Love Belgian Beer?

Join us Sep 17 in Portland, Maine for Return of the Belgian Beer Fest, featuring hundreds of authentic Belgian beers and Belgian-inspired offerings!

Tickets + more: beeradvocate.com/belgian

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,899 | Ratings: 3,705
3.21/5  rDev -21.1%

This poured to a nice yellow and gold color, with a small head that lasted well and left some good lace too.

However, the malts are simplistic and the hop profile just doesn't work out that well. The drinkability and mouthfeel are reasonable, but the flavors present aren't as good as the competition. There's too much pine and not enough of anything else.

3.2/5  rDev -21.4%

Victory Hop Wallop

On tap in a shaker pint.

Pale see-thru gold body with 1 finger of bright white head. Palest DIPA I've run into. OK retention with some drippy lacing.

Nose is much more subdued than I anticipated, lightly sweet malt with some citrus and floral hops. Tastes tamer than expected, too. It starts and finishes with plentiful light malt, honey and just plain sugary sweetness. In between is a decent sting of lemony and oily pine hops, but nothing special. Mouthfeel is a little on the thin side, and there's a bit of a distracting herbal aftertaste.

Overall impression: Well, I definitely didn't get "walloped" with hops. Disappointing DIPA, although I will probably try/review it in bottled form as well.

Bottle into a Tripel Karmeliet tulip thanks to [email protected]

Light and bright orange, close to crystal clear. Huge pillowy white head leaves plenty of lace. Solid bead of fine bubbles.

Initial strong aromas of burnt plastic. Some pineapple, citrus and herbal hops are in the throng somewhere, but no matter how much I agitate the glass, plastic reigns.

Taste is somewhat better, showing impressive pine branch and Fisherman's Friend bitterness, tempered by tangerine and boiled candy sweetness. The chemical plastic character is still around, but much reduced.

Decently full with relatively high carbonation and an enduring bitterness.

Can't look past the plastic unfortunately. Either I'm in a small minority that is hyper-sensitive to a certain chemical compound that most others don't notice, or this is a dodgy bottle.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

Appearance: Very clear golden-orange color with a pillowy white creamy head. The head recedes moderately fast and leaves chunky lacing in its wake.

Aroma: Not as powerful an aroma as I expected. What's there is, of course, hoppy. There is pine and some citrus. It almost reminds me of the aroma of marijuana, although not as strong.

Mouthfeel: Nice smooth carbonation with a medium body. There is an oiliness that coats the mouth, but its not as sticky as many DIPAs.

Taste: Very hoppy and not as balanced as I'd hoped. It's still good, but it has bit too much of a bite and the bitterness is palette-numbing. It's difficult to pick out the flavors over the pure bitterness, but in the finish I detect grapefruit and pine. The finish is more of the same: very bitter with a not-too-pleasant aftertaste.

Overall impression: Well there's truth in advertising. It is a hop wallop. Unfortunately, for me it is just more bitter than balanced and what complexity may be there is lost due to the overwhelming bitterness. DIPAs are my favorite style, but this one just doesn't have it for me. It's not bad but it is definitely not one I'd buy again.

3.19/5  rDev -21.6%

A-Bright hazy golden color with a decently impressive foamy head. The color is very brilliant, much like Golden Monkey.

S-Now don't get me wrong, I love hops to death, but this one was so pungent that it reminded me of a barnyard. The heavy, resinous, piney, and citrusy hop profile was just a punch in the face (normally something I love).

T&M-The Full-bodied flavor is decently balanced between the huge hop presence and maltiness. A citrus kick (i.e. Grapefruit) is a welcoming flavor. The bitterness clings to the tongue with a vengence. If you want ultra-fresh hoppiness, this should cover your cravings.

D-Although not my favorite double IPA, it is still very nicely crafted. At 8.5% this one hits pretty hard so if I went more than two pints, I could find myself in drunken hell with gasoline boots on!

3.18/5  rDev -21.9%

Pours a hazy aged wheat color. A very deep golden color with a tan off white head that has some nice lacing. Not a bad looking brew.

Smell is of musty aged hops. Not the wallop I was expecting. After quickly looking for a best of date, I notice none and now start to wonder the freshness of this beer. There is also a malt scent but its not as full as I hoped.

Taste is slightly above average. There is a nice toasty malt flavor with a strong astringency. The bitterness is up there but there is no great hop flavor. A little oily pine taste is there but not a citrus hop wallop. Lame.

I'm kind of disappointed in this beer. It has a big ABV but not a great flavor. This one I thought was fresh but maybe its a little old, other reviews has this one in high regards. To me this tastes more like an average pale ale rather then an American Double or Imperial IPA.

3.17/5  rDev -22.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

OK. I just poured one of these into a stout glass to see if this helps. This one pours with a soft and creamy head. Very clear, very, very, nice aroma. I tried the stout glass since I was not impressed with the overall taste in the bottle. The glass seemed to help open up the beer. In the bottle the beer carried a flatter and sour or tart taste to me (if that makes sense). In the glass the bubbles (still rising) seem to really release the hoppy aroma and make this one more complex and with a cleaner taste than right from the bottle.

Bottom line. I really like Victory's hop devil. However there's something with the hop wallop that I am not sure of. Maybe I need to try another glass style since the stout glass helped.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

Appearance: Slight chill haze on a straight gold body. Head is creamy and white and super sticky. Drops to a wispy cap and chunky collar. Sheets and huge notches of lacing.

Smell: Some pine. Grapefruit flesh and some oily zest. Slight resin. Malts are big, chewy, and slightly sweet. Some mild roasted malts. Touches of caramel sweetness. Really smells like bread dough dusted with hops. Mildly herbal as it warms. Pithy.

Taste: Pithy floral hops. Like drinking flower petals. Vaguely herbal and earthy as well. Some grapefruit flesh mingles with some slightly sweet, incredibly bready malts. Some caramelized sugars. Cooked malts. Doughy. Warms and some of the sweetness drops. Juicy, oily hops. Dry biscuits and crackers.

Mouthfeel: Slick, oily mouthfeel. Medium body with a moderate carbonation. Smmoth and a touch creamy.

Overall: Hippies had a hand in this.

So floral it's crazy. Like a pithy flower perfume. Less than desirable in the long run.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12oz bottle, best by OCT-9-09

Pours a glowing orange color with a small rim of white foam. Piney hops and a large malty, sweet, brown sugar cookie character underlying in the nose, dont really know what all thats about. Resinous, oily hops invade without any true distinction, i cant get over cake-like malty sweetness going on here, the dreaded gym sock smell picks up later in the glass, the quaff ends very bitter and with a slight breath of alcohol. Medium bodied, with some rather weak carbonation. I've never been a diehard Hop Wallop guy but of course the first time i go to review a bottle i get the worst one ive had yet.

3.16/5  rDev -22.4%

A crisp amber pour with a billowing ivory head. Minimal lacing.

Smell was the first disappointment. Underwhelming spicy and earthy hop character. Caramel malt blows in stronger.

The hops are also absent from the palate. Not the hop bomb I was expecting. Malty. Boring.

No complaints with the mouthfeel. Carbonation fits nicely with the thicker body.

I'm being very lenient when I give this a 3 for drinkability. The first beer was a drain pour for me. A drinkable beer if you think of it as an Imperial Pale Ale.

Overall, this beer was a tremendous disappointment. The six-pack was supposed to be fresh, yet it tasted like a DIPA that had been sitting out for months, losing all the hop character I enjoy. It did not fit the citrusy/floral/piney American Double IPA profile (certainly not of the West). Hopdevil was also disappointing. Victory brewing makes an incredible pilsner and RIS, but I am not impressed with their "hoppy" beers. Too malty. Not hoppy enough. Poor representations of their styles.

3.14/5  rDev -22.9%

Slight copper tinge with a huge white head. It could be mistaken for a german pilsner.

Citrus hop smell. Smells good but not really the over-the-top hop aroma I had been expecting.

The first sip is weird. Citrus acidity with bitterness, no real malt character. The second sip reveals the backbone, but with a very apparent bitterness. By the third sip I can find more malt sweetness, but the hop never fades. Very unbalanced and one dimensional. The alcohol is well hidden though.

A bit thin for a regular IPA, nevermind a double.

I think I would get burned out on this beer after a couple (or maybe this one).

I LOVE hops, but I also love character. Ultimately, hop wallop is a boring hop-bomb. Worth the experience, considering the hype, but I wish I had bought a single.

3.13/5  rDev -23.1%

Appearance: Golden straw honey color with a cloudy mid-belly and a fluffy ivory cap.

Smell: Floral hop aromas, honeysuckle, and a strong flowery profile.

Taste: Bittering and flowery hop presence, a touch of light honey sweetness, and a light bittering finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: Too light. Hop Devil has this one beat hands down. I definitely got the "Hop" part of this beer but the "Wallop" part escapes me. Too many other good ones out there to bother with this one again any time soon.

3.12/5  rDev -23.3%

A: Pours a clear yellow-gold with a finger of white head that recedes into a thin layer with minimal lacing.

S: Lots of citrusy hops in the nose of this beer--some pineapple at first followed by sweet grapefruit. Fairly sweet smelling, but good.

T: Despite all of the citrusy hops in the aroma, there are very few citrus notes in the flavor. Some slight grapefruit flavors at first followed by very strong pine and resin flavors. The finish is very bitter, lingering well after the sip.

M: Medium-light body with medium carbonation, this beer has a bit of an oily feel to the body.

O: The nose promises so much but the taste fails to live up to it. Not bad, but too bitter for my tastes.

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%

I agree very much with the review two below this one.. Good if you're a hophead, danger if you're not. I'm not. Still, I'd like to say some positive things as well. The taste has been beaten to death, so let me take a crack at a new approach:

Advantages: More flavor and aroma than last year's batch. More fruity aromas and complexities to a rather overpowering taste. With a whole lot of imagination, you can pull different flavors out of this brew like orange and bread that were not as present last year.

Disadvantages: After you drink this, your palate is shot for the night. It is the hot sauce of beers. The lingering bitterness is a hophead's dream but the belgian man's nightmare.

It looks good, it smells damn refreshing, but the taste is a polarizing killer.

Victory rarely disappoints, and this is a novelty, extreme-specialty beer. I'm sure those for whom it was made will love it.. it's not my cup of tea.

3.1/5  rDev -23.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This pours a crystal clear, light golden color with a fairly large, white head that left lots of goodies on the glass.

Pure hop on the nose. Smells like I stuck my face in a resiny pine bow. Can pick up some orange citrusy notes as well.

The taste is similar to if I stuck a hop cone directly into my mouth and munched on it, then squirted some orange juice on a pine cone and took a big bite of that. This leaves a crazy bitter hop after taste on the palate. I was burping up hops all night long.

The mouthfeel is quite light, the carbonation was lacking, however, IMO with the amount of hops in this you really do need more of a sparkling carb factor. For those of you who have seen the movie "Me, Myself and Irene," picture the scene where Jim Carey walks into the police station with horrible cotton mouth: the white, chalky lips drawn tight over his teeth with that ridiculous sneer...that's how my mouth felt after this beer.

Bottle (2011)

Texas Liquor
Carlsbad, CA

A clear, almost straw yellow. Not a huge head nor a lot of lacing. Far lighter in color than most any other DIPA I've ever tried.

A relatively faint, bready, malty, and somewhat sweet nose. Not a huge amount of hops. Disappointing.

Quite a bit of hop bitterness but little else. A little cracker malt and some sweetness, but the main component is just a simple, relatively uninteresting bitterness.

Not quite carbonated enough. Has a lot of room for improvement.

An all around, boring, incredibly average DIPA. Where I find most DIPAs go wrong is having too much malt character where the hops are overshadowed or too much biting and hot alcohol presence. This beer doesn't have either of those, it's just so boring. This beer seems to beg it's way in to being average. I've had this beer twice now, wanting to give it a second chance, (and this time I knew it was fresh), and it was incredibly disappointing both times. I won't buy this again.

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours out a cloudy yellow with a fluffy white head. Some sheet of lace where left as I drank this. Aroma is a combination of citric hoppiness and a strong alcohol scent. The alcohol really doesn’t let the hops shine through like they should in the style. Taste is very similar with citric and earthy hops being big up front. The alcohol unfortunately is a big part of the taste, and not in a good way. Mouthfeel is about average with ok drinkability. I was expecting a lot more of this when it came out after the rave reviews last years version had. This one fell short and I regret buying a case before I tried it. When it was fresh the same problems stood out so I gave it some time and it still seems to have an overpowering alcohol presence. Hopefully this years version will be better.

12oz bottle thanx to honest dave

A: pourd a golden yellow into my tulip that had a finger of head with a little bit of sticky lacing on the glass.

S: right away I get bready biscuit aromas with a hint of citrus fruit but not getting any hops on this one.

T: Not a very hoppy beer for carring the name hop wallop. I do get a slight biterness at the end of a sip. It has more of a malt backbone with a hint of citrus and booze.

M: meduim body with good carbonation, but doesn't help propel the overall flavor.

D: I can drink this like a session beer and probably would only drink a couple. Not a favorite of mine from victory.

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

12 oz bottle with an enjoy by date of Nov 3, 2011 poured into my nice tulip glass. At 5 months out from the enjoy by date, I can't imagine this is THAT old.

Appearance - Slower side glass pour brings about a finger's worth of white head. Mix between creamy bubbles outside and slightly rockier ones on the inside. Head lasts a decent amount of time. Color is a bit of a cloudy lemon amber. Makes me think of lemon just looking at it, not quite sure why. If anything a lighter color than I expect for a DIPA.

Smell - The nose actually seems a little subdued to me especially for a DIPA. I'm picking up lemon/citrus, floral, and maybe some earthy hops along with sweetness. I feel like I'm getting also a little bit of a Saison-type smell or a Belgian yeast smell (Idk what type of yeast Saisons are brewed with). This does compliment the lemon citric character, but in my mind, just average for a DIPA aroma.

Taste - At first sip I get a mix of bready malt, citrus and floral hops, possibly some pine, but I may be confusing that for some of the bitterness. I feel like I'm getting hints of spice as well (like the Saison hints in the nose suggest). Hops are not as wallop-y as I expected from something named Hop Wallop and described as a "very hoppy ale". It's definitely a DIPA. Alcohol is not present at all, hidden very well, but shows its effects pretty quickly. Personally, I feel like the malt is too balancing and the mix of hops just don't do it for me. That said, it's not a bad beer, just not my preference for the style. In my mind really feel like this is just an average DIPA.

Mouthfeel - Mouth is nice and light, almost an airy smooth quality to it. Medium carbonation and a light-medium body. Finish is average, but good length and leaves the mouth pretty wet. Drinkable. Again just about an above average feel for a DIPA.

Overall - Overall, basically just an average DIPA for me. Can't sat this was a bad beer, but can't say I thought it was good either. Worth a try since it gets high grades from many other people. I just didn't really feel it.

3.08/5  rDev -24.3%

Pours hazy lemon yellow with a generous white head that doesn't stick around long. Very slight lacing.

Smell is crisp, piney, and a little on the sweet side. Overall, the aroma profile is a little thin.

Taste is smooth and sweet up front. Then a massive blast of floral and grassy hops takes over. Surprisingly strong bitterness that lingers throughout the finish. Definite warming alcohol. Very dry and clean.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. Sticky and resinous.

A must try for a hop head. But for me this DIPA was too one dimentional. Massive hops are great, but I would have enjoyed something to balance it. A little more 'juicyness' and a stronger malt backbone for complexity would have been appreciated. The Massive hop flavor is extremely dry with cloying sweetness. Not my favorite.

3.07/5  rDev -24.6%

Aroma
Very vibrant piney, citrus scent with essence of lemon and lime. Nice.

Mouthfeel
Medium carbonation, almost puckering bitterness in the mouth a bit of body and slightly heavier than water but not too much.

Appearance
Poured translucent copper/light amber coller in a normal pint glass with a slight white head with larger bubbles. Head dissipating quickly but there is slight lacing off what is left.

Taste
Scent doesn't lie, strong pine taste seems to come through to me with some citrus notes which overshadow virtually anything else. This is all hop taste to me.

Drinkability
This is a one and done I believe, bitterness a bit too high for what I like and seems like it would be overpowering rather quickly. With that 8.5% abv wouldn't let you get too far, but bitterness is main obstacle here.

Overall
I want to like it for the scent but I think they could have balanced this out a bit. There are good IPAs in this abv range with large amounts of IBUs I just don't think this is it.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

Ouch! That hurts.
Well, it has a nice look to it. Golden yellow with a big creamy head. The aromas are intense and interesting. Grassy and herbal, piney and unrelentingly hoppy. What a surprise. I swear I can almost see resins beginning to crystalize on the lip of the glass.
The first sip is overpoweringly medicinal. Actually unpleasant. For me this wallop is way over the top, all out of balance. Although I love a good IPA, I suppose I'm not a hophead. However, I'm open-minded and I'll try this again, along with others of the ilk.

3.05/5  rDev -25.1%

12 oz bottle (best by 12/16/2011) poured into a Duvel Tulip

A: Pours golden pale yellow/straw, 1 inch white foamy head that slowly dissipates. Leaves little lacing.

S: Ton of grapefruit, citrus, lemon, pine in the background, smells sweet

T: There's something that just tastes off and soapy. There's almost a cloying sweetness that adds to the off-taste. Citrus flavors are there but seem to fade in and out, there's a good bit of bitterness but I don't really get pine. Finish is bitter soap and medicinal (ibuprofen comes to mind). I'm not sure if it's a combination of the grapefruit and hops, but I just didn't find this pleasant and I generally love grapefruit IPAs (ie, Smuttynose IPA). Perhaps I got a bad bottle.

M: Medium carbonation, medium body, sticky and resiny

D: I did drink this fairly quickly, trying to see if I could get passed the soapiness and make pick something else up, but alas, I couldn't. Just tastes like someone dropped a bar of soap into a rather bland IPA.

I'm not sure if this is a bad bottle or what, but it didn't taste right to me. As I said, I love Grapefruit IPAs and I love HopDevil, but this just tastes bad.

3.04/5  rDev -25.3%

Served in flute.

A: Clear golden honey, very sturdy off-white head. I may be hallucinating but I thought I detected a greenish tone in the shadows of the fluffy stuff. Very nice appearance.
S: Freshly mowed lawns and corn husks.
T: No mysteries here, a clear sharp hop note (actually din) right off. A lot of pine rather than citrus (in fact no citrus), some bread dough in the end but...
Not a lot of other textures or tastes, and it finishes a bit weak.
M: A little soapy. Does not hold up very well after the first hop hit. Despite the head retention, very little carbonation detected on the tongue.
D: Not my cup of tea. I'll pass. With the hop craze in full swing, there are so many better ones out there.

3.03/5  rDev -25.6%

Bottle purchased as a single from Wine and Beer Westpark in Glen Allen, VA - DFH snifter

Pours a yellowy color with decent head, decent lacing. Smells kind of corny and slightly hoppy. Not sure where the hops are here. Taste is very bitter which i like, but the after taste is corny like a low grade lager almost. Feels a little thin and overall, I would not buy this again. Victory lets me down yet again.. ..

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown