Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,914 |  Reviews: 2,643

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

12oz bottle poured into a Duvel tulip glass.

A: Pours a jet black color with a light brown foamy head. Minimal lacing that dissipates rather quickly.

S: Roasted dark coffee with hints of chocolate.

T: I tasted a decent amount of hops in this one. It has a pretty bitter aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied. Alcohol is well hidden.

O: The hoppiest RIS I have tried so far. A pleasant change from the normal RIS's.

2.75/5  rDev -32.9%

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

4.52/5  rDev +10.2%

First review here...sort of a preface to my forthcoming Dark Intrigue review. I am olfactararilly challenged, so the nose of beer is lost on me, as noted in my profile.

Poured rather violently from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass, which happens to be my weapon of choice, in most cases. This pours a midnight black, with a two-tiered head of mocha and khaki. Fairly rapid dissipation with minimal, yet stubborn lacing.

I'd be lying if I gave you any sort of impression of the nose. As you will come to understand, I can't really smell a damn thing.

The flavor is all dark chocolate, black coffee, and piney hops. Perhaps a hint of dark fruit as well, and some licorice as it warms. In many ways both typical and atypical of the style. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Bitter, yet not overwhelmingly so. Many would rule this a bit hop forward, but the balance works for me.

Overall, honestly, this is my go-to imperial stout. I probably actually like the North Coast Old Rasputin a wee bit more, but SK is cheaper, and it appeals to my inner hophead.

3.5/5  rDev -14.6%