Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
4.29/5  rDev +5.4%

Super-soapy head looks unusual atop a regular pilsner-ish pale gold/yellow color. Carbonation is extremely low-key.

I almost got high from just smelling this one. It's a rush. Like drowning to death in a sea of liquidfied hops. (I could think of worse ways to go...) The aroma is transcendent. The grapefruit element is strong and welcome. It's almost nothing but hops, hops and more hops, but this is supposed to be a seriously hoppy beer, so why not? Unfortunately the build-up from the smell doesn't totally carry through with the taste. There is indeed all kinds of hoppiness in the flavor, but there's really nothing else going on. It could be any number of other super-hopped ales. It's got nothing on Dogfish Head's 90 Minute IPA, for example. But still, there's no doubting its great qualities, and since I tend to like extreme hops anyway, I can't help but savor it. The bitterness remains intense and satisfying, and it might impair its drinkability for some, but me? I'll have another.

Mouthfeel gives a nice creaminess for such a sharply-flavored beer, feels great in and all the way down. I would definitely love a few of these on a hot summer day, but at 8.5 percent it could be a wipeout.

I don't feel like Victory is the ultimate U.S. microbrewer, as a couple of my friends might, but they're always consistently good and different in some way. This is no exception, but I would've liked some extra depth in the flavor to put it into the league of legends.

[Note: Had a couple years later on tap, and the flavor profile was greatly expanded. An excellent beer.]

3.97/5  rDev -2.5%

This beer poured a slightly hazy, golden color with a tiny white head. The appearance was totally unexpected, being that every other DIPA I'd tried was quite a bit darker. The aroma was hop heaven for me- very herbal, perfumy and citrusy. It reminded me of cutting up a grapefruit. The taste was incredibly unusual, with a mouth puckering blast of hops assaulting my taste buds along with a touch of alcoholic warmth. As the beer warmed, I was able to detect a good malt presence. Despite the strength, I found this brew to be a great thirstquencher and it would probably make a great Summer beer.
This beer is hard to categorize. Is it really a DIPA or is it just a strong, hoppy Golden ale? Whatever, I love it.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

A-Bright hazy golden color with a decently impressive foamy head. The color is very brilliant, much like Golden Monkey.

S-Now don't get me wrong, I love hops to death, but this one was so pungent that it reminded me of a barnyard. The heavy, resinous, piney, and citrusy hop profile was just a punch in the face (normally something I love).

T&M-The Full-bodied flavor is decently balanced between the huge hop presence and maltiness. A citrus kick (i.e. Grapefruit) is a welcoming flavor. The bitterness clings to the tongue with a vengence. If you want ultra-fresh hoppiness, this should cover your cravings.

D-Although not my favorite double IPA, it is still very nicely crafted. At 8.5% this one hits pretty hard so if I went more than two pints, I could find myself in drunken hell with gasoline boots on!

3.87/5  rDev -4.9%

Paid $2.40 for a 12oz bottle. 8.5% ABV.

Pours out to a very clear medium golden with orange accents, forming a modest off-white soapy head with very good retention and lacing. Carbonation is moderate. The aroma is pungent and spicy with hops in the boatload....pine, resinous skunkweed, flowers, grapefruit, lemon...it's all there. Reminds me of Stone IPA in a way. The mouthfeel is pungent, sharp and crisp with a dry finish and medium-light body. In no way does this feel like a beer with 8.5% ABV. The taste is much the same with a pungent bitterness, like sucking on grapefruit rind and pinesap. Lightly grassy with very astringent alcohol presence. There is a little bit of grain and chalk in the finish.

This is a good IPA, but it's too bitter for my tastes. I'll stick with Founder's Centennial, Stone IPA, and Bell's Two-Hearted. IMO, Hop Devil is much more drinkable than this.

2.61/5  rDev -35.9%

Poured out a hazy straw yellow color almost like a wheat beer. Has nice thin bands of lacing with each sip. Other than that no real head is present. Aroma has almost a cheap skunk Budweiser type smell. First sip is pure bitterness! Overpowering bitterness that I doubt few will like unless your really into heavily hopped and real bitter beers. The bitterness hides any kind of malt or hop flavor. It is too much for me to enjoy this beer. Crisp mouthfeel and a medium body. Not highly drinkable. The high ABV is well hidden however. HOLY BITTERNESS !!! Arghhhh

3.72/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle Inspection: 8.5% abv., enjoy by 09 06 (sampled 02 06)

Aroma: WOW! That’s hoppy. That’s a big load of grapefruit rind, orange pith, passion fruit, with a lemon twist. Deep in there is a hint of grassy, but no malt to be found.

Appearance: Very hazy peach/yellow glass sports a respectable white cover that laced in thick curtains.

Flavor: Someone dumped a pine basket of pineapple, grapefruit, and alpha acid in my mouth. Bitterness grows to the point of pain but backs off last second to just sit there and leave chemical burns. Finish should last until next Tuesday. Just silly hoppy

Mouthfeel: A bit caustic, oily, medium body with high, almost fizzy carbonation level that seems to help spread the oil around.

Overall Impression: Wow, that’s a kick in the head; I guess that’s a “wallop”. I think they put about 2 truck loads of hops too much in the boil, but the result is definitely interesting. I’m thinking this would age out very nicely, as it is, it seems a bit hot. If that comes from the alcohol or the hops, I’m not sure. You like hops? Visit with this crazy gentleman.

1.76/5  rDev -56.8%

Imperial IPAs are one of my favorite styles... and Victory is an excellent brewery, so when I saw the Hop Wallop for sale I was extremely excited.
Unfortunately, this is the worst IIPA I have ever had!

The entire problem with the beer lies in the total lack of any malt flavor. The beer is yellow and fizzy, like a german lager. I don't know how they got 8.5% ABV in this thing, because malt-wise, this tastes like a strong pilsener. Even in very blonde IIPA's I've had (The Blonde Hop Monster from Paper City comes to mind), there was a very solid, if simple, sweetness to it, to balance out the hops. This beer had nothing of the sort.

On the bittering front, yes this is very bitter, but lacks the serious hop complexity of the better IIPAs such as the 90 minute IPA and the Ruination.

Incredibly dissapointing. I'll stick with the Storm King and the Hop Devil when I am choosing Victory brews.

(UPDATE: I have had this beer since this very old review, and I find it to simply to be inconsistent. I have had awesome examples on draft. Had fresh bottles from the brewery which were good, not great. But I also encounter bad bottles from time to time.)

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

Golden with tons of lacing all the way down the glass. I didn't expect to see all of this lacing.

Spicy hops and some citrus fruit dominate the nose.

The hops overpower any other tastes that might be hidden in the beer. There's some citrus in the back that's very faint.

Fuller that I expected for something so hoppy. Also a bit creamy feeling. Great beer but not one I want to have all night... especially at 8.5%.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

thanks mtnlover on this one.

poured a dark golden color almost brass like. 1 finger head with plenty of lacing

smell: i was hoping for a little more smell on this. nothing more than hops.

tase: is very hoppy (what did you expect??) citrus taste. very piney. there is almost a pineaple taste to it.

mouthfeel: very clean and bitter.

i found this to be a very drinkable beer. i could session this brew. the alcohol is not very predominant on it. i really wish this brew was available in my neck of the woods, because i would buy this quite frequently.

3.62/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz bottle.

Pristine clear gold color..surprisingly clear for a double ipa.

Grassy hop aroma and a hefty hop profile all-around. Some citrus with an orange peel kick.. The taste is quite bitter and somewhat complex, but you can taste the 8.5% alcohol without much effort. Toasted malts lie in the background, resting upon the somewhat surprisingly thin mouthfeel and texture. The carbonation is alright and drinkability is pretty good...but overall, the word "overhyped' comes to mind.

I've heard this beer has gone downhill lately, and maybe that's why I just wasn't too impressed with this one. I mean, alright for a hop fix, but not the wonderful creation I was hoping for.

Big thanks to Jetsbeer for letting me try this one.

2.82/5  rDev -30.7%

A lot of chill haze to the point of almost being murky in a yellow-amber brew. Nice rocky head with serious lace.

The smell has very intense hops and almost herbal background.

The taste was too bitter for me. Hoppy to the extreme but very little malt for balance. The aftertaste really makes your mouth pucker from the bitterness. Mouthfeel is appropriate for the style but still can't offset the boatload of hops. Also very rough-edged; not at all a smooth beer.

Not too drinkable for my money. I do like hops in my beer but this effort is just one-dimensioned hop insanity.

3.94/5  rDev -3.2%

Oh, dear God, much to late in the evening on a Sunday for a review. (I'll try and make this legible.) This is one of those double IPAs that is all about the hop. There's not much color (the beer is blonde) so we know we've got 90 percent two-row pale malt in this baby; maybe a little light caramel. The carbonation is good, the head has a pretty good amount of volume. The foam sticks to the sides of the glass as the head falls; it's quite sticky. The aroma isn't as huge as one might suspect, it's kind of fruity and herbal. It's a gentle hop aroma, that's a bit insipid and almost sedating. I pick up a little lemon verbena perhaps? The mouthfeel is nice and smooth, but the body almost light; this beer seems quite attenuated. There's a good amount of alcohol, too. The strength of this beer is more noticeable in the brain than the palate. The finish is extremely hoppy and bitter. The hops are more present in the finish than anywhere else in this beer. Although it's a bit two-dimensial, I enjoy this beer for its hop blast, or should I say "wallop."

4.36/5  rDev +7.1%

I absolutely adore this beer, but is has to be enjoyed on tap to really unleash its full glory. In this case, I am reviewing a fresh bottle (dated 11/10/05)--which to be truthful, ain't bad.

A - I love the look of this beer in a glass. It looks robust, formidable, and serious. The color is a complex yellow, tinged with the slightest greenish hue. Lovely.

S - On tap, this beer is a golden god. The smell is amazingly fertile and earthy. In the bottle, it loses some of that aromatic muscle.

T - Same issue. On tap, it is fresher than fresh--just bursting with newly sown hops. In the bottle, it loses a little...life.

M - Hard to complain about the mouthfeel. This is a man's beer, with a mouthfeel that makes me want to go sleep in the woods. Don't ask.

D - OK, so it's not on tap. But it's still extraordinary, and an incredible pleasure to drink.

God bless Victory for making this beer. An absolute gem!

3.88/5  rDev -4.7%

Clear gold, very light for DIPA, no head.
Smell was very good, strong citrus, pine, and big hops.
PIne, citrus, a bit of malt, and maybe a little sugar.
Slick and oily it leaves a nice coating of flavor and stays around for a bit.
Although I was disappointed with the color I really liked the all the other aspects of this brew.

3.56/5  rDev -12.5%

Bottle a gift of higravity, via SS'05. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours a 2 finger full frothy head over a cloudy light peach colored liquid. Smells really gently of woody hops. Not much else. Tastes piney, yet also like bark. Bark dust from those vines that string themselves into tree branches. Dry beer. Pine and oranges. Orange flavored wood? It has a rough character like grass on the tongue. Orange oil. Mouthfeel is liquid grass. Leaves a grassy weedy character in your mouth. Interesting. If you're a hippie ro granola-type person, I suspect you will love the mouthfeel.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Pour - a hazy straw color with a nice head. Head leaves very thick lacing.

Smell - I love this smell. Smells of flowery/grassy hops. No Pine.

Taste - A real nice grassy hoppy taste with on a real mellow malt backbone. The balance is very nice. Of course, this is way too hoppy for some, but I am used to it since I usually drink one of these every other night. I wish I knew what kind of hops are involved here because there are alot of DIPAs that I'm not fond of because of the pine sap taste.

Mouthfeel/Finish - This has a real clean finish with the mouthfeel you would expereince after a good bitter.

I could drink this all year, too bad it is semi-seasonal.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Finally get a chance to try the loved hop wallop.

I thought I was pouring a bud light. Had to go back and check other's reviews to make sure it was supposed to be this light. Pours a straw color. Crystal clear. Thick white cap floated on top for a while then reduced leaving a thick ring of lace. Besides the color this beer looks like it is hitting the mark. I still can't get over the color...

Aroma doesn't do anything for me. I hardly get anything out of it. Has a grassy, herbalness to it. A bit of biscuit sweetness. A little floral essence.

Geez...what a difference in the flavor. Initially coats the mouth with a thick layer and a spicy burn takes over the back of the throat. Definately a new interpretation of the style for me. I like how this one isn't just another west coast wannabe DIPA. Lots of resin bitterness. Not much malt to balance really, but does come through with some sweet biscuit again. I agree with the notion of others that this is a kicked up Prima Pils. Lots of the same profile.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but coats the mouth well initially. Finishes a little dry. Nice and crisp overall. Ridiculously drinkable. No hint of alcohol, one-off flavor, plenty of resin bitterness, light on the stomach are all qualities making this beer super drinkable. Its just too easy to put down.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Straw yellow in color, with a good head that leaves a lot of lace. Probably one of the palest beers I've seen, let alone a double IPA. How'd they do that?

The smell is something else. I would literally write home about it. From the moment the cap comes off, your nose is bombarded with piney, citrusy, grassy, herbal, floral, earthy hop aromas. The amount of hops in this beer is staggering. Never, ever, have I smelled something so wonderful.

The taste, oh LORD, the taste. Imagine all the hop qualities I listed above, then multiply them by four. This is an intense, hoppy beer. However, it is also pleasant and surprisingly smooth. Obviously, these are some noble-ass hops. The underlying malt current serves for a nice last minute burst of sugary sweetness. If not for the fruity, sweet esters of the malt, I would probably think this was a huge, hopped up version of Prima Pils.

What can I say? It's everything a DIPA (and a beer) should be, and more. Absolutely delicious.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Pours a very pale straw-gold color with a medium-to-large fluffy head. Crystal-clear. Aromas of lemony, piney, sprucey hops. Pacific-Northwest varieties, for sure. Maybe a very slight hint of sweet malt underneath, but the hop aroma is massive.

Taste: Big resinous hop flavor across the entire taste, with a nice solid bitterness as well. Not much malt flavor, but that is to be expected for this style. Hoppy, but not quite up to the DIPA hoppiness that I am used to. Finishes dry and spicy, very thirst quenching. Mouthfeel is light, as is to be expected for a pale ale.

Drinkability is higher than I would have expected for an 8.5% beer. Goes down very easy.

I have been hearing grumblings that this year's version is not as good as in years past. But from my reference point, this is a solid DIPA.

3.38/5  rDev -17%

The pour was yellow with a one finger head that quickly dissapated and left no lace on the glass.

The smell was strong with german pilsner skunk with just a hint of hop spice in the rear of the nose.

The drink started with a sharp pilsner carbonation bite followed by a thin malt in the middle and a lingering but pleasent hop bitter to finish.

All and all not a bad IPA but I've had better. It didn't live up to the hype in my book. But still worth a try.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

This beer came a creamy orange honey color that was a bit foggy with a big off white smooth head that left mild lace.

When I smelled it, I was greeted by an incredible hop blast consisting of juniper, butter, mild citrus, paste and ash.

Tasted strongly of fresh oranges, creamy butter, and an awesome understated piney bitter that drifted into a pasty dry hop finish.

Mouth feel was creamy with super light carbonation.

Fantastic on cask!

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

Copper in color with about a finger of head that was gone by the first couple of drinks. Some light lacing. Piney aroma with a little grapefruit mixed in. Crisp and fresh hop taste, mostly citrusy. There is an little bit of an oily pine finish too. Hoppy, but a good malt backbone. Nice medium mouthfeel makes this one easy to drink.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

The big foamy head on this brew is a nice touch to the amber-blond color of the body. The Aroma is the key to this brew IMO. The citrusy-blossom and grassy smells like a healthy alcoholic treat. The flavor is not as bitter up front as the name would suggest; their is a bit of buttery smooth quality and a great amount of fruitiness. There is a lot of juicy hop flavor that hits you in the aftertaste. The sticky hop oil stays in your mouth for a while. The fact of aftertaste brings the drinkability down just a touch. A nice Double IPA, one that is more towards the fruitier side than most IMO.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Golden straw honey color with a cloudy mid-belly and a fluffy ivory cap.

Smell: Floral hop aromas, honeysuckle, and a strong flowery profile.

Taste: Bittering and flowery hop presence, a touch of light honey sweetness, and a light bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Too light. Hop Devil has this one beat hands down. I definitely got the "Hop" part of this beer but the "Wallop" part escapes me. Too many other good ones out there to bother with this one again any time soon.

3.67/5  rDev -9.8%

First I just want to say that the first bottle I poured, left a beautiful head, it also left some weird stuff. I don't know what it was. Looked like I had a jellyfish in my beer. Nasty. SO I poured that one out. Had too. I am not one to waste beer so let me just tell you, it had to be pretty bad for me to pour it out.

Any ways. New beer poured a fantastic two fingered head which rested ontop of a golden brown fizzy ale.
The hops are large and sting the nostrils like Brian Fantana wearing sex panther.

THe hops are very up front starting out piney but with a hint of citrus, grapefriut, definitly grapefruit. The hops continue and get more intense at the finish.

Good lacing down the sides.

I felt that there should jave been more to this beer to make it great, but hey I got what I paid for. They said it is hoppy and that weren't wrong about that. I would love to try this on tap.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown