Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

4.5

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
3.99/5  rDev -2.7%

A - this DIPA pours a hazy dark yellow/straw color with a thin white head that laces quickly; light, but swift carbonation

S - hoppy of course, like a DIPA should be, there is a subtle sweetness to the background, unplaceable, but present

T - this is the first DIPA i've had that has not been piney, the hops are definitely walloping, but without that piney taste that i have come to love, still very tasty with a roasted-woody finish, a great flavor

M&D - smooth, despite the bitterness, but you have to love dem hops to enjoy this tasty brew

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Good beer for a hop head! Pours a cloudy golden color, like a hefeweizen but without the big head. The head is white, medium size and lasts a long time. Smell is of hops and some citrus. Taste is great, bitter hops and smooth with some grapefruit. The mouthfeel is nice and rich. Citrus and hops flavor consistent throughout. Drinkability is good. This is a sipping beer and the abv limits it as a session beer. Two of these would be sufficient (you would definitely take the second one if offered). A nice IPA

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

This beer pours a hazy yellow color with a tiny head, but has little clusters of bubbles that often happens with hoppy beers. The smell is sweet, the hops aren't too over powering and there is a hint of spice to it. The taste is big. A little cluttered in the first sip, with alcohol being the most potent taste. Much more carbonation than I expected, especially to a big fan of Victory's Hop Devil. Its hard to get a handle on the hops, as they balance out nicely with the spice. The absence of any one substantial taste makes this a very drinkable beer, and makes the mouthfeel pleasant.

4.39/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a pint glass. Pours a hazy light straw color with a nice white head thats about two finger widths. Amazing smell, like a hop bouqet. Cascade is dominate hops with maybe some amarillo. Amazing taste as well starting with some sweet maltyness that quickly gives way to some hops bitterness. the hops are very smooth in this beer and play nicely on the tongue. Mouthfeel is good with some nice carbination. A very drinkable IPA

4.82/5  rDev +17.6%

Came to the bar a clear lighter golden color with a good amount of head. The smell was a good crisp and spicy hopppiness. The taste was great. Tons of hop flavor that sticks to the tongue. THe mouthfeel was moderately thick. In my opinion, this beer is right up there with Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA. I will definitely go for this beer again.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

Smooth hazey brightly captivating orange tangerine glow with a fine white head and a lasting 1/8th inch retention. White sheets lace all over my snifter. Fragrantly intoxicating aroma of liberal hops. The abundant pine, fruit, and full sweet malts all blend together perfectly to create seamless awesome. Tastes very balanced yet very hoppy with perfect bitterness. Taste equals the aroma in its wonderful hoppiness with added benfit of a great mouthfeel. The hop bitterness and dryness cling to the mouth for sometime and thus I'm drooling between sips. Fantastic drinkability...I wish there were more in my fridge.

A+ for this yummy quaffable Double IPA.

4.59/5  rDev +12%

Appearance: Clear gold with white head. 2004's had lots of particles, but not 2005's.

Smell: I get both citrus and some grassy aromas.

Taste: Bitter to start but then shifts towards a juicy sweet citrus taste. Finishes dry and grassy. Seems like a couple different types of hops.

Mouthfeel: Seems more complex than most DIPAs.

Drinkability: A great beer, I've had two or three in a night.

One of my all-time favorites even though the recipe seems to change a bit every year. I'm always looking forward to fall when it comes out again. Highly recommended.

4.17/5  rDev +1.7%

Appearance - gold in color. the head disappears quickly.

Smell - great smelling IPA, lots of scents here, citrus, hops, hops, and more hops.

Taste - malty flavor with the enormous amount of hops. some orange laced here, but over whelmed with hops.

Mouthfeel - love it, minus the alcohol taste at the end.

Drinkability - may have more of these tonight.

4.37/5  rDev +6.6%

Very cloudy orange/golden body barely translucent. White head which is shortlived though a whisp of a float remains. Bubbles are tiny to small. Almost no lace to speak of. Low carbonation.
Floral and grass scents. Harsh and musty hops, earthy notes with faint mushroom.
The taste is surprisingly well balanced. Sweet almost apricot and orange flavors alongside harsh and powerful hops. Aftertaste is a long lingering pure hop experience that just wont quit.
Medium to full bodied, good coating and a little slick. Tart finish that is not quite dry.
One of the most drinkable double IPAs yet. Not a quafferno. Sip and let the green cones take you away.

-Oelergud

3.82/5  rDev -6.8%

This is one I've been waiting to drink for a while but wanted to wait for summer. This is my first Victory beer, which I guess is tardy for someone within a two hundred mile radius of the brewery. I like the story and the bearded dude on the label.

Color is a bright neon golden yellow with almost no headand a cloudy, opaque body. Nose blasts with hops and a fruity, refreshing tint.

A bitter hop grenade in your mouth that explodes a few seconds after the sip commences. Clean finish but slightly overcarbonated mouthfeel. Dry and refreshing on a summer day. Also hides the alcohol very well. A bit strong for constant consumption but a few will do ya..

4.25/5  rDev +3.7%

Welp, I knew that since I luved HopDevil, the Hop Wallop would also be a good one. I wasn’t disappointed – an apricot/melon/yellow pour greeted me, along with a sexy lacey white head.

Just enticing strong hops in the aroma, then notes of hops, lemon, citrus in the quaff. Very earthy and leathery. Nice.

A very oily brew, sharp and crisp. A very good sipper brew, even in the STL summer heat. People in the N.E. coast area are lucky bastards, indeed.

thanks to beerbeing!

3.9/5  rDev -4.9%

Poured very nice, very light gold color with a slightly murky appearance. Large cream colored thick head with a long retention. Plenty of carbonation bubbles can be noted through the entire beer.

Aroma packed the very hops punch promised by the label. Despite the amount of hops noted in the odor, I also could detect a vague light citrus aroma that was a nice balance.

Wow. The first sip was a fantastic blend of hops with a nice flavor that mixed the bitterness with the citrus flavors that I noted in the aroma. If you like hops, this is defintly a winner.

I didn't like the overall feel in my mouth as much as I thought I would. It felt a little watery to me, as well as not having as much carbonation as I thought I would note based upon the appearance.

Overall, am exceptionally well crafted beer if you are looking for something with a little bit more hops bite. The other notes of citrus are a perfect balance. I could see myself enjoying this with a nice plate of pasta with garden vegtables. A good compliment to a light fare dinner.

4.2/5  rDev +2.4%

Pours a cloudy gold color with a fine tall white head.

Smell is sweet and malt and even a bit like candy. All that sweetness does not hide the hop load in this beer. Strong and a bit raw hop aroma here, strong pine and grapefruit scents with a harsh hint of eucalyptus. Bit of pineapple and mint in the scent too.

Taste is sweet but that is quickly stamped out by the hops in this brew. Grapefruit and Pineapple are the first major flavors mostly tropical fruit with a bit of mango/peach flavor. Tasty with lots of finer flavors the malt here is just to heavy to let them come out to the same extent that Pliny The Younger and Dreadnaught do. Having said that no way that I am not finishing this beer!

Mouthfeel is good, lighter than it tastes.

A great attempt at the Mega IPA and if Russian River and Three Floyds didn't exist it might be among the best, but this is 2006 and they do. A good DIPA and a great deal cheaper than Dreadnaught, I suggest you buy some of this for the weekends and splurge on Russian River or Three Floyds for Holidays.

Pours light gold with lots of lacings... real clear. Sweet hops and evergreen feature on the nose, with hints of marijuana even. Aromas lie somewhere between lush and rustic. On the palate, an instant sweetness appears but then a big, palate-gripping bitterness takes up residence through a long bitter finish. This is a fairly single-minded beer, not terribly complex, and it's not the crispest, sharpest DIPA out there. It's certainly solid, but -- and maybe I'm spoiled -- there are plenty better ones out there (see Hercules, 90 Minute, Ruination).

4.12/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured a light and hazy copper hue with a one finger foamy head. Suprisingly light in color for a DIPA. There was good retention and excellent sticky lacing.

The smell was very much dominated by a grapefruit hop aroma and a bit of a cannabis scent. Suprisingly there was a noticable malt presence.

The taste was very dry and very citrusy grapefruit. Again some malt body detected, but the hops really overwhelmed the flavor.

The mouthfeel was full and dry. The high hop profile left a nice tingling sensation.

Overall a very drinkable and enjoyable DIPA. The ABV was nicely hidden by the abundant hop flavor.

3.24/5  rDev -21%

Pours a slightly cloudy pale golden color. A thick white head fizzles out, but still leaves GREAT lace.
Kind of a sweet earthy aroma. I don't know quite what it is but something smells a little akward.
A malty backbone and an ambush of different hops. Somehow it balances itself out. It's kind of a strange but, ok flavor. I'd love to know the hop profile on this beer.
Light to medium bodied. Moderately carbonated. A creamy mouthfeel balances nicely with the hops on the palate.
Is an okay brew that I'd sure like to try again, but in the meantime there was just something akward about the taste and aroma that I couldn't quite pinpoint.

4.48/5  rDev +9.3%

I love the label on this bottle. The jolly old prospector looks like a Popeye character. And "wallop" is one of my favorite words to use....

Freshness? "Enjoy by Nov 09 06"

Pours a cloudy shade of peach, with a sticky, thick head of white. I don't even have to tell you what it smells like, do I?

The taste is what surprises me most: I don't just taste hops. It's an almost perfect balance of hoppiness and maltiness. I noticed it was especially viscous during the pour. There's an iota of sticky sweetness in there, which I appreciate. And it's not too carbonated, which adds to the drinkability.

I do not consider myself a hophead, and I am very pleased to say the least. Good show, Victory!

4.13/5  rDev +0.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a Stone IPA glass. Hazy golden yellow appearance with sticky 1-finger foam.

I have a hard time comparing some of the IPAs or DIPAs because most of the smell and taste is hops. This one is world class, very similar to Stone IPA or Alesmith IPA in aroma, flavor, and texture.

It's very good but Stone is cheaper. So Stone's my pick.

4.76/5  rDev +16.1%

An aggressive pour of this crystal clear golden beer yielded an inch tall frothy head that quickly diminished. The smell is rich, resiny, and very raw and hoppy. It's almost like I imagine a beer would smell if I dry hopped it right before I drank it. The taste is amazing! Very bitter, but balanced between the maltiness and the sweet piney flavors and aromas of hops. It's a tongue-coater for sure --heavy, oily, and chewy.

A keeper. Those who aren't overly enthusiastic about hops need not apply. And yes, despite its strong flavors, I could drink several of these on a warm spring evening, at least until my tongue went numb.

4.08/5  rDev -0.5%

Thanks to bkett01 for the trade.

Poured into an Imperial Pint. Has the appearance of a hefeweizen - light, golden, and somewhat hazy. An off-white head sits on top at about 1 1/2 inches. Keeps its composure for awhile. A gentle citrusy hop aroma. The taste of grapefruit comes to mind first - bitter, but rounded out by the malt. Very drinkable despite the high ABV and rather thin - not in a bad way though. I would definitely try this one again.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Aquired in a trade from Riggsy. Thanks!! "Enjoy by Oct 18, 06" is stamped on the label.

Pours a really pale golden - a bit of a surprise for an 8.5% brew. Nice tight head.

Smells like sour hops, with some citrus and pine mixed in.

Taste - extremely bitter hops, with green grassy notes. Some floral and citrus as well, and it feels pretty light for a IIPA. I think tangy is a good word here, but it has some malt behind it - not much, but juuuust enough to take the edge off the hops. Goes down really easy - almost TOO easy. ABV is well hidden.

Feels a bit thin in mouthfeel, but this is a pretty good beer. I wouldnt put it in the same class as Dreadnaught, 90minute, etc, but its a good, lighter DIPA that doesnt get too sweet or sticky once it warms up.

A good DIPA, but not world class. Enjoyable, nonetheless.

4.05/5  rDev -1.2%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: The beer is a slightly cloudy gold color with a white head that fades quickly and leaves a decent lace.

S: Heavy hops smell with some citrus & malt sweetness and bit of alcohol.

T: Strong, bitter hops bite hits you right away (hence the name) and certainly doesn’t taste as sweet as it smells. It leaves a bitter hops after-taste, but it’s not as strong as you would think.

M: Very crisp and smooth as well, with a medium body, medium carbonation and a clean finish.

D: This is a drinkable beer, especially if you’re into the hops bitterness. The alcohol is hidden pretty well without using sweetness to do it and it's not very filling. It’s just not quite as balanced as I would prefer.

4.5/5  rDev +9.8%

First, let me start by saying I wish this was a year round offering. It pours a pale yellow...very light for a DIPA. Has about an inch of bright white head that leaves nice lacing all the way down my glass. Nose full of hops. Pine with some grapefruit also. Taste just like it smells. Hops hit you in the mouth. Piney for the most part with a bitter citrusy finish. Very smooth and almost full bodied for such a light colored brew. One of my favorites...could drink this untill it runs out.

3.65/5  rDev -11%

12 oz bottle serving. Enjoy by Oct 11 06.

Color is light for a DIPA, straw yellow to light amber. Solid 2 fingers of intensely foamed head. Monster lace.

Nose is spicy citrus. I'm not sure what it is, but there is a very unusual and distinct dominant trait here. I can't identify it.

Flavor is hops and more hops. What has me scratching my head is what KIND of hops. It's certainly not the usual citrus or piney suspects. Unusual and unique, that is for sure. Malt is present in a good way, but not quite enough to balance out the hops. What else can you expect from a brew called Hop Wallop?

Mouthfeel is slightly thick and even a little syrupy. Moderate to high carbonation.

Drinkability is OK. I bought a sixer of these last fall at release. This is the last one, if that means anything to you.

4.9/5  rDev +19.5%

The first time I had this, I didn't really care for it... and I still drank the full sixer. That should tell you a bit (either about the beer, or my unwillingness to give away beer I don't like).
That being said, I decided to be a bit more objective. I love this style, and wanted to give this beer a fair shake. After all, how many bad beers have you ever heard of coming from Victory?
Poured a nice clear honey color into my pint glass. Nice 1 inch head that quickly disappeared, but left a good sticky lacing down the side of my glass.
The six-pak holder claims this to be "A very hoppy beer" with contents of "hops, hops, and more hops". One sniff into my glass, and the miner guy was smacking my in the face saying "I told you sonny!" Very hoppy beer... no shite. I got nothing but hops from the aroma.
Let's try tasting this again... high puckering bitterness and hop flavor. Almost like drinking diluted grapefruit juice. Slightly piney (actually more like spruce). The first time I tried this was like drinking spruce sap (and I have). Luckily, this time that taste was not present so much. I enjoy a good hop-alicious beer every now and then. I wish this were a year round offering. I wondered if they used any malts at all, then midglass, the hops settled down, and I got a little malt and pseudo honey backdrop to the hop craziness. Does the label really say 8.5% ABV?, because I can't taste it at all.
Carbonation was perhaps a bit understated. I found no alcohol in either the flavor or mouthfeel. That's dangerous for this beer, especially if you enjoy an in your face hop bomb such as this. Must... force... myself... not... to... drink... entire... six... pack...at... once. The only thing I could recommend to a hophead that would be close it to actually chew on an ounce of hops... like Chinook .

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown