Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a chilled pint glass. Slightly hazy almost macro in color, but with enough amber tones to make it look more appealing. Nice two-finger head and sticky lacing make me want to dive right in.

Nose is BIG and hoppy with tons of floral and citrus notes pounding the nostrils.

Taste up front is strong and bitter with piney hops, citrus flavors and very mild sweet malts to round it out, only to have the bitter hop flavor cling to the back of your throat.

There's good carbonation in this beer, full bodied and powerful. Drinkability is lower because the ABV is so high and the hop presence is overwhelming to say the least. The name isn't misleading; It packs a punch. This one is good to sip on.... one at a time.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Pours a clear deep golden body with a big two fingered creamy head. Looks more like an imperial pilsner. Sticky,noticeable lacing down the sides

S: Huge citusry, floral hop aroma. Smells of lemon zest, sweet hop resin, and a strong grainy backbone. Has an aroma that almost like a sharp cheddar cheese.

T: Taste of sweet (honey) malts and citrusy hops in the front and then a long pine-needle hop bitterness. Missing some of the hop complexity I've grown to love in big IIPAs.

M: Creamy medium-to-full bodied with a big carbonation that feels right.

D: The alcohol is definitely kept in check, but the strong hop bitterness would keep me from enjoying more than maybe two of these.

A very good brew without a doubt. I enjoyed this fresh several months back and I remember the hops having a bit more juicy flavor before the bitterness takes over. Still a noteworthy and impressive beer.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

A: Poured a medium golden-bronze with a solid 2 finger macro-bubbly egg shell white head that lasted for several minutes after the pour leaving a sticky and clumpy lacing. Visible carbonation was very light.

S: The nose was strong and grassy with fresh cereal grains and a light citrus.

T: The initial flavor was sweet malt, grains followed quickly by a big grassy hopping. Dry grassiness definitely dominants the flavor with a light lemon twist is detected on the fade as well some fresh grains.

M: light, slick, with a sour citrus and big grassy lacing.

D: Drinkability is good, a big dry grassy finish that should satisfy almost any hophead but may be a little to extreme for non fans. Munch up.

3.4/5  rDev -16.5%

I found this a little later on in the year, so I can't be sure about the freshness. For 8.99 a 6 pack it was worth it though.

Pours a nice light orangish yellow color w/ a soft white creamy head. The aromas are quite pleasant w/ some sweet scents present first, followed by some piney, citrusy hops. Very vibrant and exciting. Unfortunately the flavor of this beer does not follow suit. The hops are denitely there in bitterness, but not so much in flavor. Don't get me wrong they are there, just not as much as I'd like in a DIPA. The thing that knocks the score down in this beer for me is the presence of buttery diacetyl. Maybe this is a bad batch or its been sitting too long, but this is definitely a flavor I didn't expect or want in this beer. The mouthfeel is good. A bit syrupy, but crisp.

Overall a slightly above average DIPA. I'm only saying that because I feel I got an old batch. THis batch definitely not as good as this beer could have been. I had it on tap earlier this year but was too drunk to remember what it was like. From what I remember it was much better than this. I'll have to try it again when I'm not in as much of a haze.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

Great bottle design and poured a respectable head with pale color. Aroma not overbearing but makes your mouth water. Flavor has an ideal hop flavor for a 8.5% ABV which does not taste like it has that strength. Wish I could try this one from cask. Victory has done well.

4.17/5  rDev +2.5%

I had this on cask, gravity pour, day two of being opened.

The beer was surprisingly clear with a lot of carbonation; approximatley one inch head with a lot of volitility immediately after being poured. The head drops down quickly but about a quarter inch of head remains with some nice lacing throughout the life of the pint.

There wasn't a specific aroma that stuck out easily, which I found surprising for a double IPA. Aside from the basic citrus and pine smell, there really wasn't much else coming through to the nose.

I had a very difficult time distinguishing tastes as well; in fact, combined with my difficulty in picking up aromas, I'd probably flag this for a second review on my part in case I was off that night. Nonetheless, this beer tasted great. Light, sweet hoppiness with some light malt and a bitter but quick finish.

The hops left a sweet stickness in the mouth, which was very interesting and welcomed. Despite the high carbonation, the beer was quite smooth and not acidic in feeling.

Overall, it went down quite easily, was very smooth, enjoyable and packed a wallop :)

I had two 20oz imperial pints.

3.76/5  rDev -7.6%

Whoops, this was one of those beers that just got lost in the boxes and boxes I have. Better drink this quick before it gets older.

APPEARANCE: Pours a slightly darker than gold into a Victory shaker pint. It's only slightly hazy and is topped by a tight-bubbled eggshell-colored head that holds at almost a finger's height. This is what beer should look like.

SMELL: There's still some big time hop aroma on this. Citrusy and floral, the slightly resinous hops stand out quite a bit, but still allow some clean malty sweetness to come through.

TASTE: The hops resins come out way more in the taste and are a tad overwhelming. But Hop Wallop has balance on it's side, featuring a very solid sweet malt base on which the hops really show themselves. Alcohol is slightly detectable toward the finish.

MOUTHFEEL: Big bodied and a bit syrupy and slick. Carbonation is at average appropriate levels.

DRINKABILITY: The balance helps here a lot, but it's brought down by the alcohol and slickness of the body. One bottle is just the right amount for me.

Not bad at all. I've had it before but never got the opportunity to sit down with one. There's so many great DIPA's out there, I don't know if I'd buy more of this, but since they're one of my local breweries, I'm sure I'll be drinking more Hop Wallop sometime in the future.

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Poured 12 oz bottle into an imperial pint. Good looking hazy orange color. Bright white head hung around for quite some time. The nose was not overwhelming as one would imagine for a DIPA. Subtle notes of hops nevertheless. Tasted great for a DIPA even though my wife claimed to taste soap. Good earthy taste and the alcohol and hops don't overwhelm. Went down smooth and would be easy to drink a few on a hot summer day. I'll get it again when I travel out of Alabama!!!

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Thanks to abankovich for a great trade. I poured a capped 12 ounce bottle into a tulip.

A: It poured a hazy and orangeish golden body with a carbonation fed modest white head that retained well and left clumps of lacing that fell back into the liquid.

S: It had a powerful hop profile that was rich with pine and citrus. There was a recessive aroma toasted malts and white fruit and spices.

T: It hit with a hop bomb composed of pine and grapefruit. There is no doubt this is an Imperial IPA. After the hops receded there was a undercurrent of tasted malts and tart white fruits (white grapes and pears).

M: It was a medium bodied beer that despite its hop dominance was smooth and refreshing. It had a nice clean finish with just hints of sour aftertaste.

D: I'm not a hop head but this goes down pretty good. Decent management of hops but perhaps a bit over the top. A bit more balance would have improved the experience.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

A: A clean golden/amber pour sporting a decent creamy white head.

S: A surprisingly gentle aroma, primarily all hops... floral, citrus, a little piney.

T + M: Not as gentle as the aroma, but I would hope not! Nonetheless, it carries a very delicate grouping of flavours... oily pine, grapefruit peel citrus, and a bit of a malty roast manages to sneak in there. The big flavours leave their signature along the sides and back of the tongue on the finish, all along bringing a sensation as though the papillae are standing on end. The lightest zip of carbonation adds to the sensation for quite a pleasing mouthfeel.

D: I'll have another, without a doubt. While perhaps it's not an absolute favourite, it's an excellent brew. With all the other flavours going on, the alcohol is hidden fairly well, so one could potentially over do it on this one. Keep it slow, enjoy it as it really opens up... it might have some attitude, but can be a great 'companion beer' if you respect it.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Eye: Poured into a pint glass this beer is orange in color with golden yellow highlights. Head retention and size are great. Given the abv, I'm surprised that it can hold a head this size for such a great amount of time. In color it is off white and creamy textured.

Nose: Vinous, citrus, floral and grapefruit aromas fill my nose. Aroma reminds me quite a bit like white sparkling grape juice. Underneath these aromas there is a good strong malt backbone. Very appealing to the olfactory senses.

Tongue: Nice hop bite right off the bat. Bitterness is intense but not in the face. Big floral and citrus notes from hops mingle along with vinous/grapefruit/sparkling grape juice flavors-I'm assuming these are from hops too-to create a great hop profile here...Maybe some of that sparkling grape juice comes from alcohol on the other hand, not sure. Also some spiciness. The flavor of alcohol is detectable. Not too much malt flavor here, either that or my palate is too desensitized to taste it by now-perhaps a bit of a coarse graininess.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: The brew is medium bodied with nice levels of carbonation that give it some real life. The finish is dry, leaving the palate filled with hop flavors. This beer is great, I'll definitely be buying it again, however it didn't really "wow" me like Maharaja did, but it is right up there with it... it is a damn good beer. This is one that is worth the time to find, seek it out if you've not already had it.

This brew is a deep orange-amber color with a thin and creamy off-white head that diminishes quickly. Patchwork lacing on the glass. Primarily hops and citrus in the nose, along with some malt in the background. Medium-bodied and crisp at first with moderately bitter hops and citrus flavors, followed by an increasingly assertive sweet malt undertone. Mild spice is present as well. The finish is grapefruit and hops with a lingering bitterness. Very good overall.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured a clear light orange color with minimal head and decent lacing on the glass.
Definietly a lot of piney hops but sweet malts and a good bit of citrus as well.
The taste had everything from piney hope citrus and grapefruit to mild vanilla and sweet roasted malt.
Biting and bittersweet with a good ammount of carbonation, leaves the tongue a little sweet but a little on the bitter side.
Very drinkable and although not quite up to the hype I've heard, it was definitely enjoyable, despite the high ABV.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A dark clear orange in color with a one fingered head that fades pretty quickly but leaves almost a blowing and drifting snow looking lace on the glass. The hop scent wasn't as stong as I expected it to be but it is there along with earthy and grapefruit aromas.
Though the hop scent isn't that detectable in the smells they sure do in the taste. Tart and sweet like a grapefruit is what you taste in the front end of the flavor. The grapefruitness of it is one more of the ruby red kind than say, your standard white or pink varieties. In some ways it also reminds me a bit of a pilsner with a huge hop profile. Some pine notes though bring you back though to remind that this is an IPA. A slight herbal bitterness follows it up giving it a dry kick in the back end but still not a burn that one would likely expect from something bordering the 9% abv mark.

The dude on the label sure looks like he knows how to party too.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Color was a golden amber hue with a fluffy 1 finger white head. Head clung to the sides of the glass with a ring around the edge. Aroma was piney with a touch of citrus. Taste was sprucey and tangey with a bit of orange. Felt good in the mouth, a little bit of bitter carbonation but clung very well. Easy to drink but the alcohol did appear to hit faster than I would have thought.

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

This poured a mostly clear golden color with noticeable sediment and a fluffy white head. It smelled like a mix of pine and floral hops. Its flavor was bitter but not over the top, using a mix of pine and orange hops balanced with some malt. It was thick and oily with some slight carbonation, and it had a smooth and bitter aftertaste. Overall this was a very tasty beer, and surprisingly drinkable.

2.89/5  rDev -29%

With the cartoon guy on the label and the hokey catchphrases(contents: hops, hops, and more hops!) I was skeptical.

poured into standard pub glass at about 53 F.

Wow. surprisingly light in color. Straw colored. Clear. little carbonation. Good head forms immediately.

I don't know if it is just me, but i don't get much of a smell from this stuff. Very faint hops....

I taste the bitter hops on the back of my tongue, but it just seems like this needs some balance. The 8.5 abv seems pretty well masked. I can taste the alcohol but not like you would think. To be completely fair I let it warm up to 60 F or so and taste some more....not much difference.

Overall this stuff is decent. I would gladly drink another, but not sure I will go out of my way to get it.

4.18/5  rDev +2.7%

Saw this at Whole Foods in Seattle and have been dying to try it.
Poured VERY clear into my pilsner flute. Impressive clarity.
Head was average and white.

Strong hop aroma with citrus and floral being forward. Some clean pine as well. Wished there was more malt to balance the hops on this one, was disappointed with the body, but it led to a really light DIPA. I thought I was just drinking a standard IPA.

Overall I could drink a couple bottles of these, which I don't think is what should happen with a DIPA in my opinion. It just didn't fight back enough.
Well crafted beer and worth a try, I might buy it again, but I still have other DIPA's I prefer.

3.36/5  rDev -17.4%

A-Poured a clear amber. Very light creamy head even with a vigorous pour. Leaves sticky lacing throughout glass

S- Not as intensly pungent as I'd expected. Very light citrusy hops & malt.

T- Fermented hop tea. Very bitter finish. Given all the hype, I kinda expected something a bit better balanced. This was pretty average.

M- Moderately carbonated with very strong, lingering bitter taste at the finish.

D- I'm not a huge fan of the over-hopped beers, but I thought it was reasonably drinkable. The 8.5% is well hidden.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Got this 12oz bottle in a trade with limesmut-thanks!

Pours a bit more hazing than I would expect but a nice orange copper with a small white head that leaves a small ring at the top of the glass.

Strong, but pleasant, hops hits your nose with the pour. Some citrus, maybe grapefruit, tones come from the aroma too.

Nice bitter hops comes through as it hits your mouth upon tasting. Some floral hints and the citrus comes through too.

Finishes in a nice bitter manner-dry and smooth and wanting more on your tongue.

Nicely balanced for a double IPA and not too overpowering really. I'd have another one of these for sure, but I think that I'd only be able to have two or so in a session because of the ABV and also the effect of the hops on my tongue!

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

** NOTE: This review is of an "aged" bottle from the Fall '06 release. Label indicates "Enjoy by Oct 24 07." Ooops... **

Appearance: A cloudy and pale straw orange color with a one-finger head that quickly dissipates leaving a fine layer on the surface of the beer. Moderate lacing.

Smell: Honey, pine, malt.

Taste: Most dominant is the sweetness of honey followed by malty undertones. The hops have been relegated to supporting cast members, with hints of pine and citrus. Finish is lengthy and bitter on this medium-bodied brew.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and creamy. Coats the mouth well and lingers after each sip.

Drinkability/Overall Impression: Age has certainly taken the edge off this beer, and from what I can remember, that's a good thing. When I bought this case in the Fall of '06, I found it to be nearly undrinkable due to the extremely mouth-puckering bitter characteristics. I like hoppy beers, but I found it to be all strength and no balance. I actually like what time has done, although I realize this was not the brewer's intention. I find that it has become more drinkable now (though not in large quantities due to the high ABV %) then it was when fresh, though I look forward to revisiting it again this coming autumn to see if my tastes have changed over the years.

3.43/5  rDev -15.7%

This is a fine smelling, good tasting double IPA, but it seems to have an odd off-taste. Maybe licorice.

It's got a very nice biting bitterness but it doesn't seem too well balanced with sweetness like some of the other Double IPA's I've had. I would definitely have this again, but wouldn't put it at the top of my DIPA list.

3.59/5  rDev -11.8%

12oz shared with my trading partner that he received in a recent trade. My portion poured into my New Belgium snifter... Thanks SAS.

1" head above a slightly hazy honey gold... pretty good lacing.. looks very promising.

Aroma is fruity and bready .. definitely more malts than hops... only slightly hoppy. Could this be old?

Flavor is better.. but only marginally. Descent bitterness.. subdued hop flavors with solid palate and carbonation. More fruity than hoppy across the board. Bitter backbone is present... but the hop flavor is WALLOPED by the yeasty fruitiness. There are remnants of citrus/grapefruit and pine.. but they are fleeting... Minerally finish. No Doubt.. nothing special.

This may be an aged bottle.. I will gladly delete this review if I score another bottle.. but for now, my previous (3) notepad reviews say the same thing, "I want to be walloped with the hops. Hop Wallop does not do the job." Reminds me much more of a PNW IPA than any sort of DIPA.

I appreciate the brew from Steve.. but .. we both know there are some seriously better DIPA's in our own backyard.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

a: pours a nice orange copper color with about a half inch of head that dissapears fairly fast leaving a good amount of sticky lacing around the edge of the glass a very nice looking beer i might say
s: citrusy and earthy/piny hops that bitter aroma isvery nice and inviting, the sweet malt backbone is also present
t: the citrusy and earthy bitter hops comeout first but it is nicely balanced by a sweet malt backbone
m: medium bodied beer with a little carbonation

overall, wow this is an amazing beer very nice, but at the price its a splurge

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

12oz bottle poured into a tulip glass, no freshness date.

A: Pours a sort of light pale and clear copper with a sort of macro looking frothy white head that only hints at some stickiness, head disappears in a few minutes but can be brought back with some swirling, decent amount of sticky lacing down most of the glass.

S: Strong oily pine and citrus with a slight medicinal twang to it, if you want to imagine it mellon and mango are hiding within this beer with only the slightest hint of malt sweetness, but really I'm not looking for malts here.

T/MF: Quite juicy, strong citrus and mellon mango, deep sweet fruits and not that oily pine that was hinted at in the aroma, though bit of an alchol and pine peppery spice kick near the end, bitter and tasty, not a bad offering at all, certainly better than good. Mouthfeel is quite sticky and wish there was a bit more carbonation to round this beer out more fully, but damn if it does not want you to take another sip.

D: Pretty high for as bitter as this beer is and as drying as the finish can get, medium bodied and really keeps you begging for more, tasty tasty.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown