Hop Ranch | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown
Pennsylvania, United States
victorybeer.com

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Fully juicy in its citrus character with the pleasantly sharp, biting edges of tart fruit and bitterness, Hop Ranch Imperial India Pale Ale traces its roots to Victory’s Ranch series, a unique and comprehensive study of hops in which Brewmasters experimented with different hop varieties to showcase a range of flavor profiles and celebrate the nuances and distinctions in the resulting series’ recipes.

Mosaic hops and Hop #483 (Azacca)

Added by dwagner003 on 10-30-2013

Ratings: 2,428 |  Reviews: 384
2.79/5  rDev -32.8%

The aroma was quite off-putting for me. Dank & catty. But I know some hops smell this way (Simcoe?) Still, made it hard for me to enjoy completely. The color is somewhat light for an imperial, and the flavor is at least better than the aroma. I personally liked Victory's DirtWolf much better. Bought a 4 pack of this, will have to pawn it off to my buddies or just grin & bear it. Wouldn't care to get this again. It's just not what I like.

2.82/5  rDev -32%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.25

Not a good beer,taste like golden monkey with hops. Not a good combo

2.89/5  rDev -30.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.75

Way overrated! this " Limited Brew " has a strange, weird taste that had me puzzled as to why it was even brewed. I tend to think the more a beer is limited....the more hype it generates. The beer poured a golden color with a decent head. The aroma was strange, I cant put my finger on it but it was weird. The taste was nothing that I expected, kind of a hoppy potpourri concoction that grandpa Munster created in the basement. I like Victory as a brewery as they produce some awesome beers but this Hindenburg of a beer just goes up in flames.

Bottom Line: What was that!!!!

2.9/5  rDev -30.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Very little aroma. Mostly just bitter.

2.94/5  rDev -29.2%

Looks like a Budweiser but definitely doesn't taste like one

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance: Hazy yellow, with a thin white head.

Smell: Sweeter notes like corn, mild pine notes.

Mouthfeel/ Taste: Smooth light bodied. Taste of bitter hops/pine. With a sweeter finish.

Overall: This one was ok. Not my first choice.

This is an odd one and not what I was expecting. The smell is faint spicy earthy with maybe some light fruitiness. The taste is mostly herbal and reminds me of their Harvest IPA. Not juicy and fruit forward as described. Some definite pilsner qualities. nb

3.12/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

L: Pours a bright golden orange with a moderate white head that becomes a very thin lace. The beer is very clear with some particulates settling to the bottom and few carbonation bubbles rising to the top. Looks appealing, but rather light for an Imperial IPA.

S: Bright floral and grassy notes are what I smell most strongly. I also smell some very catty and light citrus notes. No real malt presence here. I like that it smells different from all the citrus bombs that I've been drinking this fall, but I don't like the catty smell and would like some hint of malt presence in an Imperial IPA.

T: Bold and bitter up front with an earthy, spicy noble hop kind of bitterness. The body has a lot going on in it. There are a lot of floral and citrus notes that come in to compliment the earthy and spicy hops that hit you up front and there is also the strongest example I've come across of the "cat piss" flavor that I have heard of. There is a very slight breadiness right before the finish, but that is all that I get from the malts. The finish is mostly citrus at first, but leaves that cat piss flavor on your palate. It's an interesting brew. A complete hop bomb that is very complex and interesting, but the taste, esp. the finish, is not something I would seek out again.

F: Light and zesty. Very drinkable, but not watery. Surprisingly light for an Imperial IPA.

O: I think that this beer was really unbalanced for an Imperial IPA, it is lacking in the malt backbone. A lack of balance in an IIPA is something I can forgive (hell, even love) if the hop flavor is something I enjoy. In this case I think the catty notes are too strong to make this anything more than a very average example of the style. It's got a lot going for it in hop complexity and if you like those hop notes then you will probably love this beer. I just don't like them.

This beer was poured from a 12oz bottle into a Blind Pig mug and enjoyed at apx 55F.

3.12/5  rDev -24.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a pale yellowish wheat gold. Head is bright-white and fluffy. Drops to a clingy web of a cap with sheets and sticky notches of lacing.

Smell: Juicy, fruity sweetness. More tropical than anything. Mango, pineapple, and some tangerine. Slightly herbal with a push of bitterness. Malts are pale, light, and vaguely sweet. Some toasted elements. Warming pushes some juicier orange. Nicely floral as well.

Taste: Sweeter than the nose. Big juicy fruitiness runs the gamut. Orange, tangerine, mango, pineapple, apple and pear. Some building earthy and herbal hop notes. Malts offer some hints at balance, but it's minimal. Lightly sweet, a touch bready. Pale malts. A bit mealy with something akin to Juicy Fruit on the finish. Some bready notes. A little rough around the edges. Fresh citrus.

Mouthfeel: Slick medium body. Slightly dry with a moderate carbonation.

Overall: Lukewarm Ranch

The hop profile feels a little muddled over a malt profile that doesn't really mesh. Feels a bit off overall.

3.15/5  rDev -24.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

Hop Ranch is a rather clear looking Imperial Pale Ale that unfortunately lacks a creamy, rich texture or cloudy appearance & is too much on the complex side & lacks the overall pinache that a super-dooper $11 a four pack should have! I'll take a six of Troeggs Blizzard of Hops or Kane Hop Lab Citra any day of the week as daily drinkers. The problem with most Imperial's is that they pack a serious wallup & WOWY does Hop Ranch succeed wildly in the "packs a punch" department.

The sign of a true down-east SERIOUS IPA is cloudy, frothy & soooo good that you just want to take two sips instead of one. With Hop Ranch, you take one sip & spend the next 10 minutes wondering two things.
1. Do I date to take another sip or is it too soon because this beer is akin to drinking grain alchohol
2. What did I just taste? hmmm. Let me see...etc.

All this said, I buy Hop Ranch every now & again. When I want to catch a serious buzz...like, the kids are driving me crazy, or, its the wife's time of the month..etc. So, Hop Ranch does have a purpose in life. Try a 4 pack when you really need it. Otherwise, keep your eyes peeled for those special daily drivers that are out there.

3.16/5  rDev -23.9%

Not a huge fan, I don't like the resin aftertaste

Hop Ranch from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown