Storm King Stout | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial Stout

Emerging from the deepest shades of darkness, a rolling crescendo of flavors burst forth from this robust stout. The thundering, hoppy appeal of Storm King subsides into the mellow subtleties of roasted malt, exhibiting an espresso-like depth of character in its finish. An exquisite blend of imported malts and whole flower American hops merge harmoniously in this complex ale. Discover the dark intrigue of Storm King, as it reveals the rich, substantial flavors that it holds within.

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-10-2001

4.1

Reviews: 2,622 | Ratings: 5,847
4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

The pour is a deep, opaque black with a tan head that starts foamy and quickly turns to larger bubbles. The head stays around a long time leaving a lot of lacing.

The smell is of roasted coffee and a fig-like dark sweetness. The feel is thin but smooth, with a burst of carbonation upon drinking soon after the pour but not much later on. The flavor is likewise dark but more of a burnt-toast flavor than coffee. There is a rather dry hop finish with a lingering flavor of bitter chocolate.

Overall, it isn't a bad brew but it seems like the aspects are a bit unbalanced. It may have been an older bottle for this tasting, but more carbonation would have been appreciated to enhance the feel.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a New Belgium snifter from a 12 oz. bottle. Huge pillowy light brown head that lingers and laces nicely down. Smell is not terribly noticeable, but i do catch some hop aroma. The hops definitely carry over into the taste also. Great balance, slightly boozy, nice oily mouthfeel.

Sometimes you see threads about value and how it plays into how you review a beer. While this really isn't in the same boat with a bourbon barrel aged RIS, the hop profile and the PRICE make this a more than worthy beer that i will DEFINITELY purchase again.

I am very impressed by Victory's beers, especially this one and Golden Monkey, both big beers with small prices. Hooray for Victory and hooray for my wallet!

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

very good product, for this type. Lots of flavor: hops, and malts abound. This is one strong brew- not for everyone. But if you enjoy a strong, hoppy stout- it is top notch.
Had it in growler form from Marcy Beverage.
Looks rich and dark, and smells rich and dark. as a hoppy bite to it; but also has strong malt flavors. Complex and strong.
Good stuff!

4.4/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

12oz. bottle served in a pint glass

A- The stout pours as black as night and looks thick and full bodied. The creamy medium yellow head foams to about an full inch thick which retains for a while. Not much lacing as the beer progresses. Nice looking.

S- In the nose you get very full and strong elements of roasted hops,coffee(more of an espesso),chocolate, barley and even some cherries. There is a very inviting alcohol scent throughout that makes you realize, this is 9.1 percent.

T- The first sip is a very nice burst of taste. You get the coffee espresso, chocolate and roasted malt and hops that you got in the nose. A bit of a deviation from a traditional stout due to the amount of hops, but I like it. From start to finish it is very smooth with nicely balanced hop bitterness that lingers until the next sip, which for me wasn't too long.

M- Very nice creamy, full bodied mouthfeel. You know your drinking a serious beer here.

D- For the fact that this is an Imperial Stout, it is remarkably drinkable. This nice offering from Victory could get you in trouble due to the fact that you know what a wallop it packs starting off the bat, but after a couple of sips you forget, it's so smooth. Look forward to my next one already.

4.03/5  rDev -1.7%

Poured from a bottle into an Imperial Pint glass

The color of this beer is jet black, no light can bee seen through the glass. It had a pronouced head, though small and it dissipated quickly. The color of the foam was a golden amber. It left nice lacing on the glass.

Upon smelling the beer it has a nice roasted coffee sent, hints of cocoa and toffee and it smelled sweeter than it actually was.

This was a hop forward stout, the bitterness from the hops filled my entire palate. There was a smokey coffee flavor with hints of citrus peel that you get from hoppy beers. The chocolate flavor was mild. It had good carbonation.

Overall this was a good beer, actually based on other reviews I would say a really good beer. As a stout, I was not expecting as much hops as this beer has and was surprised by that. It possessed a nice balance of both the roasted malt, cocoa/coffee flavor with a good amount of hops

4.15/5  rDev +1.2%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Aggressive pour results in a finger and a half of espresso crema head on top of a pitch black liquid. Great lacing, this beer has some serious legs and glass-staining potential.

S: Surprisingly hop-forward, juicy bitter citrus (limes, tangerines), darkly roasted caramel, sweet, bready malts.

T: Wow this is a really hoppy stout! A hit of juicy tangerine-lime at first, swallowed up by the briefest sweet malty caramel and tons of aggressive hop/roast bitterness. Somewhat medicinal/asprin-y in the aftertaste, which builds with each sip.

M: They do an excellent job of hiding the alcohol (9+%ABV!), which only shows itself in a slight warming burn in the back of the throat, but make no mistake, even with great, smooth even carbonation it sits like motor oil, with a hoppy, resin-y stickiness.

O: Not exactly what I think of when I think "stout", but I suppose since it's Imperialized the extreme hoppiness has its place. I wouldn't reach for it if I was looking for something with more roast and less bitterness, but it does come across very satisfying. Successful contender for one of the best, more character-forward stouts I've had.

I have to agree with the Alstrom bros on this one: this beer has gone a little out of whack. It pours a beautiful black and has a nice creamy carmel head, and it smells like the real deal. But, unfortunately, this beer has become really bitter (emphasis on really). I don't think I could drink more than one a night, and I love bitter. For some reason, I remember this beer being a little more in balance when I tried it a few years ago.

**edit**

After giving the rest of this six pack a try, I have grown to really like this beer; yeah it's bitter as all hell, but once you start to embrace that, other stouts seem flat-out week. In fact, I wouldn't drink another stout within the same week to avoid making the others seem bland. I guess you just need to get your taste buds up for the challenge on this one.

2.26/5  rDev -44.9%

I hate to give this beer a bad review since Victory brews one of my all-time favorite beers (v12) but I truly didn't care for this one. I am not in any way a hop-head. I can't stand bitter beers. This storm king poured nicely and the smell was nice but the taste was way too bitter for me. If you love bitter beers, you'll probably dig this one. It's just not for me. I gave the remaining five beers from the six pack to friends.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Black in color. Three finger head that disappears quick quickly. Decent lacing that weakens as the head disappears.

S - Citrus hops, sweet and biscuit malty aroma.

T - Orangey flavored hops, chocolate and biscuit malts. The bittering hops lingers for quite a while. Warm alcohol taste.

M - Thick and sharp. Malts provide a decent amount of residual thick sweetness and co2, hops and alcoholicy taste provide a sharpeness.

D - This is a sipping beer. I can drink a couple of these slowly.

4.21/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Storm King Imperial Stout
12 oz bottle - Standard Pint Glass
Total Wine - Claymont, DE

A - pitch black, solid, slightly viscous during pour. 1.5 finger caramel head that dissipated into a milkshake-like lacing, mocha colored.

S - roasted malts, fresh hops, faint coffee, caramel and chocolate, earthiness feeling to the aroma. Take a second to swirl the glass around and the piney hops come alive in a big way, very refreshing, especially in a stout

T - sweet beginnings, chocolate and coffee come together in a mocha-like presence, almost like a milk stout. Hints of caramel add to the sweetness and linger on throughout. Turns over to a decent bitter in the finish due to the roasted malt presence. Good hop presence, carbonation is prevalent but nowhere close to being overkill. Good balance in this stout.

M - thick. Chewy. Coats the mouth well, leaves an aftertaste of fresh mocha, chocolate and roasted malts.

D - surprisingly affordable, not hard to find in the Philadelphia area. Hides the alcohol well while delivering flavor and good transition. Different flavors, scents, hop presence and roasted maltiness make this this a complex beer. Storm King is arguably the best Stout being produced in the Delaware Valley.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Aroma:  Roasted malt, sweet cherries, some hop spiciness and a hint of alcohol.

Appearance:  Opaque black color.  Half a finger of head with,initial lacing.

Flavor:  Aggressive malt sweetness and spicy hop bitterness.  This is clearly an american imperial stout.  No cloying sweetness.  Pleasant alcohol warming.

Mouthfeel:   Medium to full body.  Medium carbonation.

Overall:  Victory has created a aggressive toasty, sweet, bitter imperil stout.  This Beer drinks like an IPA with all the roasty malt sweetness.  Surprisingly it finishes dry with some lingering bitterness.  I highly recommend this winter warmer.  It's hard to find a 9 percent ABV beer in six pack packaging for such a reasonable price.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Poured into a snifter

A - Black in color and barely had a dark khaki head even with an aggressive pour. Spotty lacing.

S - Smells sweeter than I was expecting. Malts, coffee, and toffee.

T - Taste is on the roasted end for imperial stouts. Malts, coffee, and dark chocolate. Upon first sip to after taste it changes quite a bit with flavor. Starts off malty and roasty and ends up being more coffee and bitter at the end.

M - Medium body, slightly bitter, sweet, and well balanced.

O - It was alright, but am glad I had it. I was expecting it to be really sweet from the smell but the taste is quite a contrast. As far as a RIS that is more affordable this was good, and I think I'd rate it above Old Rasputin for personal preference. I wouldn't go out of my way to buy it, but if it was on tap somewhere I'd go for it.

4.7/5  rDev +14.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Enjoy by: 26 MAR 2020

L: Dark. Almost pitch black if it weren't for a slight red hue. Can't see through this beer at all. Poured around a 1 finger coffee and cream head which quickly dissipated.

S: Rich dark malt profile. Coffee, a little chocolate, and some toffee. This smells divine.

T: Dark roasted malts. Strong coffee flavor gives way to some malty sweetness and ends with some hoppy bitterness.

F: Smooth to drink. A little lighter on the mouth feel than I was expecting. Prepared myself for it to be a little more chewy. Coffee and bitterness linger around after a moderately dry finish. Very little to no alcohol burn for an Imperial Stout clocking in at 9.1% ABV.

O: I enjoyed this beer very much. I will be purchasing more to share, cellar, and enjoy immediately. If you like stouts, be sure to try this one out.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

A very impressive pour. Crystal clear black with a cocoa brown head.. "How much more black can it be? None, none more black" Nigel Tufnel.

Arma af straight black coffee; rich bitter and roasted. Like sticking your nose in a bag a black patent malt. Just take a big sniff between sips.

Taste of cocoa powder bitterness on the tongue. Coffee and cocoa wiht strong bitterness to finish.

Mouthfeel is a chalk like dryness, like biting a pecan shell

Very drinkable and never gets to harsh. Great representation of the style.

4.28/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours black with a thick mocha head that slowly reduces to a collar and leaves lacing all the way down the glass.

The nose is sweet and roasty, with chocolate and coffee fighting a strong herbaceous and floral hoppiness for dominance. A bit of alcohol just barely comes through.

Rich dark roast coffee and bittersweet chocolate are right upfront, with flavors of molasses, walnut, and oak soon following. The dry finish leaves woody/herbal hop bitterness lingering for quite a while.

It falls somewhere between medium and full bodied and is not very highly carbonated, which makes for a smooth and creamy mouthfeel

I wouldn't drink a six-pack in an evening, but the smooth mouthfeel does make this strong and flavorful beer easy to drink. This is one that I have had many times, and never have I had such a fresh bottle. Don't get me wrong, I love hops - but it is even more drinkable when the hops have mellowed a bit.

3.45/5  rDev -15.9%

From bottle into pint glass, at a bar.

Pours out dark, smells promising.Nice chocolate head, good carbonation, swirls around and settles. I'd been looking forward to trying it. Has nice espresso taste. Hoppy, too hoppy for me.Seems to have a thinner mouthfeel than what I expected. Glad to buy the bottle before I bought the case.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

This was a little hoppier than I expected. The overall impression was good. There was a nice chocolate and coffee balance and the appearance in the glass was as expected. Overall a very good beer but it didn't blow me away. I'd like to do a side by side comparison with a few other stouts to see how this one measures up to some more of my favorites.

3.96/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A very well balanced RIS. I think the hop additions makes a nice balance with the extreme malt and the alcohol bite which can be tasted up front.

It's a black as the ace of spades with a nice brown head that hold strong for a while and laces nicely as you drink it down.

Smells of coffee, chocolate and the 9% ABV it contains.

Has a nice balance of malt and some hops to keep her honest. Toffee and chocolate and coffee in the mouth and a finish that stays put for a while.

Is a full body, almost alcohol and waxy on the tounge but in a good way.

I think it is a great example of a Russian Imperial Stout. Not as tasty as some others but considering the 9abv its an easy drinking bigger stout. Will try again and again.. and probably again :)

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

A: This RIS pours black like an RIS should. The head is a creamy tan but not much head retention.
S: vanilla coffee malts with a bitter hoppey smell.
T: The taste on this beer is quite good for an all the year round RIS. I was pleased. It is not on par with the brewery release RIS like Darkness but as I said before as a RIS I can get all year round when I have a craving it is really nice. The flavour has that rich coffee maltiness that I love and it is has not too harsh of a bitterness from all of the hops.
M: The mouthfeel is average in my opinion. It was a little too carbonated and the soft fuzzy feel in the mouth was not up to par as in RIS like Teddy Bear Kisses.
D: the overall drinkability is good. For a RIS that is served all year round I am very happy with Victory's Storm King. I could drink a few of these in one night.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Black color. It has a small head that is light brown in color. It dissapates quickly. A bit of caramel and coffee to the nose. Very full body to the beer, almost "thick". Somewhat roasty, not as much as some others. A hint of sweetness, chocolate and a good hop bite. The alchohol is not evident at all.

4.35/5  rDev +6.1%

A hopped up version of a high gravity stout, this is another success story by the guys from Downingtown. The deep, dark color tempts the eyes, the hoppy nose tempts the tongue and does not disappoint. Its roasty, coffee notes along with the distinct hop finish makes this a hophead's delight. May not be to everyone's taste and the 9% abv can be a bit daunting, but to enjoy this beer on a night with a good book or beer magazine or even an entertaining movie, is worth it. I've had this on cask as well....awesome!!!

4.89/5  rDev +19.3%

This beer is excellent.

It pours an opaque black, and offers up a very thin tan head as I pour it down the side of my pint glass. The head doesn't linger long. The aroma is malty and roasty, with only a slight hint of alcohol.

The flavor is all that one could want from an imperial stout. I would serve this beer to an emperor. A full mouth-feel, with chocolate, roastiness, maltiness, and a subtle but firm bitterness from the hops, this beer pleases on many levels. Very satisfying.

I think I'll have another.

4.16/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this on cask thanks to the persistence of Mikey.

I wasn't incredibly impressed the first time I tried this beer, but this time around was definitely better. It was a very deep chocolate brown color with a decent head and lacing. In my opinion, the smell didn't do justice to the wonderful taste. This beer seemed a little agressive with the hops for a stout, but still was well-rounded. Not my favorite stout, but totally worth enjoying when you get the chance.

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

admittedly I am really too much of a noob to do this review justice. I have only had a handful of RIS, but I have to season my palate and taste a few more of these before I tear into my bottle of Kate.

I pull this out of the fridge and pour into a goblet. It pours a thick black with a 2 finger head that is the color of wet sand. The whole thing looks frothy and creamy. If you look at the stream as it pours it looks like pepsi.

Its got a roasty coffee smell with some hints of spice and chocolate. Those are generic terms for this style, it seems, but hey thats what I get. Alcohol is faintly present.

After the first taste I remember the tip to let this warm a little.

After 10 min, here we go. Thick, spicy coffee alcohol. Slightly bitter aftertaste that lingers on the center of my tongue. Not unpleasant. Nice. After a few sips the taste in your mouth is bitter and slightly dry. I am liking it.

Halfway down the glass the head and lacing are fighting with the liquid. After every sip the liquid tries to pull all the foam back but the creaminess punches back with some very nice lacing.

The mouthfeel is creamy and thick and I love that ever-so-slight numb feeling you get from the alcohol...this stuff is yummy.

The first cold drink was very different than the warmer midglass gulps. When I had the first taste I thought it would be my one and only, but I'm going to the fridge right now. The alcohol will get me, but I could drink quite a few of these...

2.69/5  rDev -34.4%

It pours very nicely and is an attractive looking beer. The beer is onyx in color and is topped with a chunky, milk chocolate colored head. Lace surrounds the glace when swirled and retains nicely. Although I am not a stout guy myself, I have to admit that it looked very pretty.

The nose was much weaker than I thought it would be. Chocolate and toffee as well as a fair amount of hops were identifiable, but were not powering in any way.

The taste was a crescendo of flavor and grew progressively stronger as it went down. Hops were definitely noticeable as well as a burnt popcorn flavors at the end of each sip. The strong coffee aftertaste is gross to me, which is the reason why I'm a tea drinker.

The mouth feel was clearly thick, which is one characteristic of stouts that deters me from drinking them. Furthermore, I disliked that it was astringent - it made me feel slightly dehydrated.

Admittedly, I didn't finish the beer, which was only delight to my friend. My rating will definitely be skewed due to the fact that I'm not a fan of this style. However, if you're one that likes stouts, this is a very well composed beer and it might be the brew for you.

Storm King Stout from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown