Welcome to BeerAdvocate!

Looking to talk, rate or trade beer? Join today by creating your free account.

Love Belgian Beer?

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Whirlwind Witbier | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

YOUR RATING = None |
good
good
Read the review
Whirlwind WitbierWhirlwind Witbier

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States | website

Style: Witbier

Availability: Summer

Added by BeerAdvocate on 08-03-2001

Reviews: 540 | Ratings: 931
3.15/5  rDev -15.1%

pours a light yellow color with pure white head. not very cloudy even after making sure to get all the yeast in there. smell is of belgian spice and that slightly musty aroma that comes from Hoegaarden. taste is heavy on lemon-like citrus and tastes very much of the wheat. less spicey than many belgian whites. It's almost like an American Wheat with some lemon added in. It's decent, but nothing spectacular.

3.15/5  rDev -15.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Looks pale and cloudy (I had to shake it up a bit first to incorporate the completely precipitated yeast). Nice head that dissipates too quickly.

Smells pretty typical, citrusy and pleasant. Not too strong.

The taste is a lot more peppery than I expected. Fairly full and not too watered down as many of the style are. I'd like it to be a bit fruitier.

Mouthfeel is smooth and full.

You could drink 100 of them if it tasted a little better.

Overall an okay beer. Not impressive by any standards especially for a Victory.

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%

A - Big fuzzy foam cap, slight golden body. Mildly hazy - probably not enough to style.

A - Blast of lemon, slightest hint of continental malts. No coriander or white pepper, thank Christ.

T - Sharp lemon. Sharp Lemon. And a hint of... Sharp lemon. Nothing else? Where's that classic Victory malt bent.

M - Lean. I know this style is all about light and fluffy, but I am after beer, not lemon soda.

O - Wishing more Vienna malt was on scene. I am glad some of the more potent Witbier spices were restrained. And this is probably a blue-ribbon-worthy thrist-quencher on swamp-ass summer days. But it was a bit offensive towards the end. They say, life gives you lemons, make lemonade. Same, I think might begin to apply to Victory's Whirlwind Wit.... this would go great with sugar and water.

3.16/5  rDev -14.8%

A - Cloudy yellow, bubbly, very little head, no lacing

S - smelled like a pilsner (way to trow my taste buds off!)

T - very subtle citrus, very light tasting wheat beer

M - very light, carbonated but not too much

O - very light witbier, overall tasty but not overwhelming

3.17/5  rDev -14.6%

Picked up a 6-pack of this Victory offering at Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora. The 12oz bottle's label had a best before date of 03.20.09 so it's pretty fresh for having made the jaunt cross-country. Used a witbier glass.
Appearance was not the normal hazy pale yellow; this was a nearly-clear golden color. No discernable head or lacing to speak of. Large bubbles of carbonation rose from the botom of the glass but couldn't support any kind of a head.
Smell was fruity with a decent, albeit not very potent, level of coriander, clove and peppery spice.
Taste: huh? Okay, where did this slightly peat-like smoky flavor come from? Whirlwind Wit started off normal enough with some straw-like malts and fruitiness followed by the mild flavors of clove and coriander. But then this odd smoky taste comes through which just doesn't fit.
The feel was more leaning toward the medium-bodied and was somewhat slick.
To me, Whirlwind Wit misses the mark as to getting dialed in to the style. Yes, it has some of the characteristics of the style, but the feel and especially that smokiness are too much of a distraction. Drinkable; yes. Quaffable; not so much.

3.17/5  rDev -14.6%

Poured into a weizen glass, actually. Out of style, but I just got the glass and wanted to use it.

A - Poured a light, cloudy yellow with a thin, bright white head. Carbonation looks light to moderate.

S - Yeast is immediately noticeable, as is some light orange and spice, which, though I can't really say for sure, I'd guess to be some coriander.

T - On the first sip the coriander is way stronger than it was in the nose. The wheat and orange peel follow up in the end. They give a sort of bitterness to it. The spices just seem a little heavy to me. I'd like to see more of a dominant wheat flavor.

MF - Pretty thin with some carbonation to liven things up and give it a crisp-ness. Goes down easily and fits the weather nicely.

D - Not bad. I could easily have a view of these. The only thing that would hold me back would be the excessive spicing. Then again, I don't drink wits all that often, so it might be that I just need to be reacquainted with the spice character. I picked up a single for $2 to give it a whirl(ha....I guess). Not bad, but in my opinion it doesn't stack up to Hoegaarden.

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%

Hazy yellow ochre color with a head that's as big as a Golden Monkey. Laces in flat sheets. Yeasty aroma, some notes of estery lemon and allspice. Pretty thick and carbonated mouthfeel , makes the swallow unsettling to me. There are some fruity flavors mid mouth, peach predominantly, but rather than a clean finish, there is a flattening -- despite the carbonation. OK, not a favorite in an already not-very favorite style for me.

3.18/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

(A)- Pours a light and pale yet hazy yellow color. Produced a nice cap of frothy white foam that stuck around for awhile before dissipating. Some good lacing left behind too.

(S)- A very dry and chalky aroma overall. Bits of a grainy wheat meet a dense yeast and subtle lemon citrus notes.

(T)- A nice crisp body to it with focus on the wheat and yeast characters. Subtle bitterness with lemon.

(M)- A good carbonation level with a nice crisp and smooth feel. The balance is definitely focused on the malt and grain bill, which lends nicely to let some of the lemon citrus to speak up here and there in the mouthfeel.

(O)- Its a good witbier, but there are simply far superior beers out there for the style.

3.19/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Truncated notes; my apologies:

Pours a finger-wide cap of white colour, which recedes within 4-5 minutes, leaving light lacing. Body colour is a surprisingly clear yellow-copper; why isn't this cloudy?

Smells of wheat, Belgian pale malts, and citrusy esters. No off-notes are detectable.

Has a simple wheat base with clean estery notes and a hint of banana. Lemon peel does make an appearance. The Belgian yeast is nice. It's estery for a witbier. It's balanced albeit simple, and doesn't have much in terms of subtlety. I like it, but there's plenty of room for more complexity and intricacy.

Mouthfeel is clean, smooth, crisp, refreshing, and wet, but not incredible. It suits the taste fine but doesn't elevate the beer as a whole.

This is a drinkable witbier from Victory which will scratch your itch for the style but won't impress. I'm glad this's widely available and affordable, but it's not amongst the best in the style. I wouldn't mind seeing it in a variety box in the future, but I wouldn't buy it specifically again in 6 pack form or anything. Fairly pedestrian, but definitely above average.

C+

3.19/5  rDev -14%

A deep yellow color, looked like apple juice... or pee maybe... There was a thin and shortly lived white head that made a brief appearance in the glass.

Smelled of yeast and hops.

Tasted of yeast, the hops were slightly skunky.

Very crisp and refreshing, went down smooth.

Not a bad beer, average by my estimation. I wouldn't be opposed to drinking it again, but not more than one or two; and if other options were available I'd go for them.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Though I am big fan of Victory, I think Great Lakes Brewing Co's Summer Seasonal, "Holy Moses" set such a precedent for Belgian style wheat beers, for my taste buds anyhow, that while I couldn't wait to try these guys witbier, I was not super crazy about the interpretation. To me the beer seemed to lean way too heavy on the ORANGE! I mean, that's the main thing I tasted here-like orange juice was added. I think I prefer a drier, more subtle example such as Gray's witbier or, of course, Holy Moses. I bet this would be spectacular however, with an order of teryaki sea bass!! Decent beer, but not my personal style.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

12 oz bottle that I picked up to try, indicates that I should enjoy by Oct 06 06, poured into a weissen glass

A—pours hazy sunshine yellow with little specks suspended in the liquid, a very thin fizzy bright white head coats the top and stays there, moderate lacing is produced

S—yeast, spicy, some banana and vanilla, bready and a little perfume fragrance as well

T---the perfume taste is strongest, it flowery potpourri in my mouth, different and interesting, some spice and banana as well.

M—smooth and light, light bodied, medium carbonation

D—a little too flowery for me, but a nice change of pace for the summer, I suppose. Doubt I would have it again due to the perfume notes.

3.2/5  rDev -13.7%

Poured light gold with minimal haziness. Couldn't really smell too much but some subtle citrus hints.

The first reaction to the palate was primarily rich in spices and zest with a slightly bitter, wheaty reaction following. The acidity from the fruits seemed almost overboard - but that just my opinion. I didn't know what to think of the taste. Wasn't estatic over it, but wasn't bad either.

The mouthfeel was very smooth and a hair light, perfect for the summer. A very refreshing brew. Probably would be good with some seafood or something Asian...?

3.21/5  rDev -13.5%

Appearance: I always like the look of a nice hazed-golden Belgian wheat style beer. This beer holds true to that look and feel in a glass. No head retention, just a thin ring around the inside of the glass...a bit disappointing.

Smell: a weak, sweet, wheat scent with hints of banana and caramel mixed with spice. Nothing to really brag about.

Taste: wheat is the most prominent and a caramel fruit texture sits softly on the tongue. Sweetened bananas/lemons come thru a bit paired with a clove/cinnamon spice ...very mild however. A bit thin overall and a slight watery finish.

Mouthfeel/drinkability: goes down smooth and easy but lacks in overall complexity. In my capacity for understanding Belgian style brews this is a fairly average attempt. But Victory brewing still has my vote...I like their brews! Whirlwind is "worth a try" in my book!

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%

12 oz. brown bottle no fresh date, pours a cloudy lemon yellow color. A white head that melts fast to a thin ring of white bubbles in the glass. Aroma like a sour fruit salad, lemon, apples, grapes, banana.Malted wheat, pepper, clove, and yeast smells as well. Thin on the palate with a light fruity sweetness. Very faint malt taste with flavors of lemon zest and cinnamon. No hop bitterness or aftertaste, clean and refreshing. Spicy but not overpowering. Nice wit.

Cheer!

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

After having many a Victory beer in the past, I came
upon the Whirlwind this summer. I consider myself a
Witbier fan, and this isn't bad (really, nothing from
Victory is), but at the same time, I was disappointed.

The appearence was somewhat cloudy, but not where it
should have been (I don't think the establishment I
had it in properly treats the kegs of wheat-based
beers they keep, so this could be part of the problem,
and should be noted in this review). The color was
more of a golden reflected color, than a "wit white,"
and, in tasting, it had very strong lemon overtones. Coriander was
missing, as well as the orange usually found.

This is not a bad Wit, but not a great one. I will try
this again (probably in the bottle) to see if it was
the presentation and handling of the keg, or the beer
itself. For now though, not impressed.

3.22/5  rDev -13.2%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck, best by date printed on the label.

Appearance: Yellowish white, cloudy. Thin head fades very quickly.

Smell: Yeasty and a bit of spice. Also some citrus.

Taste: Flavor is domintaed by the yeast characteristics .. a bit of peppery flavor in the finish. Some banana and clove flavor.

Overall impression: Decent wit - plenty drinkable, but certainly not the most interesting I've tried.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Looks like grapefruit juice. A thin white head initially, but it's soon gone; however bubbles fill the sides of the glass.

There is a sweetness in the nose, but I can't identify it.

Wheat and flowery hops dance on the tongue, and I think there might be honey in the background.

with all the bubbles, there is a cleansing mouthfeel.

This is a light-bodied beer that is easy to drink. Not a great cold-weather beer, but nice for warm temperatures.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

L: Pours a bright yellow color with a medium sized and medium bodied white colored head that took some time to settle and laced the glass on the way down.
S: The smell is of sweet toasted malts, orange, and coriander.
T: The taste is the same as the aroma which is good. It is a sweet toasted malt base underneath orange and coriander flavors.
M: Very light and refreshing.
D: OK drinkability. A very decent witbier.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

A nice beer I just find it a little dry for my taste. Poured with a nice fluffy white head and color was a hazy yellow. The smell is of dry wheat and earthiness with a hint of pepper and zest. Tasted initially like a hefe with the addition spices but was much to dry to the mouth. While the foreshadowing spice flavor is dry I wish there was tad bit more sweet malt flavor to this brew but not cloyingly sweet. Although not bad by any means could be much better.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

A- Hazy golden yellow color with a finger of thick white creamy head. Lace sticks very prominently to the glass as a constant stream of bubbles can be seen rising to the top.

S- Hints of clove and lemon make a quick appearance in the nose with a complimenting bread and yeast character. With the fruity smell there was also an accompanying mild tart note. Malty smell prevails throughout the beer with a spicy slightly peppery finish that is most likely a combination of the coriander and yeast products. The smell is a bit diluted in my opinion and lacks some of the boldness of a great witbier.

T- The clove phenols make a very brief appearance with the slightest hint of bubblegum before being whisked away in favor of a lemon and malt forward middle with only slight traces of it noticeable in the background. Middle of the beer also introduces more of the bread character as well. The taste ends in a rather dull spicy and low bitterness of the coriander.

M- Medium light body with slightly creamy carbonation that smooths out each sip. Slightly dry finish.

O- Nothing too special about this beer, only thing that really stands out is my constantly wanting more from the beer whether it be flavor or smell. Really lacked the strong yeast characteristics that the style is known for and left me quite bored.

12 oz. bottle

Pours a hazy, peachy yellow body with a fairly weak white head that dissipates very quickly. Did not leave any lacing in my glass.

Smells of citrus rind, lemon peel, little bit of yeast, a splash of peppery spices. Not too impressed.

Tastes of light citrus fruits, pretty strong on the lemon flavor. Hint of oranges as well. Nothing too complicated here. Earthy finish, grassy. A tiny splash of sourness precedes the grassy finish.

Mouthfeel is very light, leaves a slight metallic aftertaste on my palate. But it lacks "body" and it feels very watery. It's very drinkable on the other hand, as well as thirst-quenching.

It's by no means a bad beer, it's just lacking. I found it too be a little too watery and somewhat bland. On the upside though, it was very refreshing and drinkable.

3.23/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance - Clear yellow with a frothy white head.

Aroma - Banana, clove, and coriander.

Mouthfeel - fizzy carbonation, very thin.

Taste - Banana upfront, with some clove in the middle, that finishes with banana.

Overall - Very drinkable. However, I was expecting some orange zest as this is supposed to be a Belgian Wit but I could not detect any. It would have scored a little higher if it had detectable orange in the aroma and taste.

3.25/5  rDev -12.4%

A: Poured a lemon-cough drop cloudy color, 1 finger pillowy head disappeared quickly.

S: Fantastically citric, pumpkin spice, ginger, cinnamon. Remind me of Troeg's Dreamweaver Wheat, but probably just because I've had that so much previously.

T: Different, from the smell though I thought it would be like Dreamweaver, it wasn't. To me, the taste didn't appear until the swallow and aftertaste, and not at the first contact. Brisk orange, earthy, slightly herbal, faintly Ricola.

M: Tantalizing, but with out the follow up in the taste. Pringly, mild carbonation, medium bodied.

D: Warm weather beer. A good beer to have in the fridge amongst the offerings for the acquired taste. This is the beer for the girlfriend to have.

3.29/5  rDev -11.3%

suprisingly light in appearance and pours with a nice head that dissapates quickly. not much in the lacing department. tastes like lemon pepper, and smells plummy. makes my tounge tingle, so it has ample carbonation. decent attempt at the style but kind of a let down from victory. good beer to knock back on a hot day.

Whirlwind Witbier from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown