Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 12oz bottle (Best by Oct. 29 09) and served in a tulip. This beer poured an orangish golden hue with a slight haze. A one-finger thick beige head hung around for a bit, leaving some good lacing. The aroma consisted of resiny hops, oranges, pine, and an underscored note of toffee. The flavor was all hops. Crisp and biting. Very piney. The mouthfeel was full-bodied and had light carbonation. A nice DIPA with understated malts and a dangerous drinkablity. Well done.

4.21/5  rDev +3.4%

Poured a light golden honey color with a dense two finger head.
Smells good lots of piney citrusy hops and I also detect a slight sweet maltiness as well.
Tast very similar to the smell. LOTS of delicious hops with a slighty bitter aftertaste when its hits the back of tongue. All in all a great example of the style enjoying it immensely. Alcohol is well hidden in this hefty brew.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Clear golden color with a nice looking head and lace.
The aroma of floral hops with citrus and some light malts.

The taste starts off with a super duper hop bang and a dose of
alcohol. Malts,grapefruit and citrus hints.

There is a lingering feel of mild bitterness that hangs around for a bit and what I liked most was that this beer was well balanced with good medium carbonation and body. Semi dry finish.

Notes: A wallop I am willing to take as this was well received
and easy enough to drink.

3.61/5  rDev -11.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A - deep golden with a hint of orange, brilliant clarity, delicate white head, lots of carbonation leisurely moving along, excellent lacing left behind.

S - fresh citrus and herbs, smells like they used some noble hops (website says 100% American whole hops, so probably some sort of hybrid like Mt Hood or Liberty) along with american c-types,, lemony, light malt sweetness, not a huge bouquet

T - more of that herbal, lemon rind flavour (sorta dirt-like too), turns rather sharp in the finish, soft malt sweetness for balance, lots of bitterness to match, very clean flavours

M - creamy smooth, light enough to not way things down, but still firm, med carbonation, noticable alcohol warmth does not offend, dry finish.

D - this is ok, and certainly a different approach to an IPA, but the combo of hops just doesn't work for me.

I've tasted IPAs that blend in noble hops, and it can work very well, but this one results in that dirt taste. It's not a drain pour, but it's not really a beer I would seek out in the future.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

A
It looks like a lighter IPA. The color is a lighter orange/brown. Head is light, but I poured easy. Lacing is strong.

S
Stinky sweek hops. Oh my. Great smell. I am a sucker for IPA's that have a bitter sweet smell. It makes me think of Blind Pig. But this smell adds a little spice... I'm not sure what.

T
Very easy to drink. I poured at cellar temp... so about 53°F. I picked up the hops and a subtle but obvious sweet taste. What is that? Almost tastes of some sort of roasted malt. Mmmm. Good.

MF
Very smooth. I do have a heavy bitter tinge in the back of my pallete/throat. But the overall MF is very subtle up front and leaves a great kick at the end.

D
Very, very drinkable. It is very bitter but it leaves you with the sweet flavor at the end. The sweet brings you back for more and more.

I saw this beer at my local Bevmo but kept bypassing it. I must admit that I finally looked it up here and realized that people were reviewing it through the rough. I now see why.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

(A) Bronze color. Pours with a decent head with good carbonation.
(S) Peach and grapefruit aroma with a light hint of malty sweetness.
(T) Grapefruit bitterness paired with malty sweetness
(M) Crisp, medium bodied brew. Not an over bearing amount of carbonation.
(D) A delicious Imperial IPA. Great fruity notes complimented with hop bitterness, but not too much.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

I poured from a 12 ounce bottle into my SA pint glass. It pours a golden yello with a moderate head. Nice lacing follows it down the glass. The smell is grapefruit and pine, but IMO a bit weak for a DIPA. The flavor is heavy on grapefruit with moderate bitterness. The finish lingers with a pleasant amount of piney bitterness. A medium bodied beer that has a piney resin feel to it. A very drinkable beer.

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%

Pours out a transparent golden yellow with a nice thick head. Very good lacing. Smell is very faint, but I'm not known for having a good nose.

Taste is very hop bitter, however it's just not what I'd expect for an Imperial IPA. It's good, really good. But just not strong enough to be a "wallop".

3.83/5  rDev -5.9%

I took my first sip and I actually shivered it had so much hop bite. This one was extremely fresh. I got it straight off the truck at Green's in Atlanta on Buford. This is one excellent DIPA.

I poured mine into a Fuller's ESB Imperial Pint. The head was really rich and billowy. The lacing is actually really thick.

The aroma is faint but still present with great maltiness and juicy hop smells.

The first taste is like a punch in the mouth. I really did shiver. This beer is much hoppier than Ruination but in a different way. There isn't a burn but a bitterness that rescends back to a fruity sweetness then back to bitter after a minute. This is one long IPA.

The mouthfeel is light yet creamy in a way. The malt really does hold up the hop in this case. I won't say there is any real balance because this beer does deliver what it promises - a HOP WALLOP!

Quick question...if you are actually scared to take a second sip does that mean a beer is not drinkable? I did take another sip and I loved it! Go grab six of these and enjoy!

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%

it's kind of hard for me to be down on this beer because overall it's a really solid brew. i was sort of expecting more considering hop devil is one of the more solid IPA's brewed on the east coast.

pours a nice golden yellow to amber color with a brilliant citrus and floral hop nose. not to bitter up front which makes this one pretty easy to drink. finishes pretty clean and crisp, and a bit more balanced than i expected but liked. for the ABV it's a pretty easy drinking beer and you have to be careful because they will catch up to you.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Hazy golden-orange body with a couple of fingers of bubbly off-white head. Good lacing.

Aroma: Aptly named, this beer smacks you right in the face with citrusy and piney hops. Underneath, good malt and lots of booze. This is terrific.

Taste: Flowery, juicy, and citrusy hops explode right off the bat. Towards the end, a solid malt backbone takes command. Assertively bitter, yet balanced and smooth - everything just meshes right. Some booze towards the end, but the bulk remains hidden well. The aftertaste is of fresh hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium-full bodied with moderate carbonation and a long, dry finish.

Drinkability: Considering the style (and alcohol content), this has superb drinkability.

Verdict: If you're a hophead, Hop Wallop is simply a terrific experience. While it's no doubt a hop-bomb, I find it relatively balanced and quaffable. I've only had two Victory brews, this and HopDevil, and I must say I'm already quite enamored with this brewery.

4.65/5  rDev +14.3%

Poured this into an over sized snifter. Has rich golden color with a nice thick finger of head. The lacing is a thorough, full proof record if where the beer has touched.

The smell is full of citrus and spice. Grapefruit and lemon pepper fill the nose with a sweet floral finish.

The mouth feel is resinous, semi-sticky, and full bodied for an I.P.A.... nice and chewy. Carbonation is soft and light. Again, grapefruit shows itself alone with peppery spice and lemon peel. There is a nice honey-suckle floral sweetness prominent throughout. The finish is surprisingly clean for such a packed ale.

One of my favorite ales for sure. This bad boy is PACKED with aromatic and complex hops. Always my go to with some extra spicy buffalo wings with extra chunky bleu cheese!

4.23/5  rDev +3.9%

I love Bitter. Plain and simple. This is what makes this beer stand apart from others.

Dry. Bitter. Hoppy. Excellent.

If you love hops and you love pine needles, than look no further. Fantastic beer. Victory has an impressive line-up. That being said, don't really care for the Golden Monkey because of how sweet it is but all of the others....great.

High Alcohol so don't plan on having too many of these. Also, straw color with pine and hop smell that you can detect a mile away. SMACKS you from across the room.

Pick some up. Great with a good Saturday afternoon sandwich.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

a: pours pale orange with a one-finger head.

s: HOPS, pine, citrus.

t: nice and hoppy upfront, citrus and tart bitterness follow.

m: it's got a lip-puckering sour feel to it, that's how hoppy this thing is.

d: this is a mighty hop bomb for sure. if that's what you like, i think it's a good one.

4.38/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Purchased at Whole Foods (Fair Lakes) - Enjoy by Oct 20, 2009

Appearance - thick, white head that lingers. Nice lacing. The beer itself is corn-yellow and clear as a bell.

Smell - believe it or not I couldn't smell too much. Maybe it's because it's 19 degrees here today and the beer's too cold.

Taste - what I couldn't smell is intensely present in the taste! Hop-heads should line up for this bitter onslaught. Spicy pine is predominant throughout followed by a mellow warming from the 8.5% ABV.

Mouthfeel - smooth with a dry finish. I think I need another...

Drinkability - very high. Thanks Horace Wallop for sharing your recipe. If you like HopDevil, you will LOVE Hop Wallop. I will definitely be making this a "regular" purchase.

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

Poured 12 oz. bottle into pint glass. Garage cellared with single digits outdoors made for little head. Smells of grapefruit, pine, orange are noticed among the garfield orange haze color exterior. Gulp. Big hit of the hops are only to be expected in this IIPA and come through in an amazing way. A bitter aftertaste of loose pine tar. Little thick in texture, best enjoyed while sipping. Overall, a stellar example of the style.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Go out and get whallopped!!! May very well be my favorite Victory Brew!!!

Appearance: There is an abundant creamy off-white head which receeded to about 1/2" before taking my first sip. It pours a golden straw color with nice clarity. Frothy lacing coats the glass all the way to the bottom.

Smell: Citrusy hops are about all I can smell. Granted I am a little stopped up (damn this weather), but there is definitely an abundance of hops causing my mouth to water.

Taste: Intense...a bitterness like grapefruit rind. The bitterness attacks the tastebuds from the very instant it touches the tongue and completely through the finish. This may be my ideal beer, from a hoppy perspective, I love it.

Mouthfeel: I love the bitterness, it turns your palate, leaving you thirsting for more. It definitely has a drying finish. I found it to be medium bodied and exceptionally smooth.

Drinkability: Exceptional!!! The drinkability far exceeds my ability or willingness to continuously pay for it. A great craft brew that I will continue to enjoy and recommend.

I've been so excited to try this beer! I thought I needed to trade for it, but alas, it was in my local store all along.

Pours a dark gold with a nice 2-finger white head on top. Great retention mixed with some decent lacing, makes this a fine-looking brew. Scent is an overpowering citrus, mixed with a touch of alcohol-esque astringency. Gives a nice burn in the nose. Mouthfeel is a nice crisp, slightly watery drink. Makes this go down smooth. Wow! This is a nicely done DIPA! Great hop presence that is crisp and bitter. A definitive higher bitter aftertaste, but it is a "double." Small amount of peppery spiciness present as well. I dig this. Recommend.

[EDIT]

Vintage 2008 sampled on 2/23/10.

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a cloudy dark gold with a massive white head on top. Excellent retention; left some decent lace. Lots of bubbles rising up. Scents of faded flowers, light citrus, toffee and honey. The mouth is crisp and bubbly still. Plenty of carbonation. The high bitter presence has long left the premises. In its place is a dark, sweet, toffee-like flavor. Some light honey on the finish as well. This beer still packs some bitter punch, but the sweetness has evolved for sure. Not bad. Much better fresh, but a treat aged. Glad I put this one away back then.

3.65/5  rDev -10.3%

This beer is a hazy golden color. About three fingers of white, slightly creamy head. Pretty good lacing. Smells are mostly of hops of course, a bit of a citrus background. Taste is very hoppy, citrusy, a bit bready. Has a dry, floral bitter finish. Very smooth, well carbonated, light-medium body, overall a pleasing mouthfeel. I don't think I could drink another one of these though. The hops were a bit too much for me unfortunately.

4.56/5  rDev +12%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bought a six-pack recently. Appearance is a clear copper color with some patchy lacing and a thin head. Aromas are indeed a wallop: spiced, fruity hops, hops and more hops. Excellent, grassy smell; very strong and awesome. Taste follows the aromas, but it is surprisingly well-balanced with a bittersweet aftertaste mixed in with the supreme amount of hops. Good mouthfeel, crisp and carbonated but supplemented by a smooth body, almost lightly creamy. Probably one of the strongest but most balanced IPA I have had in awhile. Excellent.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a tulip glass. Freshness date of November 6, 2009 clearly printed on the label.

Pours a bright gold, displaying excellent clarity and raising a nice finger of off-white foam that shows decent retention and leaves some webs of lace along the sides of the glass.

Pretty much just citrus hop aromas in the nose, without much else detected.

Fairly full-bodied with nice carbonation. A bit of sweet malt flavor is barely detectable amongst the mass of bitter, herbaceous, and citrus hop flavors that dominate the palate. Finishes very dry and bitter.

Basically the name says it all: This one is a wallop of hops. While not as bitter as some other examples of the style, the scales in this brew fall heavily toward the hop side, without much else to balance it out. Still, worthy, though one must watch out for the 8.5% ABV, which can be sneaky in this one.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

Pours clear and yellow, topped by a tight, white head. With the exception of the head, looks suspiciously like a fizzy macro. Really, surprisingly clear.

It smells more promising than it looks. Citrus, and tropical fruits dominate. Must be a lot of hops here, because it somehow smells sticky.

Walloped indeed! Burnt my tongue a bit there, but in a very good way! Strong hop flavors include orange and grapefruit, mango, pineapple, damn, lit my tongue up again. Hard to tell what's under all that fruit hop flavor, but I'm not complaining. Good sticky lacing is left on the glass as I consume, which compels me to add a half point back to the appearance rating. Some really good flavor. Although, a little lacking in the malt department.

Slightly thin mouthfeel, I'm thinking if this was a little more malt forward, it would also be fuller. Good bitter finish, slightly dry, ruby red grapefruit.

Pretty drinkable, despite the unbalance. Although with a beer like this, I guess that's really the point anyway. Tasty, fruity, and super bitter, in the best way possible. And, amazingly quaffable for 8.5% ABV. A keeper for sure. Cheers!

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

A: A glowing, hazy yellow-orange color with a relatively large, creamy off-white head with great retention. Lacing is impressive.

S: Thick, vibrant orange/tangerine citrus aromas up front. Some piney notes also evident. A sweet, vaguely bready nose as well.

T: A big, big smorgasbord of hop flavor up front. Grapefruit and bitter orange, resiny pine, and some bitter earthiness is all present. There is a nice underlying sweetness up front, somewhat bready/biscuity, but it is quickly swallowed by the layers of hops. A lengthy hop bitterness lasts and lasts. Some alcohol is also detectable, but it's masked well for 8.5%.

M: Oily hops, with a smooth mouthfeel overall. Carbonation somewhat subdued. A riding dry bite, as expected.

D: This is well done. Balanced? Not really, but they managed to pack a lot of flavor in without relying only on overwhelming bitterness. It's certainly a big beer, but it drinks pretty well all things considered.

4.26/5  rDev +4.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm craving a serious hop fix, so it's time to feed it. I'm betting Hop Wallop will do the trick. On to the beer:

This is a thick headed beer here, and I'm not sure it's coming down. Oktoberfest orange in color, somewhat transculent body. Aroma...I smell hops and resin, though the overall aroma is muted to some extent. Now to end my hop craving....that is good. Good hop flavor here. Balanced...sweet citrus and grapefruit. Bits of bready malt. And it still manages to be drinkable. Lush oily texture, just about perfect there.

After opening a dud bottle six months ago, I have been waiting to try this one fresh. This gets a big thumbs up from a West Coast beer drinker.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

The beer pours a pale orange, that almost makes a straw yellow; a bit in between both. There is a nice small white head on it. The nose is filled with a huge earthy, piny, resiny smell. There is also a bit of sweetness as well. The flavour of the double IPA is almost all piny or resiny hops, but a nice sweetness comes through. The sweetness has a touch of citrus or grapefruit. The more you drink the ale, the more the sweetness comes out and the less amount of earthiness comes out; however, about 90 percent of the time you drink this you can only taste the resiny/piny hops. If you want an absurd amount, then have at it. The most unique IIPA I've ever had for sure. The mouth feel is creamy, but could be a bit more full bodied. I can only really have one of these a night because of the absurd amount of resiny hops.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown