Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,898 | Ratings: 3,705
3.02/5  rDev -25.8%

A - Weak yellow with a clean white head reduces to a cap of bubbles. Spotty lacing.

S - Some pine hops, minimal dry malty background. Not particularly strong in the nose.

T - Very bitter piney, grassy hops up front, and that's it. Not much of a malt profile to speak of. Gets a bit more citrus profile as it warms.

M - Medium body and carbonation, not bad.

O - Meh, not a terrible beer but unremarkable, hops are just plain bitterness with little balance.

3.01/5  rDev -26%

Bottle stamped: Enjoy by Nov 9 2010
Poured into my Kwak glass (I lack a better alternative at the moment).

A: An impressive amount of slowly fading, creamy head sits atop a clear golden-straw colored beer. Scattered lacing all around the glass.

S: Very grassy hops hit the nose up front. There is also a strong lemon/pine presence in the hop aroma. Very simple malt follows up the hop scent.

T: Seems like the malt hits the palate first, and it's pretty basic. Little touches of caramel, but not much else. Behind that there is again, very grassy, somewhat lemony piney hops.

M: Smooth and creamy, but the bitterness lingers for a long time and is fairly unpleasant. Everything else hits spot on, but it's just too...earthy?

D: It's a decent beer, but that lingering bitterness just kills this category for me. I'm hard pressed to finish the one I have, let alone drink another.

Bought a single, with a best before date of October 23, 2007.

A- a Bright gold in color, but hazy. A thin off-white head.

S- Scent of hops and yeast. Not strong however.

T- It tasted strongly of bittering hops, however the finishing hops seem muted.

M- Very carbonated, with a dry finish.

D- This is not one of Victory's better brews, maybe the bottle I sampled wasn't handled properly, but I expected more from this brewery.

a: clear golden color, with single strip of carbonation in the middle, nice head that dissolves very quickly, no real lacing
s: herbal like pine combs with medicinal hints
t: front-end is sweet, but the hops make their appearance known at the end with a bitter kick
m: light body, some carbonation
d: not bad, but have enjoyed others more. flavor is too herbal for me and didn't go down too smoothly. a disappoint as i've really enjoyed some other victory brew.

Had this on tap at a local pizza joint. Nothing terribly spectacular, just your average American Double IPA.

Poured a nice red/gold color, with a minimal half-inch head. Smell was fresh and thin.. like just a bit of straw and fruit and that's it. Taste was good.. clean and fresh, a fair amount of hops and sugar as well. I would have this beer again, but I think there are others out there that are better.

2.99/5  rDev -26.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a beautiful pale blonde with a snow white head. Aho would have thought? A India PALE ale that's actually pale.

S: Smells pretty weak hop-wise. There's a lot of sweetness and thin hints of hop, but there is very little hop aroma.

T: Nothing here either...I would not have guessed this was a DIPA if I hadn't been told. Its plenty of light caramel malt sweetness, but where are the hops??? Only in the aftertaste do I taste that grapefruit flavour I wanted...but even then its thin and metallic.

D: Not something I'd buy again, this is just a below average DIPA that's way too sweet. Without sufficient bittering, the booze is to strong to call this "drinkable".

Overall: Man, this tasted like a good DIPA that had been sitting for 3 years. I checked the date though, and its relatively fresh. Weak sauce! This is a depressingly subpar DIPA from a kick-ass brewery. C'mon Victory, what's up with that? I feel like HopDevil has more IBUs than this. If you want to call your beer Hop WALLOP, it sure as hell better wallop me...not even close.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%

A- Pours a hazy golden color with a dense white head of about 2 fingers. As the haze settles, it gives way to a clean gold.

S- Straw, some pine, and light floral notes. Not as assertive with the citrus American hops as most of the style. Almost as though it has a pilsner malt.

T- The proclaimed west coast hops begin to have an impact on the taste. Hop forward with sharp, toasted malt (only a slight touch of caramel) begins to even things out. The finish is somewhat disappointing as the lingering bitterness is spicy, yet lackluster in continuity. An unwelcoming bitter char lays on the tongue.

M- Drinkable with a crisp, snappy bite. Alcohol is fairly present, but not hot by any means.

O- Fair. Not in love with the idea that I ordered a 6 pack of this one. But glad I was able to give it a shot before it is impossible to find with production coming to an end. Just doesn't do it for me as the flavor profile attempts to be complex but seems more all over the map to me. Better suited for those that really enjoy earthy/herbal type IPAs.

2.98/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pours an off-yellow about 1 finger of white head. Lacing lasted through the entire beer,

Smell: smells of pink grapefruit followed by a slight malty smell

Taste: Starts off sour. Reminds me of pink grapefruit for breakfast. Finishes very bitter. There was no balance to the beer. No hint of the slight maltiness of the aroma. It was pink grapefruit then a puckering bitter finished

Mouthfeel: Medium body that you would expect from a highly hopped beer. There was very little carbonation.

Drink ability: Not great not bad. I think the overly puckering finish had me reaching for another sip.

Don't think I would purchase this again

2.97/5  rDev -27%

From the iPhone, therefore brief:
Bb: 1-17-12. Been holding off on this cuz my distribution sucks.

A: golden yellow with brilliant clarity. Single finger soap falls to a broken, yet topographically diverse surface of the same. Rung lacing.

S: Straw, metal and hay dominate here. Weird. Not expecting this, but the nose is unassertive and simple. Some underlying grain, but nothin much.

T: spicy and tea like. So much more subtle than many U.S. IIPA's I've sampled. Huh. Some base layer alcohol, low bitterness, and warm hay like flavors.

M: medium body and moderate to lo carb. Thin film of slick on the finish.

O: although not particularly complex, I could probly drink the he'll out of this. Very accessible, good intro to impy ipa's.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a large wine glass, a now preferred vessel for DIPA's. A rigorous pour yields a golden straw color with half an inch of white foam. Moderate retention and light lacing follow. Oddly light in color.

Nose is light with a bit of citrus and grassy hay. Imperial IPA? IPA?? Does expand to offer a richer citrus component with some warming, along with a subtle malt backbone, but remains thin for the style. Rather lemony and sweet with agitation.

Flavor is thin and watery with a citric close. Finish is slightly bitter yet offers little depth and grain texture. Becomes overly sweet in the end, particularly given its lack of depth and texture. Viscous orange oil in feel.

Overall the brew is thin, citrusy and light in body, yet it's fairly drinkable if you can accept the limoncello aspect of it all. Overall to me it's quite hollow and lacking, yet not offensive.

Best by Jan. 2011 on bottle.

2.96/5  rDev -27.3%

A- Lovely beer, strikingly semblance to a Helles Bock, though more effervescent: there's lots of lacing and a frothy cloud tops Victory's proprietary .3 ml glass. I like a little more caramel color in my IPA's, but there's nothing wrong with erring on the pale side.

A- Derelict apartment & pineapple juice predominate. With some dryed-out Christmas wreath aroma coming the closest to fresh pine. It's far from the inviting floral, citrus and pine scents that come to mind with cravings of IPA's. It's a bit offensive, actually. God almight, Simcoe is a curse on man.

T- More of the piss-stained carpet smell. Then lots of harsh bitterness. The bitterness ought to be smoother, but it's about my only friend while I try to contend w/ the cat piss aroma/flavor. There's a hint of sweetness in the malt; otherwise it's pretty mundane. Thankfully the malt backbone carries out its part, otherwise this one would be a disaster.

The after taste is of canned pineapple juice with a hint of Pinesol. It's not a harsh finish, but the beer as a whole is an enamel stripper. Alcohol is unrecognizable, but leaves warmth in the gut.

I had a past-prime example of this beer in bottle a few months ago and loved everything about the beer, except that the hops had faded. I felt cheated of what might have been the best beer I would ever have... after having my tongue raped by Simcoe, I'm glad to have had an old bottle!

M- The beer's oily as a can of shoe polish. The prickly bitterness kinda balances that. The 8.5% ABV is beautifully hidden, and the finish dry. At this point the beer is on par w/ the rest of the Victory line-up.

O- This beer reminds me of while I'll never own a cat. Beyond that, it's something I'll prefer to forget. I'm a hop-head... even when I try not to be. Unfortunately, even I found this beer unenjoyable. It was out of whack: the bitterness reached excessive harshness, and the Simcoe up front was all chemical and putrid.

I know there are folks out there who're in love w/ Simcoe, but it's known to be a polarizing hop. It doesn't make sense to elect that as the hallmark flavor of their Double IPA.

I'm a big fan of IPA's. Even more, I want to see East Coast breweries emerge as respected rivals to West Coast exemplars. This Double IPA was up to a tall task, but failed because, I believe, the effort was there without the planning. Victory makes some great ales, give this one a try only after sampling their other excellent products.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

I poured into a pint glass to an inch of head. The smell is dominant. It was very bready with faint hops smell. It is orange in color and a bit opaque. I taste the malts at first, but then the hops come through. It is just odd how it smells so malty, yet finishes hoppy. It is definitely not one of my favorites, but it is better than I remembered.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Candy yellow/gold colored. Little curdling. Aromas of cut grapefruit and little else. Flavors of ruby red grapefruit and little else. Bitterness is grapefruit rind and grapefruit pith flavored. Wheezes of lemon and minty herbs are dominated by grapefruitiness. The texture is nicely proportioned, validating the impressions of honey taken from the color of the liquid. I can't imagine what anyone could possibly say about this beer except that it tastes precisely like grapefruit. Not interesting and not quite drinkable.

2.95/5  rDev -27.5%

Yellowish orange beer pours with a very thick and sticky white head. Tiny bit of haze and a light/steady rising of carbonation. An interesting nose. Noble hops if I had to guess. Grassy/earthy/and a bit like a pilsner. Tastes very hoppy over the top. Somehow I pick up spearmint above everything else. Weird. The earthy hop smell comes across as an initial taste that is overcome by the minty/menthol like flavor. The hops aren't so bitter to kill me, but I do like bitter beer. Just a one trick pony with this weird mint thing going on. A very thick beer. If it wasn't for this minty thing driving me crazy it might be better, but not terribly impressed here.

*note: the minty flavor decreases as the beer warms up. So edge on the side of tastiness and serve it warmer than cold.

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

Poured from a 22 ounce bottle into an Allagash cervoise glass. Best by 16 November 2012.

A: Three fingers of dense head with absurd retention top an almost perfectly clear, golden beer.

S: Hops...some pine, some grapefruit, nothing special.

T: Something weird is going on here. It tastes like...plastic? Ozone? Moonshine? It's not pleasant. Fortunately, there are some pleasant, oily hops; full fruit; and a creamy mouthfeel. The aftertaste is void of this noxious intrusion and suggests this might once have been a grand beer.

O: Willing to try again, but, as is, unrecommendable. I wonder what happened to my bottle. 5/20 EDIT: I tried it again, and am willing to bump taste from 2.0 to 2.5. There is still a bizarre rubbing alcohol-ness to the flavour that spills into the nose of this bottle. What's up Victory?

2.94/5  rDev -27.8%

This is a very clean dark yellow/orange beer. Has a big creamy white head that makes a good lace. The aroma was sour and yeasty. Not the kind of aroma I would expect from a "very hoppy ale". There is a light biscuity sweetness just before the hop bitterness takes over. There is a dry hop finish but the bitterness in the after taste seems to be cumlative. So by the end of the beer all you can enjoy is the bitterness.

2.93/5  rDev -28%

The new batch. Enjoyed it from a pint glass.

A - Pours a golden bronze with a one finger head which dissipates in about two minutes. Visible carbonation thoughout the drink.

S - Hops. Pine Hops mostly, though citrus is decernable. On every brewery tour, they pass around a bowl of some aromatic hops and invite you to smell them. That is basically what this smell is - pure, raw hops. The abv is absolutely undetectable.

T - Hops. Not too surprising. It is not very bitter even, just that crisp clean hoppy taste. I get no malt, no alcohol, nothing through the hops. I guess that is kind of the point.

M - A little drying. Thin. Nothing much to it.

D - Not too bad. It is strong, so too many will do you in, and the hops ravage your taste buds. After about half the bottle, I really didn't want anymore hops. For me, this beer raises a metaphysical question: What is the point in drinking hop juice? I guess I hoped for some depth to this brew. It is obvious that victory succeeded at what they wanted to do - make a ridiculously hoppy beer. But if a brewery set out to make the most disgusting stout in existence and succeed, should they get a five? No. Pliney the Elder is another hop motivated beer, but somehow that succeeds were Hop Wallop fails.

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%

Color: clear; golden, light brown

Smell: little bit of alcohol and hops. other than that, nothing striking

Taste: slight bitter finish. pretty clean throughout. again, nothing too striking

Mouthfeel: smooth. low carbonation. little tingle on the front of the tongue.

Notes: certainly NOT a wallop of hops. no complexity. though this is Hop Devils slightly bigger brother, its still not impressive. with its good mouthfeel and low bitterness, i would say this would be a great introductory IPA for those not familiar with the style.

2.92/5  rDev -28.3%

If I were answering the "one beer" thread, my "one beer" very well might be Hop Devil, which I consider my "reference" IPA. I expected big things from this beer.

Poured straw gold and only slightly hazy into a pint with a thin head that dissipated quickly. The smell was hops. The mouthfeel was thinner than I expected and the taste was a bitter hops blast with an unplesant astringent quality. Very little malt or citrus flavor to balance out the party. I'll finish the six, but I wish I'd bought more Hop Devil instead. Disappointed.

2.91/5  rDev -28.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

I love an IPA as much as the next guy, but personally, this is a bit much for me. "Hop Wallop" isn't just a clever name. The hops hit you hard on the tongue, and stay around 'til last call on the finish. It's all hop and little else. All in all, an average IPA by my accounts. Would have liked a bit more balance to the flavor.

2.9/5  rDev -28.7%

Pours a crystal clear yellow, with a large white head. Surprising to see something this light.

Smells slightly musty, otherwise muted grapefruit.

Flavor is based on unripened grapefruit and their rinds. It lives up to its name of wallop as it assaults your senses with everything hops. I found little to no supporting flavors to help balance this out. It also irritated the back of my throat - which usually means I could be getting sick, but more likely because I haven't had any sleep all week. The aftertaste was quite strong of hops and reminded me of a copper penny.

Mouthful was decent. Well carbonated, medium-light heaviness. A real mouth pucker, though.

Drinkability is a mixed bag for me. Grapefruit and piny hop fad isn't really for me, but I have found over-hopped beers that are enjoyable. In every case it was because it was balanced with other pleasing flavors. This didn't have any, and it irritated my throat. All the burning I felt might not be attributed to the hops though, I was quite surprised to see the high ABV. I never would have guessed. I was too busy being walloped. Solid, but unbalanced beer.

2.89/5  rDev -29%

With the cartoon guy on the label and the hokey catchphrases(contents: hops, hops, and more hops!) I was skeptical.

poured into standard pub glass at about 53 F.

Wow. surprisingly light in color. Straw colored. Clear. little carbonation. Good head forms immediately.

I don't know if it is just me, but i don't get much of a smell from this stuff. Very faint hops....

I taste the bitter hops on the back of my tongue, but it just seems like this needs some balance. The 8.5 abv seems pretty well masked. I can taste the alcohol but not like you would think. To be completely fair I let it warm up to 60 F or so and taste some more....not much difference.

Overall this stuff is decent. I would gladly drink another, but not sure I will go out of my way to get it.

2.89/5  rDev -29%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle to a brandy snifter glass

best by july 18 2012 so i would assume this is very fresh...

Pours a nice deep gold with a 1 1/2 finger fluffy white head that sticks and slimes around the glass. Smell...hmm, well, it smells of a light piny hop, with a weird melted plastic meets copper pennies scent, and follows up with a subtle alcohol flush. Malty caramel taste, again plastic and copper, and a warm alcohol burn. Medium on the mouthfeel, highly carbonated. Overall, wow this beer sucks! (-A) for this thing? maybe i'm missing something but i could barley tolerate this for one glass. Victory strikes again...

2.88/5  rDev -29.2%

Well this is the first beer I've had in a quite a while...but that’s beside the point. Since I’m eating Mac and cheese (the cheap kind, in fact it’s expired) like a homeless f-ck I decided to treat myself to one of the beers I have stashed away.

Bottle is stamped Enjoy by Nov 09 06.

Poured into a 20oz pint glass it is a cloudy yellow with a thin pure white head which laces the glass. The head will shrink but still leaves a good looking blanket effect to the beer.

The Smell is powerful of grapefruit like a musty grapefruit if you can imagine what a musty grapefruit smells like... there is also a hint of pine in the smell.

Taste is much like the smell a powerful hop blast with a grapefruit like bite. The 8.5% can not be seen anywhere in the brew even after I let it warm up a bit.

Mouthfeel is rather oily with a even carbonation feel.

Drinkability is well all right. The oily feel is not my thing and the 8.5% snuck up on me like a panhandler asking for change.

All in all the brews not bad. In my opinion the hop devil is a better choice with a crisp feel. But this is still worth a shot.
Go ahead get one and tell em' Luca Sent ya.

2.87/5  rDev -29.5%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a corn colored yellow with a less than half an inch of head. Not a good looking beer, I was expecting alot more out of the appearance.

Smells like citrusy hops with some sweet malt in the back of it. You can almost smell a syrupy sweetness, I'm assuming due to the malts.

My first sip is taken and it reveals a pretty powerful hop bitterness and it wasn't as citrusy as the smell. Now I know why this is called Hop Wallop. The taste primarily is a focus of bitterness rather than a balanced bouquet of citrusy hops that I look for. Overall though, the taste isn't bad but not what I look for in an IPA that I will drink regularly.

It's pretty light feeling in your mouth. Almost like a lager but not bubbly. Not great here either.

I'm glad I tried this beer but I don't see me wanting it ever again. Kind of disappointed with this one.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown