Whirlwind Witbier | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

good
good
Read the review
Whirlwind WitbierWhirlwind Witbier

4.75/5  rDev +28%

4.74/5  rDev +27.8%

Reminds me of New Belgium Sunshine

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

On tap at home...Rather,it was!As of now,my dictionary lists Victory Whirlwind Wit as being synonmous with, SUMMER! Purchased this 1/6 keg 12 days ago,and,well..."where'd it go"? Damn,this is now my favorite summer brew.Velvety mouthfeel,beautiful 2 finger creamy head,slightly hazy appearance, subtle lemon,citrus flavors,very well balanced!....Homer Simpson's toes would be curled,his eyes rolled back,while exclaiming,....MMM,YUMMY!!!
Goes down too smoothly.Highly recommended.
Treat yourself right.
Go and get some.

4.68/5  rDev +26.1%

This was my first Victory beer and I can definitely say I wasn't disappointed. The beer pours a hazy yellow color out of the bottle and the bottom of the bottle will usually have a good deal of yeast. The smell isn't that exciting but you can note a bit of a citrusy smell as well as a smell of spice. The taste of this beer, at least to me, is very hard to beat. It is a bit sour and full of citrus flavor. It is not a heavy beer and feels great on the tongue with its ample carbonation. As far as drinkability is concerned, this beer is one of the most drinkable you will find. I bought a six-pack a few weeks ago(along with a lot of other beers) and this time that I went back to my old reliable liquor store, I bought myself a whole case of it, something that I rarely do because I usually like to mix it up. Maybe one day I'll get sick of it but I highly doubt it. I can't wait to have these when summer comes along.

4.67/5  rDev +25.9%

Best beer I have ever had hands down

4.65/5  rDev +25.3%

A hazy, lemon-gold beer served with a fluffy white head. Head shows good retention and lacing. The aroma is a crisp coriander and wheat malt note, a touch of sweetness, and then nice cloves. The taste is a strong lemon, malt, and clove taste, reminiscent of Hoegaarden but taken to the next level. It is sweet and crisp, but then is slightly puckering on the finish. The mouthfeel is exceptionally creamy and feels like a much stronger, malty beer, but still refreshes. This beer is delicious and well balanced, making it a great summer refresher/session beer. Actually, the mouthfeel would take it well into the fall months. I've had this on tap and in bottles before, but I don't remember it being this good!

4.62/5  rDev +24.5%

A pretty solid witbier. Murky gold color, good carbonation and lace. Fruity wildflower combo on smell and taste. Very nice Belgian-ish complexity. This doesnt seem to sell too well--I have no idea why. For the style, this is almost the ideal example. Unfortunately, its not my favorite style. I think this is worth trying to use in a pancake batter with some morning bloodys.

4.58/5  rDev +23.5%

My last beer of the night!

A - Cloudy yellow in color. Sticky white head that's fluffy.
S - Citrus and wheat are the backbone with a slight bread.
T - Smooth. The flavors are equally represented as citrus and wheat followed by a bready taste that dulls away with little bitter. Yummy.
M - Crisp and clean
D - I may have to have this again since I lost the bottle for my label collection but I enjoyed this just as much as other offerings by Victory. Go golden monkey!

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

I had this on tap at Victory. It is a fine, cloudy yellow-golden color in the glass. Decent white, fluffy head. There is a somewhat spicy aroma. The corriander comes through. Many flavors come to the taste buds. It is very rich and full. An excellent example of the style. Not quite up to Hoegaarden or the Allagash, but still superb!

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

A - Poured a cloudy, straw color with fine carbonation rising to the surface. Head development is moderate, yet dense.

S - Citrus with a delicate spice aroma. Smell is definitely characteristic of a belgian-style ale with an underlying, somewhat grass-like odor. Overall, very pleasant.

T - Simply excellent. Mildly sweet with enough lemon/citrus to give this beer a slight tartness.

M - Very carbonated, crisp, and dry.

D - Exceptionally good, this beer is easy to drink and refreshing on a hot day.

4.52/5  rDev +21.8%

im a big fan of this beer

im very sad its a seasonal

in my exsperience I think its the best domestic witbier and also relativly cheap

its just light and resfreshing with a nice balance of wheat and a tall white froathy head

i was even lucky enough to pick up a 6 pack of it the other day, I dont think it will be back out till the spring

love victory and I really need to get up to the brewery soon

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

Pours a pale pale yellow with a two finger white head that melts quickly to fine lacing. Aggressive bubbling from the bottom of the glass continues to rise to the top.
Aroma is purely dry wheat malts, white pepper, and light, light banana or bubble gum.
Taste is definately a bready wheat with a little peppery bite on the end with the faintest of banana ester remaining on the tongue.
Very light and refreshing with a palette cleaning dryness in the aftertaste.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

This one seemed to have some pretty subpar reviews setting my expectations low, but I loved every sip of it. Im not a big fan of Victory's biggest beers, but they knock another session beer out of the park - great outlook for this summer.

12oz bottle poured into hefe glass for the first night of breaking out the grill in 08.

A: Cloudy, sediment filled belgian looking yellow with an ample head and slight lacing. Not the prettiest start.

N: This is where things look up. Citrus and a boatload of creamy ripe bananas. A bit of coriander with some hop aromas. The yeast and the wheat smells really are resounding for such a pale looking 'belgian'.

T: Citrus lemon and a sting of spices, mostly coriander. The lemon and orange peel flavors come out as it warms up and this proves to be delicious. Sweet matched with wheat makes this a terrific one for the season and grilling.

M: Light bodied, spicy kick and an overall thin beer that goes down crisply.

D: Went superbly with grilled eggplant and grilled soft shell crab. This is one Im going to be having several of through the summer in the back yard. Thanks Victory.

4.5/5  rDev +21.3%

My bottle from Springfield IL Friar Tuck has enjoy by Oct 25, '06.

Pours a chill hazed light golden/yellow with white head dimished by age.
Aroma is an inviting combination of coriander/bitter orange, bready wheat and Belgian yeast notes. So Good at 10 am on a late summer Saturday morning as I contemplate the yard word I need to do following the sever thunderstorm that brought down branches from my 100 Oak trees in the front yard. I sweep the deck of the leaves from the 15 minute marble size hail that preceeded the 2" down pour. The etch ring at the bottome of Samuel Adams "Ideal" glass brings up a cylinder of fine beading (reminding me of the bubble curtains used by baleen whales to herd krill into a dense column before the ascend - mouths agape - and breach the surface with a full mouth of crustaceans. I hunger for more of this amazing Belgian Wit and quaff a full mouth like the whales - the efferescence and citrus tingles my pallate like a million krill trapped in the baleen. The broom rests against the deck rail. The deck remains unswept as I let the joy of beer sweep away my desire to do any work.

Awesome mouthfeel is surpassed by an ultimate clean finish that would bring me back to this again for that quality.

Session beer? You Bet!

I yearn for a trip to Downington, PA for a freash pint from the source.
Maybe next year after the AHA Nationial conference in Cinncinatti, OH.

Beer is good - Victory brews some of the best!

4.49/5  rDev +21%

This beer came a semi-cloudy gold with a hint of peach to it. The head was just a thin collar.

Smells of fresh sour apple, coriander, bananas, lime, and gooseberries with a base of organic honey and fresh bread dough. This concoction of smells was both enticing and dizzying.

The coriander really comes through in the taste along with some raspberry, cantaloupe, plumb and peaches with a root of light and doughy ambiguous grains. There’s also a creamy, milky yeast that’s very earthy and pasty.

The mouth feel was medium bodied with a big swarm of carbonation that kinda got in the way.

This one’s tasty for sure on tap. Seek it out. The fruits in this one really steal the show.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

cloudy yellow color with a short white head with some lace not a lot. aromas a lot better spicy with clove and pepper and lemon. peppery tasting up front wheat and tangy yeast hits you next ending with spice and clove great taste. lots of carbonation which just adds to the taste. only thing is could not get all the sediment off the bottom which i think would also have added a little more to it. just added to my list of good witbier.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

2005 edition purchased at the brewery. Poured a hazy amber color with moderate white head. The smell is absolutely fantastic, a mixture of cloves and spices that won't quit. The taste follows though and is absolutely fantastic. Leaves an thorougly enjoyable taste in the mouth. A superb drinkable beer. I've waited since last fall to have this beer again and I wasn't disappointed.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Absolutely magnificent. The best Wit I've ever had.

An inviting and intriguing aroma eminates from a hazy golden body with orange cloudy hues. A thick frothy head floats on top. Scent is lemony, bready, citrusy, a full of notes of mellowed malts. Taste is much the same with a combination of bread and sweetened lemon-like flavor in the forefront. Complex, light, and pleasing to the mouth this is a beer you could throw back all day on the couch or in the sun, shade, or bar.

4.47/5  rDev +20.5%

Big, beautiful head, white as driven snow, lemony color. And there's the aroma, right away, all those fresh and delightful notes we love in a witbier-the lemon, the orange, the spice.Light, but substantial texture. So fresh! Alc. content not given, and not detected. Hoppy as all get-out! The ultimate summer beer, and a note-perfect interpretation.

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown