Sour Monkey

Outstanding
Sour MonkeySour Monkey
Notes: HOPS: Tettnang
MALTS: Pilsner

Fruity notes from imported Belgian yeast swirl through a precise souring. Pucker up to a bite of citrus laden tang ending with a delectable experience.
Reviews: 249 | Ratings: 1,158 | Log in to view all ratings and sort
snaotheus from Washington

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

2021-04-25
12oz bottle served in a tulip. Bottled on 14 Nov 2019. Gift from a friend.

Pours clear yellow with a small head and not much carbonation. Smell is a little spice, a little yeast, a little banana, something slightly lemony.

Taste is very tart, very citrus juicy. Very very citrus juicy. I get almost no funky brett characteristics, I do get a bit of a bitter finish, maybe lemon zest or herbal bitterness or a combination of them.

Mouthfeel is light and smooth. Overall...this is one of those beers where it's definitely not a good example of the style it's categorized as on BA. But it's actually quite enjoyable. Since the label clearly states it's a sour brett tripel, I'll score it as if it were supposed to be sour. I mean, Victory isn't trying to pass it off as a standard tripel, so why should I pretend it is? Consequently, I dub this a quite good beer. Dangerously drinkable at 9.5%.

Apr 25, 2021
BeerAndGasMasks from Virginia

3.9/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

From the can, it pours a very slightly hazy yellow color with a modest head that soon reduces to a ring and continent. In the nose, it is sour lemon and malt. In the mouth, lemony sour hits immediately, followed by the malt.

Mar 31, 2021
beershawn from Pennsylvania

4.73/5  rDev +17.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I agree with what has been written so far: a lemony-sour hefe with deceptive alcohol content. I actually don’t like that hefe/ coriander taste but I appreciate the beer for what it is.

Feb 08, 2021
BucBasil from Rwanda

3.17/5  rDev -21.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the 12oz bottle into a tulip.

A: The beer is a hazy golden color with lots of carbonation floating up within. Head was over 2 fingers thick, pure white and foamy with some good retention that left lacing around the glass.

S: Mostly lemon and a bit of Belgian yeast. Some soap in there. After a bit of warming there is some spice such as coriander and pepper.

T: Overpowering lemon and acid character takes over this thing right away and doesn't let up. This is sour for sure, but in a sour candy kind of way. The lemon taste runs all the way through to the finish, making this pretty unbalanced. It's somewhat refreshing but also drying and a bit cloying. I wouldn't call this a tripel either, seeing as though it really loses most of its Belgian characteristics and triple-like notes underneath all the sour lemon candy.

Overall: I thought this would be a different take on a tripel, but it's more of a sour lemon candy dissolved into one. I wasn't a huge fan. An interesting experiment, but I'd stick with the regular Golden Monkey.

Feb 01, 2021
guckymeister from Ohio

3.08/5  rDev -23.8%

Certainly one of the more unique beers that I've tried. Coming from goses, my biggest gripe with this beer is that the sourness really comes off as artificial.

Honestly, this beer really reminds me of a hefeweizen that someone poured some sour liquid in. For me, it doesn't really "taste" like a beer. It is something else.

Jan 22, 2021
BobH58 from Illinois

2.93/5  rDev -27.5%

Almost undrinkable for me. Way too sour. Like concentrated lemon juice mixed with some booze. A little sourness might be pleasant but this was overwhelming. Sorry to be so negative but I wont drink it again. Golden money is much better.

Jan 21, 2021
Weisenbeer from Ohio

Not super interesting to look at, appropriate sour nose, but drinks super smooth and taste pretty darn good.... I have no idea where they are hiding the ABV is in this which makes this a yummy yet dangerous beverage

Dec 31, 2020
HelloBrewklyn from New York

4.34/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Golden Monkey quickly corroded into a beer I cringed at whenever seeing in any bodega.

Sour Monkey is not this type of beer. I love a good sour, Consecration by RR being by far my favorite American Wild, and Victory has done a fine job bridging the high ABV in a sour about as seamless as what they’re doing out in Santa Rosa.

It’s refreshing, it’s tart, and frankly it’ll get you toasted pretty quick. Careful though. The hangover was rough after 7 or 8....

Cheers!

Dec 22, 2020
DavetotheB from Pennsylvania

3.97/5  rDev -1.7%

From a 12oz bottle dated "Best by" 9/28/22 into a pint glass.

Pours a slightly cloudy pale golden color with about half a finger of white head. Lackluster retention, average lacing.

Smells of tart apples and lemons and other fruit n.o.s.

Tastes mainly of salty lemons. Some orange. Very tangy. Alcohol is hidden very well.

Medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Tangy/salty aftertaste. Very drinkable.

Overall: For a style I don't visit often, this was really enjoyable. A nice change of pace from my usual IPAs.

Dec 20, 2020
Greywulfken from New York

4.05/5  rDev +0.2%

Groovy - reminds me of a juicy, wild ale but with just enough "tripel" to fill it out and keep it from being too tart or too tight or too ordinary - very refreshing, very drinkable - a good purchase... Best by bottling of 9/17/22...

Dec 19, 2020
gooddaydiablo from New Jersey

4.18/5  rDev +3.5%

look: shiny golden, very nice

smell: cranberry, lemon, green apple

taste: lemon, green apple

feel: thin, dry, hides abv super well

overall: a decent one from Victory, if you like the sour style, cheers!

Dec 11, 2020
brodyonthecorner from Pennsylvania

4.33/5  rDev +7.2%

Best of the victory monkey series by far. Smell is pretty standard sour funkiness. Taste is pretty tart with a yeasty funkiness and dry champagne like quality towards the end. Notes of lemon and green apple. Pairs well with the higher ABV. This a good nuanced sour that to me is more reminiscent of a dry sparkling wine than a beer.

Sep 27, 2020
Dodo2step from Pennsylvania

3.8/5  rDev -5.9%

A- clear as dyed yellow water. frothy head but dissipates quickly.

S- brett and banana and malts

F- banana and clove and mash malt

M- sour malt with lingering banana

O- i expected worst cause i am not a sour fan but i stomach this one and this was good.

Sep 25, 2020
secondtooth from Indiana

4.04/5  rDev 0%

APPEARANCE: Clean golden, with a huge head of white suds. Ultra-detailed lace. Really impressive!

AROMA: Sour Brett fruity, yeasty.

TASTE: Sour fruit and puckery, even! Granny Smith apples, citrus notes and a refreshing and deceptive 9.5% here. Superb brew.

Sep 04, 2020
Roguer from Georgia

3.93/5  rDev -2.7%

Good head production and decent retention. Body is light yellow, lively, and absolutely crystal clear. Lacing is fantastic.

Nose is fairly traditional tripel: Belgian yeast esters and phenols, banana, clove, pear, lemon, pepper. There's a slight mustiness, but if handed this beer blind, I'd never assume it was a sour beer of any kind. I'd assume that it's a tripel.

The flavor, on the other hand, is baffling and tasty in about equal parts. Tart, modestly sour, citrusy, musty, with a very light funk. This comes up front riding on a thick, chewy, sweet malt base, before yielding to tones of banana, lemon, and clove. It almost tastes like a blend of two different beers.

Medium to medium-full bodied, but drinks way easier than the ABV would suggest.

Ultimately, this is a really interesting beer, but I don't think I prefer it over a regular tripel. It's unique and creative, and it works.

Aug 08, 2020
tone77 from Pennsylvania

3.32/5  rDev -17.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of sour fruits. Taste is sour, barnyard funkiness, a hint of alcohol. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall it ain't bad, but I was expecting so much more from this beer.

Aug 06, 2020
CDBeerDisappear from Ohio

4.28/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Look: Clear golden yellow with a fluffy white head. Visible carbonation. Interesting lacing, sometimes it’s a solid coating of foam on the sides of the glass.
Smell: Horse blanket (I admit, this is something I was looking for from reading I had done about sours. I couldn't imagine how something could have a horse blanket aroma and still be palatable. But I really can smell it and it augments rather than diminishes the flavor) green apple and lemon.
Taste: Tart on the tip of the tongue then sour with some sweetness in the middle. Dry on the back of the tongue.
Flavor: Green apple, lemon, mown hay, champagne, white wine. All in all, a pretty awesome mix. I find it to be nuanced and interesting whether I gulp or sip. There is definitely enough here for a return visit. I was not expecting to like it this much!
Feel: Feels like champagne. The carbonation is lively, the finish is dry, the body is light. It makes me feel happy when I drink it, probably because it reminds me so much of champagne. I want to celebrate something!
Overall: I drink a lot of IPA’s, A LOT! And this beer does not interfere with my palate’s love of said IPA’s. I am new to and A little nervous about sours. I love the taste of bitter and pure, intense sour (Rodenbach Red) is not something I have ever enjoyed. The level of sour in this beer makes me want to drink more of it. This might open up a whole new world for me. I understand that for those who have already caught the sour bug, it may not be spectacular but as a sour noob this is a great introduction to the style. I’ve had this in my beer fridge for a week. I was nervous. Now I can tell you those other 2 cans are not going to be in there very long. Oh, the 9.5% alcohol is as unnoticeable as I have ever seen.

Jul 29, 2020
MrOH from Malta

3.96/5  rDev -2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Clear straw, white head that dissipates quickly, some streaky lace
Dried hay, horse blanket, sour apples
Tart. A bit of earthy barnyard flavor.
Nice body on it. Could use some more carbonation.
A good intro into real sours.

Jul 20, 2020
DTOB from Minnesota

3.26/5  rDev -19.3%

This beer is far too sweet and heavy on the alcohol for my tastes. It's not bad, just doesn't have much to offer in terms of complexity, and is so high in ABV that one can't drink much of it without coming to a conclusion biased by the effect the alcohol produces. I barely able to detect the brettanomyces it supposedly contained, and in fact couldn't pick up on much else than lemon, sugar, and a mild yeastiness.

This beer is definitely drinkable and enjoyable, just not remarkable. I'm knocking down the overall score a bit because I expected more going on in terms of flavor when I see that a beer is categorized as an american wild ale made with brettomyces. This struck me as a top-shelf, crafted alternative to malt liquor, with cool art on the bottle.

Jul 18, 2020
JohnniEMc from Pennsylvania

4.82/5  rDev +19.3%

First the anecdote: I first saw this on a beer menu in Burlington, NJ. I asked if it was anything like Golden Monkey, which I rarely choose to drink. "Other than the 9.5 ABV, they're really not much alike.", said Stacey. So I tried one and she asked what I thought. I started to say, "It's terrible ..." when she cut me off and offered a replacement. I told her she didn't understand. I was about to say that it's terrible that it's so potent, because I really could have done a sixpack in one sitting, but returning to Philly would have been problematic. That high ABV still makes it a treat rather than a staple. It's beautiful - a bright straw yellow on the clear side, with plenty of carbonation and a lasting white head. The smell is obviously influenced by the Belgian yeast and augmented by something that reminds me of lemons. This is one of the loveliest glass lacings I recall. Tart, more than sour, there's plenty of rich base taste behind the prevailing one. I find Belgian Triples to have a peculiar offsetting aftertaste that isn't present here. I know of no other concoction that carries a 9.5 ABV that is almost unnoticeable. A real treat.

Jul 13, 2020
officerbill from New York

Clear pale yellow with a page head that dissolves into a ring and islands. Not much of a scent.
Tart rather than sour with green apples, pears, and almost ripe green grapes.
Tingly with a long lasting carbonation and a dry finish.
A very refreshing beer. Easy to drink and easy to forget that it's 9.5% ABV. If Victory put this out at 4.5 I'd drink it all day.

Jul 10, 2020
zzachz65 from Texas

4.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Have never been a fan of sour beer but this particular one has just the right amount in my opinion. Has a tart flavor but you can also still taste the different flavors of the beer

Jul 10, 2020
chitoryu12 from Florida

4.12/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Look: Crystal clear pale yellow with a distinct green tinge. Two fingers of foamy white head with good retention.

Smell: The distinct banana and spice scent of the normal tripel, but with a slight sour citrus note added.

Taste: Much less sour than a typical sour beer, with only a mild tartness surrounding a sweet pear, peach, and apple taste. In fact, it's very similar to white wine!

Mouthfeel: Full and smooth with high carbonation.

Overall: It's often said that sour beers are beers for wine lovers. This may have taken it literally!

Jul 06, 2020
Walt1965 from Virginia

4.88/5  rDev +20.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I love this beer. I first had it at a restaurant my wife and I go to and later bought a keg. I had to laugh at one of the other reviews that mentioned it didn’t drink like a 9.5 percenter. They were exactly right. It feels very light but creeps up on you.

Jul 02, 2020
DarrellFine from Florida

2.45/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

Smells ok, looks like beer... but that flavor... what the fack. Oh my god. Sour apple, booze... and...maybe a bit of hops, but that sour apple kills ot for me. Not bad, but not for me. I would compare the flavor to a sour apple four loko, which l prefer over this. Over priced for what it is for sure. Paid 13 bucks for a sixer. Just not my style. I'll pass.

Jul 02, 2020