Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Ratings: 3,704 |  Reviews: 1,898
4.6/5  rDev +13%

Presentation: 12 oz. bottle, poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance: A beautifully clear and clean looking beer with a radiant golden hue. Pours with a very healthy, lasting head, producing a fine lacing on the glass.

Smell: Citrusy hops dominate the beer's aroma, with notes of pine, lemon and some clove.

Taste: Moderate carbonation with a medium but clean mouthfeel. Up front, the taste buds are nicely assaulted with an intense hop blast of piney, citrus overtones. This is balanced out with a biscuity backbone and finish.

Overall: This is an amazing double IPA -- one of the best American double IPA's available. Drink with care -- 8.5% ABV.

3.5/5  rDev -14%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Hop bomb baby - pours a blend of straw and copper, decent white head that dissipates quickly. The aroma is pine, grapefruit, hop resin. The mouthfeel is a little this for a beer this high in alcohol and there is not nearly enough malt to create a balanced beer that i could drink more than oen or two of. Any malts present are totally drowned out by the stinging hop flavor. The hops linger way after the beer goes down and almost presents a heartburn aftertaste. I had last years edition in a trade and the beer semed less "green". Never the less, this beer is as advertised and is a definite hop wallop

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Enjoy by Apr 28 05. Nice and fresh. Pours an incredibly clear amber-orange with a white head on the fizzy side. Serious raw flowery hop aroma. Wow on the hops here. I'm trying to judge the mouthful but hell, the massive hops are too distracting. Citrus hops - orange, lemon, with a sweet malt backbone. I read all about the hype on this so I made it a point to stay objective, and I gotta say, this is very tasty. Don't drink it too fast though. Savor this one a little. Nice alcohol kick livens things up even more. Hop burps galore. A palate killer if I've ever had one. I'm going back and buying a case.

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%

Slight copper tinge with a huge white head. It could be mistaken for a german pilsner.

Citrus hop smell. Smells good but not really the over-the-top hop aroma I had been expecting.

The first sip is weird. Citrus acidity with bitterness, no real malt character. The second sip reveals the backbone, but with a very apparent bitterness. By the third sip I can find more malt sweetness, but the hop never fades. Very unbalanced and one dimensional. The alcohol is well hidden though.

A bit thin for a regular IPA, nevermind a double.

I think I would get burned out on this beer after a couple (or maybe this one).

I LOVE hops, but I also love character. Ultimately, hop wallop is a boring hop-bomb. Worth the experience, considering the hype, but I wish I had bought a single.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

Presentation: 12 oz brown bottle with the interesting cartoon. Purchased with a few other seasonal brews while on a recent trip up to Wells Discount Liquors. Currently on “sale” for $8 a six pack.

Appearance: Pours a slightly tarnished golden color with a healthy off tan head. Creamy, sticky lacing was evident throughout.

Smell: Smells super hop oily, with green hops and pinecones.

Taste: Don’t be fooled by the name, this is an intense, but wonderfully complex, beer. It isn’t one-sided and extremely hoppy, but has a sturdy malty body that exists as a firm biscuit undertone to the hops. And the wallop is there too. Pine, citrus, and alcohol esters mix with the bready malts to sooth over your mouth.

Had a medium body with a finish like a fine extra virgin olive oil. Not bitter and astringent, but smooth and creamy, without any acidic after thoughts.

Notes: Yet another amazing beer from Victory. Even more amazing is that it lived up to all the hype I’ve seen on the site. I almost didn’t buy it, thinking that it was an overwhelming hop explosion that would burn my taste buds dry for days, leaving me a beer-drinking shell. This is a wonderfully crafted beer and would go extremely well with food (had mine with pierogies and with nachos), with other beers, and as a session. I will be pained to save any in the cellar without drinking them all.

4.25/5  rDev +4.4%

The beer poured crystal clear pale golden with an off-white head which was frothy and moussy and both coated and laced the glass.

The aroma was grassy, citrusy and floral hops. Dry hop aroma was most prevalent. As the beer warmed and the head fell the malt presence was noticeable behind the hop presence.

The flavor was hops. The hop flavor was well balanced with malt and the bittering was well accomplished. The hop presence was citrusy and grassy with that same floral component in the background for good measure. The hops and malt could not hide the alcohol which is the only detractant in the flavor.

The finish was just dry with lasting hop bittering, grassy and citrusy long into the aftertaste. The body was medium full and well done, the alcohol was a bit on the hot side and left more than a warming impression, almost a burning sensation in the throat. The alcohol does detract a smidge from the flavor, but not from the drinkability. Burn baby burn...

12 ounce bottle. Enjoy by May 04 05 on label. Nice to see a beer made with mainly malt, a bit of crystal, and a ton of hops. It is not the most complex beer I have had, but a clear beer with higher alcohol, and nice hop presence deserves a decent rating.

4.49/5  rDev +10.3%

Considering the limited availability and the notice from Victory about the importance of aging, I figured I should finally get a case since I missed out last year.

Appearance - I was expecting more, honestly. From what I've seen in the past the appearance doesn't rank as high as I wanted. Not as hazy as I was expecting, and the head was fairly thin and white. Still pretty good, though.

Smell - Beautiful. Fragrant hops and mild bitterness. A field of flowers.

Taste - Extremely delicious. Smell carries over into the taste, and the bitterness is the perfect compliment to how flavorful the hops infusion is in the beer. Everything is better as it warms, and I'm curious to crack one open at cellar temperature next time. Alcohol is also not evidenced very well; it's hidden in the beautiful balance.

Mouthfeel - Definitely nothing wrong with it. Coats the mouth in flavor. Not too carbonated. Great overall.

Drinkability - I gave the drinkability a 4 for some good reasons. At 8.5%, clearly you don't want to make it a session beer. It's also so good that it needs to be sipped and had very slowly to really enjoy the flavors as it warms. Then again, it's so tasty that it's hard to only have just one.

I paid about $32 for a case. I recommend a purchase for sure if you're a fan of hoppy beers or IPA. I can't wait to see what happens over the next few years as I keep it in the cellar.

3.91/5  rDev -3.9%

Ok so I finally got my hands one of these after missing out last winter in its debut (and all the hype). Not sure how it compares to last year's version. But here it goes.

Pours a golden yellow-brown. Nice head. The smell is of the bittering hops and not so much aroma/flavoring hops in my opinion. I think this beer is bittered with chinook and/or maybe columbus hops. I don't really appreciate any cascades in this one. I feel the beer's hop presence is slightly overwhelming. Very little malt backbone if any at all. Taste is a bit stringent for my liking.

However, I felt the beer's drinkablity markedly improved as it sat in the glass for 10-15 mins. I suggest not drinking this ice cold but perhaps closer to 50F or so.

Overall, I think it is a worthy Victory beer but certainly not as impressive as I was expecting.

4.1/5  rDev +0.7%

This beer pours a nice bronze or honey hue, and from an aggressive pour I was able to get a 2-finger thick frothy head. There was good lacing as it went down the glass. The smell was sort of spicy, and a sort of apple-like hop aroma. The taste again, reminded me of apples, but was mostly a bittery hop citrus flavor. I think I also detected the slightest hint of malt too, but maybe I'm wrong. The mouthfeel was very well-balanced and had a definite hop aftertaste. My verdict: even though I'm not a hophead I still thought this was a pretty good beer.

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

Pours and looks much like HopDevil although I did not do a side-by-side comparision. Gentle fruity aroma of spruce, pine, and citric peels. On the palate steady hop bite but just enough malt to mild things out a bit. I did not realize it was 8.5% alcohol till I looked at the bottle later...fairly well hidden. Great brew.

4.53/5  rDev +11.3%

This beer pours a beautiful amber color, which completely belies the complexity behind it. From appearance alone, I expected something much simpler. The aroma of hops wafts from the pint glass as I pour this beer, but again, it only hints at what I'll find within. The aroma actually falls short of predicting the hop flavor I'll find here.

Upon tasting, this beer makes itself known. The hop flavor is astounding. You wouldn't expect this much hop flavor after seeing the clarity of this brew, nor sniffing its aroma from a pint glass. Bitterness is high to medium, and the malt support is adequate... meaning that hops dominate from start to finish, without being so over the top that I couldn't drink it at all.

Being a hophead, I could actually drink these all day. Wow, what a beer! Drinkability scores high here, simply because the bitterness behind this one is one to crave. I would compare it to what I find in Tupper's Hop Pocket, with a slight advantage in taste, but a major disadvantage in price.

You'd never know the alcohol content of this beer from the taste. The hops mask the alcohol nearly completely.

The price on the six pack is a bit high for the budget conscious, but I'd be way disappointed if I passed it up on that reason alone...

3.85/5  rDev -5.4%

This is a very powerful beer--high in alcohol and VERY high in hop. The on-tap version pours slightly cloudy, golden with a nice head.

The aroma is largely flowery hop. My daughter thought it smelled like oatmeal...hmmm, I don't think so.

Flavor wise, you better like bitter, bitter beer. The hop is overwhelming. The only way I knew there was malt was from the alcohol and the color. The beer is surprisingly rich given the flavor. The carbonation is expectedly high as a balance to the richness. I would not categorize this beer as "drinkable" simply because it lies on the outer extreme of an extreme category. If you're looking for something different and special, try this one.

4.01/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I tried this the other day in the midst of a cold and didn't think it was that strong despite other's insistence. Now I'm cleared up and ready to review.

Pours a bright golden that has a color gradient to a deeper almost bronze in the core. It shows amazing clarity and a mild fizz of foam that stays for the entire beer. Excellent lacing though, and a rather attractive drink.

The aroma is unique, I'll give it that. While some Imperial IPAs have heavily refined hop aromas that combine only the best, this seems short on the good hop aroma and leaves only a fermenting grass smell.

The taste starts as being a bit brash in its hop load, though a second, third, and even fourth sip are needed to acclimate the palette of this hophead to the bitterness of the wallop. The hop combination dominates the taste, though there is some sweet maltiness once my saliva has returned my mouth to a hospitable environment. It seems that refinement of hops that hurt the aroma does have some downsides in the taste, but the bitterness profile is unique enough and interesting in its own way that I'm curious how each sip is going to taste.

I'm really torn about how to rate the drinkability because this isn't a beer I'd want a second of unless I was planning on getting blotto and I didn't plan on consuming anything else for taste. But assuming that the serving is just 1 bottle, its right on. Even as I'm finishing my glass, I'm having flashbacks to hop madness, where I ate hop resin off a conveyor belt.

4.37/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

light golden amber with a sticky white head that laces all the way down the glass. smells so hoppy that it's piney in a very literal way. pineapple fruit aromas are in there too. sweet and citrusy with an almost marijuana ashy smell.
tastes like hops juice from some sort of hops press. huge citrusy hop flavors, some amarillo asprin-y bitterness too. a lot of bitterness at the end. some slight... slight caramel malt action that does not even come close to balancing or being a presence in the beer at all... awesome. oily medium body with fairly strong carbonation suiting this beer well. drinkability is 4.5 be cause in spite of the bitterness this is highly drinkable. i can see how this might be a little hard to take in quantity though. this was just about everything i hoped it would be, and i think this is almost approaching the pinnacle of what it is to be an imperial IPA. i would like it a little thicker in the mouth with a *slight * addition to the caramel malt profile, not to sweeten things but just to add some body and a little bit of a layer of complexity.

Bought in a 12 oz bottle.
Poured into the glass, this is a slightly lighter orange than the typical IPA, a tiny pure white head lasts for a minute then is gone ,leaving minimal laceing.
A most pleasant aroma from this one, very aromatic and hoppy.Quite fresh or so it seems.

Taste? 100% hop juice!!,very bitter aftertaste, though now and again flashes of sweetness and malt show through, despite thehigh alcohol volume, it really is not noticed.
Pretty nice on the palate for one so hoppy.
A most drinkable beer ,i dare say a hopheads dream!

4.74/5  rDev +16.5%

I had this out of a 12 oz brown bottle and served in a British imperial pint glass. Enjoy by date clearly marked for April 26 2005. This beer is a freshy.

The aroma on this beer is phenomenal. Strong whiffs of citrus fruit (grapefruits, oranges, and limes) and balsam fur pine.

Clearish yellow, light orange color. Nice sticky lacings cling and stay all over the glass.

Medium bodied with a really smooth mouthful. Again, pine and citrus are blending together to create a sweet and bitter combo. Sweet and crisp with a major hop bite.

Incredibly drinkable at 8.5% ABV. This beer is a treat and one of the best double IPA's I've had.

Recommended. I'm so glad this beer just began working its way into Boston. This is one masterpiece of an IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +9.3%

Crystal clear orange yellow in color with a nice 1.5" fluffly head. Numerous slow rising tiny bubbles make this look over carbonated, but it isn't at all. The aroma is of piney hops, grass, and mild malt. The flavor is strong on the piney dry hop tones, but the malt is just right to balance this out. Some grapefruit and alcohol are also noticeable.

The mouthfeel is crisp at the start. The finish is crisp and dry with the strong bitterness lasting long on the tongue. Medium bodied which makes this an exceptional beer to drink. Very easy to have a few in one session.

4.57/5  rDev +12.3%

It's hard to provide an unbiased review of a beer that has been so massively hyped, but here it goes:...

Wallop poured out of the bottle a shockingly pale, unassuming golden yellow-amber color, not entirely unlike the hue of the mass-market stuff. Hops note was present in the smell, but was also very reserved - nothing to indicate this was more than a run-of-the-mill pale ale.

The taste was magnificent. Such a purity in mission and flavor is rarely seen. Brew appears to get all of it's flavor from wet-hopping, and all of that wonderful brewed-in bitterness. Not a hint of the hoppy-sweet flavors the massively dry-hopped beers tend to get (DFH 120...). This brew appears to have been brewed from the pure essence of a massive IPA. Only brew that can compare in wet-hopped bitterness would be Stone's excellent ruination.

Mouthfeel was again good, but nothing to write home about. Cabonation was correct for this brew. Wallop was extremely drinkable, and the high ABV was totally hidden in the flavor. Not sure if the malt-heads would agree, but this is a brew that should be savored, but can be quaffed like a session brew. Very, Very nice.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Hop Wallop pours out of the bottle in a clear pale light orange color, much like your average IPA with a nice white head. The aroma is of a pine tree (a good pine tree on a cold evening). It has a strong bitterness, piney/alchol....very tasty for hop lovers. Hop flavor is good but the bitterness is what hits you and sticks with you. Carbonated on the high side for an IPA which adds a nice touch to the high hop bitterness. A great tasting beer to start off with or enjoy one or two an evening. Living in the northeast (about 50 miles from Victory Brewing) I was never able to get my hands on this beer untill now. It lived up to it billing. This beer only comes out in the fall and I would get a case every fall.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Definitely not what I expected from a double IPA. Looks more like a pale ale. Pale gold in color, with a somewhat rocky head. Quite clear, with no sediment at all.
Smell: A lot of piney alcohol, somewhat gin like, but not in a bad way. Malt comes through rather subdued.
Taste: Pure hops at first, but in a rather clean if piney and peppery way. Still not as much malt body there as I would expect, but more substantial than the color would have led me to believe. Alcohol is also there, but more as a lingering heat. Better on tap of course, but still good.
Mouthfeel: A more substantial body would have served this beer well, but it still caused me to reconsider how I conider a light colored beer.
Drinkiability: The farther into my glass I get, the higher I want to rate drinkability. This is most likey due to the strenght of the beer, but I've gotta give it some points for that.

4.32/5  rDev +6.1%

Appearance: Good golden orange color and modest head.
Smell: It smelled of bug fruity, cascade hops. I was very impressed.
Taste: Big and mighty hop explosion of fruity sourness and deep bitterness. Although not as intense as DHF 90 Minute IPA, it still a monster beer. What most impressed me was the finish was far less salty than other DIPA's. Very good.
Mouthfeel: Not as creamy as I'd like, but good.
Drinkability: It's great to finally try it, and I'll definitely be trying more of it.

4.16/5  rDev +2.2%

Appearance: Clear golden peach body. Moderate carbonation. A loose foamy head of 2 inches with minimal agitation in the pour. Nice overall look.

Smell: Not really strong, this has subtle smells of fresh hops, dried flowers, freshly cut grass, some light tropical fruit.

Taste: This is a delicate ale, not a hop soup like Ruination or Dreadnaught. This has a real dry malt base, with little residual flavors from the sugars. The 8.5% abv is very well concealed, and this drinks very lightly. The hops impart little in expressive flavor; rather, they only contribute their own real taste. This tastes like fresh hops, raw and green, fresh from the plant. These don't even taste cured, they don't give the multitude of flavors that hops can create. Fresh cut grass, perhaps some pineapple and orange, not quite as much ascerbic grapefruit of others but some. This finishes with a marked bitterness; it's obvious that some high alphas were used. Overall, I like this very much. It's much more approachable than most DIPAs, and I could actually drink a few of these.

Mouthfeel: Light for such a big beer. Really delicate, nicely put together. Not cloying at all.

Drinkability: This is the most drinkable DIPA I've ever had. This isn't so noisy that it can only be had in a single serving. I really enjoy this, and even though it may not be last year's groundbreaking version, it's still very good and a great departure from the sloppy "let's throw everything in except the kitchen sink " DIPAs that have recently come into fashion. A nice accomplishment.

3.53/5  rDev -13.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Light copper in color with a creamy white head, that leaves good lacing. The aroma is...well, hops. Citric, slightly fruity...maybe a hint of grapefruit. There is malt, but it is so overpowered by the hops you can barely detect it. The flavor is light in malt, then it hits you with the hop bitterness. I really can't even taste the hops, it is just a burning hop bitterness in the finish...it burns your throat going down. It has an alcohol warmth toward the end, but it is a drying bitterness in the finish. It is an ok beer, a little one sided, could use some malts to balance it out....but I suppose they were just trying to shock you with the hop bitterness.

It is overrated in my opinion. If you like just hops then this is your brew, but if you like a bit more complexity...then pass.

4.87/5  rDev +19.7%

another great Victory Brew.
Poured a slightly copper yellow with a half inch head that fizzled down quickly.
Smell was all hops nice grapfruit citrus smell.
taste was smooth and citrusy up front with a nice dry hoppy finish
excellent brew and dangerously drinkable as far as the alcohol being masked. its very hoppy and hard to drink more then two of thesee in one sitting though

3.54/5  rDev -13%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Clear as a bell, pale amber color at best, lighter than I expected (it also seems to look different than what I've heard about last year's batches). One half inch of fluffy white head of good duration. Spidery crystalline laces. Prickly aroma, hops give a mixed fruit impression -- almost like Juicy Fruit gum. Carbonation is more or less subdued, mouthfeel on the lighter side of medium. The briefest of malt hinted at by the aroma is quickly beaten into submission by an ongoing hoppiness that expands in impact, quickly moving from rind of cantelope to a burnt candle wick by the time the aftertaste kicks in. The 8.5% ABV seems moderately hidden but is noticeable. The overall statement seems clear, unidimensional, not that interesting, and a little overhyped. Yeah, its a blast of hops. What a SHOCK in American brewing...NOT...

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown