Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

3.8

Ratings: 5,946 |  Reviews: 2,656
4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Storm King pours a deep brownish black, or is it a deep blackish brown? Utterly opaque with only the slightest glimmer of amber brown around the edges when back lit. A huge creamy dark brown head builds and quickly becomes rocky and takes several minutes to fall leaving heavy torn curtains of lacing behind.

The aroma is of deep roasted malts, sweetish dark chocolate with a bright grassy hop scent behind it all.

The flavor has tons of hops but the dark roasted malts are front and center. Bitter dark chocolate reigns here, slightly sweet with fudge and hints of coffee and toffee. There is a bitterness in the mid-taste that lingers into the finish. Warming brings the flavors together nicely and hides the alcohol.

The mouthfeel is full and very chewy, somewhat creamy and medium in carbonation.

Storm King is very drinkable, this bottle is fresh but it is not as raw and hot as some beers of this caliber can be. Still I believe this will be a prime candidate for aging!

4.47/5  rDev +10.4%

Silky smooth espresso stout which went down surprisingly quickly.

It's very, very dark, with a pleasant dark creamy head and a surprisingly hoppy and coffee-like nose. The taste was not as sweet or acidic as other stouts I've had--flowery hops, tobacco, coffee, coffee, dark delicious chocolate, all bold flavors but blended together into near-perfection. I love Victory.

3.07/5  rDev -24.2%

A – Quite black, but somewhat boring looking. Clearly not very viscous or oily

S – As with all Victory brews, this has a definite Bavarian quality to it. Aromas of roast, toast and sweaty-wet straw smells.

T – It tastes very hoppy and bitter; not so much like an Imperial Stout. None of the usual suspects for flavor... Basically it tastes like a dark IPA. It has a long bitter hoppy finish. There is perhaps a coffee aftertaste, but it’s more like having coffee breath.

M – Quite thin; too thin for the style, no doubt. The dry finish verges on acrid.

D – It is actually fairly tasty, albeit a real mixed bag. However, it is not a good representative of the style, in my opinion.

4.5/5  rDev +11.1%

A_ Pours black with dark brown around edges. Thick two finger light brown head that lasts.

S_Dark chocolate malts and hops. Really hoppy for an impy stout. Bitter coffee notes as well.

T_Same as smell. The hops are a nice touch.

M_Full bodied and well carbonated.

D_ Easy to drink. Dont even notice the 9%ABV.

3.93/5  rDev -3%

A: Thick tightly bound head, intense black with only the slightest hint of light along the edge of the beer, some sticky streaks of lace down the sides of the glass - 4.25, S: Espresso aromas, slight sour cherry, burnt wood, hint of grass - 3.75, T: Solid hop bite, thick and chewy, scorched Tootsie Roll, dark molasses, pine and grapefruit pith, green grass - 4.00, M: Thick and creamy, chewy mouth feel - 4.50, D: A very drinkable Russian Imperial Stout - 3.75

3.94/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Had been raining like mad in Boston so when I stopped at the store yesterday, this beer spoke to me.

Poured from a bottle with freshness date of 2015 (!) into pint glass. Deep black with dark brown foamy head with good lacing. Very nice appearance.

Honestly not picking a lot up on the smell.

Hits up front with a bit of warming alcohol then smooths out into nice combination of coffee, chocolate, hint of fruit (? cherries). Excellent taste.

Creamy, warm mouth feel. Nice on a rainy dreary day.

Overall alcohol was well hidden but definitely feeling this one after one beer. Two at most at a sitting.

Overall, an interesting and very good stout.

4.33/5  rDev +6.9%

Storm King Stout, into Stone RIS tulip

Pours extremely dark with a giant, fluffy, medium beige head of mostly tiny-creamy bubbles. The head is so big it took two pours to get it all in the glass. Nice sticky lace down the glass. Some medium brown highlights around the edges.

Aroma is mega-roasted malt and coffee, grapefruit/citric hop, and high percentage cocoa dark chocolate bar.

Taste follows aroma almost entirely. Big roasted malt hit, some heavy roasted coffee, citrus and oily hop bitterness on the finish. A little raw grain/hay thing going on as well, somewhere around the middle.

Mouthfeel is actually on the thin side for the style, especially at 9% or so. The carbonation is what makes the mouthfeel feel thin, it is pretty forceful and breaks up the density of the brew.

Drinkability is moderate, in my opinion. I'm not huge on highly carbonated stouts, but other than the carbonation the flavors have a great balance and the grapefruit/chocolate/coffee combo is surprisingly tasty. The mouthfeel does improve a bit as it warms/rests over the course, and becomes a bit less course and good deal more on the creamy side. I was a bit concerned that I wouldn't like this beer, but it's a very nice change from the IRS that I am accustomed to drinking

3.85/5  rDev -4.9%

Nice stout, offers a good and slightly fruity standard for an RIS

Presentation: 12 oz capped brown bottle. Crowned eagle head label design. Narrative on the side notes intent, and main ingredients. Shows beer freshness date (Dec 18 2014) and Alc. by Vol (9.1%). Poured into a snifter.

A - Black pour, with an average 1/4" head, small retention and little lacing.

S - Rather faint, it is there... But alongside a subdued roastness there is a characteristic hoppy, fruity touch. Nice but a bit too shy.

T - Here the brew takes front stage with a nice range of roasted notes, and that lingering fruitiness. Chocolate, coffee and a floral bitter sour melody to it.

M - Full to medium/full mouth, with good carbonation. Crisp finish.

D - Nice RIS, not so much a sipper, it can be enjoyed a tad quicker and works well.

Notes: Another brew I was looking to revisit after it opened a few years back - and alongside others - my curiosity to US craft brewing. Remains good, and rather solid, but it is not one that I would necessarily look for given the average choice. Interesting feel of fruitiness that is very close to the flavors found on their Old Horizontal barleywine.

3.68/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured into my Chalice a dark black motor oil color, left no real head (slow pour), just a little dirty color ring around the glass, minimal lacing, it just slides back down into the brew.

Smells of expresso, and sweet fruits (citrus), chocolate

Tastes of expresso, cooking chocolate, and orange rind.

the mouthfeel seems very light to me, highly drinkable. nice and smooth brew, Not my favorite stout for sure, Im more of a Avery Russian Imperial Stout or Oak aged Yetti Imperial Stout from Great Divide, thats a tasty one. Still a great beer none the less.

Could drink a good amount of this brew.

3.79/5  rDev -6.4%

Pours totally black with a sticky brown head that leaves thick lacing in my glass.

It has a light aroma of roasted malt and molasses.

Its flavor is good: Sweet and roasted notes finish with a nice bitter bite. This is a more subtle Russian imperial stout.

The body is creamy and smooth.

Overall this is a fine beer and well worth seeking out and having again: I plan to buy a six-pack at the next opportunity.

3.77/5  rDev -6.9%

12 oz bottle into tulip Piraat tulip.

Poured an opaque black with generous rocky tan head.

Blasted with a whiff of dark chocolate when opening bottle and on first sniff. Fragrant fruit aroma arrives afterwards from the hops.

Flavor is intensely roasty. Notes of bitter chocolate predominate with coffee and dirt in the background. Fruit comes forward mid swallow with bitterness from malt and hops on the finish.

Fairly smooth for the weight, I would say the carbonation is about right. I think one bottle would do it for me.

3.81/5  rDev -5.9%

Appearance - Beautiful 2-3 finger, dark amber head with great retention -- You know it's a good sign when it takes 2 pours and this is still coming over the top. Mix of tiny to huge bubbles and a sweet lace. Pitch black.

Smell - Sweet, caramel with spicy hop aroma coming through as well.

Taste - Licorice and burnt coffee mix together for a pretty powerful blast. The aftertaste stays around forever -- it's hoppy and alcoholic and is dry enough to pucker your mouth. I love the hoppy imperials, and this hop character overpowers all else in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel - Low carbonation and lighter than I expected. A little sticky.

Drinkability - Warms you up for sure. Drinking two in a row would be a stretch for me, but I'm not at all turned off by the aftertaste. Good for the style.

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

Split a 12 oz with my buddy Alex. Extra from a trade with StormKing47.

Very dark black with a light tan one finger head. Nice donut around

Smells like hops up front, citrus (mango/pineapple), some espresso and mocha too.

Mocha, smoke, ash, espresso. Mango and pineapple fruity hops. Interesting combination of flavors. A lot hoppier than expected. The ash flavor is a little overwhelming as the beer warms.

Pretty thick and full bodied. Nice low carbonation.

Nice drinkability.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

Apearance - Pours black with a 3 finger brown head that lasts almost as long as the beer and leaves some impressive lacing.

Nose- Dark chocolate, citrus hops and a touch of roastiness. Not too assertive.

Palate- Expresso, semisweet chocolate and a hint of licorice. Unfortunately, the hops get lost in the mix on this one.

Mouthfeel- Full bodied and creamy high carbonation.

Overall- A respectable stout.

4.62/5  rDev +14.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: almost pitch black all the way through with a thick amber head. leaves lacing for a while after being in the glass.

S: smells like roasted malts, a hint of burned honey and sugar as well from what I could tell.

T: burned and slightly bitter, this isn't for the weak hearted, if you expect it to be smooth and sparkling, don't get it. may be one of the more bitter beers I've had from a local brewery.

M: tingles in the mouth a bit and leaves a roasted/burned taste in my mouth

D: super good for being 9+ABV

Tried a bottle of it at a friend's house, then got a 6 pack for me, won't buy it again right away, but will definately keep on my faves list.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm glad to see so many reviews, and so many people liking Storm King. It's one of my favorites from one of my favorite bottling breweries.

There is something great about the warm tones that bubble up through the inky depths, the intensely clean wealth of flavors. While the hops are huge, they don't overwhelm the balance, and the burnt and roasted malt rises to meet the occasion. Let the IPA apostles learn from this one. Reminds me of a Tawny Port with the improbably alcoholic taste.

There is a fudgy flavor that emerges too. The mellowness of a Sugar Daddy with the bite of a bitter orange.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

This is great imperial stout. Real balanced and tasty and the high ABV is masked by stellar and solid flavors. Good toffee malts and a nice bitter aftertaste that doesn't kill your tastebuds. The mouthfeel is the best part of this brew and it excels in this area where a lot of imperial stouts are deficient. A good beer that I would buy again and another great brew from victory.

3.98/5  rDev -1.7%

On tap at World of Beer. Poured into a pint glass.

A- Pretty darn black. A inch of a creamy tan head. Serious retention and crazy lacing left on the glass.

S- Dark chocolate, dark fruits, sweetness maybe vanilla? A hint of coffee. A earthy pine smell...hmmm oh yeah, that's def hops.

T- Hops in a stout?? Yup, very much so! A little suprised. Not the typical flavor from a stout, but nevertheless, it's still pretty yummy. However, the malts aren't as prevelent as I would have liked. The alcohol leaves an impression for sure. It's a little hotter then I would expect from a 9 ABV. It's almost like ther's an unbalnced chemical balance.

M- It has almost a syrupy thickness to it. Decent level of carbonation that brings out the hops here.

D- It's just different. Still a good beer that I'll revisit. I don't know if I'd drink more then 2 of em in a row. I almost feel like I'm being to hard on this one. I really enjoyed it but it's just not what I expect when I think of a RIS!

4.9/5  rDev +21%

A: Holy bubbly head Batman! This thing is HUGE! Nothing I would ever expect to see from a RIS and I am a careful pourer. 5 fingers easily and a beautiful twilight black. Take me 20 pours to get into my pint glass. Frothy, chocolate mountain of a head.

S: Nice citrusy hard hitting hops. It really compares to their Hop Wallop. Bitter roasted chocolate malts in the background. I don't get the usual sweetness like in most RIS's and that is a good thing in a different way. Very much coffee like here.

T: Oh my! Very hoppy. Very bitter. I am another hop head that does not care for it in my RIS but this is really nice. The bitterness is like chewing on a coffee bean. Any chocolate sweetness is out in left field.

M: Creamy and frothy. That head still hasn't died down. Even the bottle took on a head. Probably the thickest RIS ever.

D: A lot of beers this style can be hard to drink sometimes due to overwhelming sweetness or off bitterness. This one is near perfection.

I avoided this one for awhile because review seemed a bit low. The reviews seemed to step up and caught my eye. I see now I have been missing out. Victory has a taken a bold step in a different direction with their RIS. In a sea of many this will stand out as breaking away from the style. Do we really need every RIS to taste like swiss chocolate and cafe mocha? Victory doesn't think so and hit has paid off big time.

1.86/5  rDev -54.1%

Short and dirty..did not like this. I love Impy stouts and this one disappointed. There was too much hops on the front and bitterness with no point. The malt was in its own right one dimensional. Coffee came through a little bit but was overwhelmingly beat back by bitterness and alcohol. Not pleasant and very hard to drink. Of all the Stouts I have had this was my least favorite. I tried to give it a chance, but after choking down four of these in an attempt to better appreciate it, I gave the final 2 away to a friend of mine who is a macro drinker because he will drink anything to catch a buzz. Not only will I not seek out again, I will advise against trying it.

2.95/5  rDev -27.2%

A solid beer. I'm not going into too much detail beyond that. I did find some more muddled and unrefined metallic notes that weren't desirable. The flavor definition was poor compared to others. The stout category simply has some really fine names in it, so this was towards the bottom of what I've tasted for imperial stouts. Makes me feel like I was too hard on the Ten Fidy. A while back I had the pils from victory which I really enjoyed, so this was a bit of a disappointment, for that and because the rating is high (A- very respectable to me). I'm just doing my part in smoothing the bell curve to bring it down to what I consider its rightful position in the B/B+ area.. yes 87% from me. Something about that A- caused me to expect more, a 92% perhaps, and therefore led to my disappointment. I hope this lends detail into the degree of it's exceptionalness, but it is solid beer and I wouldn't turn one down.

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

My first ever Russian Imperial...happy happy joy joy.

Pours nearly pitch black with a cappuccino colored head that vanishes nearly instantly. After a quick whiff, smells very caramelly, and also of coffee. Absolutely beautiful scent. After the first taste, very strong...you get used to it after awhile, and can enjoy the tastes of very dark chocolate, caramel, and coffee. Very light in the mouth, doesn't feel heavy at all. It has a pretty high ABV however, so you won't be able to put back more than a couple in a night. Its a very nice sipper to have beside you in the winter.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours opaque black with a cappuccino head that you could stand a match in, and which leaves chunks of lace and sheets of foam. Nose intrigues: orange oil hops but also roast espresso and leather, with Marmite notes. Sticky burnt caramel malts with coffee grounds and raisin, salty in the middle, then a burst of orange zest and ginger juice at the end. Full, sticky, chewy, some burn.

Monster RIS. Sips smooth, but too hot to truly love. Would like to see it aged so it cools off and some fruit comes out.

on-tap
(3.5; 3.50 4.00 3.50 3.50 3.00)
06/03/2009
On tap at the Sharp Edge, Pittsburgh.
Poured garnet, arrived with no head. Bitter dark chocolate nose. Taste is heavy licorice with some dark fruit and medicinal herb. Bitter end is a bit harsh. Oily feel. Not hot, but the alcohol is there.
Problem here is, personally, I don't like licorice. Curious to give this another chance in a bottle, too. Some interesting flavors but they're all too sharp, it kills the drinkability.

3.92/5  rDev -3.2%

Got this as an extra in a recent trade...

A: Pitch black with a small mocha colored head that quickly fades.

S: Chocolate and maltiness upfront. Smells fantastic. Nice oakiness balance mixed into the middle.

T: Wow, this one's a hop monster. The hops are so intense that they hide all of the other flavors. Mixed in the back I can taste malts, oak, and very faint chocolate. Would be better if the flavors balanced better.

M: Thick and very syrupy. Medium - high carbonation. Not bad.

D: Would go down easier if the flavors were better balanced. Good, but not great.

All in all, if you love hops and want a hoppy stout, this is your holy grail. Flavors aren't as balanced as I would've liked because the hops are so upfront. Good brew to try and decide for yourself.

4.05/5  rDev 0%

100th review. Hadn't reviewed in a while but got inspired.
Thanks to tweidman420 for the generosity.
Bottle stamped: Enjoy by 1/23/14
Poured into my Delirium tremens tulip.

A: Pours pitch black. Absolutely no light penetrates. Anywhere. In fact, this beer allowed my glass to reflect everything as clearly as a mirror. Beautiful, thick, dense foam with bubbles so tiny you can barely even notice them. Almost like yeast cake. There is considerable, sticky lacing all over the glass except in the area where the top layer of foam is desperately clinging for dear life to the top of the glass. That area is simply caked with lacing. It just will not let go! Magnificent.

S: Wow, this is the part that really inspired me to write this review. I noticed it before I even poured. Beautiful mix of fresh piney hops, roasted malt, caramel, sweet mint, and hints of fruit, spices, chocolate, and coffee. Not exactly what I expect from a stout, but beautiful nonetheless.

T: Taste is a minor letdown, but it does come through rather nice in the finish. Up front I get a lot of that hops, sweet mint, and fruitiness, with a big bold roasted finish. I'm also finding just ever so slight a hint of coffee. Actually reminds me a little bit of Nogne #100, but a little more subtle.

M: Pretty nice given the amount of hops I'm noticing. A little bitterness up front, but really settles down almost immediately. After that, it's smooth sailing with the carbonation hitting just a touch more than necessary. Relatively dry, but not overly so. Finishes almost like an IPA/DIPA. Wouldn't mind a little less bitterness.

D: This is a tough call. I'm enjoying this beer, but I'd be hard pressed to give it high marks here. While the abv is hardly noticeable on the palate, the hops definitely are, and with each sip it becomes more noticeable. And simply put, while this is a good beer, it's not what I look for in a stout. I could probably drink another one if I had one, but no more than that.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown