Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Alströms:
4.5

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

A: Straw to pale gold in color. Creamy, white head is thick, but disappears quickly.

S: All citrus. Just like smelling a grapefruit. Intense, fruity hop aroma. Great preview of what's to come. This is what a double IPA should smell like.

T: Intense citrus hop flavors up front. The malt struggles to balance. A light malt sweetness is barely detectable. Hops are very dominant. Finishes very dry.

M: Medium bodied. Low to moderate amount of carbonation makes for a surprisingly smooth brew. However, I'd prefer a little more crispness.

D: The juicy citrus flavors make for a very drinkable beer, despite the high ABV. This might actually be quite refreshing on a hot summer day. A true double IPA, this one's all hops.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

V.07

Golden haze with quick-to-fade head, sheeted lacing.
Thick, clean aroma that is hoppy indeed.
Taste is bitter upfront, with some sweet fruit to follow, but the hop bite comes right back to smack you.
Then a somewhat cloying, sticky mouth destroys what should have been a clean, refreshing finish. Mouthfeel could've/should've been a lot exacting.
Is it good? Yes. Paired with food, this could lend itself to multiple consumption, but on it's own, it's a bit too messy for me.

4.04/5  rDev -1.5%

For hops, there's nothing better! Poured from a 12oz. bottle. The beer pours a clear gold, forming a 1/2 creamy head, and leaving light rings of lace on the glass. The aroma is strictly hops. The taste is the sharp bite of hops, along with a nice citrusy finish. Nothing really complex about the taste. Medium mouthfeel. If it were'nt for the higher alcohol level of this brew, I would say it would be a great session ale for the hop lovers. I personally love this beer! Not too complex, but definitely satisfies the hops craving.

I gave this one 4.0's across the board. This isn't neccessarily my style, but for what it is and the hop fanatics toward whom it's targeted, I think it is a really nice example of the style. It poured a cloudy yellow orange colour with a snow white foamy head. It actually looked a bit like orange juice with white foam on top. Nice sticky white lacing coats the sides of my pint glass. The smell is very citrusy, which is a bit amusing since this looks a little like Sunny Delight. Actually, the hops are just about all I can smell in this one.
Taste is pretty much juicy, bitter, citrusy hops all the way through. Not much else. This is certainly aptly named. Mouthfeel is right on target for the style. I could certainly see having a few of these later on in the summer when it's hot out.
As I said earlier, this isn't exactly my style, but it's a fantastic example of the style, and I still really enjoyed it. Thanks to Aprilluvsbeer for including this on a trade.

4.64/5  rDev +13.2%

Thanks to Markgugs for the opportunity to try this one. Poured into aDFH shaped pint. The body was Lupulin yellow/golden and hazy. The head was a solid white and acheived two fingers of volume. The head left nice ladder rungs down the glass.

Smell was fantastic. Tangy, lemonade-like. Very floral. Earthy. Husky grains. Pilsner-like in it's presentation.

Taste was not as bitter as expected. Juicy citrus sweetness and only enough bitterness to counter. There was enormous hops flavor, but without the scorching bitterness. Mineral traces (?). Almost like a pilsner on hop steroids. A very unique DIPA.

Mouthfeel was zesty carbonation and a slightly oily bittering finish. Very interesting.

3.69/5  rDev -10%

Pours a hazy golden color with one finger of fluffy white head. Decent retention and very sticky lacing. Smell is orange and grapefruit, some pine...smells somewhat sweet but also bitter. The citrusy hops smell delicious, however, and for me the nose is the real strength of this beer. Taste starts off very citrusy, orange and grapefruit but mostly orange, but bittering hops soon take over and overpower everything else. There's a subdued malt sweetness but the malt backbone really doesn't stand a chance against the hops...making it pretty unbalanced. Moutfeel is slick and somewhat creamy.

I like this beer but I can't session it...the bitter hop bite lingers too long and is just too strong to have more than 1 or 2. In fact, 1 is pretty much enough.

I am a hophead so I enjoyed this brew, but I poured half a bottle for my brother in law who I am nursing into better beer and it ripped his palate to shreds. He couldn't kick the bitterness for hours. Such is the power of Hop Wallop if you're not a hophead - for my taste even more bitter and brutal on the palate than most DIPAs. Be aware or beware.

3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

12 oz. Bottle poured into a pint glass.

A: Hazy golden in color with soft orange hues. Fluffy white head pours two fingers thick. Decent retention. Nice sticky lacing.

S: Citrus juices. Pine resins. Spice. Herbs. Fresh Baked bread.

T: Citrus or grapefruit juce is overtaken by a blast of citrus and pine hops that have a spicy bitterness to them. Soft caramel malts lend a biscuty presence but are beaten back by more big hop flavors. The beer finishes crisp with a wet grass or earthy taste.

M: Smooth and slightly slick. Minimal carbonation. Warm and dry.

D: Hopheads come and get it! This beer will cure your hop fix. A tad unbalanced for my tastes, but a nice brew none the less. Recommended.

Bought a single, with a best before date of October 23, 2007.

A- a Bright gold in color, but hazy. A thin off-white head.

S- Scent of hops and yeast. Not strong however.

T- It tasted strongly of bittering hops, however the finishing hops seem muted.

M- Very carbonated, with a dry finish.

D- This is not one of Victory's better brews, maybe the bottle I sampled wasn't handled properly, but I expected more from this brewery.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Drank on-tap at Eli Cannon's Tap Room, Middletown, CT

Poured a clear, straw yellow with a tight, foamy, white head that slowly faded to a thick ring of lace. Large drips of lacing fell all along the glass.

Aroma was sweet, fruity and quite fragrant with some leafy hoppiness hiding in the background. Notes of granny smith apples, tropical fruits and cotton candy came through strong.

The taste however was drastically different than the nose. Biting, citrusy hops attacked the palate from the start and never let up. A soft malty base was present, but it seemed to do far more in terms of mouthfeel than flavor. As for the flavor, it changed little as the beer moved along the palate. The hops turned more puckering, dry and bitter and a slight alcohol kick was apparent in the back of the mouth. The long-lasting finish was incredibly dry, hoppy and almost astringent at times. I cannot remember the last time I had a beer that made me so thirsty.

Body was medium for the style with a rich, creamy and frothy mouthfeel.

While this beer excelled in many aspects, its lack of balance and complexity made it rather unappealing. (Where were the rich orange peel, grapefruit and pine sap flavors I am used to having in a typical double IPA?)

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

A: Golden color with a white 1 finger head that shrinks fast. noticeable bubbles.

S: sweet, sweet, sweeet There is a prominent citrus sweetness, with some hoppy aroma as well

T: almost too sweet fo rme. there is hops, bitterness, sweetness. its good, but i wish it was a lil more balanced. a quick swash in the mouth creates a dry bitter taste throughout my mouth, this style would probably go very good with greasy food as most ipas, dipas do. when the beer warms a bit, the flavors become more gentle, more balanced. but i still wish for a bit more, this is enough to bump taste to 4 though

m: had to lower the boom on mouthfeel because im not a fan of a dryer beer. i know a lot of ipas, dipas are dry by nature, but ive had ones that balance it better. this dryness however would go great with food, but i would like the beer to stand alone.

D: would be higher, if as i stated at least twice now this beer could stand alone better. i think this beer would be great with burgers or pizza, or similar fair, but as a beer to just sit back and enjoy, its a bit too unbalanced and dry for me. still a very good beer though.

3.68/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

$11.99 (?) or more for a 6 pack at Lone Hill Liquor in Glendora, CA. in March 2006. Reviewed the last bottle of the bunch.

Pours a pretty, clear golden amber with a nice very white fluffy head that drops to a nice cover that hangs around a bit. Stickage all over the walls of the Imperial pint glass.

Aroma is hoppy- but what hoppy? Very aromatic, grassy, weedy- a field of overgrown grass and lots of weeds in bloom on a warm spring day after the dew lifts. I am both drawn to it and repelled simultaneously. Slight oiliness.

Flavor follows through with lots of sharp oily hops. Slightly sweet maltiness hidden underneath- honey and whole grain bread, maybe even molassas. I like it and don't like it at the same time.... what a concept. Rich and full mouth, astringent at the end.

I'll admit, I have really mixed feelings of this after a six pack (not all at once, of course). In some ways, I do like it, in others it is really not the hops bill that I like. So what to do? I guess the answer is that is interesting, I am glad to try it, good show Victory, thanks for the chance, but now I'll move on to something I know I like.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Ah, the Hop Wallop, how you continue to impress...

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint glass. The Wallop appears an opaque golden color with a fat, bubbley two-finger head on top. Kinda looks like a Belgian white due to the cloudy nature of it. The head eventually settles, leaving a thick ring of intricate lace all around the glass. Very cool. The bouquet is hoppy and strong. I don't know what kind of hops are used in this beer, but it honestly smells like marijuna. Not joking. It has that sticky cannibas scent to it. But it's hoppier, with some citrus and some pine. What a great aroma. I should've poured this into a snifter to really capture everything. Taste is sweet up front, with malty notes of lemon, pineapple, and pear. The middle begins to shift into a tangy bitterness. And the finish is stong, hoppy, and bitter. Leaves a heavy bitter aftertaste. Man, I really like this beer. Very drinkable for such a potent IPA. You can tell that there's some alcohol here, but it's not overwhelming at all. It's more subdued by the strong bitter finish. Smooth, creamy mouthfeel. Another very nice beer by the folks at Victory.

3.75/5  rDev -8.5%

Bottled marked "enjoy by Nov 06 2007," a gift from a very good friend. Pours blush-orange into a giant wine glass. The head is a film of big soapy bubbles; terrific lacing, as I'd expect for the style.

The aroma is eye-stinging pine resin and grapefruit. Hoppy, hoppier, hoppiest.

There is fleeting evidence of a bicuity malt backbone in the opening, but the taste quickly turns into mouth-scarring hops that rape and pillage your mouth. A mouthful of this beer stimulates the bitter tastebuds on the back of my tongue to an almost unbearable extent.

Holy living fuck, this is a hoppy beer.

The mouthfeel is creamy but a bit thin, and the carbonation isn't as brisk as I'd like for a DIPA.

All told, the most single-mindedly hoppy DIPA I've ever tasted in my life. There's an element of this beer that I really like-- it's completely dedicated to pure, unbalanced hoppiness for its own sake, and I respect the goal. Victory has followed West Coast brewing to its logical conclusion on the East Coast. It's not complex, and it's not particularly imaginative, but it's most definitely an extreme beer and an honest one. This is a tunnel-vision beer, and if I'm ever in the mood for hops without any other flavors or smells to get in the way, I'll know exactly where to look.

Not a session beer, but it could be if you ripped your tongue out, I guess.

RERATE: Consumed cold on my friend's advice. Primary hop aroma becomes less dominant, and I notice a faint orangey smell. I noticed this in the previous bottle as well, but it was so slight that I thought I might be hallucinating it to meet the word count. Flavor is the same as before, but the bitterness becomes a bit less edgy-- more drinkable but less interesting.

4.69/5  rDev +14.4%

Recieved this bottle in a trade with JasonM.

Pours a beautiful golden color. Head settles quickly leaving some faint lacing on the surface. Smell is of pine with the faintest of grapefruit. Taste is just the right amount of grapefruit with the faintest hint of pine. Hmm. Mouthfeel is nice and full bodied, just the right amount of thickness. Very little bitter aftertaste. One of the easiest drinking DIPA's i've ever had the pleasure of trying. Sure, you can find one with more bitterness, or less balance, but why would you want to?

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Hoppy Hoppy Joy Joy

Wonderfully hoppy brew here...

it pours an opaque brass color with little head that settles quickly leaving lace stains down the sides of my pint glass.

it smells of piney hops on top of piney hops, yummy!

this beer will knock a hop head's socks off, and leaves such a sweet bitterness it makes the drinker crave more (sorta like eating spicy food).

even though it's 8.5% abv, I still consider it a really good drinkable ale.

Sure, amatuers will fall but it gives the rest of us something to laugh at!

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

It pours a yellow gold with a frothy white head. The head has some staying power too. It starts about 1" thick and slowly settles to about 1/4" then stops leaving a frothy rim about the glass. The appearance is a little cloudy but clean (no floating particles).
The aroma is a citrus, orange, grassy smell.
The first taste bursts out with hops and is followed with the warmth of alcohol. It leaves a nice sharp bitter after taste.
After the second drink there is still a small head and heavy lacing around the glass.
It also has a nice full bodied mouth feel.
Very well done!

3.88/5  rDev -5.4%

Thanks for hooking me up with this biegaman, long time in tasting!

Pours a clear golden amber, thin white head forms, nice lacing, spirals on the glass, settles to a nice ring around the glass. Smell is sweet, some honey and caramel, grapefruit and floral hops, bit more citrus, not bad, pretty light. Taste is nice, really thick grapefruit, caramel, floral/citrus, bit of a bitter astringency, almost plasticy, nice full bitterness in the finish. Mouthfeel is nice, full bodied, medium carbonation. Nice drinkable double IPA, but kind of lackluster nowadays, some off flavours but overall I enjoyed this. Thanks Jan!

4.62/5  rDev +12.7%

Mmm...

Now that I live in SoCal, I'm in the land of IPAs. I recently visited San Diego and was impressed by every IPA that I laid lips upon, but Victory has shown that PA knows a thing or two about IPA.

All-around grapefruity and sweet. Hops for all the right reasons. Malt is there, but who cares. This is a wallop of hops, just as promised. Sweet, fruity, floral, fresh.

Drawbacks: A little paler than expected and the head didn't hang around. A little light in the mouth, but that makes it all the more drinkable.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

First off, I dunno if I would call this a double IPA... this beer is deceptively smooth and light bodied. It shows less malt character than most IPAs.
With that said, I love this beer!
Pours a golden straw and fairly clear with nice white head that sticks. Not too much smell for me, but faint citrus.
The taste in here is grapefruity hops all the way home. Feels nice and smooth in the mouth and leaves a bitter grip on your tongue and cheek for a few seconds after you swallow.
The best thing about this beer to me is its drinkability. The lack of a sweetish malt character to balance the hops is what makes this beer so great. I can drink my hops without filling up on syrupy brew. The high drinkability I rate this beer is when served pretty cold... a sweet and slightly alcohol taste comes up when it heats up... so drink it cold and fast! 8.5% alcohol by volume, its like a 40oz... but its 12oz; and it tastes good, and it cost 3X's as much...

3.25/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a hazy, orange/peach color with small head for an IPA. Head settles to sparse splotches.
Smell of peach, orange zest, pine and some sweet malt.
Taste is overpowered by the hops. That's it. Hops, pine, some citrus zest. Not much else
Too conentrated on hops (hence the name), but I expected some complexity and flavor.

3.4/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Executive Summary: This is not your mother's Imperial IPA. It departs from the textbook style in several ways. The flavor profile leaves almost no room for malt attributes. The mouthfeel is a little thin. I would prefer to see this classified as an IPA.

Appearance: Pours a slightly hazy straw/golden color. Head is more than a finger thick and hangs fairly tight. Very good lacing. A few floaters in here.

2006 Edition - "Enjoy by Oct 19 06"

Smell: Citrus and pine hops are about all I get. No malt detectable here.

Taste: Similar in profile to the smell - fairly one-dimensional in that you get little to no malt character and a full-blown hop blast. Hop flavors mix nicely, and the bitterness is something to be reckoned with. Malt is only present enough to keep the hops from ripping holes in your tastebuds.

Mouthfeel: Not nearly as thick or sticky as most other Imperial IPAs I've had. In fact, this one feels more like an aggressive IPA. Light to moderate carbonation doesn't get in the way of the hops.

Drinkability: While an exercise in hop domination, this one isn't perfectly balanced, and I'd be hard-pressed to put more than two of these away in a session. My taste buds are already asking for something different after one bottle.

4.45/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This ale pours a hazy honey-straw color, remarkably light color for a DIPA. I compared and it is only a shade darker than a Miller High-Life (but nowhere near as clear, for the haziness). There wasn't much head, but, oddly enough, a little lacing hung around. The small was citrus, specifically grapefruit.

The taste was grapefruit and slightly grassy. This taste is so grapefruit, it makes me think of the little glass bottles you once could buy in the convenience stores, about 7 oz bottles of Tropicana Grapefruit Juice, containing bitter gray juice. Well, this beer reminds me of that but it's better. In the mid-palate there was the *faintest* momentary hint of sweetness, banished in a millisecond by everlasting bitterness. The finish is a little grainy and bitter.

Mouthfeel was clean and astringent. It has a pretty light body, well carbonated, and little to no apparent heat from the alcohol. A little chewey.

Drinkability is great for a DIPA, very easy drinking. There's no doubt this could sneak up on you, but many of the downsides of DIPAs are not here, the oversweetness, the readily apparent contribution of alcohol to the taste. For the unrepentent hophead, this is remarkable stuff, highly recommended.

Addendum: I enjoyed this ale on cask at the Barcade in Brooklyn, NY, May '09. What great stuff. There was minimal head or lacing, but the aroma had lemony and apricot elements. Quaffing yielded lingering bitterness, with alcohol evident. Mouthfeel was slightly oily. Could drink it all night.

Photo of
4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

12 oz. bottle.

Slightly hazy, golden fluid, with a large, rocky, white head.

Pine tree in a bottle. Just a hint of biscuity/bready aroma pops through the leaves occasionally.

The taste is grapefruit juice. After a bit of temperature increase, I get a little bit of biscuity flavor and some honey in there. Maybe some peaches. Pepper and peppermint at the finish. The bitterness lingers nicely into the aftertaste. In case you didn't pick up on it - this beer is about the hops, balanced it ain't!

Medium in body. Medium + carbonation. Quite drying. Alcohol warmth hits you rather fast.

Very Nice. I had this the first time about a year ago, and didn't care for it much. Thought I would try it again following my conversion to a hophead. Glad I did and would strongly recommend it.

4.1/5  rDev 0%

Thanks to jasonm for this!

A golden, yellow beer with a thin, bubbly head.

Smell is citric hoppy (oranges) with blackberries, some fruit and hard candy. Light grapefruit and in the back some moist basement smell. I didn't know how to descirbe this in a better way.

Taste is bitterrrr, like raw hops resulting in a resinous, piney and oily hoppiness. There is very little malt to be tasted, this beer is 99% about hops. The remaining 1% is slightly biscuity and bready. I like it to be a little more malty. Some blackberry and red fruit add a nice touch to an otherwise somewhat one-dimensional beer. Mouthfeel is mild.
Drinkability is very good, once my mouth got used to the bitterness (numbed), it went down easily.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

Poured from a 12-oz. bottle into my trusty pint glass.

A first glance revealed a golden-orange color and about 1.5 fingers of head, which diminished to some sturdy lacing after about 30 seconds. A fairly attractive beer.

The smell is what intrigued me, however. Zesty, citrus scents are immediately present, most noticeably sweet orange marmalade. A subdued lemon rind smell lingers in the backgorund.

The first sip is a pleasant surprise. Not only is the orange marmalade readily apparent, but there are also some sweet malty notes, and here's the kicker: the faintest hint of white pepper. This beer has a lot going on in the flavor department, yet everything meshes together to make for an enjoyable drinking experience.

The mouthfeel is nothing spectacular, but it seemed to work really well for this style of beer. It is thick enough to help you from getting into trouble with the 8.5% ABV, but thin enough for an IPA.

All in all, a delightful offering, but between the high-ish ABV and the massive hop presence, I wouldn't want to have more than one at a time. But I will certainly enjoy the rest of this six-pack, one wallop at a time.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown