Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
2.67/5  rDev -34.4%

Serving 12oz bottle freshness date best before Oct 07

With the ignoble and unbecoming looks of a translucent pale yellow macro lager this brew pours with a very quickly dissipating dismal white head that leaves nearly no lace behind. Respectable columns of find to course bubbles welling up through the sickly yellow body is this beer's only saving grace on appearance.

Sharp aromas of acidic lemon, astringent citrus, yeast, dry grass and minerals with a metallic edge come through on the nose.

This brew comes closer to an english bitter style, or an esb such as Rogue's brutal bitter, than a DIPA. Leafy hop bitters and tons of bitter lemon zest are brutal on the palate providing a firm grip from start to finish. A bit of metallic minerals, pale malt and bitter yeast poke through on the mid palate with bitter yeast and hops taking hold on the clean finish. Grassy hops stick around to provide a fine aftertaste. Clearly, this beer lives up to it's name, but the hop flavors don't have the pulpy and juicy citrus character I crave, instead the hops come through as grassy and bitter with lots of citrus zest. Further, the hops and yeast try to pull off a solo performance without relying on malts for proper support, this leaves a nagging absence of flavor and depth.

Mouthfeel is thicker and fuller than a normal ipa with a good slick feel. This is incredibly straightforward and simple, it forfeits enough of my interest on the first to keep me from having a second.

I'm a big fan of Victory's brews but I can think of many other DIPAs that are far superior to this one including Stone Ruination, DFH 90 minute, Hercules Double IPA, Maharaja and Unearthly.

Victory? Sorry, not today and not with this brew.

a: clear golden color, with single strip of carbonation in the middle, nice head that dissolves very quickly, no real lacing
s: herbal like pine combs with medicinal hints
t: front-end is sweet, but the hops make their appearance known at the end with a bitter kick
m: light body, some carbonation
d: not bad, but have enjoyed others more. flavor is too herbal for me and didn't go down too smoothly. a disappoint as i've really enjoyed some other victory brew.

3.96/5  rDev -2.7%

Hot damn, it almost taste like I ground up hops pellets and dumped them in a pilsner. But better. This sucker is 8.5% and drink relatively easy (for the bitternes) and without any interferenece of balance (pick one) from malts. This is all bawdy hops flavors. Nothing nice and finished tasting like so many DIPAs.

The smell is nothing special, just sweet and bitter spice like found in Victory’s Prima Pils, a hoppy European-style lager. The flavor is an intense, wild mess of fresh hop flavors with a bitter punch. Complex in flavor, it’s grassy, and citrus, pine-like and spicey

3.86/5  rDev -5.2%

12 oz. bottle with a cartoon picture of good ol' Horace "Hop" Wallop. Horace Wallop is just a fictional Victory character that was made just for this beer. Horace is an old 49er who obviously loves to make hoppy beers while panning for gold. Hoppy beers to Horace is what an energy drink/coffee is to a normal American. The picture of Horace on the label is a bit odd. He has this look on his face while he is licking his lips like he sees a huge gold nugget, good food, a woman (it gets lonely out there in river while he's panning for gold), or just a hoppy beer. I don't know which, but I would have to guess he's looking at a woman. But watch out for this 49er because good ol' Horace is rabid. He has foam around the mouth like he's got rabies. He probably contracted rabies while he was panning for gold in the river and when he's back was turned to a forest, a rabid squirrel or raccoon came up from behind and bit him on the leg. Ouch! Somebody needs to put old Horace down! To the left of old Horace on the label is a nice paragraph about the legend of Hop Wallop, and ABV%. To the right of the paragraph and just under the brim of Horace's hat is a clearly marked best before date. Mine is best before Oct. 25th, 2007. To the right of Horace is just the Government warning and barcode. It's just another great Victory label that I enjoyed.

Appearance: I decided to pour Hop Wallop into my small Great Lakes Christmas Ale Snifter. What came out was a beer that was a bright yellow gold color. It's the color that is most favored by Horace himself because to a 49er like him (and to everybody else in the world) gold means big $$$. The head of foam (no pun intended because Horace has rabies) was a pearl white color and about half an inch in height. It had OK retention that left behind a trace of white rings and white lace around the glass.

Smell: When I first popped the cap off good ol' Hop Wallop, a strong aroma of bitter sweet grapefruits came out. When poured into the glass, the bitter sweet grapefruit was still there as well as piney hops, a touch of German malts, and some non-citrus fruits in the background. The non-citrus fruits aroma will get stronger if you swirl the beer around. When I first took a whiff of this beer, I got a miniature whiff of what I thought a 49er would smell like after he hasn't taken a bath in over a week. Somehow Horace got into the bottle.

Taste: On the label they say it's a VERY hoppy ale. It is true that it is a hoppy ale, but I've had beers that are much hoppier than this beer. To me, it's somewhere below very hoppy and more near extra hoppy. The initial taste is that bitter citrus hops that give way into bitter piney hops. After the hop wallop comes the citrus fruits, a pinch of grass and then that leads the flavor to a short burst of dry German malts at the end. I believe that the taste of the beer is something ol' Horace would enjoy while he's panning for gold and running away from rabid animals.

Mouthfeel: Hop Wallop is a medium bodied robust ale with an aftertaste of bitter citrus hops and dry roasted malts. Victory says the alcohol content is 8.5%, but I couldn't taste it or even feel it for that matter.

Drinkability: Was I walloped by hops? Not really, but I did however enjoy whatever the hop content was in this beer. Is it another victory for Victory Brewing? I would say so and they don't call it Victory Brewing for nothing. Would I buy it again when it's back in season? Hell yeah! It's the best beer money can buy with a rabid miner on the label!

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

I guess it's a good thing when a beer tastes better than it looks...at least better than a good looking beer tasting bad, right? Well that's one this one is to me. Slightly above average smell because the alcohol is nearly absent although it's 8.5 here. The taste is great, though. Boom! At this point I completely understood the story on the label. For a second you think too much happiness might not be good after reading "Happiness is hoppiness". The taste disproves this possibility quickly. Great beer though again at 8.5 although it may seem smooth you might not be smooth. Keep the count down to one hand please.

3.38/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Slightly carbonated apple juice. Extremely clear, little head formation (1/4” max) that quickly dissipated to form a ring around the glass. Little to no lacing. I would expect slightly better head formation/retention if it were warmer.

Smell: Piney hop aromas slight citrus, upon warming slightly, bitter grapefruit notes become more apparent. You can smell flowers too.

Taste: Bitter. I think that the bitterness/hops overwhelms the malt. Tastes more like an APA. I think a little more of the malt to balance the brew would help. Leaves a bitter aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Overall the alcohol (8.5 ABV) is pretty well hidden – only a slight tingle in the aftertaste. Malt comes out and becomes more noticable with warming.

Mouthfeel: About what I would expect for this beer type. It is dry and thin, pretty light mouthfeel. Maybe a little too much carbonation.

Drinkability: If you want hoppy and bitter, this is your beer. If you want more balance, look elsewhere. I have to admit that Victory did a fine job of brewing an 8.5% ABV beer that hides the alcohol well and still maintained a decent level of drinkability (i.e., not too sweet or thick). I probably wouldn’t buy this again, as I feel I can get a similar taste experience elsewhere in a more sessionable beer for less money.

3.71/5  rDev -8.8%

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color, with a thick, fluffy off white head with a slight yellow tint to it. The head fades very slowly, leaving many very thick laces.

This beer has a mild piney aroma. It smells a little more malty than I was expecting. It has a slightly spicy aroma as well. It is unique for a DIPA. After sitting for a few minutes, the alcohol become noticable.

This beer has a floral hop flavor. Some pine flavor mixes in. As with the aroma, there is some spicy flavors. Odd. Also, this beer has a slightly malty sweet taste.

This beer is highly carbonated. Maybe just a little too carbonated for the style. It goes doem smooth, leaving a floral hop aftertaste.

This beer might not be the best session beer because it is mighty agressive tasting. Also, at 8.5%, it might be hard to drink this beer all night.

Overall: I was so excited to finally be able to try this beer. I was having trouble finding it. I finally found a few bottles, and jumped at the chance. I think I was expecting more than I got. This beer is decent, but by no means among my to 10 for the style.

3.35/5  rDev -17.7%

A: Pale yellow and very clear. There is a nice white head on this with great retention.

S: Very floral, grassy, and piney. Good presence of aroma.

T: Pale malts followed by intense rush of grassy hops. This is a pretty damn good iipa.

M: Light body with a crisp feeling. Nice carbonation.

D: Pretty good. Not on my top list of iipas, but this is definitely a good brew.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured a light golden yellow with a very pale, almost white head.
If you like a strong grapefruit taste, you'll probably want to try this. Very HOPPY!
Very light citrus smell and a medium body beer with a very mild alcohol taste.
Very good beer but I probably wouldn't want to drink more than 2 at one sitting. Could pass for a triple IPA and is very good overall.

3.32/5  rDev -18.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

120z bottle, best by 10/25/07

This beer poured a crystal clear orange/tan body with a bright white head.

Nose has a strong resin and pine needle hop smell. Somewhat muted but in your face at the same time. Other touches of citrus, lemons, orange with a mild bread like quality.

Huge "hop wallop" in the initial taste. Medium bodied. Hops, hops and more hops. Very warm alcohol. Pine needles and HUGE citrus peel hops dominate this beer in every sip. There's an initial malt presence and an overall malt backbone but in the end it's nothing but hops. Very bitter and tastes like you're chewing on a combination of aspirin and salt. Finishes is extremely long.

There are hoppy beers and there are hoppy beers, but this is sooo over the top. It's almost a triple IPA. It starts easy but in the end tastes like eating aspirin and rotting lime peel. It just crosses the line for hops.

3.95/5  rDev -2.9%

Picked up a single 12 oz. and poured to my trusty Widmer pint. Enjoy by: Oct 25 07.

A: Surprisingly golden, I'd have almost mistaken this for a tripel, looks-wise. A slight haze of miniscule sediment, like a batch of sea monkeys just hatched. Fairly active streams of carbonation rise to a 1/2 finger white creamy head, which winnows down to a splotchy film.

S: Piney & zesty citrus hops with a notable barley/cereal aroma in the background. Lightly spicy also.

T: Begins malty with a slight barley sweetness. After a couple seconds, the hops kick in hard. Wave after wave of grapefruit/pine bitterness washes over the tongue and sticks.

M: Warmth of the 8.5% comes through - a burning mouthfeel. Layered upon the alcohol is the intense hoppy bitterness mentioned above - full and adhering to the back of the tongue. Medium body with moderate carbonation.

D: This one is a real hop bomb. I appreciate the hops, but I found it lacking in balance and too overwhelming on the tastebuds. It's a good DIPA, one I'd recommend to the "hop heads" out there looking for maxed out IBU's. I, personally, wouldn't want more than one...

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Light yellow-gold color with a cloudy haze to the ale. Very white, creamy head that quickly dissipates yet leaves decent lacing. Aroma is hoppy and has a bit of pine to it; light lemon, spice, and vanilla notes present as well.

As for the taste? Big friggin surprise that there's alot of hops to this ale, barley notes too. I love hoppiness in a beer so it's not a problem for me, but others might be turned off by its dependence on the hoppy flavor. The mouthfeel is of moderate carbonation, and a strong, lasting bite is saved for the back of the tongue. Lacks complexity, though. I'll be having another Hop Wallop someday, but there's just not enough complexity here to keep me drinking..I'll opt for Victory's Hop Devil if given the choice.

3.3/5  rDev -18.9%

Served in pint glass, cold w/best by date of 10/23/07.

A- Bright gold with light cloudy appearance. Active carbonation with little to no head retention.

S- Light floral with no real malt character noticable.

T- Hoppy, but not as hard as expected with a name like Hop Wallop.

M- Lite at first; with alcohol and hops resin coating my throat on the follow thru. This remains long after taste.

D- I love Hops and this delivers. Good for 1 or 2, but higher ABV also prevents this from being a good session beer for me. I will get it the next time it is available in the fall.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

After hearing many great stories of Victory's Double IPA, I was thrilled to get a 6-Pack when it came out this winter. Needless to say, I was not disappointed.

Appearance - Interesting clear, golden color. I have to say it caught me off guard and worried me that the beer wouldn't be as robust as I hoped, thankfully I was wrong.

Smell - Really nice citrus with a note of spice. Smell could've been a bit more powerful thugh.

Taste - The strong citrus flavors come first and do a good job of balancing the hops. The hops in this beer are fantastic in both strength and character. The bitterness/ savory of these particular hops is definetly puts them in a class by themselves

Mouthfeel - The immense flavor of this beer leaves the taste buds tingling and these unique hops leave the mouth extremely satisfied enjoying a great aftertaste.

Drinkability - I just flat out loved this beer! Victory was really my first venture into the Micro world and I am amazed at another of their fine creations. The unique hops will leave true hop heads satisfied for days. I look forward to adding this brew to my collection each year when the Seasonal offering arrives.

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

A- Clear, light golden color. No sediment of any kind, a lot lighter than expected. Small amount of head retention that leaves a little froth at the top.

S- Um... where is the malt backbone here? It smelled like some slightly floral and piney hops with water. Mostly pine.

T- Same as the smell. I was so surprised by how little malt there was. This was just all about the hops.

M- Pretty thin. There is not that much to this beer. Just some piney hops and bitterness.

D- Overall a pretty average DIPA. For some reason I pretty much gave up on this about half way through and just started to drink it without thinking about it and I seemed to enjoy it more that way.

After all the raving about this beer, I was excited to pick some up. Now all I think is I wouldn't go out of my way to get my hands on this.

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

A: Very light amber color with a decent white head that never completely disappears.

S: Some semi citrusy hops with a bit of breadiness.

T: Definitely some hops up front. Citrusy. Not as ridiculously hoppy as I'd expected. Don't get much malt flavor. But it's tasty.

M: Lighter body. Smooth mouthfeel with a bit of carbonation tickle at the end. Easy to drink

D: Very easy to drink a pint of. Personally, I could session this pretty easily.

I'll reserve final judgment until I either have it on tap or know I have a very fresh bottle. It's good as it is, but I was hoping for some crazy hoppiness, as other reviews have pointed out. Or maybe I'm just spoiled living in California. Either way, it's a good solid brew, but I didn't find it too amazing.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Victory Hop Wallop is best served at cool, cellar temperatures (40-50°F) and enjoyed from a traditional pounder or from your favorite drinking vessel. This fall seasonal from Victory pours up very nicely with ample carbonation that creates a short-lived white head that sits atop a slightly hazy, straw-golden body. The hugely fruity aroma is decidely grainy and not-surprisingly very hop oriented with plenty of grapefruity, citrusy tones with just a light dusty note that detracts some from the overall impression. The flavor starts off with some light graininess from the continental malts, but is eventually totally subdued by the consuming bitterness from all those whole flower hops. The marked bitter finish is surprisingly dry and slightly harsh with some alcoholic warmth. This medium bodied hand-crafted India Pale Ale may be well suited for hop heads, but lacks some finesse, depth & complexity compared to the best Double IPA's. Try pairing this one with some of the restaraunt's Drunken Mussels which are freshly beer steamed Blue Mussels served in a spicy, garlic-sunrise broth with a side-order of toasted garlic bread. Here's to the pioneering spirit of old Horace 'Hop' Wallop!

PROST! Beertracker

4.44/5  rDev +9.1%

Amazing! Victory Brewing Company is slowly becoming one of my favorites as they have hit a home run with this one. I tend to shy away from beers that have weird cartoon characters on the label such as this one but oh how glad I am I overlooked that.

Hops hops and more hops. But in a good, not overpowering way. Citrusy and piney and a very pleasing to the nose. The taste is not to disappoint those looking for a quality Double IPA.

3.52/5  rDev -13.5%

Wow, this is some brewski! Pours a nice creamy, craggy, white, pillowy head. Leaves streaks down the glass. Is a beautiful golden color. This one actually, and I love hoppy beers, may be a little over the top in hoppiness. I cannot taste anything but hops, it is not well balanced. It is surely bitter and I cannot detect malts at all. But a beautiful looking beer, nonetheless, that I will be purchasing again.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle poured in a Duvel tulip

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, with a nice creamy head that settles quite quickly

Smell - Incredibly citrusy piney aroma. Subtle hints of lemon as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - This beer is all about the hops. Medium bodied brew, with a malt backbone that is always masked by the hops. It's hard to recognize much else in the taste other than the huge citrus piney blast from the hops. Citrus flavor lingers around even in the aftertaste. Excellent.

One excellent double IPA....Hop Wallop is an great example of the style.

3.38/5  rDev -17%

Beer poured into my Tulip glass, achieving a small head. Bubbles raced up from the middle of the glass.

Nose is very grapefruit full. A slight yeast smell, as well as some hop scents.

Whoa! Now this is a hop monster! Def. The hoppiest beer I've ever had. Malt flavor is slightly sweet, but there is no way you'll get a good taste of the malt with all the hops. A very bitey, bitter brew. My tongue was slightly hot from the hop spice afterwards.

A very light beer on the mouthfeel side.

Drinkability is low, considering the hop monster this beast is. Good brew though!

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottled. A crisp aroma with a distinct tart flair. The first flavor is bright with a grapefruit punch and then comes a bit of tropical fruit flavor (not sure what, maybe guava or papaya?). I like this beer alot, it is unique and hard to find in my area so I had to try it. If this was easier to find I would certainly buy it regularly.

4.62/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

12 oz. bottle to pint glass.

A - A big white head sits delicately over a crystal clear, golden orange body. thin to moderate lacing down the glass.

S - Incredibly hoppy smell with notes of lemon and orange rinds. Oils a-plenty and slightly grassy. There is an almosy pilsner-y malt presence here as well - a surprise in a DIPA.

T - As my mouth got aclimated to extreme bitterness of this beer, i began to taste more of the malts - toasts and biscuits. however, the pine, grassy, and citric flavours of the hops are explosive and batter the tastebuds long after the swallow.

M - Medium body with low carbonation and mild astringency.

D - High, a very enjoyable beer that I would definitely choose again... if i have the courage.
also, for those of you who can't find russian river's pliny the elder, it seems to me that this beer is vastly similar, if not slightly more bitter.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

12oz bottle enjoy by Oct. 24 07

Bottle poured into snifter light golden color with small white head leaving a ring of lace around the glass. Smells like pure hop juice with some floral and citrus aroma. Taste very bitter with flavors of unsweetened grapefruit and a bit of a grassy, flower taste. Feels a little light with a stickiness to it. I'm not yet adjusted to drinking brews with this much hops so it takes me a long time to get them down but I do love the taste and the mouth wreaking havoc they cause to my pallet.

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

Not sure why I waited so long to finally give this one a try, but here goes:

Pours beautiful golden amber. Intense, citrusy American hops in the aroma. Leafy, absurdly fierce hop flavor and bite in the palate along with sweet, alcoholic malt base that fights to balance. Quite drinkable, but between the hops and the alcohol, there’s a bit of a burn to deal with.

All in all, it lives up to the hype; it’s as solid as any double IPA I’ve tried. And, it’s drinkable despite the alcohol and hop bite. Recommended.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown