Winter Cheers | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: Hefeweizen

A wheat ale, combining German wheat and barley malts, oats, torrified wheat and whole flower Tettnang and Citra hops, this fruity and warming holiday brew delivers a refreshing finish, with spicy hints of banana, clove and citrus.

Added by rab53 on 10-14-2013

3.7

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

3.25/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.69/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.93/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

3.21/5  rDev -13.2%

Pour in weizen glass
Pale golden color, hazy but,not as cloudy as expected from a heffe. Moderate fluffy near white head. Moderate carbonation
smells of mild yeast, some phenol, very light hop. Definitely a wheat brew.
taste- wheat beer with notes of lemon, no banana or bubblegum, lightly hoppy finish.
feel- well I believe I am used to a chewier heffe. Slightly fizzy, but not astringent.
over all... hummm... perhaps it's not a heffe, closer to a golden ale. and surprisingly to me, missing anything that would claim a winter title, be it a warmer, or winter seasonal. It is nice. missing spice that aren't directly yeast or hop related. Nice wheat beer, but not anything else.

4.63/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Awesome, straightforward, real deal hefeweizen coming from Victory here. Semi-opaque, pinky head holding golden ale.

Smell coming out the bottle is straight Bavarian yeast. The taste fits that description perfectly - this is a classic take on a German staple beer.

Medium-low carbonation, nice ability to hide that alcohol content which is uncharacteristically for this style. A very pleasing beer, and I love the fact that it is branded as a winter hefeweizen. It indeed warms you up and doesn't have that cooler, cool you down after a summer day feeling that many hefeweizens carry. This is a cool beer and a unique one too. I always love Victory's beers!

Great banana, coriander, clove flavor. Not getting as much citrus but it is excellent.

4.73/5  rDev +27.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Yellow gold color, thin head with decent lacing, it smells a lot more single noted than it tastes, bright munich yeast. Delicious, bavarian clove banana, EXACTLY what you are looking for in a hefe, with a hidden percentage and a tinge of citrus. The feel is medium-bodied with medium-high carbonation in my opinion, though my fiancé begs to differ. To me, this beer can go either way, summer or winter. Very happy he was able to find and bring this one home to me. :)

4.12/5  rDev +11.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A: Hazy pale gold with a modest head.
S: Nice hefe aroma, on the phenolic side.
T: Yep, this is a yeast that tends more toward the phenols than the esters. Very spicy, clovey notes, though it doesn't disappoint on the fruit. Bitterness is low, but there is some pleasant hop flavor that gives hints of citrus.
M: Lots of carbonation, a bit more body than a typical hefe.
O: Quite decent beer! I'm going to enjoy this six pack a lot.

3.98/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Bottle at 55° poured into a Chimay goblet.

Look - golden, sightly hazy, with a white head that quickly thins but never dissipates.

Smell - lemony with a hint of spice, maybe white pepper and cardamom. It reminds me of a Belgian golden ale.

Taste - like the aroma, lemony and peppery with a backing of spice, and a depth of flavor that I associate with Belgian yeast. It again reminds of a Belgian ale. Initially slightly bland, the flavors quickly emerge as it warms - my impression improves with every sip.

Feel - delightfully effervescent with a nice mouthfeel.

Overall - a very solid, if not amazing, take on the Belgian light golden ale. While a wheat ale, I feel the wheat is relegated to the background. If I closed my eyes, I'd swear I was drinking a beer straight out of Belgium.

I feel the Winter Cheers moniker does this beer a disservice as it creates expectations that run contrary to what the beer is. Instead of a winter beer with the associated winter spices - nutmeg, cinnamon, star anise, clove, etc. - it's a solid year-round Belgian pale/golden ale.

Victory, rename it Cheers from Brussels and you'll have yourselves a solid year-round offering.

3.99/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had another great day at work, probably signifying that I am going to be let go at the first opportunity. The best part was that as a B&N Bookseller, I am getting a whopping discount during the holidays. I just bought 1001 Beers to Try Before You Die and the latest update of Stephen Beaumont & Tim Webb's Encyclopedia of Beer and now, I want to drink a beer & do some reading. Cheers!

From the bottle: "A Victory for your taste"; "Chase Winter's Chill with this celebratory Wheat Ale. Luscious notes of fruit and spice make Winter Cheers the perfect brew to fuel festive time and taste Victory! Brewmasters' Approval [undersigned] Bill [&] Ron".

I have a very nice V-20 pint glass standing by for this beer, so all that remains is the Pop!ping of the cap & I can get things started. We are still approximately two weeks away from the official start of Winter 2016-'17, but I am only going to hold off on my Christmas beers until Christmas. Winter bites enough as it is without having to wait for it to arrive. Plus, it is more like Winter than Fall anyway. I am not sure that it is actually a Hefeweizen as opposed to a Witbier or well, never mind. Over three years on this site with no updates tells me something. My heavy handed pour caused the formation of three-plus fingers of dense, foamy, bone-white head that resembled soft-serve vanilla ice cream. The head retention was so fabulous that I began to contemplate sending out for ice cream. Color was a hazy Straw-Yellow (SRM = > 2, < 4). Nose had a definite citrus bent, like grapefruit rind, orange peel and a light clove & black pepper bite. Witbier? Just asking. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was more spicy than banana, suggestive of coriander or even something in the yeast. I got a light banana flavor on the extreme finish, but prior to that, it was very spicy with undertones of citrus. Finish was dry, mainly thanks to its spiciness. If this truly is a Hefeweizen, I am very impressed! I usually disdain the style because of its emphasis on banana esters, but this was very good. I will inquire of Mr. Covaleski & report back.

4.28/5  rDev +15.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev +3.5%

Poured from a bottle into a shaker pint glass.

L: Pours a nice hazy golden color with a lot of festive effervescence. Slight whitish head and faint, pleasant lacing.

S: All I got on the nose was yeast. The aroma was the most disappoint aspect of this beer.

T: The flavor is very solid--not overly spiced like so many winter/holiday brews. A little sweet malt and some tropical notes. Maybe a little coriander or cinnamon.

F: Light- to medium-bodied and on the drier side.

O: It's certainly not my favorite of the type. While many overdo the spice, this one incorporates too little, and the result is that it reminds me of a summer beer, but it's still fairly solid. I would probably buy it again.

3.46/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.62/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

L: Poured from a bottle to a weizen glass. Had a pale yellow color and a cloudy consistency. There was a large foamy, bright white, long-lasting head. Very good lacing.

S: A fair, somewhat underwhelming aroma of wheat , fruit, and some spices.

T: Tasted of some of the typical hefeweizen fruits (banana, of course), a little bit of citrus (lemon), spices (coriander, cloves), a bit of wheat, and some malt as well. Certainly not a bad flavor, but it seems a little on the thin side. Not as vibrant as other hefeweizens, but decent enough.

F: A good amount of carbonation with a smooth, if a little watery finish. Light-bodied.

O: On the whole this is a drinkable beer, in spite of its flaws. Could have been better, though.

3.5/5  rDev -5.4%

3.84/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.96/5  rDev +7%

Another tasty brew from Victory. Very much a yeasty banana smell on the nose. What I really like about the taste is they didn't hop it up. I'm getting a very wheat beer taste the same on the lingering finish. Well carbonated. Good beer !

3.85/5  rDev +4.1%

Looked interesting. A strong winter Hefe. Nice yeasty banana aroma sets things off on the right foot. Also a bit of coriander and pepper. Almost has some saison and Tripel elements to the aroma. This beer has a truly prodigious head. Taste has wheat and mild coriander. Very well balanced. This is a very well done beer that's definately not a traditional Hefe, but is worth seeking out.

3.06/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Winter Cheers from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown