Whirlwind Witbier | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

good
good
Read the review
Whirlwind WitbierWhirlwind Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

Reviews: 541 | Ratings: 933
4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

The appearance was golden hazy yellow. I swirled the yeast around about midway through the pour because it was attached to the bottom of the bottle. This made it really hazy. Thick white head that dissipated pretty darn quick, not much lacing left when it was gone. The smell was spicy, perhaps cloves. The taste was spicy as well, again I got a clove taste right away. Some fruitiness in the background, a bit citrus like. Mouthfeel was a bit this for my taste. Too little body for me, but defiantly crisp. Perhaps if it wasn't 6 degrees outside right now I'd appreciate the light body and crispness more. Drinkability was good. As I said, I'm going to drink this again when it warms up and I'm not in winter stout drinking mode. All in all, an excellent Wit though.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Mmmmm...Victory sure knows how to make a good brew...this offering presented the nice cloudiness assocaited with this type. Smell was nice and citrusy, with a mellow tone. Taste was extremely nice...citrus...wheat...in a beautiful balance. Well rounded in mouthfeel, with a crisp citrus quality that was extremely refreshing...right upn there with Paulaner.

4.35/5  rDev +17.3%

Poured a hazy golden color with a thin head that receded to the rim. The aroma is very floral, with strongs notes of citrus and spice. This is an extremely crisp and refreshing beer. The coriander and bitterness that is noted by the tongue is followed by a slight sourness after swallowing. The citrus flavor provides a nice balance. The spice lingers on the tongue for quite a bit. Extremely drinkable, as several can be enjoyed without getting bored. One of my favorites in this style.

4.34/5  rDev +17%

This is a wow witbier. Cloudy yellow with tendencies toward something darker, more orange. The head is a little flat, though. There's a good flowery perfume aroma. Soft citrus, light coriander come up front wiht a good dry wheat in the finish. This is a little heftier than the supposed style stalwart, Hoegaarden, but the soft, almost creamy mouthfeel makes this a surprisingly satisfying beer without being heavy. Tasty beer.

3.3/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. brown bottle. Freshness date stamped on label.

Very cloudy yellow gold with an ample white head that quickly dissipates. Minimal lacing present. Aroma heavy with citrus, spice, plum, and clove. Taste is heavy with refreshing lemon up front which turns to a gentle spice and fades into a clean light citric finish. Pleasantly carbonated with a light mouthfeel.

A refreshing thirst-quenching albeit a rather plain Wit. Nothing all that special, but one worth a taste.

3.62/5  rDev -2.4%

I start off my beer tasting awaiting the arrival of Hurricane Isabel, and I thought this the most appropriate beer to kick it off with.

12 oz. bottle with a "enjoy by date" of 9/28/2003, so I'm having this towards the tail end of its guaranteed freshness. Served chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: Pale cloudy yellow topped by a modest head of foam. Very tight bubbles. Little head retention and not lacing to speak of.

Smell: Sour lemon taste, slight hints of pepper and coriander. Taste is very ephemeral. No aftertaste at all.

Mouthfeel: Very light bodied, just like it should be. I think I've had water with more body than this.

Drinkability: The 6 pack I purchased will not live to see the "drink by" date, let me tell you what. I'll definitely give this one a shot the next time it's released. If it's quite good a few weeks shy of possibly being stale, I'd love to see what it would be closer to its release.

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

After having many a Victory beer in the past, I came
upon the Whirlwind this summer. I consider myself a
Witbier fan, and this isn't bad (really, nothing from
Victory is), but at the same time, I was disappointed.

The appearence was somewhat cloudy, but not where it
should have been (I don't think the establishment I
had it in properly treats the kegs of wheat-based
beers they keep, so this could be part of the problem,
and should be noted in this review). The color was
more of a golden reflected color, than a "wit white,"
and, in tasting, it had very strong lemon overtones. Coriander was
missing, as well as the orange usually found.

This is not a bad Wit, but not a great one. I will try
this again (probably in the bottle) to see if it was
the presentation and handling of the keg, or the beer
itself. For now though, not impressed.

3.97/5  rDev +7%

This is one of my picks of the summer brews. It pours rather cloudy, and it very pale straw in color. Very slight head. The citrus taste is very clearly present. The fragrance is also rather citrus-like with somewhat of a yeasty nose as well. There is a somewhat tart spicyness to it, and for some reason I think of grapefruit as I drink it. There was noticable sediment in the bottom (which I do pour in my glass and welcome it!) This beer is a bit thin in the mouthfeel, but while that may not be a strong point, it does make it a very easy drinking summer brew.

3.47/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz brown, longneck bottle, capped. Best By date on label.

This witbier poured a hazy, yellow color with creamy, very white foam that dissipated rapidly and left no lace. The smell was dominated by citrus (lemon) with a very mild banana/clove aroma and a very faint hint of bubblegum esters. The taste was fairly sour, with the citrus flavor strong but with wheat and some hints of spices (coriander), and very low hop presence. The mouthfeel was tart and lemony with medium-light body and low carbonation feel. The aftertaste was tangy and spicy. This was a light and refreshing beer, but a bit sour and a bit thin.

4.1/5  rDev +10.5%

Cloudy peach with a bubbly, white head. Sparse notes of lace remain, while active carbonation is present. Nose is appealing with the obvious notes of yeast, coriander, and freshly peeled orange rind. Flavors of citrus, yeast, and coriander all come in to play as expected, yet the spiciness is well done. Finish is a bit thin and vaguely acidic. Mouthfeel is soft and lightly carbonated. This wit is extremely refreshing and drinkable. An excellent summertime offering from Victory, I wish I had more than one bottle.

3.87/5  rDev +4.3%

Poured a hazy/cloudy yellow body with a small fine white head.

The nose was extremely inviting. Bananna, clove, phenols, some apple peel, fruit, hints of orange, alomst some soft soft pepper, and a touch of earthy hops.

The taste was dominated by a soft bananna and bananna peel mixed with wheat. Medium bodied. Very highly carbonated. Almost no bitterness at all. A very soft earth hop touch. A pure natural citrus taste. Not a peel taste, more like eating a fresh orange that has no bite what so ever. All the time very mellow and smooth.

It ends soft and fruity with just a slight bitter touch.

Overall it's just nice very drinkable Wit. Really a perfect middle of the road easy drinking beer. Much more on target with aiming at belgians than the Golden Monkey.

3.95/5  rDev +6.5%

The beer poured with a big white head that dissapated in about three minutes ( clocked it ). Not as cloudy as some other Wits. The yeast was packed down pretty good in the bottle. I actually forgot this was bottle conditioned until I saw the sediment crust on the bottom of the bottle.

This is a really easy drinking brew. Not as tart as some of the traditional examples. Citrus hints, spicy, active, very easy going down. Most of the flavor was up front with the end being very clean.

I have a soft spot for the good people of Victory. As such, I will order this over imports more times than not. I think this brew is solid and can stand proud next to the others in the Victory Line-up.

3.4/5  rDev -8.4%

All I can say is "eh". In some ways this was a major disappointment. All of the other Victory brews I've tried have been spectacular. This was simply average. However, average for Victory is pretty good. Cloudy appearance. Poured a foamy head that disippated. Yeasty, peppery aroma. Lemony, spicy flavory, but not that strong. Light, brisk mouthfeel. A good Summertime brew, there are better Witbiers out there.

3.63/5  rDev -2.2%

Probably the least spectacular of the Victory's beers, this is still pretty good. You figure they had to make an easy to drink, lighter-tasting beer just as a matter of being well-rounded.

Whirlwind is pretty windy, alright. In fact, if you stood in a wheat field and opened your mouth, it'd be a dead ringer. I don't know what else to say... it's good, but it doesn't quite run with the rest of the Victory family.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

A nice beer I just find it a little dry for my taste. Poured with a nice fluffy white head and color was a hazy yellow. The smell is of dry wheat and earthiness with a hint of pepper and zest. Tasted initially like a hefe with the addition spices but was much to dry to the mouth. While the foreshadowing spice flavor is dry I wish there was tad bit more sweet malt flavor to this brew but not cloyingly sweet. Although not bad by any means could be much better.

3.64/5  rDev -1.9%

Pours a cloudy pale orange with a modestly sized hoary head, which recedes quickly to the rim. Aroma is of sweet citrus and clove with a very pronounced tartness. The body is light and initially has a touch of malt sweetness balanced nicely with a very fruity tartness. This lingers on the tongue into the aftertaste, and is joined by a sweet, subtle, slightly peppery spiciness.

This isn't as amazing as many of the beers from Victory, but it has character and is a nice refresher for a hot summer night like this one.

3.45/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Very bubbly, carbonated and thin bodied Wit with a soft fading head. The aroma is very citrusy with coriander and orange peel. Taste is bubbly almost like champagne or more like a mimosa. It's an OK interpretation of the style, but there are better ones out there. There just doesn't seem to be oomph that most Victory beers have and this is one that is at almost all beer festivals.. thirst quenching yes.. highly drinkable so-so. Better on tap.

3.88/5  rDev +4.6%

Thanks to francisweizen for this one. It pours a cloudy color with a 1/2 inch white head. The nose is clean and crisp. It is somewhat citrus-like. The flavor has the slight sourness that I'd expect in a Wit beer, but with the crispness that seals the deal.

3.7/5  rDev -0.3%

I thought I'd give this one a try after I noticed one of the local HB clubs had a clone contest for it. I figured it had to be special. The interesting thing about this wit is the spice kick. Can you say pepper? What a wonderful surprise to taste a sharp twang of pepper in a wit. While I am not sure they use pepper precisely, it is nice to see someone breaking away from the style barriers a bit to offer our palates something different from this great style. It had a steady citrus aroma coupled with a cloudy appearance. Overall this is a beer I will take a drive to find.

4.05/5  rDev +9.2%

This beer poured a beautiful straw yellow color with a small sticky white head. The sediment is not visible whatsoever. The smell is full of banana and I thought i caught some black pepper in the background. The taste is very smooth and easy drinking, kind of sweet and surpisingly strong with banana, and a crisp finish that left me smacking my lips. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium carbonation. I could drink these all summer if they weren't so expensive. One of my favorite wits along, right behind Hoegaarden.

3.75/5  rDev +1.1%

Very Hazy Color in bottle or when poured into a glass.
Somewhat of a fluffy head with retention to it.
It had more a spicey or lemony taste with a dry finish, nothing with the sweetness you may get from some, but like franzikaner, more spice.
Very good after a long day of work, I could polish off a case given the chance, mild and very recomended, enjoy

4.3/5  rDev +15.9%

Had a pint of this on tap at a local bar and must say I was very pleased with it. I had bought a case of Whirlwind bottles in May, and found them to be satisfactory, but having a freshly pulled pint was much better. The beer pours a deep golden color, with a very thin fluffy white head. Seems to have less haze/ clouds than other witbiers, but definitely unfiltered. Spice is present, but not oeverwhelming. I tasted good floral notes, and a prescence of orange, complexed by some spice. I assume it to be the typical corriander/clove mix, but it felt restrained somehow. Some sweetness, perhaps vanilla also. Because of the complexity, I found it to be incredibly drinkable, and very refreshing. A nice switch from say hoegaarden, if only for its unique spice character. A great summer beer.

4.55/5  rDev +22.6%

I had this on tap at Victory. It is a fine, cloudy yellow-golden color in the glass. Decent white, fluffy head. There is a somewhat spicy aroma. The corriander comes through. Many flavors come to the taste buds. It is very rich and full. An excellent example of the style. Not quite up to Hoegaarden or the Allagash, but still superb!

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Though I am big fan of Victory, I think Great Lakes Brewing Co's Summer Seasonal, "Holy Moses" set such a precedent for Belgian style wheat beers, for my taste buds anyhow, that while I couldn't wait to try these guys witbier, I was not super crazy about the interpretation. To me the beer seemed to lean way too heavy on the ORANGE! I mean, that's the main thing I tasted here-like orange juice was added. I think I prefer a drier, more subtle example such as Gray's witbier or, of course, Holy Moses. I bet this would be spectacular however, with an order of teryaki sea bass!! Decent beer, but not my personal style.

4.27/5  rDev +15.1%

The beer is a very, very light yellow - almost white. There's no head to speak of. Smells fantastic. Spicy and lemon scented, like a good white. Tastes chewy. A very nice wit.. clean, of course. Not too complex, but simple and too the point. Very enjoyable and drinkable.

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown