Whirlwind Witbier | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

good
good
Read the review
Whirlwind WitbierWhirlwind Witbier

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

1.44/5  rDev -61.2%

WTF did they do to this beer? This is the first time I tried it since they put in the new brewhouse and I'm not impressed. This used to be a wonderfully drinkable beer with orange and subtle spice flavors that made it quite refreshing. Now its just overloaded with phenolics and all you can taste and smell is cloves. I can't get past the phenolic flavors enough to even finish a bottle. Just horrible. Hopefully this is just temporary and they can get it back to where it used to be.

1.91/5  rDev -48.5%

Fan of Victory so I thought Id try this

A: Pours a deep yellow color with a lot of carbonation and a small, white head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass

S: First smell I get is of the wheat and cloves, but the more I smell, the more it reminds me of a bologna sandwhich. I hope it doesnt taste like this

T: I should of known, it does taste exactly like bologna, which I do not like. There were no subtle flavors to tone it down either and I had a tough time finishing it. Watery bologna sandwhich is the perfect explanation for this one

M: Carbonation is nice and it is quite crisp

D: Not drinkable at all

I had trouble finishing this one, good thing I had a Miller Lite to wash it down. Miserable beer. I am very disappointed with Victory for this one. DONT BUY!!

2.07/5  rDev -44.2%

Needless to say, I was not very impressed with this beer. In fact, I found it to be rather offensive. I'm not a huge fan of witbiers, but every one I've had has been better than this. Fizzy white head that dies after a few seconds, even with a strong pour. No lacing. Clear golden color. Coriander and cloves in the nose..can't really pick up anything else. As far as taste goes..in my opinion, the coriander and spices are way overdone, but then again, that's my personal taste. Nothing stood out for me and I didn't find any aspect of the beer particularly exciting. I feel bad giving such a great brewery a bad review...it's hard for me to believe Hopdevil is related to this brew.

2.09/5  rDev -43.7%

Light yellow cloudy beer with a quickly fading head.Aroma is disgusting,it actually smeels like mustard.Taste is nutmeg and lemon...yuck.I am a fan of Victory products but this is just plain unenjoyable.I will label this as one step below garbage.Yuck.

2.12/5  rDev -42.9%

**Not sure if this one is infected but this is the weirdest tasting beer I have ever had**

A - Pale straw yellow with a thin white ring head.

S - Strong Oscar Mayer hot dog aroma with a hint of banana and clove.

T - Like drinking pureed hot dogs (not that I have ever had that). It tastes like a liquid hot dog. The hot dog drowns out any other flavors that might be there.

M - Light and crisp. Very nice for a wit.

D - Based on other reviews I have to imagine I got a bad bottle but I did have several other people sample this one and they all agreed. Another person came up with bologna. Liquid hot dogs or bologna are very unpleasant.

2.19/5  rDev -41%

Sorry, not my kind of brew....the lemmony taste is interesting but the cloudiness of this product is not appealing. Lingering after taste, almost bitter sweet leaves me wanting something else to cut the taste. Medium body with ample carbonation.

2.23/5  rDev -39.9%

Clear, light lemon peel yellow with minimal white head. Smells strongly of lemon. Sweet lemon zest and tart lemon with moldy belgian yeast and a bit of clove. I have to be honest this beer smells terrrible. The taste is only slightly better: light lemon-lime soft drink flavoring to go along a bit of wheat and yeast (not the same as the foul smelling stuff from the nose thank goodness), and a bit of spice to go along with it. Mouthfeel is light and watery, lacking the significant carbonation characterized by the style. Have to be honest; I was not expecting it but this was one of the worst beers I've had in a while. I hope for Victory's sake I simply got a bad bottle.

2.33/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours out clear straw color with no head at all. Lots of yeast sediment that stay suspended in the beer.

Smells like wheat, and artificial lemon flavoring.

The feel was very watery and somewhat flat. Overpowering lemon flavor with a note of celery. A little malt flavor and no hops to speak of.

This beer gets points for drinkability, because it was quenching and went down easy, but not very interesting, and not much dimension of flavor. I expected more from Victory since Hop Wollup is one of my new favorites.

2.43/5  rDev -34.5%

it poured light pale yellow almost white nice fluffy head stuck around

the smell was a little to much lemon even for this style, it had a funk that came up as I put the glass to my nose.

the taste was a stale wheat flavor with lite lemon flavor and an almost watered down aftertaste

not one of my favorites

2.49/5  rDev -32.9%

This is the oddest review I have posted. I am a big witbier fan, and also really enjoy Victory. I picked up a split 6 pack at Victory, and this was the 1st one I tried. I had to have a 2nd to confirm my initial thoughts.

Poured a cloudy, murky, dull pale gold with a quickly disappating 1/4" head of loose white clinging foam.

The nose is usually the best aspect of most wibiers. But this one..odd..familiar...lite sweetness...what is that? No. It can't be. Sniff again. Its...cured lunch meat...bologna to be specific. Whoa..

OK, so the nose is freaked, how about the taste? Unusually soft, some spice, light citrus, little peppery on the pallete, no...wait...not again....oh my God ....bologna! This is unreal. For what its worth it finished crisp.

This had to be a bad batch, If someone at Victory is reading this, please tell me some young brewdude screwed up a batch. You couldn't possibly have released this intentionally. I tried 2 bottles, and this is one of the worst tasting beers I have tried yet. Anyone want 4 Whirlywinds?

2.5/5  rDev -32.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

BEER NUMBER 100! Belgian wheats aren't my thing. I wait until I'm really drunk to drink it so I don't taste the nastiness. Those and saisons. I'm more DIPA and Stouts. But then why drink this if you don't like it you say? Because it's beer and it was in their summer variety pack, that's why. But their variety pack was underwhelming for Victory standards. GO Bills!!

2.62/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured into a tall wheat glass from a 12oz brown bottle with a crimped-on cap.

Very pale,hazy,straw color with a tall creamy white head falls a bit quickly to a coating. The carbination the same livey at first,but dies down quickly never looks flat at all though.

Delicate aromas mostly clove,some bannana with spicy yeast character.

Lots of clove in the taste,very grassy with some spice and yeast tastes. Tastes like a clove flavored water,just a bit light on taste for me.

Very light watery mouthfeel,almost like drinking water. Lacks taste to be drinkable for me. Not offensive in any way,just nothing to keep me interested. Would be a good starter beer for the ladies.

2.62/5  rDev -29.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

pours yellow and a bit cloudy. this is a white beer with a kick. i did not have this with lemon to tone it down, and it was just not for me. i am not a huge white beer fan, but the hacker-pschorr was much better

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown