Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.1

Ratings: 5,918 |  Reviews: 2,644

1.65/5  rDev -59.8%

Pours a deep brown with a giant head which is receding slowly but surely. The head is a light tan color, sticky in some places and quick to recede in others.

Smells super hoppy and oily. Barely getting any malt character at all on the nose. Getting dark malt scents now that i've let it breathe for a bit. Head is really really sticky in some spots. Not a bad looking brew.

Slight malty sweetness up front with touch a caramel but besides the mouthfeel, the rest of this beer tastes like a double ipa. Lots of oily and citric hops present on the back of the tongue along with a good amount of bitterness.

The hops actually lend to a good deal of the beers flavor, i'm getting grapefruit and even pineapple notes. Alot of flavors are present, but i dont think they all blend well at all.

Am I wrong for not wanting a hop bomb out of a stout?

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

1.83/5  rDev -55.4%

IN a snifter at Flying Saucer Austin.
I CAN ONLY ASSUME that this was a bad keg. I know it wasn't me because i had everyone at the table sample my glass.

Appearance -The pour was ok. Nice head. Dark chocolate appearance.
Smell - Like a wet Juggalo that's been festering in the back seat of a taxi without air-conditioning for a few hours.
Taste - Imagine the same Juggalo in the middle of a field of burning tires, you open your mouth to breath and swallow the Juggalo-tire smoke. Stayed with me for way longer than it should have.
Feel - Like greasy black death slid down the backside of a Juggalo and attached itself to the roof of your mouth.

I will try it again just to make sure this was a one off.

1.86/5  rDev -54.6%

Short and dirty..did not like this. I love Impy stouts and this one disappointed. There was too much hops on the front and bitterness with no point. The malt was in its own right one dimensional. Coffee came through a little bit but was overwhelmingly beat back by bitterness and alcohol. Not pleasant and very hard to drink. Of all the Stouts I have had this was my least favorite. I tried to give it a chance, but after choking down four of these in an attempt to better appreciate it, I gave the final 2 away to a friend of mine who is a macro drinker because he will drink anything to catch a buzz. Not only will I not seek out again, I will advise against trying it.

1.88/5  rDev -54.1%

look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 1 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 2.25

Very bitter, we were highly disappointed due to all the incredibly high ratings. Bought 12 and handed them out. No one in the office liked them. Don't believe the positive hype on this. This is a beer for IPA and other bitter beer drinkers. If you don't like hoppy/bitter beers, avoid this.

2.02/5  rDev -50.7%
look: 3 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 1.25

Black coffee is all I got.

2.04/5  rDev -50.2%

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Aroma is of hops and very thick, coffee-like malts.

Hoppy upfront with a dose of floral hops smacking the palate at first. This gives way to the aforementioned roasted, coffee malt that was on the nose. However, the malt is pushed aside by a burst of hop bitterness on the finish surprisingly...leaving the palate with a bit of grapefruit, astringent bitterness that slowly increases in intensity and hits the back of the throat. I must say I was expecting a beer that leaned more to the malts versus hops here and am somewhat surprised. Also, the mouthfeel is thinner than I thought for style.

The aftertaste, as was mentioned, is rather bitter...the sides of the tongue want to pucker for quite some time after the swallow. The malts, by that time, are a distant memory.

I just don't find this to be very drinkable at all. I wanted to chew the rich malts here...I wanted a thick, creamy mouthfeel abounding with malty goodness...and I just didn't get it. The bitter finish and aftertaste detract from drinkability and really, this isn't something I'd drink again.

2.08/5  rDev -49.3%

Had a very nice head that stayed until the last few drinks.

Had a very nice nutty coffee smell to it. Head was a dark milk chocolate look to it.

First taste had a very coffee hops bitter taste that gave a very hard kick to my taste buds, probably from the 9.1% alc. Every drink after that became much more bitter to where I couldn't almost finish the last few drinks.

Seemed very thin and had no point to the bitterness.

2.2/5  rDev -46.3%

A: Black, 1/4 inch, no carbonation.

S: Floral notes are the dominant scent, with undertones of cinnamon spice and licorice.

T: It literally tasted like I ate rose petals, and then had my tongue and throat bruised by the strong knockout punch of hops. Hops linger forever.

M: Full bodied, creamy on the back end.

O: It tasted like I was drinking floral perfume, only to then get punched by Bernard HOPkins (get it?).

2.21/5  rDev -46.1%

What does victory want me to do with this beer? put it in my engine perhaps and use it as oil? It smells and looks pretty darn good but after a few sips I never wanted to taste this again. I have never had a beer so undrinkable. Its a dark chocolate overtone with super hoppiness that hurts. I can't drink this, it was gross. I am disappointed in victory for this one.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown