Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,910 |  Reviews: 2,640
4.23/5  rDev +3.2%

12 oz. bottle/ Best by Oct. 16 2013

P: The deep leathery brown liquid exits the bottle to form a jet black pool of delicious looking beer in my glass. The 2 fingered head that sits atop looks exactly the same color as wet sand. It's thick and creamy with good retention, settling to a thin sheet while leaving strings of lace behind. Good looking Stout!

A: Deep roasted barley, chocolate, coffee, molasses, and citric hops underneath. There is some alcohol present as well.

T: First of all, this needs to be imbibed at as close to room temperature as possible! Drinking this too cold is doing it a major disservice. The deeply roasted barley is sweet, but has a burnt bitterness to it as well. Chocolate, molasses, and charred wood are all present, but the hops are what makes this stand out for me. It kind of reminds me of Big Bear Black Stout in that sense. Being a certified hophead, I can definitely appreciate their citrusy goodness. Sweet and bitter engage in an epic struggle, but the bitterness wins out in the end thanks to that huge hop bill, slightly burnt barley, and some black coffee that really comes out on the tail end for quite the dry finish. The alcohol is a bit hot, but isn't detrimental to the experience.

M: In my opinion, Storm King's mouthfeel is just perfect! It's a full-bodied, viscious beer with a thick & creamy, rich & oily-feeling texture that almost feels like an old-fashioned chocolate milkshake in my mouth. Having said that, it still manages to stay light on its feet, if that makes any sense whatsoever.

Notes: This is a great beer! From my understanding, the best before dates are 5 years after bottling. This would mean that this beer was bottled only 6 months ago. For such a young RIS, it feels really refined and delicious. With some time to hibernate in my cellar, it could be out of this world! Highly recommended

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%

A - Beautiful 2 finger brown frothy head and opaque black body. Painted a picture on the side of the snifter all the way down and lasted to some extent throughout.

S - Roasted/toasty malts and an almost berry sweet smell were present initially, definitely the reason I loved this beer the first time I tried it. Definitely chocolate, but of the darker variety. Distinct and interesting for sure.

T - Very moderately sweet from the malts balanced with a balanced bitter aftertaste, like baker's chocolate. Even a bit sour and a definitive alcohol is present, at least after it warms. Finish is present and average to somewhat long in length. Not overwhelming, with lots of potential for food pairing.

M - Light to medium body (not filling whatsoever for such a complex beer). Texture is dry, but not too dry, and somewhat watery and a bit of syrup stickiness left on the palate. Very softly carbonated and the alcohol is noticeable at higher temperatures.

D - Well, due to the ABV alone, not very. But, due to the light body, interesting flavors, and food pairing potential, very drinkable for an imperial stout.

4.46/5  rDev +8.8%

I'm so glad we can get this in Indiana now. I've had it once before and remember loving it.

A - Pours nice and think with a dark mocha head. A nice black beer and the head is hanging around a bit.

S - Typical RIS smells coming through. Good malty backbone, chocolate and coffee. A nice layer of hops coming through a bit.

T - Strong coffee bitterness first and foremost but underneath it is a bit of sweet caramel-like malt. Good hoppy finish to it.

M - Not as thick as I expected when I poured it but still nice.

D - The alcohol is well hidden with just a bit of warmth in the chest. I could easily take a couple of these out.

3.28/5  rDev -20%

Appearance: black, 1/2 inch head

Smell:burnt malt, coffee, faint chocolate--not overly strong a smell

Taste: dark coffee, chocolate, burnt malt, alcohol, and hops

Mouthfeel: very very dry, thick, bitter, smooth, medium heavy body

Drinkability: This one is super dry. With the high ABV I could only drink one. I can see how people would love this, but the taste on this one did not agree with me. I do not see this as being as complex as others I have tried. There are several other RIS that I will reach for first.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Dark, dark brown, basically black. Not as thick or viscous as some Imperial Stouts... is it weird that I'm slightly disappointed by that? Pours with a good amount of dark tan head, millet-y, composed of rather large bubbles. Settles to thick, creamy cap with a hearty ring and lots of sticky spider web lacing.

Tangy chocolatey bread nose. Grains. Light roasted notes. Hops.

Dark chocolate notes interact with cocoa nibs. Coffee comes in, subsiding only to be replaced by a nice, unique roasted hop flavor. In fact, there is a bevy of hops in this here stout. Leafy, and pretty bitter. Some alcohol drying at end. Everyone seems to mention the balance of malt and hops. This is not what I'm looking for in an RIS. I'm looking for malt heavy, and this beer is that. It is also doused with a good bit of hops, however.

When cold, the carbonation is quite crisp. Upon warming, this is a creamy, medium to full bodied brew. Maybe not "easy drinking," given the heaviness of the flavor, but the ABV is well hidden and it goes down easy.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Served ontap in a snifter.

A: Opaque. 2mm head disipates quickly to a nice lacing ring.
S: Coffee, chocolate, slight alcohol.
T: Extremely well balaced with similar flavors.
M and D: For a high ABV RIS this goes down too well. Flavors linger on the tongue.

My favorite local RIS.

2.86/5  rDev -30.2%

Got got a bottle in a recent trade. I will say that I served it too cold, initially, but let it warm as I washed dishes for an hour.

A- Pitch black with a big chocolate-tan head.

S- not much. Some roast and coffe, some hops. I actually tried so hard to smell it , that I got a nostril full of beer.

T- Very dry for a RIS. Dry roast, black coffie, strong hop bitterness, slight astringency. Malt became a little more pronounced as it warmed. Some noticable heat from the alcohol. I had high hopes for this beer, but was slightly disapointed.

M- Thick and oily. Slid down the back of the throat.

D- Maybe I'll try it again sometime. But one's enough for me right now.

4.55/5  rDev +11%

Beware the STORM KING! Forget "Imperial" - This is an EPIC stout - giant in stature and legendary in taste. This stout just has it all - perfect hop and malt balance (both ends being rather extreme) - chocolate, coffee, vanilla and a touch of smoke (to name a few).

I have to say that this is currently my favorite stout. Awesome label design too. It's got a mules kick in terms of ABV, but its complex and rich flavors mask it well.

This is a "must-drink" beer to try for those that like complex stouts. It gets an A from me, but I would love to see a bourbon barrel aged version as a special release perhaps.

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottle dated best by 02-13-2013

As I poured this into my trusted imperial pint this beer has the usual characteristics of an imperial stout. Deep dark brown to black color with medium brown one finger head. There are simultaneous nutty and hoppy smells emanating from the glass. Once it warms the subtleties are released and include notes of chocolate and caramel. Are you sure this is a imperial stout? There is such a hop presence in the tasting of this, if it was a blind tasting, I would've said black IPA. Brilliant balance of malt and hops, it adds a punch of bitterness on the palette. This does have an ever so slight grit to it but doesn't take enough away from it to be a problem.

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Served at a restraunt too cold, but they did serve it in a tulip like glass, much appreciated.

Appearance: Its dark obviously, medium thin brown head. I love the bottle

Smell: I get mostly coffee notes and some molasses smell, a little bit choclatey, very nice

Taste: More chocolate and molasses than I expected interesting balance with the coffee flavor. The alcohol is definitely noticable, finishes with some coffee, mostly molasses and maybe some raisins?

Mouthfeel: Lightly carbonated, hold it in your mouth and let it warm up, fairly heavy but not very thick.

I bottle at a time is definitely enough, but I could be satisfied with 2.
This is just a good beer with a different balance in flavors than Im used to (less than average coffee). I will definitely drink it again.

2.93/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I remember this being one of the first imperial stouts I've ever had. Decided to purchase it again, just a single this time around.

A: Nice coal-black, a billowy thin 4 cm head that erupted from a gentle pour. Head dissipated quickly. Good initial lacing, really adheres to the clean glass.

S: Lots of roast, coffee bitterness, alcohol, hint of floral hops.

T: Big bad roast, very burnt tasting, with some floral hop, dirt, and an unpleasant harsh alcohol astrigency. Reminds me of my first homebrewed porter.

M: Medium bodied, with enough to carbonation to make it sharp on the tongue. Where da viscosity?

D: Rubbing alcohol and meets roasted dirt. I will pass on this one the next time I see it, unless it's free.

I remember thinking this beer was a delicious beast, but roasted dirt with an alcohol chaser might now be for me.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A--Pours a pitch black with no visible highlights. Tan head about one finger tall. Didn't get much lacing to speak of.

S--Mostly caramel and cocoa, there was a wonderful sweetness here that I really thought put it over the edge. Great smelling beer

T-Big roasted malts and a bit of dark chocolate dominate. Lots of hop bitterness on the tongue to help even things out. Very well balanced, but it doesn't have that one standout feature to put it over the top

M--Relatively thin but the carbonation feels great on the tongue

D--Didn't take long to put away the 12 oz. bottle and could see myself drinking a few of these in a sitting

3.67/5  rDev -10.5%

12oz bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Poured dark and thick. Started off with a nice head which quickly dissapated.

Smell - Deep roast aroma, very nice.

First taste was a heavy roast malt with hints of coffee. Aftertaste is a dry hoppy feeling which I usually don't like but wasn't overpowering in this beer.

I wouldn't have more than one or two at a time, but is a nice one to mix in. I think it would go well with a rich dessert or a bacon and blue burger.

4.73/5  rDev +15.4%

A: a moonless back and inky color when in the glass. The pour exposed dark browns and dusty pecan hues. Head was large and in charge powered by a dense lather of mocha colored foam. My glass was littered with mocha colored slabs and rings of foam

S: smells of dark chocolate syrup, open fire roasted malts, and espresso all with adamant smells of green flaky cones. The greens smell of the citrus and floral type, very clean and earthy hop smells

T: within my glass exists an absolute contradiction...is this possible? This beer houses dark, I mean dark, chocolate notes swirled with burnt caramel crusted fire cooked malts. Flavors are of a dark pungency like no other. Great roasted flavors also portray a splendid espresso bean penchant that is top notch. The flavors are powerfully dark and in control, never to much. The hops play a huge role in keeping things from getting out of control and provide a soft tangy finish that my mouth begs for more drink. This is by far the best interplay between hops and a rich 'n' tasty stout that I have ever had

I remember having this beer some time ago, before my BA days, and I never really thought much about it. Not sure how that is possible? this beer is a monster!
Imagine this with bacon and eggs in the morning or even late night with a bowl of vanilla bean ice cream, wow!

M: this has to be one of the best bodies for a stout to date. Creamy, rich, succulent, and smooth. It is very heavy and maintains a viscous character throughout. I want to say "syrupy" but that always seems to take a condescending vibe, but it is damn close. Chew me please!

D: an absolute monster stout of great proportions. I poured this beer and Jeff Beck's Wired album came on and it was the most incredible pairing. Thanks Victory Brewing Company!

3.33/5  rDev -18.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an oversized snifter.

A: Pours black with a thick tan head that dissipates somewhat slowly. Not much lacing, but that could be because my girlfriend washed my snifter and I'm not sure how well she did. ;)

S: Whoa, that's a hoppy stout! The hoppy aroma overpowers any other aroma and I didn't expect it at all. After letting it warm a bit, I can smell chocolate and a bit of coffee and the hop aroma has backed off.

T: Roasted malts hit your palate first, as expected. You can really taste the hops in the finish and aftertaste, which I'm not sure I like in a stout.

M: A bit thin in the mouth. Even though I think it might be a little overcarbonated, it really isn't detected in the mouth.

D: Drinkability is a little low for me. I think the hoppy taste and smell just turn me off a bit from this beer.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%

From the bottle into a normal pint glass, but there's no ahead, my fault on the pour. Not doing so hot on those. Still, this stout is opaque black.

First wiff is oak. And I don't get more than that.

Tastes of a very dark chocolate, charred malts and coffee. It's hoppy for a stout, but I don't mind, it fits well with the burnt flavor. Bitter, real bitter and it lingers. A tough beer.

More carbonation than I expected, but that's okay. It's harsh but not off-putting.

Drinkable, despite how bitter it is. I could handle a few of these, I think.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with thick brown head. Good lacing all the way down glass. Roasted chocolate malt and floral hop scents. Very smooth velvety mouthfeel. Strong roasted malt and sweet chocolate flavors with flowery hop bitterness in aftertaste. Can not detect any alcohol in this. Very drinkable and smooth.

4.32/5  rDev +5.4%

Served in a 12 oz snifter from the tap at Binny's South Loop on 3/27/09. Very dark with a awesome head which didnt dissapear for quite some time. Nice glass lacing. Smell of roasted malt and chocolate, slight coffee and lastly some hoppiness. Taste was very appealing. Unable to really taste the hoppiness right away, reminds me of something other than a stout. Nice finish with no lingering aftertaste. Hello...??!!! the hops have appeared rather late but quite timely indeed! Warms afters a while. I could drink more to be honest...not always an easy task when discussing stout beers. Very enjoyable!

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%

A: Dark oil pour, pretty good head composure with lacing that traces your movements. Some head still remained after 10 minutes or so

S: Chocolate bitterness all over the place. Typical Victory funky bitter hop smell. Roast coffee and malt

T: Very similar to smell. Bitter bite at first, then chocolate taste, then bitterness insues and an aftertaste of bittering hops is left behind after .

M: Creamy good consistency

D: Easy drinkability . Once you let this one warm up, it opens up to you a little bit, causing you to want another.

4.31/5  rDev +5.1%

Victory's best beer, in my humble opinion.

Appearance is beautiful. I understand it's all relative, but the heavy darkness, the way light just can't escape it's clutches like a collapsed star ... it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. A dark brown head compliments the swarthy complexion just right.

Smell is pleasant. A nice coffee tang prepares the tastebuds for a wonderful journey.

Taste is impeccable. Always a nice pick-me-up when chasing the Storm King.

Acceptable mouthfeel, if not slightly watery for an Imperial Stout.

Drinkability is up there with the best of them as an Imperial. The high ABV will catch you after a while though, it's a tricky balance and you won't want to stop drinking, trust me.

3.73/5  rDev -9%

The first time I tried this I didn't much care for it, but after a year or two I found that I liked it much better.

Poured pitch black with a HUGE initial head that came out of nowhere. I had to back way off my pour and let it settle for a minute. Rocky coffee-colored head that retains excellent and leaves thick clumps of patchy, sticky lacing.

Aroma of bitter chocolate, espresso, and of course, strong floral hops.

Starts off with a roasted malt bitterness including hints of cocoa and coffee. Floral hops show up in the middle and dry out the finish. Hoppy bitterness lingers in the finish a bit too long. Alcohol is well blended and lends a nice warmth.
Missing is any real sweetness to balance the insane hop level. Malt presence is good and flavorful, but lacks the sweetness that I look for to offset the hops. Without it the hops seem a touch harsh and overdone. Still good, but could be better in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is nicely creamy and full. Retained enough carbonation even with an overzealous pour.

I'm cellaring a few of these and looking forward to the results. I expect it to round out nicely with some age.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Well this was interesting...

A = Poured near jet black with two fingers of ominous deep brown head.

S = What? This is a stout? If I put HopDevil and this side by side, I might not tell the difference. Hop all around.

T = Surprise. Strong coffee and some hints of chocolate burst out front. But just when you thought "well the smell was misleading", bam!!, here come the hops. Hops kick ass all the way through. At first I thought, this isn't good, but once my mind opened up a bit, it actually grew on me. Something about the stark contrast of beginning to end appealed to me. I think maybe Victory is forcing the creation of a new beer category. Maybe Hop Stout or Flower Stout or something.

M = Pretty thin for a "stout". Carbonation was low to medium. Not bad, but could be a bit meatier. But what the hell is this beer anyway?

D = Extremely drinkable if you keep this in the stout category. Honestly, like a nice IPA.

In retrospect, why would I expect Victory, in their well established hop expertise, not to dominate their stout with the flower of the Gods?

Would be interesting to see what cellaring would do to this brew. Honestly, it may be a detriment to it. Without the hops, I wonder what would be left?

Very interesting take on the stout style. Highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured opaque with a decent tan head that quickly disipated. Unusual amount of hop smell, as well as roasted, almost burnt malt, and coffee. Tasted a bit thin, Im sure it will be better with age. Was relatively easy to drink given the sytle, I will have to pick up a six pack and cellar. Overall a very good beer, worth a try.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance- dark brown to black, nice tan head on the pour which lingers, not transparent at all no light get through the king

Smell- coffee, roasted malts, slight chocolate, hops, strong espresso,

Taste- Delicious right away, great espresso flavor, burnt malts, and a delicious hoppy bitter after taste that really lingers, gets better as it warms, the finish is supremely long lasting, lots and lot of great hops this is not your average stout, its a hop bomb stout

Mouthfeel- thick full bodied and creamy, soft smooth

Drinkability- Dangerously drinkable considering its alcohol level, really great finish on each sip makes you want more and more, great beer and a fine example of the style, don't go for this one though if you dont like a hoppy beer, one my favorites and deserves the praises heaped upon it, long reign the king

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Serving notes: brandy snifter, cellar temp
A - wonderful floral-citrus hops. Although aroma is wonder it is more IPA than stout-like. Hops aroma overwhelms any roast or chocolate malt aromas.
A - billowy dark tan head (three plus fingers), opaque black. Some lacing. Solid finger of head lingers for the entire drink.
M - medium to full mouthfeel, very light carbonation, alcohol warmth present.
T - grapefruit and other dark fruits, hops. Some roast malt comes through in the flavor but it is behind the fruit / hop notes. Alcohol flavor compliments all of these nicely.
D - Wonderful imperial beer, but do not be expecting a stout in anything but color. This is a good balanced IPA.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown