Hop Wallop | Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown

Style: American Double / Imperial IPA

Added by Todd on 12-17-2003

Reviews: 1,898 | Ratings: 3,704
3.38/5  rDev -17%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Slightly carbonated apple juice. Extremely clear, little head formation (1/4” max) that quickly dissipated to form a ring around the glass. Little to no lacing. I would expect slightly better head formation/retention if it were warmer.

Smell: Piney hop aromas slight citrus, upon warming slightly, bitter grapefruit notes become more apparent. You can smell flowers too.

Taste: Bitter. I think that the bitterness/hops overwhelms the malt. Tastes more like an APA. I think a little more of the malt to balance the brew would help. Leaves a bitter aftertaste that leaves you wanting more. Overall the alcohol (8.5 ABV) is pretty well hidden – only a slight tingle in the aftertaste. Malt comes out and becomes more noticable with warming.

Mouthfeel: About what I would expect for this beer type. It is dry and thin, pretty light mouthfeel. Maybe a little too much carbonation.

Drinkability: If you want hoppy and bitter, this is your beer. If you want more balance, look elsewhere. I have to admit that Victory did a fine job of brewing an 8.5% ABV beer that hides the alcohol well and still maintained a decent level of drinkability (i.e., not too sweet or thick). I probably wouldn’t buy this again, as I feel I can get a similar taste experience elsewhere in a more sessionable beer for less money.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy wheat color.

Smell: strong oily hops.

Taste: hops, hops, and more hops with a nice trailing bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Medium to heavy, this beer changes character as it warms, and the hop bitterness becomes more evident.

Drinkability: one of my favorite DIPAs I very much enjoy Hop Wallop, if you enjoy this, Weyerbacher Double Simcoe IPA, Stone Runination IPA, and Dogfish head 90 Min. IPA are also fantastic examples of the style!

4.3/5  rDev +5.7%

12 ounce bottle in a snifter.

A: Pours much lighter than expected. A light orange with a wispy head with moderate lacing.

S: A piney flral ho smell.

T: Swet malt upfront with some hop bite on the back end.

M: Nicely carbonated and a medium body.

D: found it well balanced and highly drinkable.

4.42/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured into a Stone IRS tulip

Appearance: Beautiful light reddish copper with an orange tine. Excellent clarity. Off-white head disappears quickly.

Smell: Very citrusy. Grapefruit, orange-like hop aroma with a hint of pine yet not strong perfumy-like, very delicate aroma.

Taste: Complex sweet citrusy hop flavors. Grapefruit, orange, lemon and a bit of pine. a clean maltiness is behind. High hop bitterness is in the aftertaste but not overpowering.

Mouthfeel: Medium light body. Smooth, medium carbonation.

Notes: One of my favorite DIPA. Tastes like a juicy ripe grapefruit. Very aromatic. High hop bitterness presents but not overpowering. Not a hop monster, I call it as the queen of the hops, very sophisticated aromatic hop flavors. Excellent DIPA. Definitely Outstanding.

4.61/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

A: golden amber, great thick, frothy head, great retention.
S: love the nose. Caramel-covered red delicious apple, brown sugar melted & combined with maple syrup, Mellon.
T: beautifully balanced. Hops are there but not in-your-face. Malt to balance w/o being sweet. Light on the palate. Refreshing for high alcohol DIPA.
O: amazing beer...glad I tried it.

4.22/5  rDev +3.7%

12 oz bottle poured in a Duvel tulip

Appearance - Pours a crystal clear golden yellow, with a nice creamy head that settles quite quickly

Smell - Incredibly citrusy piney aroma. Subtle hints of lemon as well.

Taste/Mouthfeel - This beer is all about the hops. Medium bodied brew, with a malt backbone that is always masked by the hops. It's hard to recognize much else in the taste other than the huge citrus piney blast from the hops. Citrus flavor lingers around even in the aftertaste. Excellent.

One excellent double IPA....Hop Wallop is an great example of the style.

3.98/5  rDev -2.2%

A: A lovely golden color, honey like in a tulip. Moderate carbonation, approx. 1/2" head which quickly diminished without lacing.

S: A bold hop aroma, very full, crisp and bright with fruity and floral tones.

T: A strong hop nature, with earthy tones. Very well balanced to the malt, significantly impressive based on the alcohol content of the brew.

M: Creamy, the fresh hop oils cling to the mouth and leave wonderful flavors behind.

D: Extremely refreshing for a beer of a higher ABV, definitely something to try again.

4.82/5  rDev +18.4%

Appearance: Golden with an orange/amber background. Long lasting and sticky head that slowly diminishes and leaves behind plenty of lace.

Smell: This is a noseful of citrus and tropical hops. Lots of orange, lemon, and grapefruit. It's one to really appreciate the smell.

Taste: Big fruity and citrus hops. The hops completely dominate your taste-buds, but in a way any hop-lover is a big fan of.

Mouthfeel: Sticky and chewy and very full.

Overall: This is one of my favorite Imperial IPAs. It hits everything you're looking for in this style: Big on the nose and even bigger in flavor.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Hop Wallop from Victory is a nice brew. This is not a beer for those who don't have a pallate for hoppy brews. As the title indicates this Hop Wallop is full of hops. It pours a creamy blonde, great lacing and the appearance of an unfiltered brew. The nose, however, is not as present as the taste would indicate. I love hoppy beers and this is right there with the best of them. Enjoyable as it is, be carful, as Hop Wallop is 8.5% and can sneak up on you in a hurry. Overall, Victory has done a nice job with Hop Wallop. Enjoy responsibly!! Cheers!

4.67/5  rDev +14.7%

After pouring from a bottle into a pint glass (I had no snifter), a thick head quickly rises, but then quickly disappears. Beautiful lacing. The smell is very hoppy, and the beer is a nice golden brown (more golden) color.

The taste is very hoppy and complex. Hops are up front, then come back to bite you at the finish. Not piney like Stone's IPA, but more floral. The mouthfeel is fantastic. Not too carbonated, but very thick.

Except for the high abv, I could drink this all night.

2.2/5  rDev -45.9%

I had high hopes for this beer: it's my favorite style, it's plentiful and relatively inexpensive in my area, it has excellent reviews on BA, and it's got a cool name. I thought this might become a go-to beer for me.

What a disappointment! It sure didn't look like an IPA, its pale yellow color more befitting a pilsner. It didn't smell like an IPA, either - more like straw. Its taste resembled that of a failed IPA: quite bitter, but with hardly any hop flavor or malt presence. Had you told me I was drinking some kind of bitter macro lager I would have believed you.

I'm honestly baffled by other reviews that describe this beer as hoppy, flavorful, etc. Could I have simply gotten a bad bottle? Seems improbable, as there are several other reviews that describe what I encountered. Nonetheless, I hold out hope that I'll be able to edit my review next time I try this beer.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Visual: Two finger eggshell white head that lasts forever. Extremely thick lacing on the glass. I wish I could upload a picture of it because it is pretty impressive. Color is light gold.

Aroma: Very malty smell with just the slightest fragrance of citrus hops. I was getting ready to cry “false advertising” but…

Taste: Wowsers! I found the hops! The hop bitterness builds in the front and just washes over your entire mouth. There is no quit. It lingers and you get a jolt to the taste buds every time you breathe in for the next several minutes.

Mouth Feel: This beer takes over your mouth. The bitterness is combined with a tingle… not from carbonation though. I think it is chemical burns from the hops <smiles ear to ear>. Even several minutes after a sip, the center of my tongue feels like I just licked a 9-volt battery. Don’t get me wrong… there is no metallic taste or anything… just tongue damage… but in a good way!

Drink-ability: The bottle says this beer is 8.5% ABV, so if I was trying to stay sober while out on the town my first inclination would be to stay away from this one. However this beer will make you slow down considerably. Take a sip, and then put it down for a minute or two… your mouth will still feel like you just sipped it merely seconds ago. I guess this is the beer that keeps on giving. But at the same time, I can’t imagine drinking more than one of these.

Impressions: Lives up to the hype. They add a ton o hops to this guy during the boil because the bitterness just keeps coming. Reminds me of Spinal Tap, “Yeah, but this one goes to eleven”. If I was the brewer I would be tempted to do a little dry hopping as well though because the aroma on this beer is relatively weak.

4.08/5  rDev +0.2%

Nice orangey pour. Nice head that lasted as long as I drank; solid lacing. Just generally looks like a sexy ale.

Smells more piney than I had imagined, some orange/grapefruit, but again, piney dominated for me.

I. Love. The. Taste. It is a wallop of hops, indeed, but there's a sweetness that finishes you off just perfectly, too, as the hops recede. I guess it's -supposed- to be bitter through and through, but I think the balance here is divine. Bitter, hoppy, sweet, bready... ah. Marvelous.

Perfect carbonation. An appropriate challenge to the palate.

Overall, I'd drink this one regularly. So much to appreciate here. I'll throw down 6 bucks for a 22oz. any day of the week.

3.75/5  rDev -7.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Appearance: dark gold, fizzing

Smell: strong obvious hops to come

Taste: a tad harsh from hops and obvious ABV. Maybe a little petey. Rugged.

Mouthfeel: full bodied, but was not as perky as many IPA or as robust as imperial IPA

Overall: decent for a first try, expected either more liveliness or more intensity in flavor but instead this was a fat beer with felt heavy not happy

4.5/5  rDev +10.6%

i have filled several growlers of this over the last couple weeks and am finally getting around to reviewing...

smell is a citrus lemony hoppy bouquet...mouthfeel is beeee u tiful and smooth.

taste...grapefuit and hops, lemon and honey w/a small alchohol burn and thennn mega-hops.

because i work 1 mile from victory brewing, making this my 'go to' beer was easy as breathing...1/2 a growler and a couple hits is all that's needed for a NICE evening.

3.73/5  rDev -8.4%

Good quality beer here. As a general preference, I enjoy piney and bitter hops - and that's precisely why I chose this beer when making my last run.

Based on the date on the bottle, this was bottled up in September - so I'm drinking it a couple months later. Poured, there was a very tall two finger head - not expected.

The aroma was certainly hoppy - but not nearly as strong as I would've thought. Not exactly the wallop I expected. Taste wise though, particularly for a beer of this ABV, it's incredibly smooth. Appearance is decent - but nothing spectacular. A little more golden than I would've expected.

All in all a solid choice for a hoppy ale.

2.58/5  rDev -36.6%

Mixed dank and citrus nose. Mildly oxidized aroma. Taste is similar: a hint of oxidation, mild dank, and moderate citrus. Mildly astringent as well. Thin head, with good lacing. Mouthfeel thin-medium. No heat. I generally like Victory beers, and was pretty disappointed with this one.

4.05/5  rDev -0.5%

Pours a golden, almost orange color with a thin white head that dissolved leaving little patchworks of bubbles. The smell was a strong floral and pine scent of hops. The first taste was a full on hops rush. I could get a little citrus and lemon zest at the end, but the hops pretty much ran this show. After the initial assault on my tastebuds, the next few sips seemed to calm down, more of the citrusy notes came through and it actually became quite smooth and drinkable. It felt light and prickly in my mouth and left just a tinge of alcohol warmth. Another strong contender from Victory Brewing.

3.74/5  rDev -8.1%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a pint glass (tulip style)

At first site this brew is fairly pale and golden. The head pours thick and though it dissipates soon it also retains a nice wet lace. It's aroma is summed up in one word, "Hops" and you can smell it as soon as you pour. Defiantly earthy.

At first sip the hops are evident yet not too over powering which is fairly pleasing. Towards the aftertaste and with a proper mouthful the hops shine, giving you the taste you expect from a beer called "hop wallop". The higher abv is fairly covered by this wallop.

I would rate drinkability high. My wife, not a fan of the more hopsy beers, took a sip and still said she liked it which I can only attribute to that initial easy sipping smooth taste. As far as Victory goes, I may recommend HopDevil before Hop Wallop but this is still goodie.

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a glass.

A - Transparent light yellow color with with a nice white head. Good lacing.

S - Subtle sweet citrus aroma at first. Sweeter malty citrus aroma as the beer warms.

T - Crisp dry bitterness with a grapefruity flavor.

M - Smoother creamy flavor/feel as it sits on the palette.

D - Very drinkable. Nice crisp flavors. Great beer as the weather starts to warm up!

4.28/5  rDev +5.2%

Pours a darker, golden yellow. Almost like a bronze. Head is about 1 inch, spongy foam with some lacing.

In a word, the smell is hops. Spicy pine and pine sap overtones. This beer seems purpose-built, as the name suggests.

Wow. These hops are not screwing around. No real fruit in the profile; this offers much more of a floral/pine taste. The bitterness is robust, and the finish gives just a subtle hint of sweetness, but if you're not paying attention it easily goes unnoticed. Body is medium-thin weight, with moderate carbonation. The glass now shows substantial lace/head rings.

Overall, this is a very hoppy beer. I would offer this to any hophead and expect them to be well-satisfied, as I am now. If you don't like this, you don't like hops.

4.4/5  rDev +8.1%

Awesome beer with a great sweet hoppy flavor and a subtle bitter finish with a similar aroma. Golden color with an above average head retention for a strong ipa--given the carbonation factor.

One of the better DIPA's I've had

I could drink this again and again--2 thumbs up

4.24/5  rDev +4.2%

As soon as I opened this one up I knew it was going to be good. Smelled the hops as soon as the bottle cap was off. Appearance was good, poured well and almosted cascaded. Taste was good too, the higher alcohol content didn't over power the intense hops.

4.15/5  rDev +2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass. This is the first time I've tasted this beer.

Appearance: Nice golden/yellow color. This beer featured a nice thick head...a little more than a fingers worth. The head stays around for a few minutes, and also has nice legging on the glass.

Smell: This beer has a strong citrus fruit scent to it. There is also floral and sweet smells present.

Taste: Very pleasant tastes here. It starts off smooth with some mild hop flavors, and then transitions into a sweet grapefruit/orange sweetness. It seems to finish off with a prominent bitter hops taste. This is much more sweet than I expected, and not as hoppy as I would have thought. It is still a very pleasant beer.

Mouthfeel: The beer feels nice. Carbonation is fairly low, but not too low. It feels slightly sticky because of the sweetness thought, maybe a little too much.

Drinkability: This beer goes down smoothly. Although it is a bit too sweet/fruity for my tastes, I think I could drink a couple-few of these and be very happy.

4.72/5  rDev +16%

Served cool, poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance: Light golden color, significantly lighter than HopDevil. Pours a thin head that recedes quickly. Nice lacing on the glass, as I drink I can see the resinous hop oils sliding slowly along the glass - a beautiful sight.

Smell: Very strong hop aromas, a distinct boozy alcohol element to the smell. I'm anticipating quite the walloping of my taste buds.

Taste: Beautiful. Tastes like pure hop ambrosia, a fitting tribute to the immense, seductive powers of the hop. A small malt backbone gives the beer a good base, I am happy to report that the malt is much more toned down than HopDevil. This one is a sipper, and an amazing one at that.

Mouthfeel: Likewise quite grand. The stickiness of the hop oils leaves the mouthfeel full and syrupy. A perfect amount of carbonation, more than appears in the glass.

Overall: Hot damn, this is delicious stuff. The appearance and smell - while good - did not give me a clue to how delicious this beer would be.

Hop Wallop from Victory Brewing Company - Downingtown