Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,705 |  Reviews: 1,898
4.6/5  rDev +13%

There is a razor thin head that crowns a translucent amber body; there is a modicum of lace that leaves little clingage. There are some subtle aromatic notes that flucuate between raisin and cocoanut. Upon initial sip, there is an intense blast of hoppy grapefruit upon the palate. Interesting.

One other interesting aspect is how well balanced and smooth it is; this makes for a truly wonderful mouthfeel - hence the above rating. Victory Hop Wallop is a monumental hop bomb to be savored. Yummy, he said.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Horace Hop Wallop. Two fistfuls of barley and three of wild hops in a pan with some water. Sounds like a good beer to me.

A: Looks like an IPA to me, light copper, thin head that stays a while.

S: Floral, caramel notes. Almost smells like a wheat beer.

T: I get sweet malts right up front, huge citrus aftertaste, a bit bitter. What are the IBU's on this beast?

M: Mouthfeel is very thin actually. That may be the one qualm I have with this beer.

D: At 8.5, 1 is enough to grasp the full effect of this beer. Drinkability is not a factor with a beer like this...it's not Coors Light or Bud light, whichever does the "drinkability" commercials.

3.48/5  rDev -14.5%

A - Translucent copper color with very minimal head formation. What did form left lacing on the side of glass.

S - Hops are dominant but there are subtle malt notes.

T - Malt is the first thing that washes through. This soon gives way to a blast of citrus and piney flavors. The hops definately provide a kick. The finish is dry and bitter. Alcohol is also noticable in the finish.

M - Carbonation is a little less than expected. Overall mouthfeel is thin.

D - Not as drinkable as many from the style due to the burn of the alcohol.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

From notes, 2/2009

Picked up a 12 oz single at Wilburs in Ft. Collins, about 2.30 a piece.

A: Poured a light pale gold color with a stark white head about half an inch thick. Crystal clear, not a lot of lacing. Pretty light in color for a DIPA. Head receded to a film.

S: Spicy/grassy hops, and a faint hint at a pale malt, hops dominate this one, as the name would suggest, slightly earthy, strong hop aroma. Smells pretty tasty. Somewhat offsetting mold/rotten gym bag smell that I've noticed in other Victory beers. Not terribly strong, but definitely noticeable.

T: Initally malt hit, pale malts, somewhat sweet, bitterness is way in the back, hops are subdued, but piney and earthy, slight bit of citrus rind too. Grassy, grapefruit peel. Really not as impressive as I had hoped. Still tasty. But somewhat disappointing.

M: Nice maltiness which leads to a somewhat thick beer, nice carbonation and nice alcohol, with enough hop bite to start a little bit of a pucker.

D: The most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. Somewhat, dare I say, chuggable? I honestly don't see what all the hype is, its a good DIPA, but there are a lot more better DIPA's. The beer would be a good stepping off point for anybody looking to move on beyond an IPA. But really it lacks a lot. Pretty overrated in my opinion. Not a bad beer, but a little on the weak side. Plus the label and story on the label are completely lame. One of the worst labels and stories I've ever heard.

3.82/5  rDev -6.1%

Poured a light orange with almost no head or lacing. The hops were citrusy and dominated the smell (duh?). There was a nice spiciness to the hop them in the taste that made this beer stand out a little. I liked that part of it very much. This was pretty drinkable and all and all a pretty darn good effort. Probably gets unfairly knocked for being tasted on the same night that I had a HopSlam from Bells and Double Trouble from Founders. This beer is perfectly adequate, even better then that. In lean hop-beer times, I probably would have rated it higher. Against that murderer's row, it came out as slightly above average.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Light orange/honey color with almost 3 fingers of smooth, bubbly, off white head. Nice effervescence along the sides of the glass. Great lacing.

Oh, my...very rich piney herbal smell...I'm salivating

Mmmm hops, citrus peel, biting aftertaste, hops...euphoric

Nice carbonation on the front and middle of the tongue and mid-to-light body.

Good stuff...

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into 12oz glass. Poured a semi-cloudy honey-orange color with minimal head and no lacing. Nice citrusy hop aroma. The flavor follows the lead of the aroma but with a more noticeable hop presence. A pleasing spicy hop tang on the finish. A full, balanced (for an IPA) body. Smoothly drinkable, this is an IPA that satisfies your hop craving without killing your tongue. A wonderful beer from a great brewery.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

Poured into a pint glass.

4.5 A: Clear pale orange color. Two fingers of some of the creamiest head I've seen in a while. Good retention and lots of lacing.

4.0 S: Big on hops (big surprise, I know). Orange flavor citrus and some woody pine. No overpowering aromas, just plain goodness.

4.0 T: Really good. Sort of reminds me of Stoudt's DIPA, which is one of my favorite beers, but is lacking something in the way of cohesiveness. Very fruity with mainly tropical fruit hops. Big wood flavor as well.

4.0 M: Medium-heavy body. Very smooth, good carbonation. Good creaminess.

4.5 D: Very drinkable, I'm gonna have another.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Golden/yellow with some cloudiness and a fair amount of lacing. Smell is all hop, a good blend of citrus and leafy hops. The taste is all hop, great for us hopheads. A some malt backing would make this more inline with other IIPAs, but it's not necessary. Very tasty brew. I think I'll go have another.

2.6/5  rDev -36.1%

The beer is yellow and doesn't keep it's head, but there is some lacing down the glass. It smells of a blend of malt and mild citrus. The flavor is fairly one dimensional - hops. Unfortunately, the beer is missing the malt to back the hop flavor up. It's just a bitter, fizzy liquid.

I'm far from a hophead, but I try judge IPA's and the like fairly. This one just didn't work for me.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottle was marked Best by Nov 06 09

A: Hazy amber with a white head that was thick and dense. Good retention, nice lacing.

S: Only hops, maybe some pine. Nothing else.

T: The hops pretty well dominate the beer, there may be a hint of pine as indicated in the aroma, but it is muted due to the abundence of hops. I guess I was expecting more than just hops.

M/D: Very bitter dry aftertaste with good carbonation. Medium to heavy body, rich, creamy and felt thick but overall above average drinkability. Don't really know what else to say other than this is a very soild hoppy beer.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into an SA Lager glass. Body is quite light for even an IPA, never mind a IIPA - a translucent orange, brass. 1/2 finger white head, with okay retention. Lacing however, is quite radical - really sticking to the sides of the glass quite nicely. On account that this is so different, I give it a serious nod of approval. Nose at first is all about the hops, but very clean. Hops favor the piney earthy side. With some effort, sweet bready malts do emerge in the nose.

I suggest you let this brew sit and aerate a bit, as up front is very strong bitter hops. Flavor thus balances a bit, starting with notes of sweetness, but really quickly becoming predominantly bitter. Flavors are quite dense and resiny - like munching on thick grass. The beer really envelopes the mouth, tingly, and sticky.

I appreciate, but don't dig this beer too much. Hop profile isn't my favorite, as I'm more citrus than pine.

3.78/5  rDev -7.1%

Appearance: Poured a deep clear gold with an orange tint. Lots of fine bubbles. A strong head that lasted as long as the beer.
Smell: Fresh, citrus, pleasant.
Taste: Hops, hops, hops with a nicely bitter finish.
Mouthfeel: Fresh, clean, and smooth.
Drinkability: Very refreshing, easy.
Updated review 10/09.

3.9/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

12oz. poured into tulip

Appearance: Hazy golden orange/yellow with a cloudy one inch head. Good retention and thick ringed lacing down the glass.

Smell: Strong pear, grass/hay, and thick hop aroma. Some sweet malt is lost in there somewhere.

Taste: Citrus fruits with crisp apple and pear followed by bitterness but nothing too crazy. Finish has a yeasty twinge and slight alcohol. I wonder what kind of hops they use in this beer because to me it comes off more like a Belgian IPA than an American IIPA.

Mouthfeel: Nice, not overwhelming.

Drinkability: This is where I think this beer shines. 8.5% ABV isn't that high consider what most other IIPA's weigh in at, and it still has very full flavor.

Overall: The first time I had this I had it directly after having some hopslam. At that point I thought this beer was a poor attempt at a IIPA but now I realize it's good qualities

3.25/5  rDev -20.1%

A- 12oz bottle poured into a much. Yellow with a 1-finger head. Head fades but leaves good lacing.

S- Hops all in the nose here; no surprise.

T- Some malts detectable in the beginning. After that, though, all hops all the way. Almost too much hops. On the finish, I get a nasty, astringent flavor, which reminded me of gargling with hydrogen peroxide. Not pleasant.

M- Medium body. A pretty light beer. No carbonation to speak of.

D- Dryness from the finish lingers in your mouth for a while. Sometimes this makes me take another sip, but sometimes, it makes me reach for a different beer, and that was the case with this particular brew.

Note: This beer may have been too fresh. Although generally not the case with hoppy beers, this might benefit from a little age. Freshness date on my bottle red 06 Nov '09.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured a golden color with a short lived big billowing head into a snifter. Left nice lacing. Smelled piney but wasn't overwhelming, had a nice caramel malt smell as well. Taste was very good in my opinion. Hops weren't overpowering. Bitter grapefruit with a splash of honey,again not overbearing. I thought the carbonation was appropriate. Very well balanced with the hops the prominent flavor but not at the expense of making it one dimensional. I would like to have a few of these but I would have to remember the 8.5% abv.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Golden pour with a bit of chill haze. Thick white head that slowly dissipates to a thin cap. Lots of lacing. Carbonation prominent. Strong grapefruit aroma, very crisp and refreshing. Excellent initial hit of bitterness followed by some malt body. A strong lasting bitter aftertaste.
Excellent brew. I love the hops and bitterness, but can only do about 2 of these before my taste buds are fried.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

When poured this IPA had a dense cream colored two finger head that was relatively short lived but left nice lacing on the glass as it was emptied. The brew itself was slightly cloudy and amber in color.

Aromas of hops, citrus, honey and caramel were present, although not over-powering.

The flavor was that of a well refined Imperial IPA. Bitter hops up-front with caramel and orange notes that lingered on my palet. Each sip made me rush to take another.

The mouthfeel seemed very rich and velvety for a beer that had a short lasting head and was relatively benign in color, but it coated the tongue and gave the impression of a beer much thicker than was the case.

Very drinkable. If you like IPA's you'll love this Imperial IPA from Victory.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

Pours a golden yellow color with a 3/4" head, very fluffy. Lots of lumpy lacing. After a bunch of headless beers recently, I might have poured this one a bit too hard. Smells of citrus. Tastes moderately of citrus, not quite like a west coast hop bomb, but respectable nonetheless. Carbonation might be a tad less than I prefer, but like I said, I poured this one pretty aggressively, so it might be my fault. A solid middle-of-the-road DIPA, not a hop bomb, but a fine beer. Thanks to bread112 for the trade.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: Light orange amber. Quite clear with a little haze. Slow moving carbonation rising from the bottom of the glass. Gave a nice yellowy white fluffy one finger head. Immediate lacing.

S: Big hop. Some grapefruit, some floral and pine. I was expecting a more powerful nose.

T: Pretty aggressive hop in this brew. Not that I am complaining. I had a HopSlam earlier in the evening and they are very different. The front is sweet malt influenced grapefruit and the back is more of a floral with a strong piney bite that lasts well into the aftertaste. There's a hint of soapiness but not in a bad way. It's a "no messin' around" type beer. I think it is meant to be explicit in it's delivery of hopness. Pretty darned good in my book! The alcohol is pretty well masked. It sneaks in here and there.

M: The light side of medium bodied. The bite and medium carbonation deliver a nice thirst quenching dry crispness.
D: I like this beer a great deal. I think it's a great way of getting your hop fix on. If you don't like an aggressive hop bite, this may not be the one for you. I'd be happy to recommend it and pick it up again.

1.78/5  rDev -56.3%

Reviewed 11/26/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours a semi-cloudy yellow colored body, with a foamy white head, with big bubbles. Has a very hoppy, somewhat tempered aroma. A bitter hoppy taste. Acidic. No flavor except the acidic. Too much for me, unbalanced hoppiness, no sweetness to offset the bitter.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured into a snifter at 45 degrees.

Appearance: A beautiful hazy orange color with a very nice head to it. The Head is very rocky, foamy, and solid with some retention. The clarity of the beer is wonderfully hazy.

Nose: A strong rich hoppy aroma with grapefruit and fruity esters. There is a nice malty sweetness in the background. There is a nice resin note to the beer.

Taste: A strong rich grapefruit with fruity esters. There is a subtle malt sweetness with some resin and spiciness to the beer.

Overall: A very nice richly balanced Imperial beer. The hops are not over the top but nice and steady. There a good malt backbone that give the beer a lot of character. The mouth feel is astringent but not harsh. Finish is bitter and very clean. I really like this beer a lot. It got a nice punch and easy to drink.

Thank You Donkeyrunner.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

A- Pours a golden yellow with a tint of orange and slightly hazy. Thick white sticky two finger head. One of the most beautiful lacing patterns I have ever seen.

S- Big beautiful whiff of hops with a little citrus in the background.

T- Hops dominate upfront , couldn't see that coming at all. Nice grapefruit citrus in the middle followed by the bitter bite of the hops. Slightly sticky on the back of the tongue, not unpleasant what you should expect out of a big DIPA.

M- Medium feel, light on the carbonation. Slight oily residue lingers in the aftertaste, leaving the palate with a dry finish.

D- A hop heads delight, goes right to the limit of being too hoppy but it doesn't step over the line. No notice of the 8.5% ABV, an easy one to have one too many of.

One of the most balanced DIPAs I have ever had, everything held right in check. Great story on the side of the bottle as well. This is one aptly named beer.

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%

If I were answering the "one beer" thread, my "one beer" very well might be Hop Devil, which I consider my "reference" IPA. I expected big things from this beer.

Poured straw gold and only slightly hazy into a pint with a thin head that dissipated quickly. The smell was hops. The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected and the taste was a bitter hops blast with an unplesant astringent quality. Very little malt or citrus flavor to balance out the party. I'll finish the six, but I wish I'd bought more Hop Devil instead. Disappointed.

4.12/5  rDev +1.2%

Sampled on 1-27-09
Best before 10-13-09

Pours a cloudy pale orange, with a stick white head that fades to a thin layer. Huge rings of lacing line the glass.

Smell is big, grassy hops, sweet , with a great pineapple aroma. Very enjoyable.

Taste is all light, grassy hops, tremendously bitter, with a very bready finish. Alcohol is there in the aftertaste, but in a hop-adding way.

Mouthfeel is good, very thick, a great contrast to the lighter flavors.

Drinkability is pretty good, very light and easy for a double IPA.

Overall, better than other times I've had this. Not my style, but a great beer nonetheless.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown