Extreme Beer Fest:Los Angeles

Learn more...
Introducing: Project Extreme Brewing (a Dogfish Head + BeerAdvocate project)

Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

4.5

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
3.85/5  rDev -6.1%

Old miner guy = wallop? I don't get it. Pours out a sandy blond. Hazy with good foam at the pour but quickly hides to the side of the glass. Good lacing.

The smell is grainy with stronger notes of pilsner and basic malt notes. A very sweet grain feeling. Good piney and citrus aromas that are well present. A nice non-phenolic smell or big beer essence.

The taste is sweet and high bitterness. The malt to is sweet with a grainy taste and play second to the hops. The malt overall doesn't really support the hop flavor too much. The hops are big up front with a tart and piney hop flavor. A tangerine with more of a bite. There isn't much of a finish per the hops side.

Overall this isn't a big flavor for a IIPA but still easy to drink. A smooth and somewhat dry finish. Decent carbonation and very easy on the palate. I suppose that even old miners need something to drink.

3.98/5  rDev -2.9%

I love Victory's beers and I love hops, so when I saw their "Hop Wallop" sitting at my favorite beer shop (Brawley's in Charlotte) it was pretty much an assured purchase.

Hop Wallop is beautiful bubbly golden nectar with a fluffy cream head. The head lingers a long while, and leaves some mad lacing down the sides of my glass. Awesome.

Put your nose to the glass and you're assaulted with hops. Hops hops hoppity hop hops. Fresh, piney, sweet, grapefruit smelling hops! Did you expect anything else? The Victory website says Wallop is made with "American whole flower" hops which isn't very enlightening. Pity, I'm curious to know what's in here.

Taste is what you'd expect - hops and lots of 'em! In fact there's very little else discernible in this beer APART from hops. Perhaps some yeast and honey flavor... but mostly the piney, bitter, oily hop goodness. The 8.5% is quite hidden behind the cascade of hop flavor. This is a rather bitter beer, so be warned. Put simply, "Wallop" is a most appropriate name

Hop Wallop warms the tongue and stomach and leaves behind a fine dry hop bitterness as it slides down your gullet. Just really tasty stuff -- if you like hops.

I personally enjoyed this beer, but it's almost too much. Not the type of thing I'd drink on a regular basis, and certainly not a session beer for me.
If you, like I, have times when you get a craving for hops, this certainly satisfies.

If you like hops en masse, you'll love Hop Wallop.

4.3/5  rDev +4.9%

Bottle Pours a hazy yellow with a creamy white head. Head is mostly lasting and produces good lacing. Has a good hoppy aroma of pine ans spruce. Has a good smooth taste. Nice hops and a little spicy. A good amount of carbination. A nice duration with a solid finish. Good bitter aftertaste. I had some worries that some of these were infected. Mine was fine and excellent. I like the hoppiness, just a touch turned down from the Hop Devil. Very Tasty.

4.02/5  rDev -2%

Poured a somewhat hazy light gold color with a white head that didn't last very long.

Aroma is slightly fruity with a pretty good amount of pine in there. Nice hop aroma.

Flavor is pretty much mostly hops, more pine and a hint of fruit. Lingering very bitter finish, but in a really good way.

Mouthfeel is quite full with a moderately prickly carbonation.

Overall, pretty tasty. I could drink more of these.

This was poured from a 12 oz. bottle leaving a 2 inch head at first then settling into an inch, than 1/2 inch by halfway down and leaving a thick lacing all the way. Color was a hazy yellow (more yellow than the typical orange of IPA's ). Aroma- PINEY !! and citrus- that could by detected with glass at arm's length! No hint of malt , but then, none was really expected from this. Taste- a big, big, wonderfully bitter hop bite of pine and citrus (grapefruit) !! The malt was hardly there, but there enough to support the massively and wonderfully bitter finish of more pine and citrus !! Mouthfeel was smooth and full. Drinkability- this is excellent, and will be enjoyed as often as possible.

3.62/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is another outstanding beer from the gang at Victory Brewing Co.
The head is a creamy one, white and tightly laced. However dissipates after about two minutes. Leaves a wonderfully symetrical lacing in the glass The attn. is brilliant, pouring a deep golden straw which seemed a bit light for the style, but the lighting here is a too flourescent.
The nose on this brew is incredible. The hops give off a perfumey aroma of apricot, pear, spiced apple, and some herbal tone as well. All this is backed by hints of buscuity and sweet malts.
The mouth is highly supportive. A moderate carbonation structure carries the bitters over every segment of the mouth. At first a swett light honey and malty tast then BIG bitters from teh hops. The after taste is long and lingering with bitter and herbal essences.

3.97/5  rDev -3.2%

Best before date is Oct 29, 06.

A - Pours a hazy straw yellow with a creamy white head that sticks around. Leaves nice lacing as I'm drinking...

S - Earthy and piny hops. Almost a little citrusy also. Some sweet candy smelling maltiness in the back. The smell is not over the top but borederline. I could really smell the hops in it.

T - Funny thing is I thought this was an APA before I started drinking. As I drank it knew it was an IPA, especially after I looked at the ABV. As I made it 1/2 way through the glass I was thinking this was on ultra hopped IPA. Not over the top hops as Stone Ruination but it's got a good kick. I had IPA in my head the entire time so it didn't seem to overly bitter for my tastes as DIPA's generally are. But don't get me wrong - it's bitter. I was just thinking this must be on the high end of an IPA.

M - Smooth up front with moderate carbonation. A slightly tart and very crisp finish from all the hops. Dry at the end but still good.

D - Not bad for a DIPA. May not satisfy the ultra hop heads out there (I've never considered myself a HOP head) but it's got enough bite to satisfy most everyone else looking to try a DIPA. I picked this up while I was in Portland and I wish I would have grabbed more.

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%

Well, the beer pours looking like an American Wheat beer. Ahhhh, but the smell and the taste . . . hops, hops and more hops. Amarillo, I believe. At least, it has some of the noble qualities. Oh man, I can feel my mouth drying out and becoming a giant ball of cotton while I drink this. It's been a long time since that happened to me.
Oh man, the malt isn't even on the radar with this baby. Truly an unbalanced beer, but I was looking for crazy hops and boy did it deliver. Yet, suprisingly, it managed to do this without becoming hop mouthwash. Sane, in its unbalance.

Oh man, thanks for the chance to try this one Beerninja!

2.95/5  rDev -28%

Yellowish orange beer pours with a very thick and sticky white head. Tiny bit of haze and a light/steady rising of carbonation. An interesting nose. Noble hops if I had to guess. Grassy/earthy/and a bit like a pilsner. Tastes very hoppy over the top. Somehow I pick up spearmint above everything else. Weird. The earthy hop smell comes across as an initial taste that is overcome by the minty/menthol like flavor. The hops aren't so bitter to kill me, but I do like bitter beer. Just a one trick pony with this weird mint thing going on. A very thick beer. If it wasn't for this minty thing driving me crazy it might be better, but not terribly impressed here.

*note: the minty flavor decreases as the beer warms up. So edge on the side of tastiness and serve it warmer than cold.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle, freshness dating states best before Sep of 06.

A - very much not what I was expecting. Pale straw yellow, some chill haze as well. Clears as it warms. Bright, bright white head stays around around the whole way, a full pillow of little bubbles. Excellent lacing. Looks a lot more like a wheat beer or wit than an IPA. Pilsner malt?

S - assertive hop aroma of pine, citrus, orange peel. Some malt in there as well, though. Toasty, sweet malt. Alcohol in the nose as well.

T - tart, citrusy, piney hop flavor predominates, but I think there is a malt backbone here. Some malt sweetness in the aftertaste. But also very, very dry hops. Tangy. Like chewing on a fresh grapefruit and pine cone. Peppery.

M - very smooth, almost oily mouthfeel. Very unique and pleasant. Head implies moderate to high carbonation, but quite the contrary. No tickling carbonation on the tongue, very smooth.

D - a good example of fresh American IPA. Would like more balance of malt, however. Tasty brew, though, and I would never turn it down.

3.63/5  rDev -11.5%

Many thanks to WarriorSoul for the bottle!

“Hoppiness is Happiness.” Couldn’t have said it better. 12 oz bottle in to my trusty Stone pint glass. Pours a very clear yellowish with just a hint of orange. An absolute flurry of bubbles rushing up from the bottom of the glass. Not much of head, despite this fact. I think I may have messed up on the pour, however.

Nose is fruity and hoppy, with just a hint of pine.

Very fruity upfront. . .hints of apricot and pineapple finishing with a strong pine flavor. Not much malt detected, but I’m totally okay with that. I just glanced at the ABV, expecting it to be around 5 or 6, as I tasted no alcohol on the way down. 8.5% ABV!!! This is very well masked by the hops, however. The hop profile is unlike any other I’ve ever experienced. . .I keep coming back to piney pineapple to describe it. . .it’s very tasty, very fruity, and insidiously drinkable.

3.95/5  rDev -3.7%

I am not a hop head so this beer is honestly a bit too much for me. That said, I did really enjoy it but I could hardly call it highly drinkable. One of these just totally wrecked my palate. No more reviewing tonight; but it was an enjoyable wreckage. I just don't need another one. Well, here’s the breakdown:

I let this one warm up fro a while before opening to maximize the smoothness. Then served it in my snifter glass.

Appearance: A golden orange color this beer is translucent but not transparent. Active carbonation at the beginning but it died mid way through the beer. It had a creamy white head with decent retention and an adequate amount of lacing. the frothy cap did last the duration of the beer. Very nice appearance.

Smell: This beer is very hoppy but it is not cloyingly pine in the smell or taste. I am not a fan of the eating Christmas tree pine flavor. Not to fear this hop character is more citrusy with a bit of grass than it is pine. The aroma to me was like lemon and grapefruit. Very full poignant aroma. Good!

Taste: Again the taste does get a bit green but not overwhelmingly so. It is more of a citrus grapefruit and granny smith apples type of tart. There is a malt backbone that give the beer some more depth but the malt base does get a bit thin approaching the finish the hop character takes over. A lingering tartness makes this a lip-smacking aftertaste. The aftertaste does come back around though to drop off some more sweet. It is evident there was plenty of sugar in this lemonade :) so to speak.

Mouthfeel: Medium body. Mildly carbonated, mostly it was prickly due to the sharp hops the felt like active needles on my tastebuds.

Drinkability: How can I comment. I did finish one. And it was good, but I sure as hell don't want another one. It is a double IPA and you hop heads will love it. There is no way you want to drink it all night (at least not me). I am glad to have had one and one is enough, so I'll give it a 3.0 and hope this explanation makes sense.

Hope this is helpful.
Cheers!

----
[EDIT] as my hop palate has grown, so has my apreciation for this beer.
----

4.27/5  rDev +4.1%

I found this to be an excellent IIPA. It had a nice orangey gold appearance, which was slightly hazy. There were hints of grapefruit in the aroma & palate. Strong bouquet & very bitter, clan finish. I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. Although very strong & bitter, I did not find it too overpowering. I would suggest it to other fans of strong IPA's.

2.88/5  rDev -29.8%

Well this is the first beer I've had in a quite a while...but that’s beside the point. Since I’m eating Mac and cheese (the cheap kind, in fact it’s expired) like a homeless f-ck I decided to treat myself to one of the beers I have stashed away.

Bottle is stamped Enjoy by Nov 09 06.

Poured into a 20oz pint glass it is a cloudy yellow with a thin pure white head which laces the glass. The head will shrink but still leaves a good looking blanket effect to the beer.

The Smell is powerful of grapefruit like a musty grapefruit if you can imagine what a musty grapefruit smells like... there is also a hint of pine in the smell.

Taste is much like the smell a powerful hop blast with a grapefruit like bite. The 8.5% can not be seen anywhere in the brew even after I let it warm up a bit.

Mouthfeel is rather oily with a even carbonation feel.

Drinkability is well all right. The oily feel is not my thing and the 8.5% snuck up on me like a panhandler asking for change.

All in all the brews not bad. In my opinion the hop devil is a better choice with a crisp feel. But this is still worth a shot.
Go ahead get one and tell em' Luca Sent ya.

4.36/5  rDev +6.3%

Presentation - 12 oz. bottle, served chilled. Poured a striking pale gold color with a 1" thick head.

Smell - Strong grapefruit/citrus aroma with floral notes, and a slight sweetness for balance.

Mouthfeel - Body is surprisingly thick, with the hop oils making their presence felt.

Taste - Wow! Not surprisingly, the hops dominate the flavor early on. There is a strong and acidic grapefruit flavor, followed by a hit of malt sweetness. The malts play a more prominent role as the beer warms, but never enough to overpower the hop profile. If balanced and DIPA can be said in the same sentence, I would say it for this beer.

Drinkability - Only the bottle label and the glazed look in my eyes reveal the 8.5% ABV. The bold taste dictates this to be a sipping beer even though there is hardly a trace of alcohol flavor even when the beer warms.

Overall - Kudos to Victory! They are known for some innovative brews, and this is easily one of the best DIPA's I have ever tasted. Do not pass this one up if you like hops.

4.44/5  rDev +8.3%

12oz bottle, cool cartoon gold miner guy on the label.

Appearance: Slightly dark golden in color. Nice head with lots of lacing.

Smell: Very stong citrus/fruity aroma, can't smell too long without wanting a sip.

Mouthfeel: A lot of body, more than I first expected.

Taste: Hops running crazy in here, I love it! That citrus/fruity aroma definitely carries over into the taste. It was hard for me to pick up on the malt flavor aside from some sweetness.

Drinkability: I wish I would have had a few.

Overall I was suprised by how much I enjoyed this beer. While I still lean a bit more to the HopDevil for the overall hop bitterness, this beer was a great experience.

4.07/5  rDev -0.7%

This was a street brawl, and the hops kicked ass. Nice piney aroma but also quite spicy and citrusy imo. Reminds me of smelling a handful of different hops freshly opened. Screw the malt, no chance with that hop aroma dominance. Taste is also hop dominant. Very citrusy with grapefruit dominant. Some grassy notes come in here and there. There's a bit of a yeasty bready sensation and some sweetness from the malts but its very little. The hops just beat them down, along with my palate. Finish is assertively bitter and quite acidic, or maybe it's just really resiny and spicy, I can't tell. I knew what I was getting into here and I am better for it. This is almost like hop water as the body is weak and malts provide no backbone or depth. But sometimes that's alright.

3.87/5  rDev -5.6%

It's 2 am and I'm awake comparing and reviewing two Pennsylvania 2IPA's, this one and Stoudt's. A nap will be a good way for me to kill the hour and ten minutes between my two classes later today.

Stoudt's used to be available in LA until recently, and most of the Victory lineup still is, although Hop Wallop isn't. Thanks to BRoss242 for sending me a bottle of this stuff as a part of the Boxing Day BIF.

This is a fairly light color for a 2IPA. Its white head starts out small, but it sticks around until the end of the glass. I smell German malts and spicy hops much like Hop Devil. If my memory serves my correctly, this tastes like a double Hop Devil, which makes sense. It's quite different from the citrusy, piney flavor in West Coast IPA's and the Stoudt's- imagine brewing an Imperial Pilsner as an ale. This is a nice change of pace from the C's. Come on Victory, send this stuff out here. Old Horizontal can come too.

4.38/5  rDev +6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer was tasted in a pint glass from a bottle.

This beer pours a golden orange with a huge white head that laces nicely and holds well leaving a thin film all the way down to the bottom of the glass. The smell is a combination of floral and citurs hops. The taste is all hops. There is again a combination of floral and citurs hops but this is backed up nicely with some faint malts. This beer is extreamly thick with good carbonation and some nice dryness and bitterness. This is a very drinkable beer with a great hop flavor. Just a fantastic beer.

4.94/5  rDev +20.5%

This is an amazing beer that I'm finally getting around to giving a proper review. Hop Wallop is the perfect name for this beer. It pours a hazy yellow with a smallish head with lots of lacing. The appearance doesn't warn you for what you are in for. The aroma is strong of grapefuit and pine hops. Simply amazing! The taste is a hop explosion. The malts don't stand a chance here. This medium bodied beer is extremely drinkable considering the alcohol content and amount of hops. I've had many of these this winter and I've looked forward to each one. I can't wait for next winter's batch!

3.7/5  rDev -9.8%

Enjoy by Oct 11 06 printed on the label. Pours a slightly hazy dull golden color. Not the color I would have expected for a DIPA. Thick white foamy head, which seemed to last forever. Good ringsof lace covered the glass as the head and beer disappeared. Big citrusy and flowery aroma. Malt character seems to be lacking, as it is very pale and completely taken over by the hop flavor and bitterness. Flowery, slightly spicy hop flavor. Finishes sweet. Hop Wallop certainly delivered what it promised on the label, "A very hoppy ale". I really would have liked more malt character and a bit more balanced, as this is completely one-sided. Having said that, the second bottle grew on me a bit more. This beer is all about the hops, and they do shine. Hop head delight.

4.47/5  rDev +9%

Hazy golden color. Pours a two finger head and leaves some lacing around the glass. Hops, hops, and more hops! Strong citrus and pine hop aroma. The taste is more balanced than I expected. The higher alcohol content and biscuit malts blend with the spicy hops well. Very floral and piney hoppiness. Has a dry hoppy aftertaste that lingers around for a while. Loved every minute of this beer.

3.92/5  rDev -4.4%

Served in a Deschutes pint glass out of a bottle

A - not what I would expect from a DIPA. Look like a pale ale. A light golden brown color.

S - some sweet malts, but mostly hops. Pretty much what I would expect

T - For a DIPA, this is just about right. Hoppiness dominates from beginning to end. Floral hops to be sure, but still unique, which is a difficult task. Kudos to Victory on that one.

M - Close to perfect. Very nice. Medium mouthfeel and carbonation. Very nice.

D - Takes a hit as many DIPAs do for me. So strong tasting that it would be difficult to hammer back more than a couple at a sitting.

3.48/5  rDev -15.1%

The label for the beer is probably my favorite of any beer. I love the color scheme and the cartoonish picture of Horace "Hop" Wallop with his tongue sticking out. Ok enough of that, let's get to the beer...

Pours a bright straw yellow color with a small white head. Small amount of lacing but the beer needs a little swirl to bring back the head. The aroma is all citrus hops. No balance whatsoever, just hops. Same for the flavor. The malt backbone that I crave for a IIPA is missing dearly. The palate is left dry and bitter. The alcohol strength is noticable but not overpowering.

Not a bad beer, just way too one-dimensional and is lacking depth. In my opinion, skip this beer and just enjoy the HopDevil, but it is worth a try.

4.57/5  rDev +11.5%

I am not a hophead. I am not a hophead. I am not a hophead, but damn... did this double IPA make me hoppy... err... I mean happy. This is the one I've been looking for, and I'm kicking myself for only buying one when I had the chance.

Pours a cloudy dark golden colour that reminds me of some hefeweizens I've had, with a biiig fluffy head.

Smell is bitter, dry grapefruit, pine, sour berries, and some mint or other herbs that really clear out the sinuses.

Taste is actually almost sweet right up front and then... hop wallop! Extremely dry and bitter, with an equally mouth-puckering aftertaste. A bit fruitier than some other super-hoppy beers I've had, which I find gives it more depth and makes it more enjoyable. Mainly citrus, but some sour cherry flavour in there too. Also, a hint of the piney-ness from the smell, plus some soap. I tend to get soapy impressions from most hoppy beers, though, so read nothing into it.

Dropped the drinkability a bit just because it's SO bitter, but it's an awesome beer, and great by itself to refresh your palette or with spicy or greasy food.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown