Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
4.44/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: 1 finger off white head with decent retention. Left a nice lacing along the glass. Clear, deep golden body.

S: Strong pine odor. Citrus appeared later. Simple, powerful, excellent.

T: Huge hop bite up front. Whatever malt exists is scared to come out to play. Pine and citrus hops rule the day.

M: Medium body w/ tingly carbonation. Smooth except for the hop bite. Not surprisingly, hops dominate the lasting finish as well.

D: You must get this while it's fresh. I consumed an old one a while back & couldn't finish it. As a result, I was somewhat afraid to dive back in this time. If Hop Devil wasn't so damn good, I probably wouldn't have. Anyway, when fresh, this is outstanding. Despite the slight alcohol burn, it disappeared quickly. "Hoppiness is happiness" indeed.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a lighter golden amber color with a huge foamy white head that resists fading. Nice lacing patterns. The smell is a flowery pine and citrus hops. Nicely carbonated, the mouth feel is full bodied with a nice balance of hop tingling bitterness and malty character. Full flavored, the taste is really hoppy with solid citrus wonder that finishes with a lesser sweetness. A real nice drinker. The 8.5 % ABV isn't exactly a session beer, but it's arrival is just in time for the holidays.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Pours shimmering bronze with 2+ fingers of fluffed up cream colored head. Great head retention & good lacing

S: Lemons & pineyness in copious amounts

T: Lemons & grapefruit, with kiss of honey malt then loads of pine up front. More of the same as this warms. Finishes with an all out hop assault, too much grapefruit for my tastes

MF: Medium-bodied, a bit oily with low carbonation. I'd preferred a bit more maltyness

Drinks good, but not a huge fan on the OTT grapefruit hoppyness. Hopheads might want to hoard this before the price rise hits, pricey enough as is. Not a bad DIPA, but plenty better out their IMO

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Pours into a dry pint glass with several fingers of foam, it settles into a compact and fluffy head. Rings and wisps of foam, it's a nice pint to look at. The color is an amber jewel tone, with a few lazy upward-moving bubbles.

Aroma is heavenly...fruity and juicy like Amarillo, clean and grassy like Saaz. The aroma doesn't hang around long enough, but that initial blast is really something. Malt is in there too to back it up.

Light mouthfeel, but bigger than your average IPA or pale ale. Mild astringency/bitterness at first, pink grapefruit pith, descending into more pale malt flavors, before a bracing finish. Very long, and bitter end. Reminds me of the aftertaste after tasting a fresh hop cone, that bitterness that just never fades. Light suggestion of honey a few minutes after the swallow, once the bitterness subsides.

Fairly easy to drink, especially so in warmer weather i'd imagine. Highly recommended for hop heads.

4.27/5  rDev +4.9%

Reviewing the 2007 release fresh. I'd purchased the 2006 this year and drank it after the drink by date,

A: Crystal clear goldish-copper pour with a cream head

S: It's incredible how different this beer is when fresh! The nose is hops - orange, pine, grapefruit - as well as malt - sweet caramel. Very good, very complex. I could keep smelling for a long, long time...

T: Interesting! Unlike most IPA's i've had, this one starts out creamy and well-balanced but finishes hoppy. Very complex, something that's allowed by the fact that this is not a hop Complex.

M: Very creamy and the carbonation is just right.

D: Would i drink another? YES! Can i? NO - this is the only one I picked up :-(

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Light amber with small thin off-white head. Nose of earthy hops and a little pine. Flavors of balanced malt and hops. Hop character seemed like UK/US blend. Very tasty beer, but there was no "Wallop" to be found anywhere in the beer, at any point in the journey from nose to lips to swallow. Also, at 11.99 for a six of this stuff, I can do much better with hoppier beers that cost less, and come from farther away. Hate? No, but take wallop out of the name, and knock the cost back a couple bucks.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

A;golden brown with a healthy head that very slowly disipates leaving a thick lace
S: dense scent of milk thistle
T: pure hoppy embrace with a citrusy salt finish
M: suprisingly smoothe for the amount of hops present in the brew
D: overall a great brew that can be readily enjoyed but was suprisingly lighter then victory's companion hop devil...might be sold better as a spring or summer brew but is a welcome alternative to the densely flooded dark winter seasonal market

4.03/5  rDev -1%

12 oz bottle

A: Pours a perfectly clear golden under a nice frothy white head. Nice lacing and good retention.

S: Mostly fruity hops in smell, with some piney character shining through in the back end. Hop character is more of a tropical fruity rather than citrus.

T: Hoppy, obviously, but not as bitter as I had expected (not to say that it isn't bitter). A nice piney/earthy hop character on the palate with some grapefruit.

M/D: Carbonation is pretty high on this one but nothing that really punches you in the tongue. Light bodied and pretty drinkable. Overall, a pretty nice IPA, not sure if I would call it a double, but pretty good none the less.

1.86/5  rDev -54.3%

Let me start by admitting that I am not a "hop head". But I never let that stop me from trying a new beer. The color is a light orange with some bubbles after a hard pour in a pint glass. No real head is formed and just a hint of foam remains for the tasting. The scent is so faint that I wondered if the beer was bad. Hardly any scent of hops that I have smelled in other hoppy beers. With first taste, I find the beer is very bitter. After making sure the mouthfull touches my whole mouth, I get a faint citrus/herbal taste. But before I can identify the flavors, an incredible aftertaste comes from the back of my mouth and seems to reach to my throat. An almost medicine taste that makes me forget about the first sensations. It coats my mouth and seems to want to not want to go away. I take some time for the taste to leave. I take another taste. and another. With each one the bitterness seems to deminish a bit each time but just a little of the medicine flavor of an aftertaste remains on the very back of my tongue. I have tried most of the Victory's beers and I think I will have to stick to their other fine creations.

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a very clear, light golden color. Looks almost like a lager. Head is white, 1/4 finger, but leaves good lacing and never quite dissipates.

Aroma is of sweet citrus with a hint of pine sap. Taste is indescribably "light" for what it is, with the orange/grapefruit/pine sap dominating the sweet malt backing. As the ale warms, the peppery-sweetness of the malt becomes more evident. I'm totally baffled as to what type of malt it is.

Mouthfeel is light and carbonated, with no hint of the oily phenols that I expect in a double IPA. Very drinkable, even sessionable, if one disregards the 8.5% ABV :)

I must say that I really like Victory. This one is different... sweeter and "lighter", if you will, then a DIPA. I can't quite decide whether I love it or dislike it. I'll have to try it again in a few weeks.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pours a clean orange-ish/ yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, a malty grapefruity/ citrus hop presence. In the taste, a huge grapefruity hop profile, with a nice peppery malt backing. A malty/ bigger body mouthfeel, with a grapefruity hop and dry malt aftertaste. Nice big hops, balanced well with a big malt presence.

3.93/5  rDev -3.4%

A- Pours a golden orange hue with a small but sticky white head which leaves a little bit of lacing. Very few carbonation bubbles are present.

S- Smell is very sweet and malty with hints of piney hops in the background. This reminds me of Titan DIPA which I wasn't a fan of.

T- Taste is very hop forward, with a candy sweet maltiness hiding in the background. The finish is fairly dry and bitter.

M- Very carbonated and a lot thinner than I was expecting from the nose.

D- This beer attempts to be a very hop forward DIPA and certainly suceeds at that. What keeps it from being up there with Pliny, Dreadnaught, Double simcoe etc. is the fact that it just doesn't balance enough. Very close to being a great DIPA with a few minor setbacks.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Is that one of the seven dwarves on the bottle? Drinky? Hoppy? No, it's Horace "Hop" Wallop, and he has a story to tell!

In general I like Victory brews, and I like hops, so when I saw Hop Wallop at my local Binny's, I jumped at the chance. I picked up a 6 pack for a very reasonable price.

This beer sits somewhere between IPA and DIPA; it's definitely "bigger", if you will, than your sierra nevada pale ale and such, but it's not in the same category as say, Maharaja or 120 minute.

I don't know what this beer looks like since I poured it directly from the bottle to my mouth. This beer is all hops. There's a lot of citrus, with the more earthy, bitter flavors in the background a bit. The alcohol is very well masked.

Overall a top notch IPA, especially considering the price.

EDIT: I should mention that the bottles I had had no date on them. I know some people have had issues with old beer, but I don't know when mine were brewed.

2.66/5  rDev -34.6%

Poured a clear golden color with a thin white head. No lacing.

Smelled like a mass produced beer. Faint hops. Not very pungent at all.

Taste is totally different than the smell. Tons of bitter hops. Slight sweetness on the front palate followed by bitter citrus rind, and even more bitterness on the back palate. Tasted a little unbalanced.

High carbonation with a creamy mouthfeel.

I really like Victory but I wasn't impressed with this offering.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%

I picked up a single bottle because I have too many hop bombs on hand. First time enjoying this one despite living fairly close to the brewery. Maybe I'll search out for more if this turns out as great as advertised.

Pours out a clear gold with a hint of amber. The beer is only a few shades darker than a pils and features a somewhat unique color, that seems somewhat bland in my opinion. The head is about one finger deep with an ecru coloring. Very little amount of carbonation rises slowly to the top.

Smells of piney citric hops. All grape fruit and pine needles here. Maybe some hints of caramel to balance things out a bit. Solid, but I've sniffed better.

In a word, nice. Taste is the best feature of this beer aside from drinkability. Grape fruit and resinous hops are all there with a sweet malt background that keeps things together. All hops, but not in a disdainfully bitter sense. Well down Double IPA.

Mouthfeel is dead center medium with prickly carbonation that enhances the hop flavors. Drinkability is way to easy and this brew is dangerously deceiving. A great hop head dream that grew on me until the glass emptied.

4.7/5  rDev +15.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The brewers of victory really know what they're doing here. This imperial IPA satisfies everything I look for in an exceptional beer.

Love the bottle design and the story of Horace "Hop" Wallop on the side, even though it hurt my eyes big time to read it... Pours an ambery, goldenish copper with awesome off-white head with tons of lacing.

The smell is Hoptacular hoppiness (so is the taste), piny and citrusy.

It's true that hoppiness is happiness, tasted hops intertwined with grapefruit and other citrus flavors.

The mouthfeel is pure bliss- "it's like there's a party in my mouth and everyone's invited!"

For an imperial IPA I could sure session this beer if I wanted to- tis a crying shame this beer is seasonal.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

I've reviewed this beer before, but the newest version(drink by Nov. 08) is just out and it deserves updating.
Hops are still what this beer is about, floral citrus in the aroma which dominates everything else.
The flavor is hoppy as well. The first thing on the tongue is bitter grapefruit, which is followed with just enough malt undertone to provide some balance. The finish is like the start, dominated by bittering hops.
If you don't like hops you won't like this beer, but for me the longer I drink beer, the more I like hops, so this beer has grown on me in a big way. I do think that this is one of the better releases of this beer, one more example of a high quality beer by a high quality brewer.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

On cask at the VBC.

Pours a cloudy, golden caramel color with a big creamy, vanilla white head that left some excellent lacing down the glass. Aroma is prominent floral hops and citrus with a slight undertone of sweetness and heat.

Taste is a bitter hop bomb throughout highlighted by a very strong floral citrus character. Underlying sweet maltiness is present but gets overpowered way too easily and seems to be there just for the hops to ride along on. Bitterness and alcohol just coats your palette in the finish, in an ending that you wont soon forget until the next sip. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, silky smooth, and delicous.

Wow, this was my first experience with this beer on cask and it was quite a memorable one. Not for the hoppy faint of hearted but ectasy for serious hop heads. Unfortunately that combo of hops and alcohol make it a serious sipper and I seriously doubt that I could (or would) want more than one in a sitting, so it takes a hit in the drinkability department. If your able to find this guy on cask outside of the brewery, do yourself a favor, batten down the hatches, and set sail for one hoppy ride.

2.71/5  rDev -33.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass.

A = Slightly murky orange-ish amber. Forms a head of medium to small bubbles which dissipates pretty quickly leaving good lacing on the glass and a nice film on the surface. Light amount of carbonation bubbles of medium size. Would grade it higher if not for the hazy clarity.

S = Strong alcohol presence with an almost anti-septic smell, once you get past that it has pine with hints of citrus, not a lot of malt.

T = Lots of hops taste, mostly pine but also some lemon, maybe even a hint of lime and flowers. Lots of bitterness throughout the drink and with a long dry, bitter finish. The alcohol kick is a little too much. If you like straight bitter hops, this definitely does fits the bill. There is not nearly enough balance though, I barely even detect malt flavors. Final view is it is unbalanced and the alcohol was almost antiseptic.

M = Medium bodied, great amount of carbonation giving it a frothy silky mouthfeel. Good mouthcoating.

D = This beer is good but has limited appeal for serious hopheads who can also accept the high ABV.

I meant to review this brew last season, and I ended up just drinking my last bottle and couldn't review it. I have had to wait about seven months for this to be released again. It was worth the wait - I really enjoy this beer. It isn't the best DIPA out there, but it is pretty tasty.

Poured a 12 oz. bottle into a DFH snifter.

Appearance - It is a light honey gold color. Pours completely transparent. It produces a 1 finger head that slowly dissipates to a paper-thin crown. It leaves behind a decent amount of lacing.

Smell - The scent is primarily hops. There is a lot of pine, citrus grapefruit, pineapple, honey and caramel scents. The honey and caramel smells are very subdued. The scent is very floral in nature.

Taste - Hops, and not much else. I get flavors of pine, grapefruit, and lemon zest. There is a slight hint of caramel malt, but you have to dig deep for it. It is definitely a bitter hop bomb. It tastes really good, but this is far from balanced. It lives up to its namesake, to be sure.

Mouthfeel - This is medium bodied, but on the lighter side of medium. The carbonation level helps to cut through the bitterness. It has a slightly dry finish.

Drinkability - Good. This is a pretty easy drinking DIPA. The bitterness keeps making me go back to take another sip, and it pairs excellently with a spicey meal. I have had two this evening, and that is my limit.

This is one of my favorite offerings from Victory. Tasty stuff.

4.06/5  rDev -0.2%

A: pale yellow.. minimal head.. not inviting for a dIPA

S: lovely citrus hops.. lots of them in fact.. dash of pine and some alcohol

T: mirrors the aroma .. in a good way.. i got the citrus hops first before a bit of pine finished off the beer nicely.. some malts were felt throughout

M: super-smooth.. nice crisp finish with a bit of lingering hop goodness

O: very enjoyable... if i was blind and didnt think i was drinking coors light it might have been even more impressed

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

This is my first review!! How exiting. I've been into craft beer for over a year now, so I believe it is time!
Why not start with a wallop??

Appearance: Comes in a brown, 12 oz. bottle. According to the bottle it is a "Very Hoppy Ale" and clocks in at 8.5% ABV. There is a comical picture of an old man prospector, foaming at the mouth and seeming quite happy. A story accompanies this man, whose name is Horace "Hop" Wallop. A heartwarming tale of a prospector down on his luck, who gets out of the gutter when he discovers this hoppy brew.

Beer pours a light golden yellow with a hint of orange. There is a small white head, but this is from a pour on the gentle side. The head dissipates, and leaves a small faint, bubbly ring of lacing.

Smell: Hops! Piney and citrus hops. Sweet and sticky, yet spicy. Grapefruit. After agitation, there are some soft breadey notes from the malts. What a smell!

Taste: Grapefruit and piney hops immediately upon hitting mouth. Spicy and herbal as well. Malt enters the scene while swallowing, felt on the back of the palate. A soft bready, cereal note balances your ballet a little, but Hops is the predominate flavor. It persists in the after taste, leaving a leafy taste, with some grapefruit and herbalness. Not sure when (or if!?) the aftertaste goes away. A constant reminder "Hey! You're drinking a beer! And don't you forget it!" As the beer warms, the malt backbone becomes more present, and the hops a bit spicier.

Mouthfeel: Light body, but has some smooth creaminess to it. Carbonation is present, but not dominating.

Drinkability: Surprisingly very drinkable, considering the hops and an above average ABV (not for an IIPA, just in general). Not sure about this being a session beer for me. I'd probably only have one or two at a time. However, that depends on my mood. If i get into hoppy moods, i could definitely see this as a session beer, kinda like when i get into spicy moods and eat non-stop spicy foods for a week.

The main thing here is, as it suggests, Hops. So in that regard, it does well. You get exactly what you see, and if you're a hophead, or just looking for a hop fix, it's great!

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Single bottle poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Bronze mixture with orange highlights and a good inch of froth that hung out for a while. Laced very well, impressive presentation.

S - Aroma here of course is big on hop tinge, but there is a bit of balance displayed with the citrus, lemons and grapefruit, and even some pine. Makes the mouth water.

T - Mild bitterness, slight sweetness from the citrus notes, but, most noteably, huge pine hop blast. Almost minty in a way, but together it tastes great and masks the abv completely.

M - Medium to full bodied, great carbonation level, left a piney residue in the mouth that made me want another sip.

D - Pretty good, this was a godsend after trying Stoudt's double. Single-handedly renewed my faith in double IPA's. I'd take another any day, recommended.

3.77/5  rDev -7.4%

A light copper color crystal clear with an off white head along with average lacing.
Smell is dominated by citrus- orange mostly grapefruit and of course pi ne.
Taste mimmicks the smell with a hint of vanilla but on the finish is definitely overpowered by the bitter hop finish mixing with the small malt sweetness.
Mouthfeel is average to medium, leaves a nice coating on the palate and lips.
For me the drinkability is exceptional for the style ,DIPA. Most DIPA's i've had lately are pretty heavy handed by the citrus bitterness but this one is pretty well balanced. Again, for the style i feel this could be sessionable, but , proceed with caution!
One or the top 2 of this style to date for me, will be heading out for more soon. YUM!

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

This 07' version is a lot different and better than last years.
The color is more amber , more of a complex piney-grapefruity aroma.
The flavor is more complex....again more grapefruit-pine....last years tasted more like a Saaz to me. It's just as bitter as before , but there is more of a sweet malt backdrop....not too much though. Alcohol is more evident in this version and compliments the hop "wallop".
Pretty drinkable even @ 8.5%...I'm looking for more than one with this. Very good.
I just noticed that my refrigerator is getting Victory dense....Hop Wallop, Golden Monkey, Storm King...all good.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown