roasty malts adding to that. Quite the Hop Wallop but also a Black Hole of big Maltiness.

Drinkable? To a point...obviously I like it but Storm King is as "over the top" as a Stout can get without messing up. In it's rather nice price bracket,Old Rasputin and Northwind execute the classic,textbook Imp stout VERY nicely. Storm King does not,it goes beyond into uncharted territory and that is good.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%

Appearance: Black as night. Moderate-sized dark tan head, below-average retention.

Smell: Malty, with plenty of citrusy hop notes and fruity aromas. I'm getting some black cherry, molasses, coffee, with a bit of alcohol.

Taste: Much smoother than I expected for a brew this strength. Thick and creamy with an initial sweetness of dark malts and a bit of cherry. The hops quickly dominate the taste, with plenty of citrus and floral notes. Carbonation is a little light. Although a hefty brew at 9%ABV, the alcohol is barely perceptible, just a bit of warmth. Finishes nicely, with a bitter, malty finish and aftertaste more like a normal stout.

Overall: Surprisingly drinkable for such a strong and flavorful stout. Just an amazing beer in all aspects.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I think this is an amazing beer. I can't give any technical explanation but it is heavy and I had it in Philly with a good friend I hadn't seen in a while after a Temple game. As I looked out the tavern window the Amtrak building looked surprisingly like the image on the front, lol. But seriously, proud that this beer is from PA, love the Victory beers. Also my friend gave me a case for my 50th birthday and it served me well for about 4 months. Among my top 5, I love Rogue Shakespeare Stout too.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottled on Sept-26-02. Pours blacker than a cloudy, moonless night for a sailor lost at sea in the middle of the Pacific. When held to the light only thin glints of deep brown are seen along the rims of the glass. The opaque body is topped by a solid and creamy head that is at first quite brown, but shortly thins and becomes more of a deep tan. Really interesting! The head holds quite well but eventually drops to a good collar and a thin surface covering (probably due in part to the high alcohol content). It does, however, leave an intersting "spider web" lace throughout the glass. The body is medium/full with a median level of carbonation that softens as it warms and leaves a very silky mouthfeel. The aroma is bold and fresh; full of rich, very deep bittersweet chocolate and roasted malts as well as some apple-like fruitiness and sharp grassy & floral hops. Quite hoppy when young! The freshness and high level of hop character are quite unique in the world of Imperial stouts (I'm guessing Goldings). The flavor starts with some light fruit and a rich chocolatey note, reveals some lightly acidic character (probably from the low pH of the deeply roasted malts) and then some more sweetly malty notes as it warms in the mouth, finally finishing dry with a firm bitterness and lingering espresso-like roastiness. Exceptionally well balanced between malty sweetness, acidity, deeply roasted character and bitterness... with some hop flavor thrown in to spice things up a bit! It's not too acidic or thin bodied (as many Imperial stouts can be) and the alcohol is very well cloaked. An exceptional beer that's well worth seeking out. Additionally, although the fresh character is really interesting and engaging, it ages very well and becomes quite another beer. I like to enjoy it both ways. If cellared, it will round within 6 months but really smooths at about a year. Beyond that it will probably not improve greatly, but should hold without defect for at least another 6 months, and probably well over another year! Buy a case and put away half to cellar!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a standard pint glass.

Dark Dark Dark black- when held to the light I could not see through to the other side, Pitch black ;) exactly how I like my stouts. Centimeter of creamy tan head- lots of carbonation- minimal lacing.

Smelled of roasted coffee beans and roasted nuts- some chocolate notes as well.

This is just how I like my stouts- lots of hops with the combination of coffee and dark chocolate. This is done perfectly. The ABV is well hidden in this although the warming is evident even with small sips.

This is just fabulous- will buy this over and over again. In fact, I'm thinking I want one right now- and its the summer!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Just bought a one year old case of this. All I can say is that time has been good to Storm King. When I first bought it last year it was too green. Too much alcohol on the palatte and the malts hadn't smoothed out enough. Time has been kind and this is now an exceptional beer. The blending of malt and hops are incredible, if anything the hop is more pronounced. Unfortunately this is quickly becoming a session beer. Victory consistantly puts out a quality product and their attention to detail is great.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%

Storm King Stout pours a beautiful opaque black. Sitting atop is a large rich brown head. A couple shades darker than mocha. The lacing is extremely sticky and the carbonation looks well done. The smell is really a barrage of flavors. Ultra complex, to say the least. Huge dominate malt tones. Coffee, caramel, chocolate, and cream. Strong fruity esters including bananas and strawberries. Along with a large presence of piney hops in the background. The smell is crisp, clean, and complex. Highly dominate and worthy of a crown. Does this smell come in cologne?

Now for the first sip of this magical brew. Mmm, once again, high on the complexity scale. I am starting to understand all the hype on this one. Large coffee and chocolate presence upfront, with a permeating roastiness that lasts throughout. With a large bitter dark chocolate note following closely behind. Shows a bit of caramel sweetness at first, but fades to extremely bitter on the far end. A surge of hops hits about midway, providing some excellent bitterness to the mix. It blends with the dark chocolate bitterness perfectly and balances the malt well. Finishes crisp, and chocolaty, with a coffee espresso punch. The hops don't let go either, as they are strongly present in the finish as well.

Storm King is almost flawless, with it's amazing flavor depth and complexity. It's keen sense of the style and it's incredible hop profile. You really can't go wrong here. A world-class RIS. Highly recommended.

Bottled and sampled in 2003 -
It takes a fairly aggressive pour to create medium sized frothy tan head, but once it’s there, it’s not going anywhere soon. The lace is sticky, and holds on to the sides of the glass all the way until the end. The color is pitch black and cannot be seen through at all. However, lots of tiny white floaties can be seen through out the brew, slowly making their way to the bottom of the glass. The aroma is not very strong, but roasted malts with hints of coffee and a slight fruitiness is apparent. The mouthfeel is wonderfully smooth, creamy, and full. There’s a moderate carbonation that gives a slight fluffy mouthfeel. The flavor profile is bliss - sweet rich molasses, chocolate notes, and maybe a touch of currant fruitiness. The finish is lots of hops and coffee flavored bitterness. The bitterness along with lots of roasted notes linger unabated until the next sip. I doubt anything can be said about this brew that hasn’t already been said. Wonderfully balanced – the bitterness is never overdone, and the sweetness is never cloying. It’s simply an amazingly wonderful imperial stout that cannot be any more drinkable. One six pack was most certainly not enough!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found this in the beer store by my parents' house in Maryland. I like Victory so I had to snatch it up.

I'd say the most pleasant aspect of this beer is its big hop character. In most cases it seems that your Double/Imperial Stouts feature huge malt and alcohol that totally dwarf their hop profiles. Well Victory found a way to showcase all three without the beer falling out of balance. As a hop lover, I was most pleasantly surprised by this. Furthermore, I found Storm King to be much more drinkable than many of its peers. Lots of beers in this style have so much (dark) malt that they coat your palate and are hard to enjoy more than one or two at a time. I won't say that Storm King had a thin mouthfeel by any means, but for a Double Stout, it comes darn close to being downright refreshing.

BA indicates this is a top 5 beer. I'm not quite sure where it fits in the global echelon but this is a very very very excellent beer and to date probably the best Big Stout I've had.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Enjoy by: 26 MAR 2020

L: Dark. Almost pitch black if it weren't for a slight red hue. Can't see through this beer at all. Poured around a 1 finger coffee and cream head which quickly dissipated.

S: Rich dark malt profile. Coffee, a little chocolate, and some toffee. This smells divine.

T: Dark roasted malts. Strong coffee flavor gives way to some malty sweetness and ends with some hoppy bitterness.

F: Smooth to drink. A little lighter on the mouth feel than I was expecting. Prepared myself for it to be a little more chewy. Coffee and bitterness linger around after a moderately dry finish. Very little to no alcohol burn for an Imperial Stout clocking in at 9.1% ABV.

O: I enjoyed this beer very much. I will be purchasing more to share, cellar, and enjoy immediately. If you like stouts, be sure to try this one out.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12ozer, purchased at Main St. Liquors, Monson, MA, as part of do-it-yourself mixed 6 pack. Foiled cap.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, foamy half inch medium brown head formed on top of motor-oil opaque liquid, no light getting through this baby. Good lacing, with the beer almost thick enough looking that it seems to flow like oil as well. Great aroma, plenty of hops, yet the underlying malt strength and alcohol make their presence known. Strong coffee and burnt malt tastes, which quickly are well balanced by a hop bite like most stouts are missing. Taste of alcohol isn't present nearly as much as you would expect for a beer this size, just sort of lurks in at the end. Actually as good as I had heard it was, no false rumors here...

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally got a six pack of this beer on a trip to NJ. I've broken the Best of BA top-ten list!!

(Edit: There was a bottled on date of 10-13-05 on the label. It's now May, so the beer is a bit on the old side. I don't know how it was stored, probably on the shelf in the store the whole time, so I don't know if this had any effect on the taste. If it did, then a fresh one of these would really be awesome!!)

I had to drink it in the hotel room, so didn't have a nice glass, just the standard lowball glass that came with the room. Even so...

Poured a very rich, dark mahogany with a 3/8 inch creamy head.

Smelled of mollasses, caramel, malt. Very little hop aroma.

Taste was exceptional. Just the right amount of sweetness, molasses, maltiness and balanced by a great bitter finish that left the palate nicelly cleansed. I definitely agree that this is a top ten beer. The alcohol was extremely well hidden.

Mouthfeel was not overly thick. There was enough carbonation to keep it refreshing. But enough body to let you know that you've had a great beer.

This beer is scary drinkable. I could easily down a couple of these in a row, but the ABV would probably knock me over if I did.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown