Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,898 | Ratings: 3,704
2.87/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured a hazy golden yellow, with a decent white head to it. Nose was citrusy and floral with somethign astringent. The taste was slightly citrus, floral notes, bitterness, off balanced not malty enough nor hoppy enough for a IIPA. Not a fan of this one at all.

2.87/5  rDev -29.5%

The bottle says to enjoy by May 2011. I'm way early for that so I should have super fresh beer I hope.

Poured into tulip with a large white head that thins out into lacing. The color is light straw and there is no haze at all. This is much lighter in color than I expected. Very impressive appearance.

Smell is disappointing for a DIPA. Not enough hop aroma for my liking; instead sweet malt and candy.

The taste is very astringent as should be expected. The bitterness dominates and only a hint of hop flavor remains.

Mouthfeel is above average and drinkability is average for the style. A fresher bottle might up the drinkability though.

I don't know the details of the how far out Victory codes their beers, but I assumed I was getting a much fresher bottle for May 2011. Still a solid offering.

2.86/5  rDev -29.7%

A: Pale golden, lots of active carbonation, large slightly yellow head. Big, but good texture.

S: No likey. Too much hops with too little malt leaves this beer overly dank and a little skunky, even with excellent care. It smells like, well, too me, bad weed. It smells like the weed that people who don't smoke weed point to when they're trying to make a point that it smells bad and is yucky. Sorry, I just don't like it.

T: On first sip, it's a little better, a little more of a grapefruit taste, but not really much to make it worth while. I get more of a true hop taste than I do aroma, but still. It's really more of a hop tea than a beer, and what I fear in an IPA. This should never be a person's first craft beer, hate to say. Totally unbalanced. But, 8.5% abv? really? that's actually pretty damn good. Dry, forward, and unattractive as far as I'm concerned. I give it an average because the small part of me that loves a hoppy beer says it's impressive to pack that much into a glass, and that much ABV with so little else.

M: Nothing to remember here, that's for sure. It was there, and then it isn't. Very BMC in this regard. I want a LOT more texture from a beer like this. Hop Tea.

D: Does never again sum it up? Yes it's average, I'm going to finish the glass, but I'm never going to buy it again.

2.85/5  rDev -30%

A: Golden pale ale. White half finger head. Hardly any carbonation.

S: Citrus, pine, orange. Very underpowered.

T: Fruity, bitter, nice and hoppy.

M: Thin.

O: Slightly boozy but I'm just underwhelmed. Was hoping for a better flavor and especially aroma.

2.85/5  rDev -30%

12oz from Northbridge Pig’s closing sale. Poured into a Duvel tulip...

A: Deep gold; creamy, three-finger head; a few rings of lace.

S: Pungent... oniony hops; not particularly good.

T: Thank goodness, not like the smell; heavy grapefruit rind, but still not great; kind of harsh.

M: Medium feel, moderate carbonation.

O: Hopefully Dirtwolf is better.

(maybe this bottle was old / past its prime)

*from notes 10.16.13

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

Victory Hop Wallop: A twelve-ounce bottle, of a “very hoppy ale.” It’s got a cute little spiel down the side about the origins of Hop Wallop. Pours a hazy color, with an extraordinary amount of suspended sediment (despite the fact that this brew has been sitting in the fridge without moving for a good month). Fairly nice head, leaves some diffuse Belgian lace down the side of the glass. Curious aroma, very strong aroma of hops, but there is a wee bit off smell here as well, almost ammonia.

Very hoppy beer, that is true, extremely strong hop flavors, but almost absent is any malt base. As bitter as an IIPA as I’ve seen. Unfortunately, this beer is missing those floral/citrus hop flavors that really would have taken this brew to the next level. Leaves a slick feeling on the tongue, as it dries out the palate.

As it stands, it is a true hop bomb, and not a whole lot more. In addition, I am perplexed by the high level of sediment in this brew, I do not believe that I’ve seen it in other examples of the style.

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

I am flat-out disappointed by this beer. I am normally a fan of Victory Brewing (Storm King is one of my favorite beers) and I am normally a fan of really hoppy beers (Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA comes to mind, even Hop Devil from Victory)... So I expected that I would really like this... So much so, I bought a whole keg... Oops. Bottom line? The things that I think of when I drink this beer are grapefruits (citrus), multi-vitamins (herbs) and alcohol. I know this is supposed to be hoppy, but to me, the beer is out of balance... Like the brewer, like the style, don't like the beer.

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

A lot of chill haze to the point of almost being murky in a yellow-amber brew. Nice rocky head with serious lace.

The smell has very intense hops and almost herbal background.

The taste was too bitter for me. Hoppy to the extreme but very little malt for balance. The aftertaste really makes your mouth pucker from the bitterness. Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style but still can't offset the boatload of hops. Also very rough-edged; not at all a smooth beer.

Not too drinkable for my money. I do like hops in my beer but this effort is just one-dimensioned hop insanity.

2.81/5  rDev -31%

Poured a hazy golden starw color with a hint of amber and a two-finger head. Smelled very earthy, not as much hops as I expected.
Taste started out overwhelmingly grassy, but finally finshed with the hops bitterness and alcohol. The alcohol helped the palate warm up and relax after it was put through the odd splash of earthy flavors. Not counting what I tasted, the beer would go done pretty easy even with an 8.5% abv.

Was very surprised by the flavors that assaulted my senses. I like Like IPAs of all kinds, but this one just didn't taste right.

2.8/5  rDev -31.2%

poured from a bottle to a pint glass. bottle marked "enjoy by may 3 2012"

a- poured a very slightly cloudy golden yellow color. seems a bit light in color for the style. the aggressive pour didnt yield much head, but the little that did rise up was a stark white color.

s- the smells of a DIPA are there but are light. bitter piney citrus, and just a little malty sweetness.

t- the bitter hops seem to start out mild, then build as it slides down my tongue, getting almost like pine resin towards the end. there seems to be an almost herbal quality with very little, if any malt or sweetness in the backbone

m- mouthfeel seems a bit light for the style. seems to leave a bitter, slightly metallic feel on my palate.

overall, I have had quite a few DIPAs and this one is nowhere near my favorite. I have had a few other Victory brews and they make great beer, but this one falls a bit flat. Just a bit too bitter and without backbone for me.

2.79/5  rDev -31.4%

Blind bomber #6 -- reviewed from notes.
This beer was reviewed without any knowledge of the beer, brewery, or even the style.

Poured this into a snifter.

A bright, hazy golden color with a 3 finger white head. I'm thinking Saison...
The head settles to a frothy cap, leaving some rings and spots of lacing behind.

Hmm... certainly some booze to this beer! Maybe 9 to 10%? Big bitterness in this too-- so Saison seems to be out... Hints of pine and pineapple and grapefruit... So an IPA? DIPA? The fruit notes seem muted and faded... The smell is really weak.

A light faint malt is up front, but not offering big sweetness. This is a good base to build a super hoppy DIPA from-- but those hops seem to be lacking!?

The body is medium. Decent carbonation.

The beer is decent, but not worth picking up again. The hops need to be stepped up in order for this to work-- and this isn't working right now.

Rips open envelope...

Victory Hop Wallop. Hmmm... I hate to say it, but this is the 4th mediocre beer I've had from Victory. I'm glancing at other reviews of this beer right now and I'm thinking this must not have been fresh! I don't know if Victory does any bottle dating (the label was ripped off the bottle as part of the BIF, so I am unsure how old or fresh this one is). This review will stand until I try a bottle that changes my opinion.

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

Bomber poured into oversized stemmed ale glass.
Bottle date: Enjoy by- june 24 2011.

A- A clear gold with slight orange hue. Good foamy head, some lacing.

S- Sweet tropical fruits (Apricot, mango, some pineapple). A doughy sweetness.

T- Hops upfront that transitions quickly to a bready/ sweet malt back bone. Rather light taste for an IIPA. balanced. More like an IPA. Might be a good transition beer for those fearful of an IIPA

M- Some bitterness lingers. Light bodied. Kinda watery. Wet.

D- No alc. After initial sips the hops real fade back into a light malt background. Kinda disappointed. After this bomber i'll need to have a double trouble to get my hop fix.

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

Dark golden to light amber. Aroma reminds me of lemongrass or some kind of oriental vegetables like bok choy. Good carbonation. Tastes kinda lemony and a little like asian cabbage. Flavor kinda goes flat. I expected better. Not my favorite "very hoppy ale".

2.76/5  rDev -32.2%

I was pretty disappointed in this beer. If your going assign the name of "Hop Wallop," then it should wallop my taste buds with hops. However, this was not the case. The scent was a very subdued pine with maybe a hint of vanilla. The taste was more of a "hop tap on the shoulder" than a wallop to the palate. I split a sixer of this with a fellow BA'er and his reaction was quite similar. There are may other Imperial IPA's I'd recommend over this one.

2.74/5  rDev -32.7%

22 oz brown bottle from Village Market in SF Ferry Bldg, chilled in fridge @ home for about an hour.

Before getting to review, would like to say I love hops, love Imperial IPAs, so I was looking forward to trying this one. Split the bottle w/ a friend, and we both were a bit puzzled. I'm not sure if I got a bad bottle or what, but my impression is quite different from the other reviews I'm seeing here. Maybe it has to do w/ the bottles journey to the West Coast, perhaps temperature change over the journey, etc.

A - Nice 2.5 finger head, fairly quick dissipation, into a slight film; crystal clear, golden pilsner look, a bit flat looking, see-through, slight bubbles

S - Skunky, almost like green bottle skunk, not really getting tons of hops in the aroma which I was expecting... Skunky, minimal hop aroma.

T-M - Yowks. Either this has a really strange hop profile or it takes a while to warm to. Not terrible, but a bit like skunk piss, with a bit of a rubber tire burn out @ the finish. Much like the aroma, just skunky. I just was not getting a fresh hop flavor here. There were definitely hops, but the skunk was more pronounced. Freshness date was 2011 also, so it couldnt have been sitting that long? Mouthfeel was fine, slight carb, nothing that stands out that much. I will say the alcohol is well hidden in all of this.

D - Neither of us wanted another. I think it was just a bad bottle from what else I am seeing here. Will try it again at another time, from a different vendor. Will update this if so...

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Slightly murky orange-ish amber. Forms a head of medium to small bubbles which dissipates pretty quickly leaving good lacing on the glass and a nice film on the surface. Light amount of carbonation bubbles of medium size. Would grade it higher if not for the hazy clarity.

S = Strong alcohol presence with an almost anti-septic smell, once you get past that it has pine with hints of citrus, not a lot of malt.

T = Lots of hops taste, mostly pine but also some lemon, maybe even a hint of lime and flowers. Lots of bitterness throughout the drink and with a long dry, bitter finish. The alcohol kick is a little too much. If you like straight bitter hops, this definitely does fits the bill. There is not nearly enough balance though, I barely even detect malt flavors. Final view is it is unbalanced and the alcohol was almost antiseptic.

M = Medium bodied, great amount of carbonation giving it a frothy silky mouthfeel. Good mouthcoating.

D = This beer is good but has limited appeal for serious hopheads who can also accept the high ABV.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%

1/10/06:
Served in an imperial pint glass from a 12oz bottle with Enjoy by Oct 18 06 date imprinted just below the beard of Horace Hop Wallop. Appearance is a medium darkness golden hue. Tons of little tiny bubbles rise to the top to keep the head in full formation. Tons of lacing is left behind. Great appearance. Downhill from there on; as if I were skiing the Super G down a slope in Switzerland downhill.

Smells just like freshly sliced South Carolina peaches. I can see the red inards of the peach as I slice it in half and nibble on the pit for a bit. Of course I am assuming this is the hops. There is a bit of a burnt tire rubber smell as well that is a turn-off. The aroma then morphs into another citrua fruit; definitely grapfruit. But I love that peach smell.

At first sample, the beer is extremely bitter. Too bitter. The beer is not balanced and the hop bitterness is too much for my buds to take. I typically like DIPA but I havent had one with this big of a hop profile yet. Not my cup of tea. I really cant taste much besides the hops. As I drink the beer more, the mouth puckering effect diminishes a bit I guess due to my body getting used to the high hop rate.

Body is a bit emaciated as well. Puckering mouthfeel that is reminiscent of lemon rinds or fresh lemon juice sucked right from an underipe lemon one receives in ones sweet tea. Not really enjoyable. I will cellar two and revisit this bad boy in one year and two years.
...

3/9/07
Well, after a year of cellaring, I thought I would give this one another go. The ratings numbers above are based on my original review and will not change with subsequent reviews.

Appearance is nearly identical with one exception: No head retention or lacing. Carbonation seems to have ceased quite a bit. A- 2.5

Aromas are mostly orange rind and grapefruit. Some slight hay characteristics but mostly citrus fruits. S- 3.5

Bitterness has certainly decreased and has become quite enjoyable. Nice hop flavor with some malt body to back. That year certainly helped tone down the hop wallop that I so despised the last go round. T- 4.0

Mouthfeel is quite perfect indeed. Nice carbonation even though the appearance seems to dictate otherwise. Medium to full bodied and very well rounded. M- 4.5

Overall impression is that this is a nice beer with a year on her. Certainly some would like that hop power as it is fresh but for me, I like it a bit older. This was certainly worth the wait. One more in the fridge for next year; lets hope she lasts. D- 4.0
Overall 3.65

2.67/5  rDev -34.4%

Serving 12oz bottle freshness date best before Oct 07

With the ignoble and unbecoming looks of a translucent pale yellow macro lager this brew pours with a very quickly dissipating dismal white head that leaves nearly no lace behind. Respectable columns of find to course bubbles welling up through the sickly yellow body is this beer's only saving grace on appearance.

Sharp aromas of acidic lemon, astringent citrus, yeast, dry grass and minerals with a metallic edge come through on the nose.

This brew comes closer to an english bitter style, or an esb such as Rogue's brutal bitter, than a DIPA. Leafy hop bitters and tons of bitter lemon zest are brutal on the palate providing a firm grip from start to finish. A bit of metallic minerals, pale malt and bitter yeast poke through on the mid palate with bitter yeast and hops taking hold on the clean finish. Grassy hops stick around to provide a fine aftertaste. Clearly, this beer lives up to it's name, but the hop flavors don't have the pulpy and juicy citrus character I crave, instead the hops come through as grassy and bitter with lots of citrus zest. Further, the hops and yeast try to pull off a solo performance without relying on malts for proper support, this leaves a nagging absence of flavor and depth.

Mouthfeel is thicker and fuller than a normal ipa with a good slick feel. This is incredibly straightforward and simple, it forfeits enough of my interest on the first to keep me from having a second.

I'm a big fan of Victory's brews but I can think of many other DIPAs that are far superior to this one including Stone Ruination, DFH 90 minute, Hercules Double IPA, Maharaja and Unearthly.

Victory? Sorry, not today and not with this brew.

2.66/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head. No lacing.

Smelled like a mass produced beer. Faint hops. Not very pungent at all.

Taste is totally different than the smell. Tons of bitter hops. Slight sweetness on the front palate followed by bitter citrus rind, and even more bitterness on the back palate. Tasted a little unbalanced.

High carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel.

I really like Victory but I wasn't impressed with this offering.

2.62/5  rDev -35.6%

Review from notes taken while I enjoyed this beer last night at Fat Head's Brewery & Saloon in North Olmsted, Ohio. Poured from tap into a clean, clear glass.

A A little surprised to find a lager look a like in my glass with a nice head and good lacing. The body is very, very clear. 3.5

S Again, a slight surprise in that the smell was not very strong. After a few sniffs I picked up some sweet grapefruit bitterness but it was not obvious like I thought it might be. I liked the smell, though. 4.0

T Sweet malt actually hit me first and then the promised hops kick in and, well, I got walloped with them and they were so bitter that they were to the point of being acidic. This turns me off very frankly as it drives down the drinkability quite a bit. It is difficult for me to enjoy this level of bitterness. It felt as if the surface of my throat was deteriorating with this bitterness that lingered well into the aftertaste. I had to take several sips of water while trying to drink this. 2.0

M Well, huge with the bitterness, elevated ABV and even the sweet malt beginning. This time, though, I did not like the feel due to the spike of bitterness that lingered far too long. 2.5

D Again, driven down by the acid soak of hops bitterness. 2.0

Notes: I realize that the point was to have a very hoppy beer but this is too much for me. I found it to be too unbalanced.

2.61/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured out a hazy straw yellow color almost like a wheat beer. Has nice thin bands of lacing with each sip. Other than that no real head is present. Aroma has almost a cheap skunk Budweiser type smell. First sip is pure bitterness! Overpowering bitterness that I doubt few will like unless your really into heavily hopped and real bitter beers. The bitterness hides any kind of malt or hop flavor. It is too much for me to enjoy this beer. Crisp mouthfeel and a medium body. Not highly drinkable. The high ABV is well hidden however. HOLY BITTERNESS !!! Arghhhh

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

The aroma is very, very hoppy. All hops. Mostly citric it seems, maybe a little piney. But very hoppy.

And the taste?? Well...it's about as guessed. Somewhat floral hops upfront, but not as heavy as anticipated. From there though, they really become powerful, with strong citric hop bitterness lasting throughout the finish and seemingly only increasing in power through the aftertaste. The aftertaste is remarkable in its staying power of the bitterness...the grapefruit bitterness lasts a very long time. If there's malt presence here, I just don't get it.

This is a seriously hoppy beer, as advertised and expected, and packs a "wallop" with the ABV. I understand that this isn't the most bitter beer on the market, but for a non-hophead like myself, it's definitely plenty bitter...especially in the aftertaste.

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

The beer is yellow and doesn't keep it's head, but there is some lacing down the glass. It smells of a blend of malt and mild citrus. The flavor is fairly one dimensional - hops. Unfortunately, the beer is missing the malt to back the hop flavor up. It's just a bitter, fizzy liquid.

I'm far from a hophead, but I try judge IPA's and the like fairly. This one just didn't work for me.

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Mixed dank and citrus nose. Mildly oxidized aroma. Taste is similar: a hint of oxidation, mild dank, and moderate citrus. Mildly astringent as well. Thin head, with good lacing. Mouthfeel thin-medium. No heat. I generally like Victory beers, and was pretty disappointed with this one.

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

A - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow. Small/medium size white bubble head that is pretty organized.

S - Big fresh hop smell and a nice malt balance presence as well. Small sourness smell at the end.

T - Whoa big spice punch up front, to much for my taste. Whatever this spice is, it's way to much. Maybe this is a bad bottle? Anyway there is also a bready/wheat taste on the finish. The 8.5% is absolutely no where to be seen, awesome job in hiding that.

M - A spice tang is left on the back of the palate, but its an overall clean feeling.

D - I hope this is a bad bottle because this is way spicy and very hard to get through the bottle.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown