Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

3.8

Ratings: 5,955 |  Reviews: 2,657
3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

3.75/5  rDev -7.4%

4.52/5  rDev +11.6%

First review here...sort of a preface to my forthcoming Dark Intrigue review. I am olfactararilly challenged, so the nose of beer is lost on me, as noted in my profile.

Poured rather violently from a 12oz bottle into a Dogfish Head signature glass, which happens to be my weapon of choice, in most cases. This pours a midnight black, with a two-tiered head of mocha and khaki. Fairly rapid dissipation with minimal, yet stubborn lacing.

I'd be lying if I gave you any sort of impression of the nose. As you will come to understand, I can't really smell a damn thing.

The flavor is all dark chocolate, black coffee, and piney hops. Perhaps a hint of dark fruit as well, and some licorice as it warms. In many ways both typical and atypical of the style. Sweet, but not cloyingly so. Bitter, yet not overwhelmingly so. Many would rule this a bit hop forward, but the balance works for me.

Overall, honestly, this is my go-to imperial stout. I probably actually like the North Coast Old Rasputin a wee bit more, but SK is cheaper, and it appeals to my inner hophead.

3.5/5  rDev -13.6%

4.25/5  rDev +4.9%

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

First time trying this. Pours avg darkness, generous mocha head that fades relatively fast. Strong malt presence, mint chocolate, olive oil in the aroma, with some hoppiness. Taste hardly matches, coffee, chocolate and dark fruits primarily blueberry up front and a bitter and burnt finish. No alcohol to be noticed. Drinkable and good.

2.5/5  rDev -38.3%

3.78/5  rDev -6.7%

From 12oz bottle to Bruges hybrid glass on 11/22/11
*From notes

A: It certainly looks good. It's a rich, creamy brownish black. A standard pour yields a frothy 2.5 finger head. Really impressive lacing and retention.

S: Dark chocolate, roasted dark coffee, dank and a pretty wicked hop bill for an RIS.

T: Rich and toasty up front. The moment this hits the mid, the hops kick into gear and really take this to a place not many stouts go. It's like the richest damn Cascadian Dark you've ever had. The finish is quite bitter from the hops, yet charry from the dark chocolate malt.

M: A bit on the thin side. Call me picky, but I like my RIS's like used motor oil. This, sadly, isn't anywhere near said consistency.

O: Victory's done a nice job with their Storm King. It's certainly taken the road less traveled, and I like that. I'm excited to check out the BA version of this (Dark Intrigue), and though I don't foresee me reaching for this often, I quite enjoyed it.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown