Whirlwind Witbier | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

good
good
Read the review
Whirlwind WitbierWhirlwind Witbier

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

Reviews: 540 | Ratings: 931
4.08/5  rDev +10%

This beer pours with an initially aggressive head, which receeds rather quickly. It has a full mouth-feel, both from a relatively robust body (for this style) and from its ample carbonation.

Clean taste, with the typical wheat flavor throughout. Bit of a lemony tone. Clean aftertaste. No real taste flaws, but no outstanding or unique flavor profile either.

Overall, quite thirst-quenching and drinkable. You could certainly put down 2-3 of these before you realized it. Which I believe I will proceed to do....

2.93/5  rDev -21%

Just picked this one up today, been looking forward to trying some beer from Victory, this is my first.

Pours a pale yellow color, slight haze, not as much as other witbiers that I've had.

At first smell, it smells like ham. Wierd smell to get from a beer. I pick up some floral notes, but not a lot.

Taste: Very mild flavor, not the most flavor I have gotten from a Witbier. I pick up some banana and floral tastes in it, does not have much malty or hoppy taste, but I wasn't expecting that.

Overall an easily drinkable beer. I will finish the six pack that I bought, but probably won't buy another. I have had many better beers of this style.

4.15/5  rDev +11.9%

Had this as part of 2 5-glass samplers at the Victory Brewing Company in Downingtown, PA.

I would actually rate this higher than a lot of people in that I'm in a "Belgian-phase" right now and may have rose-colored glasses. My first witbier, I thought that even though the mouthfeel was flat, this witbier had a unique taste which intrigued me. I could very well see myself ordering a few.

3.68/5  rDev -0.8%

12oz poured into pint glass

A: Looks like carbonated pineapple juice, completely cloudy and hazed through, and the head disappeared

S: Wheat/yeast, citrus and grass notes

T: Wheat, yeast, citrus peel, a clean wit

M: A bit light bodied for a wit

Pretty yellow...

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

*12 oz bottle poured into a weizen glass.*

a: the beer is a pale yellow/gold color with some haziness caused by the bottle's sediment becoming suspended. good retention, little lacing.

s: this stuff smells of summertime (unfortunately it's january as i write this). wheat, lemon, spice... a very clean smelling ale.

t: it tastes of sweet, bready malt and citrus.

m: light, effervescent, slightly dry.

d: this beer goes down quickly. i'll buy it again when the weather becomes more conducive to witbier enjoyment.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

I thought I'd give this one a try after I noticed one of the local HB clubs had a clone contest for it. I figured it had to be special. The interesting thing about this wit is the spice kick. Can you say pepper? What a wonderful surprise to taste a sharp twang of pepper in a wit. While I am not sure they use pepper precisely, it is nice to see someone breaking away from the style barriers a bit to offer our palates something different from this great style. It had a steady citrus aroma coupled with a cloudy appearance. Overall this is a beer I will take a drive to find.

3.29/5  rDev -11.3%

suprisingly light in appearance and pours with a nice head that dissapates quickly. not much in the lacing department. tastes like lemon pepper, and smells plummy. makes my tounge tingle, so it has ample carbonation. decent attempt at the style but kind of a let down from victory. good beer to knock back on a hot day.

4.09/5  rDev +10.2%

This is one of the few seasonals I look forward to when summer approaches. It's complex and full bodied with great spices, e.g. coriander, but not heavy or sweet.

I've had it on tap at the brewery in Downington and can confidently say it's equally great in a bottle.

I just bought a case fearing the end of its summer distribution. Still solid with an 11/04/06 best by date.

Cheers!

3.5/5  rDev -5.7%

Appearance:
This beer came in a bottle. After pouring this beer into a clear glass, I noticed that it had a yellow glowing colour, which was a bit hazy with a healthy amount of carbonation and a 1 and a half finger head that disapated rapidly. A rather nice amount of lacing to report.

Aroma:
Medium hops smell with banana undertones.

Palate:
Very carbonated, dry and smooth.

Flavor:
Good. Banana sticks out as a dominant flavor.

Overall:
Very good on a warm spring day! Very good all around!

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured this beer from a 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. Poured hazy body with a very fine head. It presents itself with an almost fruity aroma, with a decent amount of spices. The taste is full of spice and a decent portion of malted wheat. There is very little presentation of any fruit flavor, which leads me to believe this beer was brewed with a Belgian yeast that induces a fruit characteristic, but no real fruit, which I am actually impressed with. This causes the beer to rest easy on your tongue and leave a lingering taste of spice and a good witbier.

Overall an excellent brew!

3.77/5  rDev +1.6%

Solid wheat beer from Victory. Classic cloudy gold color when poured from the bottle. Initial taste is crisp and clean taste with a hint of grass in the taste. Limited after taste. Great beer for the summer time after mowing the line. No reason not to go buy a six pack.

1.91/5  rDev -48.5%

Fan of Victory so I thought Id try this

A: Pours a deep yellow color with a lot of carbonation and a small, white head. Leaves a nice lacing on the glass

S: First smell I get is of the wheat and cloves, but the more I smell, the more it reminds me of a bologna sandwhich. I hope it doesnt taste like this

T: I should of known, it does taste exactly like bologna, which I do not like. There were no subtle flavors to tone it down either and I had a tough time finishing it. Watery bologna sandwhich is the perfect explanation for this one

M: Carbonation is nice and it is quite crisp

D: Not drinkable at all

I had trouble finishing this one, good thing I had a Miller Lite to wash it down. Miserable beer. I am very disappointed with Victory for this one. DONT BUY!!

3.67/5  rDev -1.1%

Poured bright golden yellow into a pint glass with a small head that fizzled away soon and swirls of cloudiness. The smell was nice and bready with yeasty fruits and a hint of spice. The taste though, was all cloves and spice. After that you can taste the yeast and wheat, but they really are eclipsed by the spice. Mouthfeel was good, creamy with a nice amount of carbonation and overall it's a nice quaff on a warm day with a hot dog. Not my favorite wit by any means though.

3.81/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Got this from the summer 12er. Okay, yes, i'm a Victory fanboy. I'll own it. But I like this beer. Slightly underrated here, IMHO. This is Golden Monkey light, if you know the brewery's offerings. Spicy and yeasty. Not my favorite style, but quality brew. Easy drinking.

3.58/5  rDev -3.5%

This is my first Witbier, so bare with me.

Poured a light gold color with a heavy haze, i had followed my assumptions and swirled before pouring. No head to speak of, but a light lace that stayed til the end. The smell reminded me of finished wood and farm fields. Initial taste was kind of grassy and even a bit of pine, which gave way to a slightly sweet, but mostly sour, citrus backing. A standard body, but with plenty of carbonation. Finished dry with the sourness lingering, very easy to drink. Definitly more interesting flavor-wise than the standard IPA's i'm used to. i'll have to pick up a few other brands to compare this to.

4.2/5  rDev +13.2%

A- yellow/pale gold, finger head that dissipates and leaves nice lacing

S- grassy, wheaty

t- wheaty, tad bit of hops.

m/d- mouthfeel was carbonated at first, but after it sits it becomes smoother. easy to drink, and stays that way when it warms up.

i like this beer, i have become partial to witbiers lately. i would recommend it for a hot day, or for when lounging and you want something simple yet enjoyable.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer poured with a big white head that dissapated in about three minutes ( clocked it ). Not as cloudy as some other Wits. The yeast was packed down pretty good in the bottle. I actually forgot this was bottle conditioned until I saw the sediment crust on the bottom of the bottle.

This is a really easy drinking brew. Not as tart as some of the traditional examples. Citrus hints, spicy, active, very easy going down. Most of the flavor was up front with the end being very clean.

I have a soft spot for the good people of Victory. As such, I will order this over imports more times than not. I think this brew is solid and can stand proud next to the others in the Victory Line-up.

4.03/5  rDev +8.6%

I am very impressed by this witbier. I'm not normally a fan of victory's super hop'd brews, especially in the summer, but this is a nice change of pace. The taste is smooth and refreshing, not the least bit tart like some other witbier. Defintely a gulper!

Very little head, maybe a quarter inch, which quickly faded. Served in a pint glass from a 12oz bottle.

4.32/5  rDev +16.4%

Draught.

Pours a medium-sized head that dissipates quickly. Hazy yellow color. Slight lacing. Banana and citrus aroma. Sweet citrus flavor. Reminiscent of Celis White and Hoegaarden White, but even fresher and better. Starts to lose its flavor after three weeks.

2.33/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours out clear straw color with no head at all. Lots of yeast sediment that stay suspended in the beer.

Smells like wheat, and artificial lemon flavoring.

The feel was very watery and somewhat flat. Overpowering lemon flavor with a note of celery. A little malt flavor and no hops to speak of.

This beer gets points for drinkability, because it was quenching and went down easy, but not very interesting, and not much dimension of flavor. I expected more from Victory since Hop Wollup is one of my new favorites.

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Looks pale and cloudy (I had to shake it up a bit first to incorporate the completely precipitated yeast). Nice head that dissipates too quickly.

Smells pretty typical, citrusy and pleasant. Not too strong.

The taste is a lot more peppery than I expected. Fairly full and not too watered down as many of the style are. I'd like it to be a bit fruitier.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full.

You could drink 100 of them if it tasted a little better.

Overall an okay beer. Not impressive by any standards especially for a Victory.

3.93/5  rDev +5.9%

Poured into a pint glass showing a almost pure yellow haze. Very light, white head that lasted all of a few seconds.

Aroma of zest and light spice. Little bit of hop too?

Nice balance of the zesty fruit, spices, and hops. Nothing was overpowering and it all seemed to just fall into place. Very nice for the warmer spring and summer days. I was paired beautifully with the BBQ chicken I grilled and the potatoes.

Not as carbonated as expected. Light and bubbly, medium body. Nice finish with the citrus trailing off for a few seconds after swallowing, kind of begging for another sip. Easy to drink, especially sitting outside on a nice day.

Good Wit Beer. One of the better I've sampled, looking forward to more after this one.

3.38/5  rDev -8.9%

I love witbiers and I am a fan of Victory brews, especially the Prima Pils. This however, did not meet my expectations.
It poured a nice color, with a nice cloudiness, not much head or pronounced aroma. I did not get much of a yeast taste, nor overly pronounced citrus flavors. It seemed to be a watered down version of the witbiers I enjoy.

3.43/5  rDev -7.5%

So here's a review of a beer, probably improperly stored for at least 6 months at a local package liquor store.

A: Pours a hazy straw with a rapidly disappearing pale ivory colored head of about 1/2 finger.

S: Wheat, coriander, slight citrusy tones and some Belgian lists.

T: Bananas hit first with a wheaty muskiness. The carbonation is crisp and helps cut through an otherwise medium bodies brew. Cloves follow. Not so much citrusy as straight-up lemony. Leave is sweet with a short-lived yeastiness.

Overall: I'm not a huge fan of wits but this one is good and exceptionally good on a hot June afternoon. If this is an older beer as others in this batch have been it doesn't seem to have suffered any from improper storage.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

A: Pale yellow, slightly hazy against the light - with visible small particles floating. Lively white head that dissipates quickly.

S: On-point for what I expected: Belgian yeast and wheat.

T: Hard to describe as anything but "subdued wit". Aftertaste of pasteurized orange juice.

M: Very watery, the initial hit of carbonation is very refreshing, but then it all goes away.

O: A good thirst quencher for a very hot day, but not on par with other brews from Victory. Reminded me of Vedett Extra White, minus the atmosphere of Café Belga in Ixelles (which adds a +5 to any beer)

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown