Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,898 | Ratings: 3,705
3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

12 oz bottle served lightly chilled in a pint glass. Bottled on December 30, 2003.

Appearance: Slightly hazy dark yellow topped by a healthy offwhite head. Recedes to a healthy layer after a minute or so and left an adequate amount of lacing, but I've seen much much better from IIPA's before.

Smell: Lightly floral and sprucy hops. Whiffs of orange and grapefruit citrus. Not as fragrant or as dense as I've come to expect from an exemplar of this style, though.

Taste: Initial pale malt sweetness, hearty enough to handle the melange of hop flavors that follow. Bitter pine sap followed by mild grapefruit tartness. Not as mind-boggingly great as Dreadnaught.

Mouthfeel: Chewy medium bodied ale with some long-lasting aftertastes. Hop burps aplenty. Quite a palate cleanser.

Drinkability: A textbook, and well-made, IIPA. I'd definitely have more if I had it. However, I kinda think this sucker got overhyped, IMHO. This is not Dreadnaught, and not even DFH 90 minute. Still, it's a damn fine beer. Should Victory make this a regular seasonal, I would probably pick it up.

thanks for francisweisen for the trade.

4.6/5  rDev +13%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is probably the most overhyped brew I have ever encountered in my young life. Nonetheless, I am extreamly excited to try this right now and see what the big deal is. Bottled on December 30th, 2003. I believe this is the dry hopped version but I could be wrong.

Pours a light peach. Pretty light in color but still quite enchanting. The head is white in color and is initially frothy and well developed but then subdues into a creamy top layer that laces very well.

Very pungent aroma. Smells very juicy and fresh. Grapefruit, spicy alcohol, pine needles and lemon in the nose. This smells delightful.

Pleasantly hoppy (not as hoppy as I would have liked). The hops are very juicy and showcase lots of tangerines, pineapple and grapefruit. This beer is starting to grow on me. Solid malt body but mainly just hops. Vanilla Cake sneaks in. Very resiny, juicy, piney and lingering on the finish. The beer has disappeared.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

A chill hazy gold-orange body, topped by frothy off white head, which leaves excellent lacing.

The aroma is like breathing through a grapefruit in the middle of a pine forest. Fresh, juicy, moist, assertive without being overpowering/off-putting. They should make those little "trees" for your car with this scent. Hell the bottle smells great empty.

The taste is not exactly what you might except. It is not "two-by-four in the face", nothing but bitterness. There's a malt base, surrounded on all sides by floral and fruity hops, resiney and juicey. There is actually a semi-sweet note bursting out of all the hoppiness. There is an overall impression of freshness.

The mouthfeel has a wonderful lively and oily texture, smooth and coating, but refreshing, not thick.

There is one major problem with the drinkability...the scarcity of this beer acts as a governator. I certainly want another, but I'll save it for a different session.

Any beer would have difficulty matching the hype of Hop Wallop's release. If this doesn't, it certainly is close.

Next year's release will be eagerly awaited.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Just cracked the crown on this eagerly anticipated bottle of ale, bottled 12-11-03, and already the sweet, citric aroma wafts out to please the senses, a promising sign.

Fantastically hazy, thrillingly golden, with a mammoth head, pearly-white, bubbly, fluffy-as-a-cloud, very slowly drifting down in size.

Now to check this aroma out, up close: OW-Weee!! there's pine up there, floral a bit, and fruity aplenty, spruce, herbs, this is primeval stuff, potently herbaceous, brilliantly bristling, beyond "bitter". Citrus fruit notes, too, a touch of grapefruit, a faint suggestion of pineapple, peach, but the sharp pine-tar factor looms largest.

Past the lips and onto the tongue, it's surprisingly smooth. Huge hoppiness swims all about the senses, but is, incredibly, never too bitter, and lays on the palate just long enough. I'd call the body medium, and finsh is fruity, tangy, and lastly dry, and of perfect length, for it fades off just as it's time to raise the glass anew. Malt is in excellent supply here, and provides one perfect backdrop, just thick and sweet enough to make the bitter hop bouquet so wonderfully palatable. Hop taste hangs in the mouth happily and long, and the sweetness from the ample malt makes a well-balanced, utterly drinkable, Super IPA.

Sure wish I had me a case of this stuff, or 2 or 3, instead of just a few bottles. Where I don't think it's the most incredible Double IPA (3 Floyds, Rogue, Midnight Sun and more vie for that spot), or most delicious IPA of any kind (Town Hall's Masala Mama is still my sweetie, and Bell's TwoHearted can't be beat, especially on tap), it's really a seducer, with a quality that can surely become addicting. Who knows, maybe someday they'll send it out beyond Pennsylvania and I won't have that problem. As it is, not quite done with it, and I wish I had a few more to keep this hoppy happiness happening.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Very nice looking glass O' beer here, hazen golden yellow color with a slight bronzey tone with a tornado of sediment swirling around within. Solid medium height for its crown, just over a finger high, light yellowish in hue, thick, dense, creamy, fades down slowly like a shadow, leaving an always present very thick skim, well actually I guess I wouldn't call it that, its more like a thin frosting. An impressively wide array of thin curtainy lacing covers the glass.

Aroma has a wonderfully charged hoppyness thats largely floral and fresh with a higher sweetness within thats a bit citrusy of very fresh orange, lemon, grapefruit peels layered over the top. Some tender grasses and hop resin are filled in right to the hilt. Not much located on the malt scale here, all hops on the nose, quite lovely.

Nice hop flavor comes right across the front with sweetish floral tones, kinda herbal and grassy, but definately higher in its sweetness and bitterness, its somewhat fat, not quite, but definately juicy enough and resin filled with slight dulled citrus squeezing off notes of freshness in the corners. Dries out in layers effectively slow with lots of hoppy things attached and there's a favorable biscuity dry maltiness in the backing that begins to stand out more as you get farther in to the glass. Very nice. Pretty decent showing of hops here, was looking for something a bit more juicy and fat but the drying levels are what really kept me attracted to it. Feel is close to full with some nice bitterness thats chalked full of floral sweetness and has some very fine drying qualities all the way through to its finish which lingers long and begs you to keep on drinkin'. That said, this continues to be amazingly smooth to my buds with great hop tones, bitterness included. Stellar drinkability! I clearly need more...yummy stuff!

A mighty fine thanks goes out to francisweizen for the many samples!!

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Tried the Hop Wallop tonight, courtesy of a recent trade with Francisweizen. Pours out a light shiny copper penny color, capped with a frothy just barely off-white head that dissipates quickly, leaving behind a very clear beer. Aroma is fairly fruity hoppy, but not frighteningly so, and is mixed with a pleasant malty sweetness. Taste is at first a sharp blast of floral and citrusy hops, but quickly develops into a pale malt sweetness with nice caramel notes. The finish comes back big and bitter however, and the bitterness stays with you for the rest of the ride, a much more piney flavor than the initial bite. In my homebrew I'd say this was almost a "green" beer, the Hop Wallop dares to go where few beers go before...and succeeds quite well. Mouthfeel is quite full to almost syrupy. Moderately drinkable, a 12 oz bottle is more than enough at one sitting. Alcohol is fairly subdued in character, but noticeable in effect!

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

It is light copper in color with a flowery hop aroma. It is medium bodied and malty, but the hops are the main attraction. It finishes very bitter with citrus/grapefruit and pine. The lingering aftertaste is almost like blueberry jam. It is very easy drinking despite its hefty alcohol content. Interestingly enough, I thought this was relatively different from the bottle. It is much more piney then citrus in the bottle.

This pours a grand golden color with a thick foamy white head and as you drink this there are absolutly beautiful laces that leave rings the whole way down the glass. The smell is a very aromatic blend of hops and a floral note. The taste is an outstanding mix of citrusy flavors and a bit of pine. The hops out do the malts but it's worth it. My tastebuds were taken for a ride and then crushed into submission. This has a dry bite to it but leaves a very distinct aftertaste of those hops. Extremely drinkable and goes down very well considering it's 8.5%. Simply delicious and thankyou Mr. Horace "Hop" Wallop!

4.43/5  rDev +8.8%

Upon pouring into a pint glass, it was honey-gold in color with a slight head that dissipates pretty quickly. Upon smelling I noticed some obvious hops, honey, sour grapefruits, and some pine, which I figure came from the hops. Pine, citrus fruit, and hops is what was prominant on the first taste, and was slightly creamy but crisp when chilled at about 45 degress.

I drank this while I was already pretty loaded, so I am not so sure I can be quite accurate about EVERYTHING here but was quite good! I definitely recommend it!!!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Very interesting brew from Victory here and not what I would call a traditional Double IPA even though it is a somewhat non-traditional style. Poured a darker golden color with a plump, frothy white head reminicent almost of shaving cream in texture. You could tell this beer was full of high quality malts by the amount of lace that clung to the side of the glass. The smell had a decidedly spicy nose full of pseudo-belgian like qualitys of orange, mellon and other soft sweet fruits. The hops were certainly there, but they had a more peppery twang to them. The same could be said for the taste. The hops were obvious, but much different in presentation than most Duoble IPAs. Much more pepper sharpness to them. There was the obligatory sticky sweetness of the malts that comes with ever Double, don't get me wrong though I love the sweetness. Its like sipping alcoholic honey. The only realy complaint I had with this beer is the mouthfeel was way to thin for the recipe. It was much too watery, which threw me off. However, this would be the perfect beer for a crisp autumn afternoon. Merci damon.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This cherished little bottle travelled from Philly to Rochester and then on to Poughkeepsie, where I set up a special moment for my 100th point, and it did not disappoint. The bright hoppy aroma wafted up with the sparkling cascade while I was pouring, and it settled languidly as the modest white head lay down to sleep over a light amber brew. I breathed deeply and once again, hops, hops, and more hops balanced off with a slight tension of citrus and floral esters. OK, and now for the taste--perhaps a tad thin on the mouthfeel, but nonetheless clearly a hopheads delight! This is the real deal, potent, but not in an angry way; rather this ale makes you know you're taking a hit: with a smile and a wink of the eye. To be savored! A special thanks to Nomad and the Greatpondbrewer for steering this lovely brew to me.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

pours very light in color with a medium amount of head and a lasting filming lacing.

wreaks of hops. some fruityness as well but absolutely dominating hops.

taste hits you hard with hops in the begining. this is the best part of the drink. i enjoyed rolling it around in my mouth as to cover my mouth with this initial hops flavor. once you swallow the bitterness comes into the game. the bitterness is also very strong but not to the point where it makes the brew unenjoyable. i'm also a hops fan so this bitterness could be overpowering for some.

mouthfeel is overall wonderful but could be slightly better. i can't help but to think something is missing here. just doesn't roll around my mouth well enough.

i love this one. tastes great, something very different from a beer as it is able to concentrate on a specific flavor instead of worry about balance. even through this single dominating flavor alchohol is hidden well.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Pours a slightly amber hue with a nice hoppy aroma. Tastes very hoppy with a medium mouthfeel. Very grapefruity sort of hop juice. Alcohol is hidden very well. This is indeed one very drinkable beer. I would recommend it to any hop lover who can locate it.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottled on 12/30/03.

Hazy deep orange/amber in color, with some sediment in suspension. The head is healthy and lasting, leaving a fair amount of lace behind.

Aroma can only be described as "hop, the whole hop, and nothin' but the hop". Piney, fruity/citrusy notes mix in an intruiging way. Did I mention you can smell the hops?

Taste: Hoppy flavors dominate, with pine resin and citrus making themselves known up front. The citrus is almost pineapple-like. Slight trace of malt floating around in there somewhere, but I think the hops ganged up on it and beat it into submission. Balance is not this beer's strong suit. High bitterness throughout, with a dry finish.

Mouthfeel is smooth and substantial. Very nice.

Drinkability is good, especially if you like hoppy beers. The dry finish helps, too. Alcohol is well masked, so watch out!

Another good offering from Victory. There are other beers I would prefer, but I would definately drink this again.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%

poured a medium golden with some reddish hints, mine had little head and I was at a place where I would expect good glass. Carbonation was minimal. Aroma was citrusy and spicy, reminding me of SN Celebration. This was more piney than citrusy overwhelmingly. It finished really dry and was all hop, no malt complexity. Mouthfeel was full (from a wallop of hops) to dry. This is a good beer but I think there comes a point when too much is too much.

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%

Ah...I just scored this from DeadGuyAle, Thanks man!!
I pour this chilled sample into my pint glass and the hop aroma hits me immediately. But back to the appearance first.
My bottle says bottled on 12/30/03.
The brew pours slightly hazy orange color with some suspended sediment present. A bright white soft head foams up easily. Really good head retention as I always have a thin layer throughout my sampling.
The aroma is dominated by hops, floral scents first then I pick up hiints of pine and some sour citrus notes too.
The first sip reveals a slightly prickly carbonation and medium body. I get a quick hint of sweetness coming through and then the hops take over. Up front the flavor is a light fruity taste, this switches to a sour grapefruit, and finishes kind of chewy and bitter. This beer is surprisingly drinkable considering how high the IBUs must be. Although I am a "malty" I definitely enjoyed this one and can see why so many joined the hunt early on.
This brew is very much worth drinking, too bad it is very difficult to find.
Thanks again DeadGuyAle!!!

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

(26NOV05) - Just got a 6-pack of this ($11.99) and had to compare to my original review. Has a "best before" date on the bottle of 09NOV06. The bier seems a lot lighter in color than I originally noted last year. It is a light golden/yellow hue, and it is mostly clear, with just an ever-so-slight haze. Head is stark white and fine, yet thin. Lacing was quite nice, though. Nose quite dominated by hops, with strong citrus notes but also a sharp, Saaz-like quality. Super smooth, and a strong medium-plus in the body category. Bready malts lie beneath a solid mountain of hops. Very citrussy yet not like a real west-coaster. Still has that sharp, spicy quality, which leaves a strong bite on the palate. Superb stuff! And the 8.5% abv lays low, so caution is advised! (No rating changes).

overall: 4.4
appearance: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | mouthfeel: 4.5 | drinkability: 4.5

*** ***

(Original: 31JAN04) - I finally got the chance to get "walloped"!
This sucka poured a deep golden/orange color, and was fairly hazy throughout. The hue was actually quite becoming to me. The head was a touch off-white, and fairly creamy. It lasted at about 1/4" for a bit, then thinned and maintained a fine layer of bubbles topping things off. Lacework around the glass was very nice and sticky. The bier had just been poured and the glass was about a foot away from me, yet a pervasive hop aroma abounded. Upon closer inspection I did detect some malt, yet hops and their ilk were quite dominant. Some hints of orange peel/rind were there as well as lots of grapefruity touches. Wallop has a luscious mouthfeel! Body is easily more than medium, yet not quite full, and it has a creamy/silky texture when passing over the tongue. It almost has the chewiness of a rich stout. Light toasty malt is present at the start, with suggestions of caramel, albeit mild. Soon thereafter your tongue is run through the gauntlet of hop flavors. I love it! Lupulin inundation is a welcome sensation!! Lots of citrus (especially grapefruit) along with piney/resiny notes coat the tongue and throat. The aftertaste of hops is oh-so-long-lasting! I detect little presence of the 8.5% abv, and that can be scary, since this bier is going down SO easily! I'd love to do a side-by-side with Hop and I2PA.... Good stuff! Big-time thanks go to Ron, aka BierReise, who was extremely helpful in sending a couple of bottles of Hop Wallop my way. Vielen Dank, und Prosit!!

(4.5/4.0/4.5/4.5/4.5 = 4.4)

3.28/5  rDev -19.4%

I have edited my ratings slightly as of March 16, 2005. This is not nearly the same beer I consumed last year. And it pales in comparison to the top notch DIPAs around. It's a high octane, one dimensional hop juice with no substantial malt backing. That said, my rating is now a reflection of a midpoint between the 2003 edition and the 2004 edition.

A hazed deep golden appearance with small particles suspended evenly throughout. The head is thin and off-white in color. The lace is patchy. The aroma is minty, fragrant and perfumey but on the flipside, also pungent and raw. I like it a lot. The pure hop bliss hits the palate first and foremost. And it is of hop resin, mint leaves, bay leaves, orange rind, pungent mary jane and smoke. The bitterness is bold and clean, not harsh and intense. The malt beneath has a slight toasted characteristic and biscuity feel. The mouthfeel is crisp and clean and the body is about medium. This is a tremendously drinkable Imperial IPA.

Thanks for the special treat beergeek279.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours a clear copper-gold color with a frothy off-white head that leaves generous lace along the sides of the glass.
Hop aroma jumps out while pouring. Lots of citrus in the nose with grapefruit, lemon and orange along with flowery hops and a piney aroma in the backround.
Medium in body and surprisingly smooth. Starts with a citrus flavor then an explosion of hops hit the tounge. Somehow the malt comes to smooth out the beer just when the bitterness is about to overwhelm. Not balanced by anymeans but it is remarkably smooth for something so highly hopped.
Crisp, refreshing, and had me begging for more. At 8.5% and a healthy dose of hops, this was quite drinkable. Another great job by Victory!

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

12oz. bottle poured into a tulip-style glass. It pours a light hazy apricot tolor with two fingers of head. There is lots of lacing left on the glass. The smell is very fruity, with citrus and flowers. Lots of hops present as well. The taste starts malty for about 1.5 seconds, but then the hops come rolling into town. A very hoppy and citrusy(if that's even a word) taste. Lots of pineapple and grapefruit present under the blanket of hops. The mouthfeel is super thick and superbly smooth. The drinkability fairs well for being a 8.5% brew. A damn fantastic brew!

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This bottle pours a clear, copperish color with a nice whire head that lingers throughout. The aroma right during the pout will knock your socks off. Ya may want to give it a few minutes to breath as the aroma is just screaming "Let me out!"
The initial taste is a nice long bitterness. This one doesnt just hit on the front end or the back. It is bitter thoughout. And after ya swallow, ya get more bitterness.
The one thing that really got me with this beer is the 1st time I had it, I loved it...so I bought a case. Got home and poured myself one after drinking a porter. Big mistake. This beer, more so than others, really relies on a clean mouth....or at least one that was drinking something similar. Even going from certain IPAs to this beer, the 1st few sips may be a bit off. Some popcorn here to clear the mouth would be a good idea.
Definitely a beer that can grow on you though!

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

Presentation: 12 ounce brown glass bottle, colorful label with the usual Victory flair in design. A diatribe down the left hand side has a very Lagunitas feel about it, it is basically a load of bollocks which is nevertheless fun to read. Listed as 8.5% Alc./Vol. and Bottled on Dec. 11-03.

Appearance: I am surprised to see how clear this beer is; I expected a murkier offering. Orange gold color that has a lively off-white head. Smooth, creamy and cumulus, the head has good staying power and leaves some good wall markings. Nice levels of conditioning with some soft lacing rings during the drink.

Nose: Some flowery hops and a thin acerbic bitterness. Strong acidic qualities come through in the middle, it reminds me of a mix of acidic ‘Orange & Lemon’ boiled sweets that I used to purchase when a child in the UK. Floral at times, citric and acidic, it lacks the usual aggressive hop character of other Imperial IPA’s and replaces them with a more palatable fruity-bouquet like Hop character.

Taste: Lots of oranges and citric acidity in the beginning. A tangerine start rises to reveal a bitter hop character that remains Satsuma in character. Lingering grapefruit and lemon dry bitterness slakes the back of the tongue. The bitterness levels are actually quite low I found.

Mouthfeel: Big and very bold, acidic and citric, juicy and fruity. It’s a kicker. Solid feel.

Drinkability: The Drinkability is appealing and very enduring, but the flowery floral citric character is a tad too much for me to be honest after a while. Whilst the acidity and citric aspects are welcomed, the high levels of "orange" in this beer are a little off-putting after half a bottle; I would have liked a more rasping hoppiness to kick my ass.

Overall: A very acidic & citric IPA that is incredibly appealing, but a little too “flowery” at times for me. Thanks to Rotsaruch for delivering this to xlperro whilst on his recent travels, and thanks to xlperro for passing this one on to me, for which I am eternally grateful. I’ll enjoy the "orange hop burps" at work tomorrow for sure.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

clear yellow, hoppy, mild musty nose. Defintely need to let this one sit out to open up. This is far more a big APA than an Imperial IPA. Tasting this side by side w/ yulesmith, dreadnaught, 90 minute, ruination, I2IPA & white knuckle, it was the odd one out, style wise. It didn't have the look or flavor of what I'd expect of an imperial IPA, especially when the others did. I plan to retaste this soon, side by side, with Stone 7th, which I think is far more comparable.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Duvel tulip, with a thick off-white head forming. The head quickly resided leaving behind nice and sticky arched lacing patterns. The beer was an absolutely beautiful glowing hazy golden honey-orange...a unique hue of orange I haven't observed before. It screams deliciousness.

Smell: Fresh orange and grapefuit citric hoppiness, with some pineapple aromatics...the clarity was amazing! There wasn't much else in the nose that I could detect, though I didn't think anything else was needed.

Taste/mouthfeel. The beer pulls in smooth and nectar-like, quickly opening up with an explosion of hoppy bitterness that exudes the aromatics described in the smell, carried on nice carbonation. Chewing the beer combined with retro-olfaction resulted in the maximal exposure to all of the aromatic hoppy goodness. I couldn't get enough of it! The sweetness was minimal, and the finish was crisp and refreshing. I really loved this one, and wish I had a case of it. Well done Victory! Big thanks to beergeek279 for making this review possible.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Appearance - Light orange in color and very hazy with some visible carbonation. The head came up modestly but what was there looked great and showed good retention.

Smell - The complex hops are led off by the huge pine resin. This aspect of the aroma is extremely strong. Other than Silver City's Whoop Ass IPA I can't think of anything else that I've had with this sharp of a scent.

Taste - Yes, this one is the hop monster. It tastes similar to Jack's Double Dry-Hopped IPA. The pine resin is big as Mt. Ranier and is as strong as I've had to date.

The complex nature of the ale comes out next. The balance achieved by all of these flavors is incredible. The effect is that you have these huge flavors that should kill a horse, yet they all go down smoothly. Too good for words.

Mouthfeel - This shares the exceptional balance and smoothness with its Hop Devil cousin. It is well over medium-bodied.

Drinkability - Too much hops? Never! This ale was exceptional and lived up to the hype.

Comments - Huge thanks to francisweizen for sending me a few of these bad boys.

Update - I first tried this beer in 2004 so thought I'd revisit the review in 2010. The ale has mellowed quite a bit. I don't know if they changed the recipe but its much more mainstream now. This is still a terrific beer but I've had to slightly drop a few of m ratings down a bit.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown