Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,898 | Ratings: 3,705
4.26/5  rDev +4.7%

pours a surprisingly crisp and clear light amber to golden colour. head is nice and fluffy and sticky. not as hearty looking as i had hoped and expected. the smell is just wonderous. hops abound, mixed in with pine, some sweet citrus notes and some floral notes as well. just strong and awesome. very autumn-esque. the flavour is clearly hop straight though, but starts with more of a pine flavour before moving into a bit of juicy sweetness and finishing with a bit of a bready, though still semi-sweet, touch. a bit of malt cuts through here and there to provide a bit of balance as well. alcohol warmth is present throughout and maybe could be toned down a bit, but really just a slight touch at most. no complaints at all about it overall. a very nice double ipa overall. maybe not the end-all brew it was made out to be, but damn tasty nonetheless.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I found a six pack of Hop Wallop at a store down the street from the Belgian Beer Fest. Talk about a great day!

The beer pours an extremely clear straw yellow color with a frothy white head on top. A strong aroma of grapefruit citrus with notes of alcohol hovers over the beer.

Each sip of this medium to full bodied beer is smooth and creamy on the palate. The flavor is mostly grapefruit citrus, but notes of pepper and bubblegum come through. There seems to be a dry malt in the background holding everything together. A citrus hop flavor lingers after each sip.

This is one smooth great tasting beer, however the strong hop flavor and higher alcohol flavor takes something away from the drinkability.

3.7/5  rDev -9.1%

Poured a pale color with a thick white head that retains well. Smell is sweet malts and grapefruit. The taste is a very hop heavy citrus like bite at first and malts show up in the finish. The mouthfeel is nice and smooth. The drinkability is pretty good. Overall a little too hoppy for my taste but this is well worth a try. Victory has some great beers.

4.85/5  rDev +19.2%

Appearance: Pours a very clear, golden copper with a thick, creamy white head that coats the glass on the way down.

Smell: Huge grapefruit aromas combined with some spicy and light floral hop aromas. After a while, a very subtle and gentle malt aroma began to show through; think pink grapefruit drizzled with honey. Exactly what something called "Hop Wallop" should smell like.

Taste: Right off, you're punched in the mouth by spicy, almost peppery hops and a bag of juicy pink grapefruits. That's followed by a beautifully subtle honey-sweet malt flavor, that combined with the pink grapefruit flavors is a knock-out. From there, you're left with a seriously solid bitter finish that coats the back of your mouth and throat and just begs you to take another drink. Near the end of the glass, the spicy part of the profile really stars to burn the crap out of your tongue and throat. Wicked stuff. So far, it's best in the bottle.

Mouth: The immediate feel is bright and crisp but within seconds of it touching your tongue, it becomes creamy, velvety and smooth. Perfect mouthfeel. If you take the time to enjoy this as you should, the high ABV isn't really detected until three quarters of the way through the glass, when a slight warming can be felt at the finish. If you drink it fast, you'd never realize the high ABV until you were finished.

Drinkability: This stuff is so good that you want one after another, even if it's a bad idea. I've been drinking it since it's been released and I can't seem to get enough of it. Seek it out while it's here (should be easier this time around).

Sidenote: I reviewed Hop Wallop on tap and gave it a lesser score; looking back, environmental interference was probably the reason - it's still amazing even with lots of sensory interference. To taste it's subtleties, it's probably best enjoyed in a quiet, peaceful, smoke-free environment. It's damn amazing.

4.6/5  rDev +13%

appearence is a dark cloudy copper with a huge billowing head bigger that the glass. lacing is like one of grandma's knit doilies.

smell is pine oil, citrus peel and hop goodness.

taste is awesome. hops dominate the palate with a big monster hoppieness that is stuck on the palate well into the next swallow. alcohol is barely present...even at 8.5abv.

mouthfeel is moderately carbonated with a perfect, not too syrupy, not too light.

drinkability is off the charts... for any hophead that is seriously into this amazin ' double ipa.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

You bashers are nuts - although there may be some merit - but you can blame your local bars. On election night, a local pub who thoroughly cleans their beer lines weekly served this amazing beer quickly after it's arrival. I personally had a crew from work on hand to demonstrate and taste how awesome this beer is. They all agreed - very comparable to Stone RIPA or Doggie 90. I then tried it from a yellow beer bar (PJ's for those PA/NJ peeps) who could care less about the taste and you could taste the difference. May be a sucky beer line cleaning sanitation job... Wonderful to look at and smell - amazing to taste. Yummy..

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

Oh, my marks are all over the place...that's because there were parts of this beer that rocked, and parts of this beer, that uh rolled. Let me adapt a beermail I exchanged with a few BAs for my review. There were some things I liked about it: Apearance wise: I liked the deep golden ginger ale color. I enjoyed the carbonation I could see clearly rising up in the glass. Came topped with a thin white head. I found it very drinkable/high drinkability. Seriously. I wanted another one, but decided to wait for the launch to get another one, and then that never happened. Also, it hid the alcohol well.

There were some things that weren't awesome. One was the aroma. I took the glass in hand, went sniff, and thought: what is that smell? Not whoa, that's hoppy, or mmm, rich malt, but: what is that? Low aroma for sure. Some acidity it seemed. So I racked my brain, and thought: what acids do I like? Balsamic, cider, lemon. Well it wasn't any of those, and then it hit me: it smelled very faintly of barf covered up by sawdust. Sorry, I know that sounds horrible, but that's what I thought.

The second thing that didn't stand out was the body ...medium to thin. I guess I expected a bit more substantialness in the mouthfeel. And also, even though I could see some good carbonation, I didn't experience it while drinking.

But I'll be damned if it wasn't drinkable. The hops to me weren't overwhelming, they were more of that distilled hop essence that you get with these higher abv brews...sorta making up the whole beer. The malt was there, but the over-all essence of hops was the beer. There was some citrus and pine in the finish. And while served at a great temp, as it warmed, and you got near the end, you thought, I want another.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Had my first sample of the wallop on draft a few days ago at the Blind tiger in NYC. Never got a taste of last years product so I cant compare em. This is a fairly light/golden brew, clear with a white head. Moderate carbonation, nice tiny bubble film on tap and nice lacing is left behind. Strong nose of grainy hops. Hops and more hops carried the freight. Nice alcohol bite also lurking not to far from the middle. Love this style and loved this tasty, crisp, aggressively hoppy and flavorful brew. Looking forward to trying the bottled version.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Over-rated! (clap, clap, clap-clap-clap)!
My much-anticipated first try of the Hop Wallop was served to me in a tulip glass at the Blind Tiger last night.
The first thing that struck me about this was the raw, herbaceous aroma. VERY herbaceous. Some of my BA colleagues on hand called my crazy, but I'll be damned if I didn't get a big dose of marijuana in the aroma.
The taste is soooo hop bitter. Having recently been turned on to some of the West coast hop monsters, I really thought I would like this, but for me, it was all bitterness with no flavor. Listen, I like spicy foods, too, but I like the FLAVOR of a jalapeno, not just the capsacin. I felt the same way about this beer. The hops were raw, grassy, herbaceous, and aggressive. Strangely, I also detected a flavor that I could only classify as "extra-sharp cheddar cheese," but I suspect that's the grassy-herbaceous thing. I also detected next to no malt, something that I want in my "Double IPA." The finish was long and lingering. Mouthfeel was fine, but drinkability suffers due to the bitter pill that this is.

Do I think this is a bad beer? No. Do I think it is a great beer? Also no.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

This beer was a deep honey color. Poured up with a fast fading frothy head. After settling for a moment the beer was cloudy.The nose was sweet with heavy hop notes. Big surprise, the taste was severely hoppy and sweet. The hops in this brew are so thick that you almost have to chew it. Finishes crisp with ligering hop flavor. Calling all Hop Heads!!! Calling all Hop Heads!!!

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

There has been so much hype about this beer, so I couldn’t way to try it when I saw it on tap today at RedBones. It has a bright gold to copper with a white head and a surprising amount of champagne bubbles. Bright floral citrus aroma. The taste is indeed a wallop from hops, a real bitterness force. There is also a mild sourness. Not unpleasant, just there. Lace is left on the glass for each drink. It has a great mouth feel and is very drinkable for this bitter a beer. Does the beer match the hype, sorry. Not in my opinion. Good beer, not a great one.

3.6/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Took a lickin’ but kept on tickin’ with this one on 10/30/2004. 16-oz. pint pour at ACPH.

1/8 inch fluff of initial set-up, and creamy in texture. A light hop profile to nose with some parallel notes of orange essence, clover honey, and a core of malt, though extremely subtle. On the mouth, sweet hop crank to start with other light notes really pulling through and making this “double” IPA a not-hop-bomb consisting of corriander, lemon grass, and light maple syrup. Although I have never consumed this before, I found it surprisingly light on the hop front considering its moniker. In fact, on that measure, I found the Smuttynose IPA putting it to shame, among many others. Expected more, given the hype.

3.54/5  rDev -13%

The pour is a clear gold. Head is small and white. Pretty direct citric aroma with various lemon, grapefruit and hop concentrate notes. Alcohol is very well hidden though. Juicy mouthfeel, light to medium body feels mostly thin compared to the flavors’ intensity. Plasticy citric taste. Quite tart, very bitter. Feels mostly one-dimensional toward the citrusy/orange assortment and lacks any convincing malt department to be outstanding. Fairly well-made in the hop juice category. Thanks TAR.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Pours a crystal clear copper color, "1 of slightly off white head, sticky lacing. Pure hop spiciness in the nose, slightly floral, slightly citrus, smells almost cinnamon. Taste is of the wall hops. They are everywhere. Not much of a noticable malt presence, because of the invasive hops. Aftertaste is pure hops, slight alcohol burning. Not as hoppy as Rogue's I2PA, but still sates my hopcraving.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Bottled 12/30/03. Lightly turbid pale bronze hue. Steadfast, dense and lofty ivory white head. Tattered lace remains. Burst of pink grapefruit and lemon oil upfront in aroma yields to a melange of minty ethanol and toasted malt. Softens as it breathes, with tangerine and light toffee hints surfacing agreeably. Welcoming aromawise. In flavor, incipient is a brief snap of light caramel sweetness. This is readily overrun by a surge, then lingering plateau of quinine and citrus pith bitterness. Hop flavor is of juicy, ripe lemon and sugar sprinkled grapefruit. Marmalade impressions abound. Surprisingly bereft of evergreen notes, save a trace pine needle hint. Full bodied and nearly perfectly dextrinous without any syrupy qualities in mouthfeel. Finishes surprisingly soft, with butterscotch sweetened biscuit and candied orange hints lingering. A delicious DIPA heavy handed in citrus character, shy in pine, and functional in malt character. Superlatively drinkable and approaching balanced, even. Reminescent of a more ballsy Bell's Two Hearted. Superbly crafted. Thanks to Buckeyenation for the delivery!

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

Fortunately for me, I live 8 minutes away from Victoryville and am there alot. The boys pulled out a 1/2 bbl on 8/23/2004 and I was there promptly at noon.

What can I say about one of the best brews ever brewed by one of the best breweries?

After looking cloesly at this 8 month old brew that was stored in a cooler I did notice a touch of chill haze. The physical stability of the beer was just on the edge. The color was still great. That's why I didn't give it a 5 for appearance.

The nose however was strong, bold, and was just like I remembered it when it came out the first time. This batch was defintely frist batch. Ron Barchet confirmed this by reminding me no second batch (the dry hopped version) was bottled exclusively.

The nose has hints of pine, grapefruit, and wonderful blended hops.

The taste was wonderful. It's mellowed NOT! It's still as bold, smack ya upside the head as ever. For those who love the turly hopped up brews, this one 's for you! Wow!

The mouthfeel was most pleasant and it is extremelty deceptive in terms of the ABV. No noticable alcohol burn on the way down.

3.5 for drinklability because of the ABV - this ain't no session beer!

Enjoy!

4.34/5  rDev +6.6%

Am I really going to have to drive to PA this year to buy Hop Wallup? I can get every Victory in my store except this one. Too bad cuz I love this beer. No, it's not perfect but I am very fond of the grapefruit /citrus and resinous pine you find in this IPA. Did I mention how hoppy this is! After warming up a bit in a goblet, the hops smack you in the face. Warming, but deceptively so. It would be too easy to drink this all night! I've only had the pleasure once when a friend was good enouth to share his, it created quite an impression.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

The beer came in a 12 oz. brown bottle with a brewed on date of December 30, 2003, courtesy of Lupe and BIF 10. The bottle had the legend of “Hop” Wallop printed in nearly unreadable font, but who buys bottles for light reading anyway, so I moved on to the main attraction. The body of the beer was apricot orange in color with a lot of cloudiness as a result of my preference of pouring the yeast in an IPA into the glass. The head on the beer was tall and crowning, and made it look a bit over carbonated. The head died down in a little while and left a lot of sticky lace on the sides of the goblet. The aroma was powerful green spicy hops with a solid caramel malt backbone. The taste was sweeter than I anticipated, with a lot of orange, peach, candied apples, and apricot fruitiness. The hop bitterness was quite subdued (which may have been the result of aging). The mouthfeel was soft and chewy and a lot “wetter” than most other beers in the style. There was some peppery spiciness in the aftertaste, but under the sweet coating that the beer put on my throat, it too was also quite secondary. This beer hides the 8.5% ABV alcohol very well under the rich malt, and is quite an approachable double IPA.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Good looking beer with a bit too much carbonation. But the carbonation dissipates fast to a mellow flow.

I tasted this along side Pizza Port Frank Double IPA and it could not hold a candle to Frank. The flavor was nice but a bit weak on the hops and not really any malty flavor. This is not a bad beer at all, but it is not an exceptional beer either.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

First off: Big thanks to BuckeyeNation for the chance to sample this brew.

Pours a murky golden amber with little to no head. Leaves plenty of sticky white lacing as you go.

Nose is fairly strong with grapefruit hops mingled with some damp-hay style muskiness.

First hit on the palate is more of the citrus bitterness from the nose. The bitterness backs off a bit on the midsip and that muskiness comes up center stage. Aftertaste is a jump back to the citrus bitterness again.

Overall, a solid offering from Victory. I think I still prefer Dreadnaught as far as DIPAs go, but then I haven't tried this fresh. I'll re-review when I do.

Wyll-

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours nicely; an initally well-bolstered eggshell-white head evaporates dissapointingly quickly to about a quarter inch of foam, although with significant clumping and tenacious crusting in the process. A handful of streamers mosey up through a dull, matte bronze-colored liquid; when held to light, copper highlights strain to shine around the edges of a glass murky with floating sediments. Served cool, the aroma starts by rolling up sharp and fruity (citrus: orange more than grapefruit), lingers with a body full enough to be called "fleshy" and nectarine-ish, and tapers off tartly. Too much body in the nosefeel to be called "floral," but with warmth, suggestions of pollen and pine (minus the "snap" of pine) emerge. Flavor is deeply balanced, with sourish hops dominating over a rugged maltiness suggestive of brown or raw sugars. With time, hops get harsher, with a poignant, punchy bitterness high and at the roof of the mouth pushing maltiness first to the sides of the palate and eventually off the edge. A hint of clover, even? Mouthfeel is well-rounded, with hop flavor sticking smoothly, solidly to palate after each sip; lacks the "shellacky" quality of some of the other boundary-pushing IPAs. I'm ready for another, but I think more than two bottles in one sitting would be too much (in terms of both palate fatigue and alcohol content). This sample was six months old; I think that after aging, the beer's remarkable balance may have been achieved at the sacrifice of the initial flavors' intensities. I greatly look forward to tasting a fresh sample. Good stuff.

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

Poured a dark golden color with a nice white head and beautiful lacing. Sweet, hoppy, citrusy aroma. Citrusy, grapefruit, sharp fresh hop taste with a smooth malty sweet background. Very full/coating mouthfeel. I enjoy this as much as I would Dreadnaught or Ruination. The 03 vintage rocks, the 04 however, sucks :(

I had this one in the cellar waiting for a special occasion, and seeing 20,000 BeerAdvocate.com members seems like a special occasion indeed.
A: Hazy golden amber in color. Head was initially about a fingers worth of a light tan suds, it's now about a quarter inch of a creamy looking foam. Some sediment is noted in the glass.

S: From this day forward, this is what will come to mind when I think of a Double IPA. Smells are a sweet grapefruity hop aroma at first. Not bitter in smell at all, but a solid hoppy aroma (I wish I knew what sort of hops they use). Nice malty bread smell underneath the hops. Brilliant.

T: Taste is a smart hop flavor that is surprisingly mellow at first, letting me get a nice feel for the malts used. There's a quick flash of a sweet flavor, but that gives way to a hoppy acidic twang that doesn't punch you, it seems to build on itself and grow into it's full hoppy glory. Finish is a long lingering sharp citrus flavor.

M: Super smooth, it's from a bottle but feels more like a cask conditioned. Full bodied, carbonation can't get any better, and the alcohol is nicely warming but very well masked.

D&N: As near to perfection in an IPA as I can imagine. I realize that five's should be rare, and this one got fives across the board, but I think that letting this beer age for a few months really let the flavors and aromas mature into a pretty perfect IPA. I've had many in bottles fresh from the brewery and they just didn't have the depth and character that this one does.

Edit to add: when this one comes out again, I'm thinking that putting a case or two in storage rather than two bottles would be a good idea. This beer rocks.

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

Victory Hop Wallop: A twelve-ounce bottle, of a “very hoppy ale.” It’s got a cute little spiel down the side about the origins of Hop Wallop. Pours a hazy color, with an extraordinary amount of suspended sediment (despite the fact that this brew has been sitting in the fridge without moving for a good month). Fairly nice head, leaves some diffuse Belgian lace down the side of the glass. Curious aroma, very strong aroma of hops, but there is a wee bit off smell here as well, almost ammonia.

Very hoppy beer, that is true, extremely strong hop flavors, but almost absent is any malt base. As bitter as an IIPA as I’ve seen. Unfortunately, this beer is missing those floral/citrus hop flavors that really would have taken this brew to the next level. Leaves a slick feeling on the tongue, as it dries out the palate.

As it stands, it is a true hop bomb, and not a whole lot more. In addition, I am perplexed by the high level of sediment in this brew, I do not believe that I’ve seen it in other examples of the style.

4.52/5  rDev +11.1%

Many thanks to goindownsouth for this sample.

I love the hop complexity to the aroma. Citrus (with a nice combination of sweet and sour), fresh, grass, with just a hint of malt base. None excessive, dominating or overpowering.
Orange-yellow-gold amber. Half-inch steady head, fragmented lacing. Cloudy. Good looking.
The first thing I notice upon drinking is how smooth it feels with a strong creaminess, but once past the lips the hops bit kicks in big time. It's a great contrasts of sensory experiences. Hops flavor is very reminiscent of the aroma, but isn't quite as complex. The citrus is more dominating and pushes overpowering. Nonetheless the grassy quality remains. Drink also begins with a short shot of malt sweetness that is really pleasing, but a little too short lived.
Wonderfully smooth with really interesting and enjoyable creaminess. Carbonation adds a bit to the bite, yet somehow remains subtle.
This is really very good. It deserves all the credit it's getting. Highly recommended for hop lovers. How does it hide the ABV so well?

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown