Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:
3.8

Ratings: 5,924 |  Reviews: 2,646

Poured into DFH signature glass, best by 1/10/2016.

A: Pours a deep dark brown color with a nice frothy dark tan head that slowly dissipates and leaves some nice lacing down the side of the glass.

S: Smells of roasted malts (a bit of a coffee scent to it), slight hints of chocolate and some hoppy characteristics. I also some a tiny bit of citrus trying to poke out through the hops.

T: The up front taste has some roasted/coffee characteristics that linger in the palate for a while. There is a bit of a smokey flavor from the roasted malts. Following the smokey flavor is the slightest bit of hops, not as much as expected but subtle and nice.

M: Full bodied with nice carbonation, roasted feel with a bit of bitters (subtle, but still noticeable as mentioned above).

D: I've got to say, I was expecting more out of this stout. It has serious roasted flavor, but I didn't notice the citrus and hop presence that so many reviews point out. There was a bit, but they were very subtle. I'd like to see what some age will do to this beer. It's good don't get me wrong, but doesn't blow me away.

3.43/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

This was pretty nice, poured into a small glass coffee mug with a black body and a big brown head. Smells of strong roasted flavors, it has a good hop bite to the flavor. I was a little disappointed with the mouthfeel because I found it a bit too carbonated. Too prickly for an RIS in my tastes. All in all, a good beer, gets nicer as it warms and as you drink on, but I found it with a high acidity as well.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle served in a pint glass

A- The stout pours as black as night and looks thick and full bodied. The creamy medium yellow head foams to about an full inch thick which retains for a while. Not much lacing as the beer progresses. Nice looking.

S- In the nose you get very full and strong elements of roasted hops,coffee(more of an espesso),chocolate, barley and even some cherries. There is a very inviting alcohol scent throughout that makes you realize, this is 9.1 percent.

T- The first sip is a very nice burst of taste. You get the coffee espresso, chocolate and roasted malt and hops that you got in the nose. A bit of a deviation from a traditional stout due to the amount of hops, but I like it. From start to finish it is very smooth with nicely balanced hop bitterness that lingers until the next sip, which for me wasn't too long.

M- Very nice creamy, full bodied mouthfeel. You know your drinking a serious beer here.

D- For the fact that this is an Imperial Stout, it is remarkably drinkable. This nice offering from Victory could get you in trouble due to the fact that you know what a wallop it packs starting off the bat, but after a couple of sips you forget, it's so smooth. Look forward to my next one already.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Received in a trade from dogfishandi. Thanks Man!

Very interesting take on the style and unique brew for the style. I was conflicted on how to rate this beer.

A - Standard black stout - good lacing and head retention was OK but was expected. Good.

S - I say good. Roast coffee, orange flavored chocolate and hops. Lite smoke. Smells a citrussy stout.

T - I've read other reviews saying this is too hoppy for a stout, too much citrus for a stout, Blah Blah Blah. I expected this to be similar to what Bigfoot is to barleywines...Hoppy. Deal with it. ANYwho...follows nose. Stout qualities are there with the roasty coffee, bitter chocolate...yes this beer is hoppy for a stout but what makes this beer interesting is the flavor of oranges from the hops that blend into all the other stout characteristics. I can see how some may find it offensive but I found it pleasant...different and not used to it in my stouts, but not offensive by any means. I've heard this compared to Black IPAs and I see the argument, but this is a Stout first and foremost. Just a bit more hoppy than most with some citrus notes added. Interesting. I want to give it a 4 but as staying true to the style, I just can't. Don't get me wrong though, I like this beer.

M - Good. Nice finish but I will say as it warms, it's more so as if hop resins are what's lingering on the finish but I like it. Again, interesting.

D - Very good. If this were a bomber I'd have NO problems with it. Easy drinking 9.1% Stout. A sipper *OR* one you could polish off quick if this beer is your bag.

Final Thoughts - As this beer warms it get's resinous like a DIPA. Again, very interesting. But the Stout Characteristics are at the forefront, but IPA-ish as well. I''d drink this again. I'll commend Victory here for brewing out of the box and not staying conventional to style. Well done. EXCELLENT extra.

4.22/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into pint glass.

A: Pours jet black with a good light brown head. Really good amount of head on this one with a good retention. Some carbonation evident on the bead but not a ton.

S: First smell is of heavy roasted almost coffee like aroma. Great malty notes in the nose and really strong profile.

T/M: Good medium body beer with huge roasted malt character. Wonderful flavors of almost oak but not quite. Really nice cocoa background flavor as well. The palate is very good here with good texture and smoothness.

D: This beer is incredibly drinkable and really easy. Love the strong profile and great character of this beer. Best of all, it is available all the time and for a really great price!

3.58/5  rDev -11.6%

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a black color with a 1 inch head, good lacing throughout. Smell is of hops, a touch of malts. Taste is very hoppy for a stout, the roasted malts kicking in towards the finish, some notes of coffee are present. Feels full bodied in the mouth and has average drinkability. Overall this is a pretty good beer.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

Possibly my favorite stout yet.

A- Amazing. Pitch black with creamy tan head that fades slow into thick film, leaves creamy rings of lace.

S- Dark cocoa, roasted coffee, hints of licorice, and slight booze touch.

T- They hide the alcohol well but it touches the tounge in a nice way, licorice laces itself throughout this chocolate, caramel, and toffee heavy beer. Nice notes of roasted coffee in the back. Some earthy notes of hops. Very nicely balanced and complex flavor profile.

M- Creamy and thick

D- Very tasty, but heavy and thick with high alcohol makes it a definitel sipper. Slight booze burn, but exceptional beer. I drank it too fast and this is easy to do because it is delicious. BE CAREFUL!

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up this with a mixed six, poured into a New Belgium globe. Really looking forward to this one.

A - Pours a wonderful black color which is not letting any light through even when put up to direct light. A very nice fingers worth of tan creamy head forms at the top which makes the beer look ever so inviting. The lacing is great as well, making all sorts of patterns along the glass.

S - Aromas of dark roasted malts bombard the nose with some dark chocolate in there too. A nice floral hop scent in there as well makes for a wonderfully deep and inviting nose. This beer is just screaming drink me, so that is exactly what I'm going to do.

T - This is awesome. Very dark roasted malts with a wonderful coffee/espresso flavor is just superb. Bitter cocoa makes its presence felt as well. What really sets this beer over the top is the hop character. It balances out so well and finishes with a great bitter kick. Just phenomenal all around taste.

M - Full bodied with the perfect amount of carbonation. Nice and smooth, they nailed the feel of this beer.

D - Considering the abv and the style, I probably won't drink to many of these in one night. That being said, I will absolutely be picking this one up again. I'm kicking myself for not picking up a few of these. No matter, a great beer.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

Okay, this looks like a serious stout. Let's go.

Pours a rich black with a finger of foamy brown head that hangs around and sticks to the glass. So far, so good.

The nose is, of course, big on the roasted dark malt. But there's much more than that happening here. For one thing, it's estery. There's bitter cocoa, and the raw coffee smell that you would expect. But the hops are noticeable, too. Lots of straight-up bittering hops with a high AA is what I'm thinking. The malt is complex, a mix of different dark roast grains and maybe a bit of caramel malt too. There's an impression of muted dark fruit, fig and raisin, but it's blended in pretty well. Definitely one of the more complex RIS's I've seen.

First taste is just as potent as I expected. Lots of roasted coffee and bitter cocoa. This isn't sweet by anyone's description. Again, the complex malt shows itself with a whirlwind of flavors blending seamlessly in the body. The bittering hops fit in perfectly, balancing the bitterness from the malt. Obviously some very strong/fresh hops.

Full body, strong as all hell, and deliciously complex, this is a serious RIS. I love it, though it's definitely not for everyone. But if you love strong stouts, this is your ticket.

3.4/5  rDev -16%

12oz bottle
Served in snifter.

A - Very dark brown to black. Topped with two inches of mocha head.

S - Initially on the pour I got chocolate, molasses, and some prune. Then some floral hops creeps in.

T - Roasted malt and grapefruit. This is the hoppiest RIS that I have had.

M - It's thick like it should be.

D - This is too hoppy for my liking in this style.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Super dark, literally opaque once I poured it into the pint glass. Quite a lot of creamy, light brown head on top; about two fingers' worth. Retained some head the whole time I was drinking it.

I smell a little bit of chocolate and coffee lurking behind the maltiness. Smells sweet and perfumey, with a hint of bitter hops aroma.

I am a little surprised at the bitterness of this beer...probably one of the bitterest stouts I've ever had, but not in a bad way. There's especially quite a bitter aftertaste. Up front, I'm definitely getting a lot of a coffee flavor.

The mouthfeel was quite nice...thick, but not unpleasantly so. Almost chewy. Nice amount of carbonation that kept it from being unbearably heavy. Smooth.

Considering the high alcohol content (9.1%), this is pretty drinkable. I'd really like to age some of this and see how it affects the taste. Hopefully it would mellow it out a little and make the hop flavor a little less biting.

Overall, quite delicious and I will definitely have some again.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. Bottled April 8, 2009. Part of a side by side with Great Lakes Blackout Stout and Expedition Stout

Appearance: Storm King is a foreboding and black all the way through. A contained creamy brown head looks great out of the bottle and exhibits nice retention. Over the course of the glass, spots of lacing stick to the glass.

Smell: A very complex aroma. On my first try, I definitely could not nail down all the aromas. Anise, a bit of raisin, roasted and chocolate malt, espresso, cocoa, a bit of smoke, and a still-generous citrus hoppiness.

Taste: There is a strong sweetness to start, with molasses and dark chocolate working together with the heavily roasted malt. Some dark fruit steps in, I am getting mostly raisin, and then a blast of anise. The flavor builds up and releases some spicy notes and leads into citrus hops that mostly taste like orange rind. The finish is chocolate, espresso, and orange. Sweet and bitter.

A smooth espresso flavor builds up with each sip, leaving the smooth roast bitter flavor to linger as well.

Mouthfeel: Full bodied, with above average carbonation that actually gets creamier as it warms. Lightly sticky sweet, but not syrupy. They pretty much nail the mouthfeel, the stickiness is what takes away half a point.

Drinkability: The complexity is what really pushes this beer over the top. Even with some time on it, the hops are still present and still creating an interesting dynamic. Espresso to chocolate to orange zest makes for a pretty outstanding beer.

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%

12oz bottle (Best by 12/10/15) poured into a snifter

A: Pours black with almost a finger of frothy mocha head that slowly dissipates.

S: Roasted malts, chocolate, coffee, fairly strong hop character with some citrus.

T: This has to be the hoppiest stout I've had. While the roasted malts, chocolate, and coffee are all there, they seem to lack depth and just fade rather quickly to the hop bite. Hops are strong on the back end and are mostly floral and citrus, which seems to clash a bit with the roasted malt character. A little more sweetness and creaminess might help balance the hops. Tastes more like a Black espresso/choc bomb IPA than a RIS. After taste is almost leafy and grassy, maybe even a little mint... in a stout...

M: Medium carbonation, medium to thin body, just a little chewy, resin. Body seems to thin and there's just too much resin and hop bitterness and it kills the texture, it's nothing close to smooth. After taste has a bitter roasted leafy thing going on.

D: The taste isn't ideal and the 9% ABV certainly doesn't help the case. Don't think I'll be having anther one anytime soon.

This was a real shocker for me. When I first tried this a couple months ago I absolutely love it, but after having some great stouts, this just doesn't hold up against the rest. Way too hoppy.

2.98/5  rDev -26.4%

Pours a pitch black color that lets no light through whatsoever. There is a small tannish/off-white head that disappears quickly. Scent is chocolatey and VERY hoppy. I have never had a stout smell this hoppy before. I also get aromas of citrus and roasted coffee. Taste is...WOW...This has to be the most citrusy/hoppy stout I've ever had in my life! I've heard of hoppy stouts before, but this one is overwhelmingly hoppy. I definitely get more orange, grapefruit, and bitterness than I get chocolate or coffee. I don't know if it is because this bottle is super fresh or what, but it's just not what I'm used to or what I enjoy in a typical RIS. Maybe hoppy/citrusy stouts take some getting used to. It's a real bummer, because I've heard such great things about this stout. Mouthfeel is full bodied and not overly thick or viscous. Drinkability would be a lot higher if it weren't for the off-putting citrus and hoppiness in what I was expecting to be rich with chocolate and coffee flavors. Gonna put one of these aside to age and hope the hoppiness dies off.

3.66/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From a 12oz bottle into a New Belgium globe snifter

A - Big Mocha colored head that stuck around for a while. Beer was a pitch black color - no light through even when held up to the light. Left a bit of lacing and a small floating head the entire time.

S - Chocolate, malts, and bitterness.

T - Chocolate, malts, light smokiness, light bitterness with a sweet edgy finish. Have had this a couple times and sometimes get a light metallic taste to it that's not too pleasant.

M - Medium heaviness, medium mouth coating, light carbonation - not the heaviest stout, but not the lightest - right in the middle, could drink a few and not have too much residual mouthfeel...

D - Could drink one or two minus the sometimes present metallic taste that comes through - maybe an off bottle here or there or something else coming through due to variable. All in all, a nice stout for the price - SoCal this cost $11.99-$12.99 on average for a 4-pack. When it's spot on I'd take it for the price, though I can skip the metallic off put that I've tasted at times.

4.07/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz bottle with an Enjoy by Date of April 1 2015. Pours a viscous black color with a tiny layer of head. Some lacing. Aromas of dark chocolate, raisins, roasted malts, and hint of mocha. Taste is mostly dark chocolate along with some mocha flavor. Fair amount of roasted malt flavor. ABV is hidden nicely. Only a very minimal alcohol burn. Overall its a really good Russian Imperial Stout. Good amount of flavor and nicely balanced.

2.26/5  rDev -44.2%

A- Pours a black-olive color with a ruby edge. A dark tan head fades to a persistent ring.

S- Smells of old tennis shoe, wet cardboard, and grapefruit/piney hops. Unfortunately missing is every typical aromatic attribute inherent to the style, and present are the undesired characteristics.

T- Dark over-roasted coffee, charred malt and harsh hops. The finish is bitter without a counterbalance of any kind. The char and bitter hops are all we have here, and that is not what comprises an enjoyable stout, in my opinion.

M, D- Medium bodied and bitter, too dry. Uninspired to finish it, I found it thus limited in drinkability. Lacking in balance, finess, and pleasure.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

Got a sixer for $11.69 at the Co-Op grocery in Lebanon NH. Best by date stamped on the label is barely legible, but I think it's Oct 22 2010. C'mon Victory, dates are useless if they aren't readable. At any rate, I can't see this stuff going bad too quickly. Rather, I'd think it would be a good candidate for aging. Served mostly cold in a chilled pint glass.

I've had this brew many times but not for quite a while. It is nice to revisit an old favorite. Surprised to see that I hadn't reviewed it. To the best of my knowledge this is the only 6-pack RIS available in these parts.

A: Thick pitch black brew lets no light through, not even when held to a light. 1" of thick mocha-colored foam takes a minute or two to settle to a thick stable cap. Spotty lace is left on the glass.

S: Thick chewy malt body with a bunch of dark roasted grain, some smoke and astringency. Has a moderate sweetness like dark stone fruits, cherry and plum. Warm cocoa and floral hops.

T/M: Thick rich body. Lots of burnt malt mixing with earthy and herb hop cuts cleanly through the thickness. Sweetness of dark candied cherries and cocoa powder. Finishes dry and balanced with nearly the whole palate lingering for quite a while. A tiny bit of alcohol heat resides at the back of the mouth and in the finish, becoming more prominent as the brew warms.

D: This is a big brew but it is very balanced and goes down dangerously easy. Awesome RIS.

4.15/5  rDev +2.5%

On cask, via hand pump, @ the Victory Brewing Company (Downingtown, PA) on 1/15/11. Served in a pint glass.

Pours a straight black in the glass, with a finger of tight foamy mocha colored head. This retains with about a ¼ finger of creamy froth, which holds tight across the top and drenches the sides of the glass with a solid sheet of lacing the whole way down. The aroma smells burnt with a roasted coffee nose on it, along with some green citrus character. There are sweet notes of chocolate and caramel present, which feels like they want to sit in the nostrils with some stickiness but the overall sharpness of the roast and hops keeps thing crisp and tight in the nose.

The taste is roasted and bitter across the tongue with a forceful mix of coffee and citric hop flavors. A balancing mix of chocolate and caramel malts help balance this out across the back but the cask really brings the aggressiveness of this out, as this finishes burnt and roasty with some lingering green bitterness. The mouthfeel is fuller bodied, with the cask lending this some lightness that is equal parts crisp and creamy in the mouth. The alcohol his mostly well hid here, with no hot flavors per se, but it does contribute to the overall intensity of the flavors and feel.

Wow, the cask conditioning really opens this sucker up, so that you get the full Storm King experience. Whether your ready for it or not! The roasted malts and hops are just in full effect here, to the point that they get to be a bit much towards the bottom of the glass. Yeah, this ones a bit of a rager but still damn tasty if you like aggressive beers and that cask body does help smooth things out a bit. I'm glad this one is always on the cask at the brewery, because sometimes you just need a beer like this.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

pours a blackhole black pour with a nice big tan head. smells strongly of roasted malts and some dark cocoa, little bit of dark fruits too. taste is dominated by really nice roasty malts and a hint of cocoa, really nice creamy mouthfeel and a nice dry finish. was expecting a lot of sweetness but was pleasantly surprised. also didnt realize it was +9% until I finished and read the bottle, quite hidden.

3.89/5  rDev -4%

Enjoy by date of Oct16, '13. Poured into 10oz glass. Poured a solid black, even when I held my LED flashlight up behind it, with about an inch of thick, sturdy light brown head that had great retention and moderate lacing.

The aroma was fairly typical, rich roasted malts, some grains and a trace of hops. There was a bit of an alcohol scent. The flavor was about what you'd expect, bold rich roasted malts, that trace of hops, a bit of grain and a slight coffee finish. The alcohol was apparent, but not overpowering.

The body was solid and full, yet somehow not as full as I expected. Drinkability was good for a beer this big, but I probably wouldn't have more than one at a time.

Overall, a very good example of the style. It's been a while since I've had one of these, it won't be as long until I grab another one

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a jet black with a one finger head that has great retention.

Aromas of dark caramel malts, chocolate, roasted barley, and floral hops. Smells delicious.

Taste is heavy on roasted barley and floral hops. Not quite the balanced complexity foretold by the aroma, but very good nonetheless.

Mouthfeel is not as thick as some stouts, which is the biggest thing missing from this one.

Overall a very good beer at a very good price.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

188th review on BA
bottle to pint

App- Such a great pour for a stout. Very creamy dark brown. Very close to black. Nice thick 2 finger head as well. Slowly dissapates from bottom to top.

Smell- Big smells of malt with a nice underlying hop. Some slight coffee as well.

Taste- The bottle states this is has a hint of espresso. I couldn't agree more. A bitter malty burnt coffee flavor. Very well done. The roast notes linger quite a long time.

Mouth- A bigger medium body with a nice medium carb level. Has a nice aftertaste as well.

Drink- A very good stout. Much more of what I think a stout is supposed to be. Big, rich and filling.

3.95/5  rDev -2.5%

A-Pours charcoal black with dark chocolate highlights and a one and a half inch head. Leaves lots of thick, sticky lacing. Strong retention.

S-Sweet malts, piney hops, a touch of milk chocolate.

T/M-Roasty, but not as intense as I expected. Medium to full bodied. The hops really kick in mid-palate, overwhelming the roasty dark malts and finishing with a blend of bittering hops and phenolic booziness.

D-One of the better Victory beers. Wonder how it would taste with a few years on it

3.14/5  rDev -22.5%

Bottle into a C&B Bruges snifter.

A - Pours pitch black with a frothy light mocha one finger head that leaves some fine lacing on the side of the glass as it dissipates.

S - I do get some dark chocolate, coffee/ espresso and dark roasted malts. Some earthiness, which is likely a hop presence, along with what smells like some soapiness. I do detect an alcohol aroma as well. Before i even taste it, it does smell well balanced.

T - This is one floral Imperial Stout. The first thing i'm getting is the floral hops, followed by dark malts, coffee, chocolate. Fairly similar to the nose. A little bit of booze creeps in once it begins to warm up a bit. A very nice stout.

M - This is one thin stout. Great carbonation but the mouth feel is very thin. Nice smooth finish.

D - I think that the mouth feel and thinness makes this beer quite drinkable. Although its fairly strong, the floral hops make it drier than most beers in this style which i appreciate. Very nice for a mass produced stout.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown