Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

Liked:
4.05/5
Alströms:
3.8

Ratings: 5,921 |  Reviews: 2,645
3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into an oversized snifter.

A: Pours black with a thick tan head that dissipates somewhat slowly. Not much lacing, but that could be because my girlfriend washed my snifter and I'm not sure how well she did. ;)

S: Whoa, that's a hoppy stout! The hoppy aroma overpowers any other aroma and I didn't expect it at all. After letting it warm a bit, I can smell chocolate and a bit of coffee and the hop aroma has backed off.

T: Roasted malts hit your palate first, as expected. You can really taste the hops in the finish and aftertaste, which I'm not sure I like in a stout.

M: A bit thin in the mouth. Even though I think it might be a little overcarbonated, it really isn't detected in the mouth.

D: Drinkability is a little low for me. I think the hoppy taste and smell just turn me off a bit from this beer.

3.4/5  rDev -16%

From the bottle into a normal pint glass, but there's no ahead, my fault on the pour. Not doing so hot on those. Still, this stout is opaque black.

First wiff is oak. And I don't get more than that.

Tastes of a very dark chocolate, charred malts and coffee. It's hoppy for a stout, but I don't mind, it fits well with the burnt flavor. Bitter, real bitter and it lingers. A tough beer.

More carbonation than I expected, but that's okay. It's harsh but not off-putting.

Drinkable, despite how bitter it is. I could handle a few of these, I think.

4.38/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours pitch black with thick brown head. Good lacing all the way down glass. Roasted chocolate malt and floral hop scents. Very smooth velvety mouthfeel. Strong roasted malt and sweet chocolate flavors with flowery hop bitterness in aftertaste. Can not detect any alcohol in this. Very drinkable and smooth.

4.32/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in a 12 oz snifter from the tap at Binny's South Loop on 3/27/09. Very dark with a awesome head which didnt dissapear for quite some time. Nice glass lacing. Smell of roasted malt and chocolate, slight coffee and lastly some hoppiness. Taste was very appealing. Unable to really taste the hoppiness right away, reminds me of something other than a stout. Nice finish with no lingering aftertaste. Hello...??!!! the hops have appeared rather late but quite timely indeed! Warms afters a while. I could drink more to be honest...not always an easy task when discussing stout beers. Very enjoyable!

3.96/5  rDev -2.2%

A: Dark oil pour, pretty good head composure with lacing that traces your movements. Some head still remained after 10 minutes or so

S: Chocolate bitterness all over the place. Typical Victory funky bitter hop smell. Roast coffee and malt

T: Very similar to smell. Bitter bite at first, then chocolate taste, then bitterness insues and an aftertaste of bittering hops is left behind after .

M: Creamy good consistency

D: Easy drinkability . Once you let this one warm up, it opens up to you a little bit, causing you to want another.

4.31/5  rDev +6.4%

Victory's best beer, in my humble opinion.

Appearance is beautiful. I understand it's all relative, but the heavy darkness, the way light just can't escape it's clutches like a collapsed star ... it makes my mouth water just thinking about it. A dark brown head compliments the swarthy complexion just right.

Smell is pleasant. A nice coffee tang prepares the tastebuds for a wonderful journey.

Taste is impeccable. Always a nice pick-me-up when chasing the Storm King.

Acceptable mouthfeel, if not slightly watery for an Imperial Stout.

Drinkability is up there with the best of them as an Imperial. The high ABV will catch you after a while though, it's a tricky balance and you won't want to stop drinking, trust me.

3.73/5  rDev -7.9%

The first time I tried this I didn't much care for it, but after a year or two I found that I liked it much better.

Poured pitch black with a HUGE initial head that came out of nowhere. I had to back way off my pour and let it settle for a minute. Rocky coffee-colored head that retains excellent and leaves thick clumps of patchy, sticky lacing.

Aroma of bitter chocolate, espresso, and of course, strong floral hops.

Starts off with a roasted malt bitterness including hints of cocoa and coffee. Floral hops show up in the middle and dry out the finish. Hoppy bitterness lingers in the finish a bit too long. Alcohol is well blended and lends a nice warmth.
Missing is any real sweetness to balance the insane hop level. Malt presence is good and flavorful, but lacks the sweetness that I look for to offset the hops. Without it the hops seem a touch harsh and overdone. Still good, but could be better in my opinion.

Mouthfeel is nicely creamy and full. Retained enough carbonation even with an overzealous pour.

I'm cellaring a few of these and looking forward to the results. I expect it to round out nicely with some age.

4.08/5  rDev +0.7%

Well this was interesting...

A = Poured near jet black with two fingers of ominous deep brown head.

S = What? This is a stout? If I put HopDevil and this side by side, I might not tell the difference. Hop all around.

T = Surprise. Strong coffee and some hints of chocolate burst out front. But just when you thought "well the smell was misleading", bam!!, here come the hops. Hops kick ass all the way through. At first I thought, this isn't good, but once my mind opened up a bit, it actually grew on me. Something about the stark contrast of beginning to end appealed to me. I think maybe Victory is forcing the creation of a new beer category. Maybe Hop Stout or Flower Stout or something.

M = Pretty thin for a "stout". Carbonation was low to medium. Not bad, but could be a bit meatier. But what the hell is this beer anyway?

D = Extremely drinkable if you keep this in the stout category. Honestly, like a nice IPA.

In retrospect, why would I expect Victory, in their well established hop expertise, not to dominate their stout with the flower of the Gods?

Would be interesting to see what cellaring would do to this brew. Honestly, it may be a detriment to it. Without the hops, I wonder what would be left?

Very interesting take on the stout style. Highly recommended.

4.03/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured opaque with a decent tan head that quickly disipated. Unusual amount of hop smell, as well as roasted, almost burnt malt, and coffee. Tasted a bit thin, Im sure it will be better with age. Was relatively easy to drink given the sytle, I will have to pick up a six pack and cellar. Overall a very good beer, worth a try.

4.48/5  rDev +10.6%

Appearance- dark brown to black, nice tan head on the pour which lingers, not transparent at all no light get through the king

Smell- coffee, roasted malts, slight chocolate, hops, strong espresso,

Taste- Delicious right away, great espresso flavor, burnt malts, and a delicious hoppy bitter after taste that really lingers, gets better as it warms, the finish is supremely long lasting, lots and lot of great hops this is not your average stout, its a hop bomb stout

Mouthfeel- thick full bodied and creamy, soft smooth

Drinkability- Dangerously drinkable considering its alcohol level, really great finish on each sip makes you want more and more, great beer and a fine example of the style, don't go for this one though if you dont like a hoppy beer, one my favorites and deserves the praises heaped upon it, long reign the king

4.05/5  rDev 0%

Serving notes: brandy snifter, cellar temp
A - wonderful floral-citrus hops. Although aroma is wonder it is more IPA than stout-like. Hops aroma overwhelms any roast or chocolate malt aromas.
A - billowy dark tan head (three plus fingers), opaque black. Some lacing. Solid finger of head lingers for the entire drink.
M - medium to full mouthfeel, very light carbonation, alcohol warmth present.
T - grapefruit and other dark fruits, hops. Some roast malt comes through in the flavor but it is behind the fruit / hop notes. Alcohol flavor compliments all of these nicely.
D - Wonderful imperial beer, but do not be expecting a stout in anything but color. This is a good balanced IPA.

3.71/5  rDev -8.4%

pours out really heady and the beer itself is pretty fizzy. pour is black with a dark brown head.nothing too special in terms of a stout beer.i cannot wait to try one that has been aged at least a year. leaves a slight stickinesss in your mouth but nothing unexpected from a decent stout also there was minimal residue left in the glass.

3.36/5  rDev -17%

G: Poured into an oversized snifter. Enjoy by date of 10.16.2013, which I believe means that it was bottled on 10.16.2008.

A: Pours very dark, although not overly thick for this style. The color is near black, and the head is quite large and caramel-colored. Almost opaque on the pour; opaque in the glass.

S: Not terribly strong smelling. Hints of cocoa. A little bit of hops. Dark malt. On further sniffing, actually quite hoppy for the style.

T: Hints of black licorice. Quite a bit of hops for the style. Some malt, and actually quite spicy.

M: Very thin in the mouth. Slightly spicy with a good amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel reminds me more of an IPA than a RIS.

D: Drinkable. This seems more like a summertime beer, as opposed to most RIS's, which I could not envision drinking on a hot day while outdoors. Each sip does not leave me craving another, although this is decent, but I think quite a bit overrated, unless I have a bad bottle. I've got another in the cellar, I'll have to see if it's any different later on.

4.2/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3

Appearance: Just about solid black with a two finger tall caramel head that leaves great lacing. It certainly looks the part.

Aroma: Lots of roasty malt, as you'd expect. But unlike many stouts, there are definite hop notes to be found here.

Taste: Huge roasted malt body with lots of big semi-sweet chocolate and roasted coffee notes. Definite hop splashes at times, a very welcome addition. The alcohol is hidden rather well under the big malt body, but raises its head from time to time. Lots of coffee and some nice hop bitterness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: A very thick body, almost reminiscent of a milkshake. Perhaps a little chalky at times, but it works. Medium carbonation with nice alcohol warmth in the mouth.

Drinkability: As you'd expect from a Russian Imperial Stout, this is firmly in sipper territory. A beer to be savored.

Verdict: A very solid Imperial Stout with a unique hop flourish that really sets it apart. Well worth the hype, this is a beer that delivers (especially at this price point).

4.28/5  rDev +5.7%

Appearance: Poured out of a 12 oz. bottle into a Chimay goblet. Freshness date on bottle is December 18, 2013. This beer pours a dark, dark black with a beautiful dark khaki colored head that is much larger and more easily formed than other Russian Imperial Stouts I've had. The head doesn't appear to be very sticky due to the high ABV (9.1 %) and doesn't stick around too terribly long, which is just fine with me because I'm ready to drink this beast.

Smell: Hops. This is definitely the hoppiest nose on a stout I've ever smelled, and while I don't know the IBU's of this beer I'm assuming they're very high. The hops are very citrusy, very grapfruity, and are well balanced with the aromas of roasted black malt and chocolate. There is, however, a bit of solventy alcohol and blackberry that are off-scents and keep me from rating the smell of this beer higher than a four.

Taste: This beer starts off with a wonderful chocolate and malt flavor with a hint of espresso (the usual chocolate/espresso flirtation that Imperial Stouts have) and finishes with a prominent citrusy hop flavor. Just as I assumed from the smell this is the hoppiest tasting Russian Imperial Stout I've ever had, and I must say that I really am enjoying the dry, lingering finish. Unlike some of the other dark beers I've had that are lower on hops the prevalence of the hops here acts as an aperitif, allowing one to drink this beer much more rapidly than other in its class.

Mouthfeel: The brewers at Victory have left no stone unturned with this brew, and the mouthfeel is no exception. This is one incredibly creamy, rich, and full-bodied stout, and it is a real pleasure to drink. It has the creaminess of an oatmeal stout, which is damn impressive. The carbonation is also very low, which is nice.

Drinkability: There is absolutely no taste of the 9.1% alcohol the bottle claims this beer has, and I could definitely see myself drinking a few of these in a night. Considering the fact that it's Saint Patrick's Day, and that this is one of the smoothest and most delicious stouts I've had, I just might have to do that!

Notes: At the time of my review this beer is sitting at number ninety-one on the best of BA list, and it honestly deserves to be ranked at least this high, if not higher. In my opinion this is one of the best Russian Imperial Stouts money can buy, and I'm falling in love with the beer with every sip. The fact that this beer is a year-round release gives me all the more reason to always keep this one stocked in my fridge. Supposedly it's even better with some age on it, so I'll be going to the store soon to pick up another six-pack to throw in the cellar. Look for another review in a year or so.

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

Poured from 12oz bottle to pint glass.

A: Pours a very dark body with a large brown head with good retention and good lacing.

S: Smells very roasty with noticeable fruitiness, chocolate, and some hop to it.

T: Very well balanced and decently complex. Strong roasted malts are complemented by dark fruit turning into a bitter chocolate finish all with a nice hop character to it. Almost no alcohol character until the almost final sip.

M: Well carbonated, perfect thickness, not too heavy but by no means too thin. Silky and semi-creamy. Almost perfect for the style IMO.

D: Very, very drinkable for the style, I could very easily have a few bottles of this one. I'm very impressed.

2.43/5  rDev -40%

Poured into a glass from a 12 oz bottle. Very dark and readily makes a dark thick head. I wasn't paying attention and poured a little too fast and had to let the head settle for a long time - good retention. You can clearly smell the hops and roasted malts. When I got around to drinking it the initial flavor was all hops followed by burnt coffee that lingered long after swallowing. Only a faint hint of the alcohol, but it's not surprising given how overwhelming the hops and burnt coffee is. I wish I could say I tasted something else in this brew, but I really didn't. There's little to no balance in it. It's sort of cross between a DIPA and stout/RIS, but I think fails at both, because the hops are really strong for a stout/RIS, and the malts aren't sweet enough to underpin hops like a good DIPA. Unrepenting hopheads will probably enjoy it, but I could not.

3.86/5  rDev -4.7%

Realized I can buy 6ers of this stuff now at my local liquor store.

Pours a dark black with a very nice head that provided lots of sticky lace to the glass. Looks a little thin for an RIS though.

Smell is not what I was expecting. It smellss pretty yeasty and there is a slight hop smell. Some roasted notes come through too but it is not very aromatic for an RIS.

Taste is a little different than what I was expecting but very good. It's not as toasty and over powering as alot of others in it's same category but that makes it very sessionable. It's like they didn't use alot of chocolate malt or something. Can't put my finger on it. There is a huge toasty aftertaste.

Mouthfeel I wish was a little more viscous but carbonation is good.

Overall a good beer. Still got five more and Im gunna let them age a bit before I drink them up. It seems like this one could use some time.

4.18/5  rDev +3.2%

Presentation: Straight from the 12 oz. bottle and into my Gray's pint glass.

A: Poured dark black with a gorgeous thick tan head. The head left a really nice lacing down the inside of the glass.

S: Slight coffee scent, but mostly malty. Rather subtle all around.

T: Roasted bitter coffee with a hint of bitter chocolate. A little boozy on the swallow.

M & D: Thick and creamy with minimal carbonation. Very smooth...finishes dry. This is a brew with a pretty high drinkability factor. Maybe not quite sessionable, but very good nonetheless.

4.4/5  rDev +8.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Single 12 oz from Famous Liquors in Lombard, IL.

A: Pours dark black with a lot of CREAMY beautiful mocha head and some good lacing on the glass.

S: Bitter and milk chocolate, dark fruits like chocolate covered blackberries, slight coffee and roast scents

T: just like the smell, which is great; chocolately, dark fruits, slight coffee and roast malts slightly dry finish

M: Nice and creamy with perhaps a tad bit over carbonation but I can't complain about much else

D: Super easy to drink, can't pick up any of the alcohol, tastes good...winner!

This has just become one of my favorite easy-to-procure imperial stouts.

4.35/5  rDev +7.4%

a: Motor oil body, tan head.

s: sweet cocoa and some light hops notes.

t: Deep roasted malts, dark chocolate, molasses, bitter coffee and plenty of hop bitterness to balance things out.

m: Coarse on the tongue, thick body, long finish.

d: Mmm...roasty. Other RISs may be deeper, but this is more drinkable. A great beer for enjoying your fireplace for the first time of the season, as I did when I wrote this review. Good times. I think this is just a bit above Old Rasputin.

3.55/5  rDev -12.3%

Really looking forward to trying this one. It smells great and looks fantastic. The head laces very nicely and takes a bit to go down but it the rest of the beer doesn't lace well or maybe I was too thirsty. Feel of it was a bit too lightly weighted for an imperial stout. Hardly any alcohol taste what so ever so it's easy to down these things and not realize it. Taste is a little sweet with some lightly roasted coffee and just a vestige of bitterness. An all around good beer but probably won't be picking it up again for a little while at least.

4.36/5  rDev +7.7%

This beer carries its reputation quite well. The problem is, some beers that get this much hype end up being kind of a let down...not the casewith the storm king.
A midnight black, picture perfect stout, with head to spare that never goes away...The beer is gone, can I lick the foam out or is that just trashy? Beautiful beer.
The smell is burnt caramel and licorice, balanced with some mild hoppiness ( I wonder how many hops lost their lives to be sacrificed to the storm king?) some warming alcohol is wearing a chocolate scented suit.
The taste is the same, slightly bitter on the front of the tongue like dark chocolate, followed by a punch of tempered sweetness. Delicious balance of flavor.
The mouth is smooth and creamy, a gentle carbonation settles the alcohol down quite a bit. This beer is dangerously drinkable, it goes down way smoother and quicker than it should.

3.9/5  rDev -3.7%

Appearance- Had a great look out of the bottle depending on how you pour it could get a big foamy head of just a little bit of nothing both are a dark woody brown.
Smell- The average imperial smell chocolates and alcohol the only bad part about this is the alcohol is a little overwhelming in the smell.
Taste- As far as imperials go nothing to special dont get me wrong it is a good beer and i thoroughly enjoyed it. Had chocolates and alcohol for the strong points of the taste with a nice malty finish.
Mouthfeel- Very smooth and easy to take down the alcohol may overrun some of the other aspects but is very unnoticeable in the mouthfeel.
Drinkability- This is a great imperial to just sit around and drink while i feel it is a little average i will continue to enjoy it as it is readily available and accessible.

4.23/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a Duvel tulip glass. Small amount of cappuccino head dissipated quickly.

After reading a lot about this stout I had some really high expectations - thankfully I was not disapointed. Upon the first smell I knew I was in for a great beer - strong aromas of espresso and coffee were clear. The taste was fantastic and matched that. Lots of espresso, chocolate, and some toffee.

Maybe it was my bottle, but I felt like there was a little too much carbonation in the mouth feel. None the less the alcohol is beautifully hidden.

I definitely plan on picking up a few bottles to keep in the cellar - I think this will age quite nicely.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown