Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
3.42/5  rDev -16%

Pours a medium yellow with a thin white head. Not much crown to speak of (the high ABV probably breaks it down) and not much lacing. On first glance it looks like you're drinking a craft lager.

All hops in the nose - rather floral and herbal. The flavor is pretty similar, lots of floral hops here with only a hint of citrus peel. Not terribly bitter for a DIPA. Disappointingly, not much in the way of malt to balance out the beer. Some underlying sweetness but no grain notes that really stand out. Mild 'hot' note from the alcohol that doesn't compliment the rest of the flavors.

Mouthfeel is disappointing - not enough carbonation to liven up the palate, not enough bittering to sharpen up each sip and the alcohol burn detracts from the experience.

If I'm drinking a DIPA and I'm paying a (physical) price for the extra alcohol I expect something in return like a bold hop profile and a rich balanced malt base. The hops are quite nice but the lack of malt is a disappointment - I can think of more flavorful single IPAs with less burn.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Thick bone-white head with super-pale body. Impressive how Victory got such a potent beer to be so light colored. The little story on the bottle label gives the impression that they used 3 different types of hops for this beer. Lovely floral hop smell. The taste is a powerful blast. Super bitter aftertaste, actually kind of harsh, with noticeable alcohol flavor. Thick & meaty mouthfeel. I enjoyed drinking this one bottle, but I think any more than that at one time would be pushing it.

3.8/5  rDev -6.6%

Best by Oct 11 06. I'd say this one is fresh. Cellar temperature.

Pours a modest coppery orange color, vivid clarity, and a foamy 2 finger white head that is maintained by a huge cascade of bubbles from below. Nose is a little difficult to get at under the head. I get resinous hop...sweet citrusy with piney over a chunky caramel base, with an almost spun sugar sweetness. Flavor is okay. Hops are giving me a soapyness and a touch of metallic flavor. Hop flavors are piney for the most. Caramel is moderate. Bitterness is a bit rough and lingers pretty long...too long and too harsh. After some of the IIPA's I've had recently, this one really isn't stacking up for me. Mouthfeel is thick with a moderate carbonation. Drinkability is minimized by the harsh hop. I'm looking for some balance and not finding it. For the ABV, its downable, so that equalizes things a bit. I'll be sure to cool one down and see what that does to the beer.

3.39/5  rDev -16.7%

Lighter than I expected for a 8.5% brew. First smells indicated reminders of american macrobrews, but a deeper whiff revealed the intense hops, as well as barnyard hints and vegetables.

First tastes were also quite shocked by the shear amount of hops, but after a few drinks and letting the beer warm up a bit, it became suprisingly drinkable. Nice mouthfeel and carbonation. At the first drink I was ready to pour it out but by the fourth I was ready to order a case.

4.35/5  rDev +6.9%

This was given to me by warriorsoul, thanks again buddy. Pours a clear golden color, some carbonation, very small head, some lacing throughout the drink. Scents of hops, citrusy, pine (?). I really like the taste of this brew, the taste and smell is very different than other IPAs or DIPAs I've had. Nice bitter aftertaste. Medium body. Very drinkable, the color surprised the shit out of me, but I guess that's Victory's different slant, I would by this stuff every time if I could get ahold of some, highly recommended.

4.13/5  rDev +1.5%

This rare treat pours a very pale orange color, the utter clarity of this beer is impressive. On top it is crowned with a thick frothy head that is tightly bubbled and goes nowhere for quite some time. Leaves plenty of thick, clumpy lace in rings around the glass, as the lace is thick wide and slow to fall. This beer is a feast for the eyes and a real treat to gaze at.

Smells of crystal and pale malt with strong fruity and floral notes surrounding, well nigh attempt to obliterate any vestige of malt almost choking it with extreme hoppiness - scents of grapefruit, tangerine peel, and sharp floral accents. Earthy aromas and herbal notes come to the fore eventually yielding to the aromas of malt come through in due course. A very hoppy nose indeed.

Tastes of straight hop flavors: grapefruit, orange pith with attendant citrusy bitterness, an flowery hop presence, and yet more citric spikes and floral notes. A small dried apricot presence comes to the fore here and there, and there is some but not much as far as balancing sweetness. Way in the background you can taste pale malt holding court but is vastly overwhelmed by the agressive hoppines. I could feel the warmth of alcohol down to my stomach. The medium/heavy mouthfeel is slick llike kool-aid and not quenching at all in the traditional sense.

The finish, which is only moderately bitter in the far back of the mouth, lingering for some time but with much reduced strength.

I am not a hop head but needless to say, I found this to be an immensely drinkable beer.

4.59/5  rDev +12.8%

Enjoy by 11/9/06.

Clear, light, golden ale with good head retention till the last drop. Perfect amount of carbonation, small bubbles when swirled, but oh my the smell!

Beautiful floral hop smell. Tastes delish. The hop/berries/herb smell is balanced so well for a IIPA. Crisp, citrusy, some sort of pine or spuce. This is superbly mellow and very drinkable. Definately not walloped by hops...more in the way of subtle beauty. Not what I was expecting but oh so pleasantly surpised.

I'm taking my time to enjoy this beer in its entirety. Also note that this was taken out of my pantry on a warm evening. Served relatively warm at just below the room temperature of our house (pantry is a few degrees colder).

Serve this one relatively WARM imho. Savor the flavor, the smells, the beauty and suttleness of a great IIPA. I believe this beer could help pave the way for world peace.

Thanks Victory.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Looks: Golden and clean. I am quite surprised at the colour after pouring this. A smallish white cap props itself atop the uncharacteristically coloured beer and holds for a few seconds before dissolving into surface froth. Random scattershot lacing and a few rather developed peninsulas form as I reduce the level of liquid by degrees. Sparse carbonation activity carries on within the liquid as confused looking little bubbles pop up and wander aimlessly upward.

Smell: Heavy grass and chlorophyll green outdoor scents ooze off the top of this brew. Smells of fresh cut spruce tops with sap and resin drizzle. A unique and intriguing hop boquet.

Taste: Somewhat funky. Not as bitter as I was expecting. Definite vegetable impressions from the abundance of hop matter that produced this flavour. Chlorophyll and grassy greenery. Pine and acidic fruitiness lie burried within the hefty green monster taste. The bitterness is actually quite subdued and the subsequent dry character of the finish seems overly mild. There really is not any true walloping going on here, but it does have a very nice, fresh flavour.

Mouthfeel: A bit light. The colour alone is enough to tip one off that this is not a very heavy beer from a malt body standpoint. Sure it has plenty of hops, but these don't lend any heft. It comes off crisp and fresh again but could be a bit more beefy.

Drinkability: Alright, this one really grew on me. I found this beer to be uninteresting and lackluster for the first few tries, then out of nowhere it just seemed to transform into a delicious brew. Very drinkable. Crisp. Fresh. One of the most unique beers I have ever had.

4.07/5  rDev 0%

Follow up to the 2004 version:

I'd cellared the 2004 for a little over a year, to do a side-by-side comparison with the 2005 version. There's no comparison, drink this beer fresh! The hops dramatically faded with age, and had a mild stale flavor.

Anyway's, the 2005:

Pours the same clear amber, reminiscent of a pilsener, minus the bubbles.
Hops smell different, apparently they changed back to the original hop varieties. Definitely more funk in this nose. There's a very distinct smell, but it's eluding me right now. A byproduct of Tettnang hops (new to me), if that is in fact what was used. Either way, incredibly fresh.
Not overly bitter, in fact, rather smooth. The aftertaste seems rather.. I don't know how to describe it except for it's like chewing cardboard. I've had the same flavor come through in my home-brews, maybe it's the hops.... Slightly irritating, but I'm glad it doesn't just happen to me!
I'll give this beer kudos for being a bit funkier than other DIPA's I've tried. I'm growing tired of the clean Cascade flavor. Yum.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Victory Hop Wallop is exactly what it sounds like - a beer that slaps you across the face with hops and leaves you begging for more. Pours a hazy light golden color with a fairly thin white head. Aroma is full of spicy and piney hops, so much that they almost burn the nose. Taste is a complete hop bomb, but with a firm body and a slight bit of toastiness to back it up. Slightly hot going down, but otherwise a great DIPA. I would buy this a lot if I could.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

A tasty brew.
Golden straw in color but with a slight haze. The head is bright white that stays around with decent lacing. Aroma is sweet floral with some citrus. Malt and hops blend well, with the hops winning out in the aftertaste. Nice hoppiness without a lingering harsh bitterness. The high alcohol is well hidden, so watch out, it goes down easy.

4.47/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle a clear straw color. Massive piney hop smell. Huge white long lasting head. Lacing throughout the session. Powerful all hop taste with chewy piney finish. This one lives up to its billing and packs a hop wallop. Like drinking a Christmas tree.

3.92/5  rDev -3.7%

Picked up just after thanksgiving from the brewery in one of their growlers (conveniently located just 15 minutes from where i reside).
Upon first pour i was disappointed, not from its appearance, but because i could have sworn i was served victory's pilsner or golden monkey due to its clear golden-orange-amber color. I was expecting a deep amber red. But, after getting a whif, there was no mistaking its identity. Smells like a mellowed grapefruit aroma. It has about a half inch head rising from a very slow pour. Its taste possesses that same mellow grapefruit-hoppy flavor that the smell does but with some citrus mixed in.
The body and drinkability are so uncharacteristic of other beers Ive had of this style (Stoudts DIPA). It is very light and finely carbonated, just like the prima pils i almost mistook it foor. If any DIPA could be a session beer, id say it would be Hop Wallop (if any 8.5% abv beer could be a session beer).
Although im not necessarily crazy about the style, Id definitly recommend this over and over again to someone who wants something with more of a kick when it comes to flavor.

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I love living in the upstate of SC and being able to cross the border into the newly beered-up state of NC. This pours out golden yellow. Low carbonation.
Smells like a big liquid hop. Very grassy, like I'm rolling around in a pile of hops.
Tasty is fresh and bitter, aggressively hopped. It's actually kind of pointless to review this beer, cause the name tells you everything you need to know. It's hoppy and delicious, and is probably too smooth drinking for an 8.5% beer.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Another solid offering from one of the most consistent brewers in my opinion. I love hops, so i was excited to try this beer. It pours thick cloudy orange and to be honest I did not get much in the way of aroma. Bits of citrus and of course ... the hops. Soon as the glass hits your lips, you know the hops are coming and they do. Solid, not over the top with a strong finish. The beer is exceedingly smooth for such a strong sided brew. Sorry to hear this one won't be around all year.

4.33/5  rDev +6.4%

Pours a light golden straw with two fingers of off-white head, good retenention, nice lacing. Hop aroma is strong, nice and fresh and grassy to begin with, a little citrus, and as it warms it becomes more piney. Taste is more of the big hops, citrusy and grapefruit primarily, although there is a biscuitlike malt lurking just in the background. Finishes with a nice long resinous hop aftertaste. Medium mouthfeel, somewhat oily because of all the hops, with a nice crisp carbonation. This is definitely a nice hopbomb for those who like them, but after hearing this talked up so much, I'm slightly disappointed with my first try.

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%

Recently tried just a bottle and had to run out to a store near my house to get more. So sad to see this is a seasonal, but will buy as much of it as I can fit in my fridge. Smells fresh, with citrus and coriander; pours clear and "mildly amber". Tastes even fresher than it smells with floral blossoms from start to finish. The finish, by the way lingers just a little...could be more. All in all, one of my new favorite IPA's. Not as overly hoppy as some other double IPA's out there. Also, doesn't feel like 8.5% so watch out.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a cloudy pale orange color with a modest head. Generous stream of bubbles from the bottom belies the carbonation.

Smells of fresh hops... almost sweet to the nose. Grassy and outdoorsy. Nice, but subtle... not as 'in your face' as alot of DIPAs I've had the pleasure of tasting.

Huge citrus flavour is beaten back by the hops. Very grassy... very nice. Once again, doesn't seem quite as pungent as many DIPAs, which I'm not sure I like... then again, it certainly enhances the drinkability.

Crisp and lively on the tongue. Moderate mouthfeel in terms of thickness... quite nice.... just right.

The overall drinkability of this brew is superb... in-line with that of DFH 90min, which I think is a stupendous brew. That being said, given my choice, I would take the 90min over this brew any day (something that pains me to say considering my love for Victory and their brews).
However, if given the opportunity to give this beer a try, it is definitely worth the $9 for a 6er.

4.2/5  rDev +3.2%

Pint at Mad Mex. This beer is a dark gold with a nice big head that leaves excellent lacing. Smell is all hops- citrusy and piney. Taste is powerful hops- very bitter and citrusy. Quite delicious but there could be a litte more hop complexity here- the bitterness hits really hard and fast here and is obscuring some other flavors I think. There is some malt here but not enough to keep the hops in check which is perfectly fine for a double IPA. Mouthfeel is a very nice medium body feels quite nice in the mouth. Pretty drinkable for the style. A very nice beer overall.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

Pours a deep gold with a fluffy two finger head atop that settles nicely leaving a sheet of lace behind,big brassy hop in the aroma and quite herbal that really sticks out a touch of pineapple is there but the pine is the most noticable here.Well if you like hops this is it for you,herbal and piney with a nice underlying citrus zest a lightly sweet malt backbone appears but is small compared to the big hops.Wow the alcohol is prevalent here mainly in the finish quite zippy and stronger as the beer warms.A big flavorful IPA in your face the alcohol keeps me from wanting to drink much though.

4.58/5  rDev +12.5%

2005 batch. A year later, after many more beers drank, I think I "get" this beer. It's definately a different approach to hopping than a lot of the double monster IPAs have, and I like that and can appreciate it now. It's more of a resiny, juicy, oliy soaked hop, with a lot of bitterness in the finish but not right up front. So much hop that it actually starts to take on a fruity characteristic like apples, or oranges, and that more usual grapefruit bite. Dry though at the same time. One thing I can't get over though is the color. It's amazingly light! You'd think a beer like this would have a much more robust amber color, but this one is straight up straw and crystal clear. Excellent lacing as I noted in last year's review. Snow-flakey. Smoothest mouthfeel of an IPA I've come across. Way too drinkable. I think I may try to stash a few of these away for the summer, as I think it'd be excellent in warm weather due to it's light body and refreshing taste. At the same time, it's robust and hoppy enough to be a winter seasonal, which it is. Awesome brew.

4.09/5  rDev +0.5%

12oz with an illegible Enjoy by date of Oct-29-??, poured into a pint glass.

Clear gold with a small head of white that after a few minutes settles to a thin layer of foam with wispy lace. Almost looks...macro.

The smell is all sweetend grapefruit. The little extra sweetness might be from the malts, but my nose is telling me to get ready for a hop assault!

The taste follows along the same lines, but the hop profile is not overbearing. It all but conceals the biscuit like malts. Again, juicy, sweetend grapefruit is what's going on. This is a real DIPA and not some poorly disguised BW. Lingering fruity hop goodness in the after taste.

For style, the mouth is a bit light. More carbonation might help this out. A fun beer, I could keep drinking this until I got too buzzed.

4.55/5  rDev +11.8%

This is a wonderful golden colored beer with a tall white head of foam that laces well.
It is quite aromatic with a great blend of citrus and pine.
The flavor is just as it smells, hopy. Citrus and pine all the way, with a mild malt character hidden in there just to balance things out a bit.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and nicely carbonated. Nice and crisp on the tongue.

This is a great seasonal from Victory.

4.31/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

I have never experienced a numerical anomaly such as this is while rating beer. This beer pours very uncharismatically, with virtually no head and no lacing. I didn't realize it was a DIPA until I started this review. Notes of tremendous pine and citrus emanate, there is a grainy smell as well. Hops abound in this one. Not so overpowering as some DIPA's can be, more like extremely hoppy Pale Ale.

I bought this at a pretty high volume package store and this was not there a week ago, so I am imagining it as being fresh. It comes across in the mouth as being a little stale, but at the same time, easily consumed.

4.02/5  rDev -1.2%

The name pretty much says it all. I was trying to explain to someone that this tasted like "hop juice" and he thought I said "hobtuse" or "hoptuse".
All of these apply.
Big hoppyness going on here. Hopheads, belly up to the bar. Pretty thick on the palate, unbalanced maybe, but definately has an appeal.
Nearly palate ruining. If tasting among other brews, save this one for towards the end. Everything else will taste like water in comparison.
Victory's Hop Devil is probably a better made thing, but given a choice between the two I think I'd usually pick this one.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown